Daemon Cross

It may be wrong but we are pirates

I got fed up with the vultures and heat issues I was having on H5 and decided to sail away hopeful to find a new piece of land, upon entering a area I found promising and the fact I had to sign off to take my daughter to the movies, I made landfall and took off with my flag held high for hopes of blue showing as I ran along, 10 steps away, then 20 and low and behold I struck the gold and planted my flag, claimed came a few mins later and I jumped back on my ship and signed off, once I returned from the movies I wanted to see what I had gained, figured it was just a small spot with overlapping lines but I was impressed to say the least but my line did cut through the middle of a existing structure, so I was  down hearted once again but I figured that perhaps I would be able to obtain that other half as well, so off I went with my flag held high once more and believe it or not there is was, that shimmering blue light that makes us grin, slammed down in the ground and to my surprise it wasn’t contested. The timer counts down and I wait, knowing someone would pop out of a ship or building and ruin my day. As the time runs down the more excited I become, thinking to myself “Oh wow what a find, wondering what had happened that someone put so much work into it and just leave it”, well I was set, the timer ended and the message appeared CLAIMED !! I was grinning from ear to ear, away from the misery and frustration of H5 to something new and probably just as problematic but I am hopeful. I didn’t want to be greedy so I stowed everything away jumped in the bed and transported myself back to H5, unclaimed several of my flags, keeping only one for a “WTF do you mean I have to give it back scenario” loaded my goods up that I felt was worth keeping without placing to much weight on my brig and set sail, taking a different route than before and grinding my teeth just praying that I would make it there, I managed to pull it off with only a few hits from the ghost ships but luckily not enough to sink me.  Got there, got moored, ran up to my new establishment and locked the doors, said the pirates prayer and signed off, was just so excited that something was finally going my way I just had to share.

Now I’m not proud of taking what someone else has put so much effort into but in my defense I have no idea if they got banned for cheating, switched to a different server or just simply quit playing, the structures there seems to be decomposing and no one was sleeping so I felt it was fair game. I try to consider the work people have done in the game but as a player I have no idea what is really going on.

hope the message inspires others to look around before giving up

• Like 3

This is exactly what i have been telling peopel theres alot of of land waiting out there some even with bases on it.

• Like 1

Been making the place my own, met a few of the neighbors and some general traders who were passing by and in all honesty it feels good to be there.

Some people just don't have the time to sail for hours at sea to look around every island. There is no way I'm going to go through each grid running around to every red flag area on the map just to see if it's contested, waste of time.

There very well maybe land out there to take but nobody in their right mind is going to spend weeks of their life trying to find 1 small piece to place a flag, ridiculous. The system is broken and you should not be able to spam your flag all over the place. If it cost you gold to put down each flag like first flag is free, second is say 1000G the next is 10,000G then I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I'm currently on lawless and it's just as fun and play on there than it is on flag territory, I would say it's even better as you get less hassle and build what you want. No thanks I will wait until they decide to fix the system before I go looking for land but to others who do go out looking for week on end then I say good luck to you all and wish you the very best.  

That must have been a very good day.  Congrats.  🙂

I've given up looking.  Mostly because it's so frustrating, finding what really does look like abandoned land and then not being able to get it because of some overlapping claim, or finding a spot that might become open, but seeing it's surrounded by ?? ?? companies and a bunch of very nastily named companies.  Wouldn't want to live there anyway.

Mostly, it's the fact that the devs have said there needs to be a fundamental rework of the claiming system.   I don't see how they can do that without wiping claims, so I think I'll wait.  I don't want to be one of the raging masses when that happens.

Currently based in lawless, but after some pondering, we have a mobile base.  Our two / three man company live on a Brig.  It has everything we need.  We keep enough supplies to make repairs, and have spare sails and planks...  spare wheel, a kitchen, workshop, living quarters..   It's been quite a blast.  We sail from island to island, seeking treasures, new foodstuffs... it's the life!   Sure there's the old addage..  eggs > basket, but, if you have fun and enjoy that mobile life it's the nuts.  Not sure being 'stuck' on an island with all the politics suits our game style 🙂    Atlas for all its faults, allows this kind of fun, and fun it is!

We have also done some trading with islanders.   We have built up quite a stock, and seeds seem to be quite popular atm!  And much to our surprise, EU PvE server is full of really friendly folks.  Sometimes, they just put up with us mooring up off shore whilst we get on with things, other times they engage with conversations and we end up trading..  Gold is in short supply so always good to exchange!   We then leave, and on to the next.

Sooner or later we'll be killed off by a bug, or whale or something...  But if anything was to change, i'd say reduce the number of Ships of the Damned...  Crikey.  

(sorry, waffled!)

Find you someplace to build a small base, store enough stuff to build another ship, if yours goes down, starting over is a nightmare, that’s the main reason for myself having a base, I keep most mats, gold tradable items there and only enough stuff to make repairs and weapons on my ships, I did set up a trade box outside my home that stays unlocked for others to trade items with, since we can’t board one another’s ships anymore. The SOTD are a bit much, all spawning in around the same spot, speed sails and handling sails have saved me quite a few times but I’ve still been hit and taken some damage, keep your ship repaired daily is the best advice I can give you.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:02 AM, Daemon Cross said:

I got fed up with the vultures and heat issues I was having on H5 and decided to sail away hopeful to find a new piece of land, upon entering a area I found promising and the fact I had to sign off to take my daughter to the movies, I made landfall and took off with my flag held high for hopes of blue showing as I ran along, 10 steps away, then 20 and low and behold I struck the gold and planted my flag, claimed came a few mins later and I jumped back on my ship and signed off, once I returned from the movies I wanted to see what I had gained, figured it was just a small spot with overlapping lines but I was impressed to say the least but my line did cut through the middle of a existing structure, so I was  down hearted once again but I figured that perhaps I would be able to obtain that other half as well, so off I went with my flag held high once more and believe it or not there is was, that shimmering blue light that makes us grin, slammed down in the ground and to my surprise it wasn’t contested. The timer counts down and I wait, knowing someone would pop out of a ship or building and ruin my day. As the time runs down the more excited I become, thinking to myself “Oh wow what a find, wondering what had happened that someone put so much work into it and just leave it”, well I was set, the timer ended and the message appeared CLAIMED !! I was grinning from ear to ear, away from the misery and frustration of H5 to something new and probably just as problematic but I am hopeful. I didn’t want to be greedy so I stowed everything away jumped in the bed and transported myself back to H5, unclaimed several of my flags, keeping only one for a “WTF do you mean I have to give it back scenario” loaded my goods up that I felt was worth keeping without placing to much weight on my brig and set sail, taking a different route than before and grinding my teeth just praying that I would make it there, I managed to pull it off with only a few hits from the ghost ships but luckily not enough to sink me.  Got there, got moored, ran up to my new establishment and locked the doors, said the pirates prayer and signed off, was just so excited that something was finally going my way I just had to share.

Now I’m not proud of taking what someone else has put so much effort into but in my defense I have no idea if they got banned for cheating, switched to a different server or just simply quit playing, the structures there seems to be decomposing and no one was sleeping so I felt it was fair game. I try to consider the work people have done in the game but as a player I have no idea what is really going on.

hope the message inspires others to look around before giving up

You did a good thing and cleared land which was inactive. Piracy I call when you steal land from the active player. But there is a worse thing than piracy. When you actually steal land from the active player and he is your neighbour.

Edited by Robotukas

I was located in H5, traveled around until I had to leave and stopped at the closest Island, I was just lucky to find the area, whoever’s land it was has been gone for awhile, all his stuff had taken damage from where it had been sitting for so long. I’m guessing they either got busted cheating, switched to a unofficial server, went to pvp or quit the game entirely. As you know people can log out on their base and the land stays contested for eternity, that wasn’t the case here. He even had a sloop parked in the area but wasn’t sleeping on it either, so I feel good about the find. I also appreciate the fact he left the area before quitting the game so his stuff wouldn’t be tied up.

Not surprised... I believe there is a lot of land that is available, or will be soon,  due to folks losing interest in the game or moving to private servers... our company inherited a nice spot due to a company's focus moving to a private server.

According to Steam, I’ve logged 198 hours in Atlas and started playing Jan. 2nd, I’ve been on one successful treasure hunt and one failed, had multiple tames, all which are dead or have been carried off through the sky by a glitch, multiple ships, which most have been sunk by storms, crashes or ghost ships, I have two ( Schooner and Brigantine)left and my son leaves his sloop with me for when I need help, I’ve built multiple bases with taming pens and all honesty I’m 63 years old in game and I haven’t even scratched the surface what stuff to do. I love the exploring aspect and open world the game has to offer, I want to treasure hunt and chase the depths of the oceans to find sunken ships and see what loot comes up, I want to see how people have created the base they call home and hopefully make some new friends along the way. For someone to say there isn’t anything to do must not work or have a family as I do because it seems 3 to 4 hours after work in the evenings and what is possible on the weekends is no where near enough time for me

• Like 2

I must say after all of the negative posts regarding land, i did not have much hope when we took off yesterday on the NA Pve server. We decided to just do it for the fun. Imagine my surprise after reaching a decent island (by my standards which are low) and was able to remove another clans claim on the beach. To the OP , this post inspired us to take off in the first place and give it a go. Took a late nite playing but we had a good time. There is land available but you cant sit in the same ports and complain all day and expect to find it. Enjoy the voyages along the way. Stop and smell the salt water along the way and you will be rewarded. Good luck

• Like 1

I’m glad you were able to find a area, I unclaimed my last piece of property I had on H5 tonight bidding a bad time goodbye, I hope others take the chance as we have and try to find their own land. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

I’m glad you were able to find a area, I unclaimed my last piece of property I had on H5 tonight bidding a bad time goodbye, I hope others take the chance as we have and try to find their own land. 

By the time i got back from work today, after i had claimed the first block of land, we had 3 others in the same area.

• Like 1