Sign in to follow this  
Dexter

Best 4 Thatch: Giraffe vs Bear

Bear = You farm with thatch with pond-like plants. Can get about 3k thatch in 3 minutes using a mid lvl bear

Giraffe = IDK 

Supposedly giraffes are best for thatch but I've yet to meet anyone that's farmed with both that can say which one is the clear winner. We havent tamed a giraffe yet because I haven't seen the point and frankly at first it'd be a big production getting a trap ready, sailing, etc. With the bear we have a safe, tax free zone.. we have galleons that can store over 150k per go, takes 10 min of sailing. 

Can anyone that actually has real experience tell me which one is better? If a giraffe really is better, then I'd want to get that. For example when we farm for wood we use bamboo, see a huge spike in wood we gather. I'm wondering if with a giraffe it might be the same, a specific type of tree/plant and it just gets tons faster than a bear even. .again a bear averages about 1k per minute with a lvl 34.. so a high lvl with pure damage would get even more. 

For anyone that can clear this up for me that isn't guessing, thanks in advance! 

All animals suck. Rhinos suck, bears, suck but less so because of land plants, ele suck. Didn't try giraffe but I hear it's about bull level, and bull sucks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i do it with the pick also have a lvl66 giraffes with 140% damage but its bad arround 8-14 thatch a hit and it takes to long 

The pick is the best tame for thatch. Bear sucks, Rhino sucks, Giraffe, Bull, Pig, you name it they all suck, Ostrich is oddly best out of them all but still sucks...

Edited by Nari

22 hours ago, Nari said:

The pick is the best tame for thatch. Bear sucks, Rhino sucks, Giraffe, Bull, Pig, you name it they all suck, Ostrich is oddly best out of them all but still sucks...

Wrong, wrong wrong.

Bear is 100% the best thatch farmer in the game, but you have to have ground-thatch piles, like the orange leaves. Can get several stacks in a single swipe.

2 minutes ago, pope_kd said:

Bear is 100% the best thatch farmer in the game, Under these specific and very limited conditions*

Noted

1 minute ago, Nari said:

Noted

Not really that limited to say "you have to be using the right kind of node to make it worthwhile." A bit like complaining that an elephant isn't a good wood farmer because all you're hitting is the Bamboo plants.

3 minutes ago, pope_kd said:

Not really that limited to say "you have to be using the right kind of node to make it worthwhile." A bit like complaining that an elephant isn't a good wood farmer because all you're hitting is the Bamboo plants.

If this was ARK sure I'd agree. But there are multiple base resources and the bear is the most efficient at gathering one type of thatch. Either add varied nodes or utility to other thatch gatherers.

Edited by Nari

1 minute ago, Nari said:

If this was ARK sure I'd agree. But there are multiple base resources and the bear is the most efficient at gathering one type of thatch. Either add varied nodes or utility to other thatch gatherers.

Or do what the rest of us do and trade the excessive amount you get from that one node type in at Freeports if you need variety for a recipe.

3 minutes ago, pope_kd said:

Or do what the rest of us do and trade the excessive amount you get from that one node type in at Freeports if you need variety for a recipe.

I'm not referring to BP's rather Biome balance. Thatch is a very common ingredient and is currently the only resource with this kind of restriction. Does the Rhino get more Iron than Copper?

Edited by Nari

2 minutes ago, Nari said:

I'm not referring to BP's rather Biome balance. That is a very common ingredient and is currently the only resource with this kind of restriction. Does the Rhino get more Iron than Copper?

Clearly never farmed a Straw/Hemp field with a bear vs. farming cotton in the tundra.

5 minutes ago, pope_kd said:

Clearly never farmed a Straw/Hemp field with a bear vs. farming cotton in the tundra.

I have, I've sailed for this specific reason. Less to do with nodes harvested and more to with with nodes present. BP's alone should provide the incentive to trade/buy alternative resource types. Not the pointless restrictions applied to the biome you happened to settle down in.

Edited by Nari

2 minutes ago, Nari said:

I have, I've sailed for this specific reason. Less to do with nodes harvested and more to with with nodes present. BP's alone should provide the incentive to trade/buy alternative resource types. Not the pointless restrictions applied to the biome you happened to settle down in.

The restrictions between node types aren't "pointless," they're part of what encourages travel and makes having a 225 grid map even make sense in the first place. Some places are better than others. Some islands are more valuable than others, and that makes them worth using resources to fight for. Etc., etc. 

Edited by pope_kd

1 minute ago, pope_kd said:

The restrictions between node types aren't "pointless," they're part of what encourages travel and makes having a 225 grid map even make sense in the first place. Some places are better than others. Some islands are more valuable than others, and that makes them worth using resources to fight for. Etc., etc. 

Less fiber in the tundra VS temperate is a viable restriction. The bear thatch example is not.

3 minutes ago, Nari said:

Less fiber in the tundra VS temperate is a viable restriction. The bear thatch example is not.

"Some islands are just better so SUCK IT and fight for them"
"What about PvE servers?"
"FUCK PVE SERVERS! Also don't mention most people play PvE!"

On a side note, they stealth nerfed ostridge thatch farming 😕 Tries hitting a few for some wood for food 'cause I was lazy, thatch is like 5-10 now with bird.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gadefence said:

On a side note, they stealth nerfed ostridge thatch farming 😕 Tries hitting a few for some wood for food 'cause I was lazy, thatch is like 5-10 now with bird.

You have to invest resources to move/take land in PVE, too. Making a boat that can make the trip, moving your items/tames/etc., time it takes to scout stealable/good land, this isn't a PVE vs PVP thing, it's a "some islands are better than others because it's the nature of the game" thing. 

7 minutes ago, gadefence said:

I want to react to this twice but I cant 😞