enrell

servergrid Replacing an island with another on a live server

Has anyone tried before to replace an island with another ? What did i was :

1) edit the json of the grid

2) identify the island id that i want to replace. Each island has a unique id which link the island to its levels

3) using the map editor, remove the island and replace it with the one you wanted. export. then from the json, copy all the information in the id.

4) paste it to the grid json

5) restart server after ensuring 3 portions are copied over ( island, coast and sublevels )

And the server did not start. What i assume went wrong is that the json is different to other grids. I have yet to copied to the others. What i am wondering if pasting it to the home region json is enough, to the surrounding grid or all of the grids.

What do you guys think ? Anyone done it before want to guide me along ?

Thank you

Replacing existing islands is a bad choice without wipe.

The reason is:

• If someone placed flags / buildings or whatever - it would float or collide with new textures
  • Your redis rdb database added data refering to that island
  • If you do that to your home server, you will re-spawn in the middle of nowhere - (in water...)

I tried to workaround this with clearing out saved folder for the whole zone, it doesn't work!

To make it work, you would also need to know what to edit in your redis database.

You can add islands, but that's it. Even when adding, make a backup for ALL files before doing.

ServerGridEditor doesn't allow to undo changes - the feature is completely missing!

You have to delete the island in the redis database aswell i presume, as far as i know you cant reliably replace an island without starting a new save as alot of things can go wrong with spawning of resources floating objects etc.

We have added Islands to a live grid without issues. If your server is crashing on start, it could be a simple json error. Try loading you json file as a project in the server grid editor, if it has parse errors it will tell where they are. A simple missing quote or comma will most likely crash the server without a meaningful message. (I know this from experience :classic_blush:)

11 hours ago, Firedragon said:

The reason is:

• If someone placed flags / buildings or whatever - it would float or collide with new textures
  • If you do that to your home server, you will re-spawn in the middle of nowhere - (in water...)

I tried to workaround this with clearing out saved folder for the whole zone, it doesn't work!

To make it work, you would also need to know what to edit in your redis database.

You can add islands, but that's it. Even when adding, make a backup for ALL files before doing.

ServerGridEditor doesn't allow to undo changes - the feature is completely missing!

Thank you for the advice. Dint think abt the regis

11 hours ago, Ossiwozzy said:

You have to delete the island in the redis database aswell i presume, as far as i know you cant reliably replace an island without starting a new save as alot of things can go wrong with spawning of resources floating objects etc.

No one is staying in that island. Will take note of the regis database.

10 hours ago, Pointy said:

We have added Islands to a live grid without issues. If your server is crashing on start, it could be a simple json error. Try loading you json file as a project in the server grid editor, if it has parse errors it will tell where they are. A simple missing quote or comma will most likely crash the server without a meaningful message. (I know this from experience :classic_blush:)

Noted sir. Someone in discord did point out the online json viewer app that can pointed out errors. Btw how do you add islands to live grid. Same steps like i did ?

I did it many times without issue, also added more grids to existing grids and no problems.

Edited by upperking

3 hours ago, upperking said:

I did it many times without issue, also added more grids to existing grids and no problems.

Can share how u did it ?

Noted sir. Someone in discord did point out the online json viewer app that can pointed out errors. Btw how do you add islands to live grid. Same steps like i did ?

All we did was update the ServerGrid.json and map images, didn't do anything with the database or save files. Because we were adding islands, we just made sure our ships were well away from the new island area.

Why are you pasting into the json and not simply exporting it after edit?

39 minutes ago, Pointy said:

All we did was update the ServerGrid.json and map images, didn't do anything with the database or save files. Because we were adding islands, we just made sure our ships were well away from the new island area.

Why are you pasting into the json and not simply exporting it after edit?

The server is run by a datacenter and it was setup by them, with all the critical net thingy.

So if i want anything changed, i was told to edit it.

3 hours ago, enrell said:

The server is run by a datacenter and it was setup by them, with all the critical net thingy.

So if i want anything changed, i was told to edit it.

Can you not just upload the new ServerGrid.json?

Is the server crashing? Do you get and error message?

2 hours ago, Pointy said:

Can you not just upload the new ServerGrid.json?

Is the server crashing? Do you get and error message?

Not crashing. Dint even start.

Im going to try your method though. Will download the server json. Open using the editor. Do watever needed. Then export back to the server

On 1/27/2019 at 4:15 AM, Firedragon said:

The reason is:

Almost guarantee it's this particular one. We've had some pretty major headaches involving those files, because we don't have access to them on our rented server afaik. Things like 'I wiped the save data folder out and replaced the entire map, and when I logged in I still had a character and my base was floating midair in the middle of the sea'.

All sorts of stuff is stored in there, to the point that I don't actually understand why the .ocean files are so large.

Edited by Dread Pirate Ash

1 hour ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

Almost guarantee it's this particular one. We've had some pretty major headaches involving those files, because we don't have access to them on our rented server afaik. Things like 'I wiped the save data folder out and replaced the entire map, and when I logged in I still had a character and my base was floating midair in the middle of the sea'.

All sorts of stuff is stored in there, to the point that I don't actually understand why the .ocean files are so large.

What did you do that require editing the regis ?

To edit regis is out of question in such manner:

1.png

If not having to do a full wipe, there might be a slight chance that it could work wiping a single grid.

• Like 1

From my limited look at the database, I don't think it holds any Island data. It seems to contain mainly player/tribe and entity (ship/beds) data. On a test server we have successfully swapped out islands without even shutting down Redis. We simply replace the ServerGrid.json file and delete the local save data. (Note this is only a test server for finding specific, islands/resources and has no player structures on it) It may be that any structures will either get destroyed and end up floating if you don't delete the saves.

Always backup your Redis database, json files and saved data before messing with anything grid related and move your ships/tames well away from the area you are editing just to be safe!

• Like 1

There is a lot unknown data in redis database, in one of my tests even with empty saved grid
folder where buildings and so on resides it simply didn't work and the grid itself lets me spawn
in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe it's just the playerdata itself that is the burden. Ex. playerbackup, id's such as home zone
and ownerships for crafted things...

• Like 1

The island has nothing to do with the redis database. The things on the island is saved locally to the savedark folder. You can remove the island in the editor and place a different one there without an issue. You can also just update 1 grid with the new json and the rest of the grid will work fine. The only problem you need to fix is if there is any structures on the old island, it will be out of place / floating / underground on the new island. 

• Like 1

When i tried it with a non home server grid it was like sakura said, but for home server it didn't match.

Even after removing the whole saved folder for the home zone, spawning got broken.

Has anyone just added an island to a live grid, not moved any but you cannot harvest any resources on the new island?

7 hours ago, Sakura said:

The island has nothing to do with the redis database. The things on the island is saved locally to the savedark folder. You can remove the island in the editor and place a different one there without an issue. You can also just update 1 grid with the new json and the rest of the grid will work fine. The only problem you need to fix is if there is any structures on the old island, it will be out of place / floating / underground on the new island. 

Will try it this weekend.

4 hours ago, Caps said:

Has anyone just added an island to a live grid, not moved any but you cannot harvest any resources on the new island?

I been adding and removing island on a live grid without any issue. Are your island overlapping by any chance?

On 1/30/2019 at 9:53 AM, Sakura said:

I been adding and removing island on a live grid without any issue. Are your island overlapping by any chance?

I tried editing the json using the editor.

Export the file than import to the grid folder

Restart folder.

Doest not work.

Any idea what went wrong ?

Edited by enrell

I've done this a number of times on my 4x3 and previous 2x2 without issue. All i did was make the edit in the editor, export and then copy the ServerGrid.json and the folder with the map images. (Not the ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json). - I fully delete the current ServerGrid.json & Map Images folder before copying in the new ones.

The most recent edit i did was removing an island from a Tundra biome grid and replacing it with another (needed an island with turnips on the cluster 😛)

7 hours ago, Shadowsong said:

I've done this a number of times on my 4x3 and previous 2x2 without issue. All i did was make the edit in the editor, export and then copy the ServerGrid.json and the folder with the map images. (Not the ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json). - I fully delete the current ServerGrid.json & Map Images folder before copying in the new ones.

The most recent edit i did was removing an island from a Tundra biome grid and replacing it with another (needed an island with turnips on the cluster 😛)

That is what i did too but i did not delete the json, i just renamed it. I just paste over the new map image tho.