R4GN4R

Where the hell did the marketing for an EvE Competitor come from?

Firstly, to the devs - you have made a good(ish) game - I have put 376 hours into the game already

Now, i came here due to the marketing and advertising and references to the similarities of what this game is compared to EvE, and how it rivals EvE...

After 376 hours, I can safely say, It is nothing like EvE, It never will be, this was false advertising/marketing at a seriously bad level...
There is no economy, no market, no "Safe hubs", timers are seriously way over-timed, You don't have too much of a reason to go out and exxplore, it is forced gameplay to the point, where you literally cannot play the game how you want due to devs introducing permanent stat debuffs unless you go and do something, Age is completly screwed - In 1 month I have aged 100 years, The lack of player choice is somewhat blatantly in the face but disguised due to "The freedom to move around" - The building placements next to enemy territory, all well and good, but now I can lliterally place a cannon 8 steps away from someones building... I don't even need to think how to attack a group, I can do it solo, Just wait untill the players are asleep and then attack, 1 cannon, 50 - 100 rounds... There is no reason to group up, if you do your skill tree right you can literally have armour, cannons, etc to be able to attack ON YOUR OWN...

There is no thought of consequences, 90% of the time if your not in a big group you will be grindingg 100% of the time... Fire arrows are ridiculously nerfed, 10 shots and a bow breaks with fire arrows... Its fire and cant even burn through wood without 400+ arrows being fired at it...

All I see is another Ark game, falsely advertised, wrongly marketed, painted with pirates....

I am dis-appointed that I was lured here under false pretenses - The whole "Define your own character" stuff is rubbish, I age 100 years every month.... then get perma de-buff stats unless I ggo to the FOY, which I will have to do every time, just to ensure my character is not weaker than everyone else... Just to be "Normal", How can mercenaries work, when it is too easy for everyone to get the best stuff within 1 week of game time... EvE literally takes 6 - 8months to get anywhere near competitive at PvP...

I am not saying the game should go full swing EvE... But it certainly HAS to turn away from ARK... This whole 18 hour rubbish to capture a ship is ridiculous... Even if everyone is dead.... There is no incentive to be a mercenary, a Pirate etc - Sure its fun going round blowing up peoples stuff, but you are building a perma grind game for all the solo players/ small groups, you are catering to the carebears of PvP world who lets face it dont have what it takes to play a game with half a brain, there is no incentives for anyone to do anything other than "Build, Build Build"... Oh apart from the forced gameplay...

There is no diplomacy here, Racism is far too rife in the community, All I see is weapons getting weaker, tames getting weaker, buildings getting weaker but harder to build.... Griefingg is a serious issue, a serious issue.... But you guys don''t care... You wont divide the map to safe portions etc... you wont merge the PvP and PvE servers and just make the map 4 times bigger... You wont spread the resources proportionately.... There are currently 4 ships, and all are about the same in ease of sinking - There isn't a reason to build a galleon when it can be sunk as quick as a brig, by a brig with 30 spare planks on etc... There is rarely any PvP on the server its more PVsleeping raids....

I'm writing this, because after all the game time I have put in - I am extremely let down by the ggame, It is literally one big rip off of Ark, painted and sugar coated, and at this point, I think it might be wise if the devs / company stepped up and explained to the community exactly where they want this game going... With a solid floor plan of what is expected, and not in one months time for the next update, but for the next two years... where are you taking this ggame? what are you doing with the game? are you continously going to cater to the carebears of PvP....

I would like some sort of answer, as, as stated I was lured hear under false pretenses and marketing, The game is good, but it is not at all why I came here and has left me feeling very disappointed and mugged off, kinda like asking for a mint choc chip ice cream and given a cabbage on a stick with a bit of mud....

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I am enjoying the game.  I love building and sailing ships.  But yeah...it's not even close to EVE.  I've lost ships in EVE due to being reckless or not paying attention to who was in the area, but I never lost one just from being offline.  And don't get me started on the naked geriatric pilgrimage.  The resource allocation looks like they are trying to encourage ship transport, but it isn't fully baked yet.  It is still very early EA, but they have a long way to go to capture the spirit of EVE, if that is what they are going for.  It is very ARK, which is fine, but yeah - they shouldn't compare it to EVE then.

Edited by Vhalkyrie
  • Like 4

Not to invalidate everything you just said, because there are any number of legitimate criticisms to be made, but in comparing Atlas to Eve, are you comparing it to the Eve you played recently, or to alpha Eve prior to release sometime around oh say early 2002?

Because that would be the actual fair comparison here, not Eve as it is now 16 years later, but Eve as it was in the early stages prior to even beta testing. Yes they marketed it by comparison to Eve, but it sounds like part of the disconnect is that Eve is the game Atlas is aiming to compare itself to at release in 2 years, not right this moment.

7 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Not to invalidate everything you just said, because there are any number of legitimate criticisms to be made, but in comparing Atlas to Eve, are you comparing it to the Eve you played recently, or to alpha Eve prior to release sometime around oh say early 2002?

Because that would be the actual fair comparison here, not Eve as it is now 16 years later, but Eve as it was in the early stages prior to even beta testing. Yes they marketed it by comparison to Eve, but it sounds like part of the disconnect is that Eve is the game Atlas is aiming to compare itself to at release in 2 years, not right this moment.

If this actually is the case (I don't think it is) then it was folly from the beginning. Why would ANYONE seek to emulate early 2002-2004 EVE online? CCP Took years to refine EVE's mechanics. Do you remember how overpowered AOE Doomsdays were back in the Band of Brothers days? Do you remember the Gypsy Band 150-man stealth bomber fleets that would just bomb triage carriers and their entire fleet off the grid? People used to freak out over how "unfair" the game could be. Those tactics aren't even off the table to this day... people just slowly realized that they needed to react faster, they needed more competent FC's, better doctrines, better intel, capital support, yadda yadda. I come from massive null sec groups (n3), and later on in wormholes, NoHo. 

I very much agree with the OP. I played EVE for 14 years and I immediately saw tons of parallels in Atlas. At the core concept, Atlas is very much a game hand-in-hand with EVE online. The emphasis on working together, working smarter instead of harder, and shaping a section of the map (0.0) to your needs and wants, carving out a path as you roam through grids neighboring freeports... It's got a lot of eve-style gameplay to offer. The problem, as the OP said, is that the execution falls on its face. EVE established Sov mechanics so that groups in totally opposing timezones could still have an opportunity for a fair fight. If I go through the added effort to NOT sink an enemy ship and actually board it instead, clear the entire crew and destroy the beds.... I still have to wait into tomorrow to claim that ship. While it decays, gets hit by storms, possibly just sunk out of boredom from passer-bys, etc... and odds are I'm going to sail away, so if NONE of that happens, why the absolute shit would I stick around doing NOTHING for 13-17 hours on an empty ship?! I could go solo-build whatever the hell I'm claiming in that amount of time (except a galleon obv). It's a joke to even consider ACTUALLY pirating enemy ships. The only real viable option is to just sink everything you can and either A) loot it from the sea floor, have fun (it's not fun) or B) don't loot a damn thing because it's boring and you can just hand-farm that garbage anyway...

The meta right now is an lame joke. There's no incentive to sail around on ships. I see people having more fun building them and painting them than they actually do sailing them, because they never leave the fucking dock half the time. Offline raids are literally everything in this game right now. How you do the raid, I don't even care. Dragon? Whatever. Galleon with 20 large cannons on the back? Sure, 99 china boys love running around zerging anything and everything while 1 china boy TNT's every structure he can find. Bear carts with swivel cannons? Lmfao seems absolutely legitimate! Let me rubberband every 5.5 seconds so that the NPC on the cart just gets a free 1-shot kill on me, no big deal.

Whatever, I'm sick of typing. This game has become NOTHING like what it was made out to be. Yeah, sure, the bare-bones content is there for whatever they thought they were making? Some kind of MMO hardcore Pirate game? That's a bunch of bullshit when it's all said and done though, because at the core, this is just another Minecraft simulator where all the carrots are dangled in front of you to try and squeeze content from the game, but the real meat and potatoes is just endlessly gathering and crafting. I'm a stubborn jerk and I am still playing the game with a twinge of anger and frustration that only serves to motivate me to be a terrible, callous pirate. But, if I had to review this game right now and make it sink or swim, I'd call this game a joke. Early Access isn't a broad enough alibi to excuse missing the mark this badly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, R4GN4R said:

Its fire and cant even burn through wood without 400+ arrows being fired at it...

As it should be.

Mostly agree with the rest.

29 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Wow - Lets compare a 2019 game with a 2002 game, I mean there is only 17 years difference.....

Fact is, it was wrongly marketed and advertised - There is alot of potential, but all i see is another ARK game, all anyone sees is another ARK game - Let's face it, its just another ARK DLC.... Not even that cleverly disguised... To market it in comparison to EvE, when there isnt even an economy... Something to get started on other than "Hey we got a big map, grab your resources and start sailing and shooting".........

So much potential and althouggh alot has been done to fix connectivity, they are too focused on fine tuning the pointless stuff, which will break again anyway over time, than actually laying down a solid foundation with a roadmap to show people what they are doing... and when I say roadmap, I mean something better than a "Look what we are doing for next month"....

Facts are, wrongly advertised, marketed and portrayed.... Not even got the basics in to make this something other than a grinding fuckfest....

Survival, Pointless, you can just die and respawn... It''s 20000000000000x easier to do so, no real reason to spend all your game time grinding to survive? I mean who wants to do that anyway? Sure maybe half hour a day to get stufff, but not all day every day....

Sailing, Pointless - No one really sails unless your in a bigg group, cus your too busy re-ggathering from the night shift raiders... who took out your NPC, cus they wont move away from cannons when attacked to defend themselves.... 1990's AI architecture.... Bare bones and basic...

Currently, it is far too easy to fuck over that group who annoyed you... 100 player ggroup so what... They have to sleep sometime.... What happened to actually fighting - its more like teddy bears in a nightclub..... Try and become a respected merc/pirate? why? I can just wipe you in 10 minutes loot yourr shit or drop it when your asleep... There is literally no reason to respect others in the game (So how you gonna build a powerful and fearful character?)....

I could literally go on, those three points aint nothing like EvE, but instead direct criticism of the games marketing....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, R4GN4R said:

Wow - Lets compare a 2019 game with a 2002 game, I mean there is only 17 years difference.....

Fact is, it was wrongly marketed and advertised - There is alot of potential, but all i see is another ARK game, all anyone sees is another ARK game - Let's face it, its just another ARK DLC.... Not even that cleverly disguised... To market it in comparison to EvE, when there isnt even an economy... Something to get started on other than "Hey we got a big map, grab your resources and start sailing and shooting".........

So much potential and althouggh alot has been done to fix connectivity, they are too focused on fine tuning the pointless stuff, which will break again anyway over time, than actually laying down a solid foundation with a roadmap to show people what they are doing... and when I say roadmap, I mean something better than a "Look what we are doing for next month"....

Facts are, wrongly advertised, marketed and portrayed.... Not even got the basics in to make this something other than a grinding fuckfest....

Survival, Pointless, you can just die and respawn... It''s 20000000000000x easier to do so, no real reason to spend all your game time grinding to survive? I mean who wants to do that anyway? Sure maybe half hour a day to get stufff, but not all day every day....

Sailing, Pointless - No one really sails unless your in a bigg group, cus your too busy re-ggathering from the night shift raiders... who took out your NPC, cus they wont move away from cannons when attacked to defend themselves.... 1990's AI architecture.... Bare bones and basic...

Currently, it is far too easy to fuck over that group who annoyed you... 100 player ggroup so what... They have to sleep sometime.... What happened to actually fighting - its more like teddy bears in a nightclub..... Try and become a respected merc/pirate? why? I can just wipe you in 10 minutes loot yourr shit or drop it when your asleep... There is literally no reason to respect others in the game (So how you gonna build a powerful and fearful character?)....

I could literally go on, those three points aint nothing like EvE, but instead direct criticism of the games marketing....

You missed my entire point. Let me rephrase to see if that helps: Atlas is nowhere near comparable to Eve by a long shot, on this much we agree. But Atlas one month into a 2 year EA has basically no chance to compare favorably to a game that has had 15 plus years to grow into what it is. Will Atlas ever be comparable to Eve? No one can say yet, but we can say it will need at least 2 years before we can fairly assess whether it can make that claim.

What I am saying is that when you claim you were misled and deceived by comparisons to Eve in the marketing, you should not have expected any game just beginning a 2 year EA process to immediately and currently be directly comparable to a game that has been out of pre release state for 15 years. That is quite frankly not a realistic expectation and if you are going to fall on the crutch of “but they said it was like Eve” my answer would be “No the fact it’s an EA title means they’re telling you they are trying to build a game like Eve, not that it is already that way out of the gate”. This is where my comparison to Eve 2002 comes from, because that was when that game was at a similar stage in its development process. Your response indicates clearly you missed that point or misunderstood it.

Also stop asserting opinions as facts. Whether a game is wrongly marketed is subjective not objective. That is one of several examples of attempting to present your opinions as facts.

Edited by boomervoncannon

45 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

You missed my entire point. Let me rephrase to see if that helps: Atlas is nowhere near comparable to Eve by a long shot, on this much we agree. But Atlas one month into a 2 year EA has basically no chance to compare favorably to a game that has had 15 plus years to grow into what it is. Will Atlas ever be comparable to Eve? No one can say yet, but we can say it will need at least 2 years before we can fairly assess whether it can make that claim.

What I am saying is that when you claim you were misled and deceived by comparisons to Eve in the marketing, you should not have expected any game just beginning a 2 year EA process to immediately and currently be directly comparable to a game that has been out of pre release state for 15 years. That is quite frankly not a realistic expectation and if you are going to fall on the crutch of “but they said it was like Eve” my answer would be “No the fact it’s an EA title means they’re telling you they are trying to build a game like Eve, not that it is already that way out of the gate”. This is where my comparison to Eve 2002 comes from, because that was when that game was at a similar stage in its development process. Your response indicates clearly you missed that point or misunderstood it.

Also stop asserting opinions as facts. Whether a game is wrongly marketed is subjective not objective. That is one of several examples of attempting to present your opinions as facts.

Well to be fair he's just going off the current facts that are available.  GS haven't released any road maps or actual plans.  No trello.  The current "upcoming" section is pretty underwhelming and is just unasked for crap content.  Many of the existing systems are broken or just plain don't work as intended, but no "this is temporary while we work on something better".  No concrete final goals on paper beyond vague Starbound-ish hopes and dreams.

There are graveyards of MMOs that tried to use the excuse that WoW didn't start out in its current state.  This just doesn't cut it when you already have a solid example to work off of.  And that you are directly comparing yourself to.  Also you have to go by GS/WCs track record, which so far has been identical to the path they tread making Ark.  Honestly I think Atlas is worse actually, I had way less broken base mechanics in Ark once they fixed the initial performance issues. 

Edited by Kyorin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kyorin said:

Well to be fair he's just going off the current facts that are available.  GS haven't released any road maps or actual plans.  No trello.  The current "upcoming" section is pretty underwhelming and is just unasked for crap content.  Many of the existing systems are broken or just plain don't work as intended, but no "this is temporary while we work on something better".  No concrete final goals on paper beyond vague Starbound-ish hopes and dreams.

There are graveyards of MMOs that tried to use the excuse that WoW didn't start out in its current state.  This just doesn't cut it when you already have a solid example to work off of.  And that you are directly comparing yourself to.  Also you have to go by GS/WCs track record, which so far has been identical to the path they tread making Ark.  Honestly I think Atlas is worse actually, I had way less broken base mechanics in Ark once they fixed the initial performance issues. 

The key difference is that I am not defending those mechanics or saying GrapeCard has done a good job of communicating its plan. I am asserting one thing and one thing only: that if the Op is claiming he was misled by Atlas’s claims of comparison to Eve, it is not reasonable for him to compare Atlas at this juncture to Eve as a finished game, which is exactly what his lengthy diatribe does. Rather he should have understood that their comparisons are about the game they hope to build Atlas into.

Whether they are doing a good job of that so far is a separate issue.

Start watching their streams. You'll get far better idea of their roadmap with the two archived vids alone vs the information available here or promotional material.

4 hours ago, Nari said:

Start watching their streams. You'll get far better idea of their roadmap with the two archived vids alone vs the information available here or promotional material.

Unfortunately they all scream more ARK. Now we get "tek" submarine. Platform ability giant crabs etc. More temp tames in the form of cyclops etc.

We can´t rename ships because you where supposed to be able to take your ship back, but who is capturing a ship?

its not even close to EVE, EVE is just vastly superior in all aspects and have a competent dev team who care !

Edited by kam7r

7 hours ago, Nari said:

Those streams makes it abundently clear that even the devs have no long term roadmap, they have zero direction and apparently most changes are up to whatever they feel like at the next meeting...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

The key difference is that I am not defending those mechanics or saying GrapeCard has done a good job of communicating its plan. I am asserting one thing and one thing only: that if the Op is claiming he was misled by Atlas’s claims of comparison to Eve, it is not reasonable for him to compare Atlas at this juncture to Eve as a finished game, which is exactly what his lengthy diatribe does. Rather he should have understood that their comparisons are about the game they hope to build Atlas into.

Whether they are doing a good job of that so far is a separate issue.

I am not sure how to say it any more clearer really... IT WAS MARKETED AS AN EvE ONLINE RIVAL.... That is Fact, That is why so many EvE Players came here, that is not opinion, that is FACT.... You say it is subjective, and opinionated, by whom? Not me,because that is the way the game was marketed and sold to so many...

I don't expect it to directly be in comparison to EvE Online, especially at this stage... But if you took the time to read my post, it states they do not even have the basics in to even compare or even say it can rival EvE... Yet they did say that, yet it was marketed like that, Yet they did mis-lead so many others....

Is the game rubbish... Not exactly, It's a good game (ish),

Does it have anything other than potential to rival EvE.... No! why? - It hasn't even got the basics sorted.....
Economy, Markets, Levelling... (So 90's).... Skill trees, can top most of them out in a week... DEPTH (What depth)....

I understand fully the ggame is Alpha, but what they have done is copy-pasta'd code from Ark - Threw that in and changed the graphics?

What are they doing for an economy - I know setting a bounty system on other groups/players heads... You realise at this point, thats pointless right?
I can wear no armour and take 2 to 3 pistol shots? But can wear armour and take 1.... I mean the code is broken from the gground up, and is not even remotely comparable to EvE...

So as the Title states - Where the hell did the marketing for an EvE Competitor come from?

Hopes, Dreams and illsuions - But the reality is, this really is Ark from thebase up with different graphics, and shoul not have even been mentioning a competitor to a game as sophisticated or complicated as EvE - This game is clearly a game for those immature no-lifers, who are uneducated and like to throw racist comments and remarks around like no tomorrow, that like to kick and spit their dummies out because they added metal to stone walls....

People do realise in RL you have Metal in stone walls right? To reinforce it? To hold it together? But wait, they don't want to go and grind anymore to build better stuff, because in the first week of Alpha, people had the best stuff....

There is no in-game report function, There is no sophisticated chat, Alliance chat is bugged - I know lets have 10 different alliances and make what I want to say to one group, to all the groups... There is no direct message support (Could turn Parrots into direct mailers oncce tamed, you know like pigeon carriers) - Yes there is potential, But it should not have been marketed the way it was, and it really would be so easy to bring a lawsuit for false advertising/marketing - That is the truth....

As I said though, the game is good, but talking about facts and opinions, I would just like to know what facts there are, that even remotely gives anyone a solid idea to comparing this to EvE before launch, and what game mechanics are in to even remotely compare it to EvE... I will tell you, there is zero...

5 minutes ago, R4GN4R said:

I am not sure how to say it any more clearer really... IT WAS MARKETED AS AN EvE ONLINE RIVAL.... That is Fact, That is why so many EvE Players came here, that is not opinion, that is FACT.... You say it is subjective, and opinionated, by whom? Not me,because that is the way the game was marketed and sold to so many...

I don't expect it to directly be in comparison to EvE Online, especially at this stage... But if you took the time to read my post, it states they do not even have the basics in to even compare or even say it can rival EvE... Yet they did say that, yet it was marketed like that, Yet they did mis-lead so many others....

Does it have anything other than potential to rival EvE.... No! why? - It hasn't even got the basics sorted.....
Economy, Markets, Levelling... (So 90's).... Skill trees, can top most of them out in a week... DEPTH (What depth)....

I understand fully the ggame is Alpha, but what they have done is copy-pasta'd code from Ark - Threw that in and changed the graphics?

What are they doing for an economy - I know setting a bounty system on other groups/players heads... You realise at this point, thats pointless right?
I can wear no armour and take 2 to 3 pistol shots? But can wear armour and take 1.... I mean the code is broken from the gground up, and is not even remotely comparable to EvE...

So as the Title states - Where the hell did the marketing for an EvE Competitor come from?

Hopes, Dreams and illsuions - But the reality is, this really is Ark from thebase up with different graphics, and shoul not have even been mentioning a competitor to a game as sophisticated or complicated as EvE - This game is clearly a game for those immature no-lifers, who are uneducated and like to throw racist comments and remarks around like no tomorrow, that like to kick and spit their dummies out because they added metal to stone walls....

People do realise in RL you have Metal in stone walls right? To reinforce it? To hold it together? But wait, they don't want to go and grind anymore to build better stuff, because in the first week of Alpha, people had the best stuff....

There is no in-game report function, There is no sophisticated chat, Alliance chat is bugged - I know lets have 10 different alliances and make what I want to say to one group, to all the groups... There is no direct message support (Could turn Parrots into direct mailers oncce tamed, you know like pigeon carriers) - Yes there is potential, But it should not have been marketed the way it was, and it really would be so easy to bring a lawsuit for false advertising/marketing - That is the truth....

As I said though, the game is good, but talking about facts and opinions, I would just like to know what facts there are, that even remotely gives anyone a solid idea to comparing this to EvE before launch, and what game mechanics are in to even remotely compare it to EvE... I will tell you, there is zero...

I never played EvE but the statement you made about this playerbase is completely false. 

Edited by Percieval

10 minutes ago, R4GN4R said:

People do realise in RL you have Metal in stone walls right?

You're confusing stone for reinforced concrete. 

26 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I never played EvE but the statement you made about this playerbase is completely false. 

What that alot of players were EvE Players that came here because of the marketing... Just read the forums - Heres a tip, search for EvE... Get your facts right at least before trying to attack a post

19 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

You're confusing stone for reinforced concrete. 

Oh boy... Sounds like someone needs to go to school..... Wire nets to hold the stone in place?... Metal corners to hold the stone in place?....
Sure it doesn't ALWAYS need metall, you could use wood, or "Organic paste" - Mud etc....

I mean is anyone going to try and tear this apart with a bit of brain functionality... I don't mind but telling me to look at facts rather than opinions.... Pot calling the kettle black

4 minutes ago, R4GN4R said:

What that alot of players were EvE Players that came here because of the marketing... Just read the forums - Heres a tip, search for EvE... Get your facts right at least before trying to attack a post

No. This playerbase. Maybe read again before posting such a comment. 

1 minute ago, R4GN4R said:

Sure it doesn't ALWAYS need metall, you could use wood

Which was already in the recipe along with thatch. And no you don't need sugar to build with stone.

5 minutes ago, Percieval said:

No. This playerbase. Maybe read again before posting such a comment. 

This remark? - This game is clearly a game for those immature no-lifers, who are uneducated and like to throw racist comments and remarks around like no tomorrow

I mean, It's true, most people who are racist are uneducated, The offline raiders, they are mainly no lifers - The way the game is built and the way it is going because of immature people... It's true

But I guess that is opinionated rather than solid fact, but the evidence is there to see really...

3 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Which was already in the recipe along with thatch. And no you don't need sugar to build with stone.

No, you don't need sugar to build with stone, but you need some sort of sticky substance, and as the game hasn't got wet mud or sand in it, then Organic Paste is the second best thing...

I mean you wouldn't even use Organic Paste in Metal FFS....

Kinda sounds like you want a realistic experience, but are happy with the unrealism in other parts... I mean, make your mind up 

5 minutes ago, R4GN4R said:

Kinda sounds like you want a realistic experience, but are happy with the unrealism in other parts... I mean, make your mind up 

No. It was you who said that IRL you need metal for stone buildings and thus the change was justified.

1 hour ago, R4GN4R said:

And I don’t know how to state this any more clearly:

EA means they have 2 years before you have any legitimate grounds to complain about being misled by marketing. Game doesn’t have x,y or z in it that is basic and essential to making it comparable? When it leaves EA without those things then your beef becomes legitimate, before then continuing to table flip and willfully ignore the realities of Early Access games is just throwing a temper tantrum.

I read all of your post, I just didn’t accept your argument as valid. At this point I’m not interested in going around in circles with you about the issue because it’s become apparent you’re just willfully ignoring relevant information like many others in this forum.

Play the game, don’t play the game, either is fine, just don’t expect to be taken seriously when you pull the cake out of the oven 2 minutes after chef put it in, take a bite of slightly warm cake batter and then @#$& for paragraph after paragraph that you were misled because you were told it was just like your favorite pineapple upside down cake.

• Like 1

You need metal in modern concrete (depending on its use to add tensile strength) yes... Back in the day they just used stone and mortar and wood framework... if you want to get down to realism. I agree with most of your posts about Atlas feeling like Ark re skinned at the moment and not feeling a long term direction in terms of a road map. Just going to have to wait and see what happens and keep coming back and sharing your opinion and hope they read it.

24 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

And I don’t know how to state this any more clearly:

EA means they have 2 years before you have any legitimate grounds to complain about being misled by marketing. Game doesn’t have x,y or z in it that is basic and essential to making it comparable? When it leaves EA without those things then your beef becomes legitimate, before then continuing to table flip and willfully ignore the realities of Early Access games is just throwing a temper tantrum.

I read all of your post, I just didn’t accept your argument as valid. At this point I’m not interested in going around in circles with you about the issue because it’s become apparent you’re just willfully ignoring relevant information like many others in this forum.

Play the game, don’t play the game, either is fine, just don’t expect to be taken seriously when you pull the cake out of the oven 2 minutes after chef put it in, take a bite of slightly warm cake batter and then @#$& for paragraph after paragraph that you were misled because you were told it was just like your favorite pineapple upside down cake.

LOL
As the forum doesnt except imgbb links...

Off Steam Early Access Information regarding Atlas:

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“Everything in the features section will be there around Early Access Launch and the game will be an unparalleled massively multiplayer experience from Day One.”

So where is the exciting PVP? It's currently Offline raiding... Wow Exciting....

Why Early Access?

“ATLAS is one of the most ambitious online worlds of all time and while everything we have listed in the feature section will be there around Early Access launch, we are going to need the feedback, insight, and creativity of the game players to build on that foundation and balance the game optimally over a period of time.” 

What balances? One month in, and all I have seen is pointless nerfs that don't balance anything but caters to care bears to make things easier... It states it is one of the most ambitous MMO's of all time - Quite clearly.... Yet, lets face it, it is just ARK, with a reskin, nothing can compare it to real MMO's like WOW, EVE, Runescape... This is minecraft with graphics currently...

I mean thats Steams version with Atlas replies... Now lets break the description down...

MMO On the Grandest Scale

Physically sail in real-time across the vast oceans with the proprietary server network technology. Explorers will voyage to over 700 unique landmasses across 45,000 square kilometers, with thousands of Discovery Zones, and ten distinct world regions each having their own unique resources, creatures, secrets, and environment hazards! There is a separate PvE ATLAS for players who don't wish to play any PVP.  

MMO with a seperate PvE server... HMMM, Lets just take a minute to think about that....

On the grandest scale - Look up definition of Grandest... It's definately not the grandest in terms of style... Nor Size.... Or gameplay....

Construct the Ship of Your Dreams, Plank by Plank!  

Pre-built planks, pre-built carcasses, so how am I constructing it out of MY dreams? - I at least expected to literally build a plank etc not half a boat and place it on ...

Pirate PVP to the Limit 

They got this bit right at least... Its very limited... Offline raiding because "Thats what the community want" - Yer cus 20k others have already left and left negative reviews, because it is now how it was advertised... Going back to point 2 about everything featured being there around early access ....

Be the Hero or Villain you were meant to be 

Not at all possible while there is offline raiding, I mean whose gonna fear the boggest baddest person/company out there, when you can sail a sloop full of explosive barrels straight into there dock and blow half their fleet by yourself?, while they are asleep... False Marketing

Extensive character visual customization enables an endless range of realistic (and not-so-realistic) characters, with a vast array of sliders, morphs, muscle tones, and tweakable values. You can even per-pixel design your own permanent tattoos (and then draw warpaint on top of that too!). If someone exists in the real world, they should be creatable in ATLAS! Best-in-class dynamic hair growth and real-time aging systems allow you to get old and... pass on your legacy? (Or find a fountain of youth!).

Real-time agging system? 100 years in one month... That is super real time there, Thats a feature... Going back to point 2.... And the character creation system is still from the 90's, I've seen better systems on older games...

Endless Adventure 

Forced gameplay... Point 6....

Intense Action 

Point 5 + 6

I could go on, and I realise this is a Beta, and I will continue playing for the time being - This post is more about the relevance to the marketing over comparing and quoting EvE Online as a competitor/ Rival - Which it clearly is not... And probably never will be, because the foundations are not here on Alpha release to build upon with the community, at the very least... The foundations should have been there... For them to even make this claim.

Now saying that I appreciate the work the devs put in to this game, And I am not here to criticise them for their work, only their advertising and marketing department, who got it very very wrong....

Would I recommend the game - Yes, to people who like 24/7 grinding, losing it overnight and don't like PvP...

Does the ggame have potential - Yes... But they need to get the foundations right...

20k negative reviews on steam within a month... That in itself says alot, The community forums are mostly filled with screaming people... The only thing I agree with what you have said so far, Is if you dont like it dont play it... I like the game, it is as i said originally, just not what I was informed it would be.... From their own marketing or advertising...

And in regards to taking the cake out the oven after 2 minutes... At least the Chef would have got the ingredients right!...

Good day sir... 

• Like 1