Sign in to follow this  
Thor Ragnarock

Changeable sail rigging

So my idea is fairly simple... Make a "Small Mast" "Medium Mast" "Large Mast" which can be placed on the ship as they currently are. Then take the sail portion and call it "Small X rigging" Medium X rigging" and "Large X Rigging". Allow us to then apply the rigging to a sail. If the wind is with us on a trip we can run with speed sails south and get to our destination. The wind has yet to change so we removed the speed rigging from the masts and switch it out for maneuvering so we can sail into the wind better. Obviously the rigging has weight so we lose some free weight on the ship for carrying cargo but it allows us to modify our ships on the go. You could essentially add a timer of some sort for the removal of the rigging by a minute or something and then have a timer for applying the new rigging. This leaves you slightly vulnerable for a moment but keeps your from removing and throwing on sails in the middle of combat or something like that.

I realize this might be some effort in the way you apply paint and images to a sail. Not sure if you can have that applied to the actual object of the sail or how that works on the back end but I assume it couldn't be too much effort to have that info save to the actual rigging itself and if you remove/replace it this will change the coloration/image base on whatever the rigging was set to.

This also plays into the idea of being able to change your colors/sails. You are out looking like a lonely merchant by day but when night comes you swap out your rigging and fly the black sails.

• Like 1

I would like to see the sail and mast constructions decoupled. That said, changing rigging is not a simple affair, and should be a bit more involved than simply swapping on the fly.

At a minimum, it should require being anchored.

The Mast would have two inventory slots. One for the yardarms specific to a rigging type, and a second for the actual sail. The mast and yardarms/rigging would be crafted at the smithy, and the sail itself would be crafted in the loom. Since paintings are item specific, this would allow having an inventory of painted sails that could be replaced, rather than painted after the current mast, rigging, and sails combo is permanently installed.