Sign in to follow this  
LaiTash

Can we have ships like this...

1) Made of stone

2) 5-6 layers of planks, made of see #1

3) Cannon and mortar towers looking in all directions, made of stone too

4) Able to sail on land and climb on mountains so that we could hide them from other ships and keep them out of their cannons range

The devs said on livestream that you don't need land in this game and you can use your ship as a mobile base; obviously ORP for ships will never be a thing so when exactly will we be able to build ships like that? We have stone steering wheels already, which is a step in the right direction but obviously not enough for a mobile base.

Edited by LaiTash
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

Well at this point, you’re better off having a wooden ship than a stone one. 😉 

Well stone doesn't burn, so...

Can you have a stone ship in real life? Have you ever seen one? I sure haven't... Think before you ask questions. Buoyancy "Physics" says NO!!!!! >.<

4 minutes ago, Stationmonkey said:

Can you have a stone ship in real life? Have you ever seen one? I sure haven't... Think before you ask questions. Buoyancy "Physics" says NO!!!!! >.<

Physics says no to all cannons on just one side too, but...

i'm just trying to say that our ships are too fragile and are offlined way too easily to really use them as true mobile bases as in "no land needed" like the devs said we can. I don't really want stone ships as the meta is ugly enough as it is.

Edited by LaiTash

7 minutes ago, Charles U Farley said:

These are boats build of concrete: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship

.... Concrete is porous, and far far less dense than stone... So ya that's a thing. But not going to be fast. Not going to be strong. And not going to function in a Pirate world.

11 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

Maybe you should go tell that to these civil engineers that make boats out of concrete, which is stones and paste....

https://www.asce.org/event/2019/concrete-canoe/

Haha ok you run around in your concrete dinghy while everyone else is rocking their big ol' wood ships. Sounds like a plan!! =-)~

Here is another shocker for you, there are also boats made of steel.  Which ..... is not porous and far more dense than stone.  Yeah lets see how your wood ship will do against my aircraft carrier.    

Since you insist on playing this game then maybe go read a wiki on buoyancy - it is the average of the materials that causes things to float.   A boat hull is full of AIR so it matters very little if the hull itself is even made of lead.   Of course heavy things sink because they are heavier than water.   But the air is lighter than water which is why you do not need a material that floats to make a damn boat.

Now make an argument that it does not belong in a pirate game.    A fantasy pirate game.   With a steamship submarine powered by magic.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, krazmuze said:

Here is another shocker for you, there are also boats made of steel.  Which ..... is not porous and far more dense than stone.  Yeah lets see how your wood ship will do against my aircraft carrier.    

Since you insist on playing this game then maybe go read a wiki on buoyancy - it is the average of the materials that causes things to float.   A boat hull is full of AIR so it matters very little if the hull itself is even made of lead.   Of course heavy things sink because they are heavier than water.   But the air is lighter than water which is why you do not need a material that floats to make a damn boat.

Now make an argument that it does not belong in a pirate game.    A fantasy pirate game.   With a steamship submarine powered by magic.

Ok. An argument for why steel ships float. Well quite simply displacement. For a steel ship to be rigid enough you need around 5 or 6 mm of sheet steel. For the same relative stability you would need several inches or probably feet of concrete. We could go into fluid dynamics and what displacement is. But I am fairly sure that would make for some very boring reading for anyone who happens along the topic. 

To reference the lead thing.. Well Mythbusters proved a lead balloon can float with enough helium so.. Whatever a minuscule content is in the hull is irrelevant to total mass. But yes Boats are made of steel. Yes its not porous and far more dense than concrete or stone. But also relative weight to sheet size ratio needs to be considered.... I know I know this is a game and its all just 1's and 0's so technically it could totally work. But come on there does need to be some realism and stone ships are woefully unrealistic. Concrete ships would be as useful as thatch ships so make little sense as well. (I do however think metal panels strapped on like Civil War ships  *CSS Virginia & USS Monitor* would be a great option.) But metal ships and stone ships in a pirate game is ridiculous. imho

5 hours ago, LaiTash said:

1) Made of stone

2) 5-6 layers of planks, made of see #1

3) Cannon and mortar towers looking in all directions, made of stone too

4) Able to sail on land and climb on mountains so that we could hide them from other ships and keep them out of their cannons range

The devs said on livestream that you don't need land in this game and you can use your ship as a mobile base; obviously ORP for ships will never be a thing so when exactly will we be able to build ships like that? We have stone steering wheels already, which is a step in the right direction but obviously not enough for a mobile base.

You couldn't afford the paste and metal it would cost.

43 minutes ago, Stationmonkey said:

Ok. An argument for why steel ships float. Well quite simply displacement. For a steel ship to be rigid enough you need around 5 or 6 mm of sheet steel. For the same relative stability you would need several inches or probably feet of concrete. We could go into fluid dynamics and what displacement is. But I am fairly sure that would make for some very boring reading for anyone who happens along the topic. 

To reference the lead thing.. Well Mythbusters proved a lead balloon can float with enough helium so.. Whatever a minuscule content is in the hull is irrelevant to total mass. But yes Boats are made of steel. Yes its not porous and far more dense than concrete or stone. But also relative weight to sheet size ratio needs to be considered.... I know I know this is a game and its all just 1's and 0's so technically it could totally work. But come on there does need to be some realism and stone ships are woefully unrealistic. Concrete ships would be as useful as thatch ships so make little sense as well. (I do however think metal panels strapped on like Civil War ships  *CSS Virginia & USS Monitor* would be a great option.) But metal ships and stone ships in a pirate game is ridiculous. imho

lol. I love that you provided a detailed technical argument to support your position but then said essentially “but what really matters is that I think it’s silly.”  I tend to gree that even in a game with fantasy elements,stone ships just feels wrong,but you know what they say about opinions. I think the Op’s core point is that ships are not currently viable as floating bases and given that this is a stated design goal, needs work.

5 hours ago, Stationmonkey said:

Can you have a stone ship in real life? 

Not seen so many dragons recently either 😛 

Well you could make a boat out of pumice, which is a stone, and DOES float.

And it has been known to occur naturally. And the largest recorded "pumice raft" was several hundred KM across and thick enough to walk over it.  

So in short you could build a boat out of stone.  

Keep in mind while you cling to your precious pirate genre - these are the same devs that

So we know it is physically possible, and we know the devs could care less about historical piracy.  And of course they already plan bigger damned ships so if they give you stone/metal armor and hulls, of course they will just make even bigger damned ships to take you out.  That is the meta of the game, keep feeding the megacorps new tek so that new players can never catch up.

Edited by krazmuze

Pretty sure the issue is, Op wants his ships not to be sunk daily. :P  Krazmuuze has a point about that, reality.. I mean it is a Fantasy based Pirate game. They could pop up with a end tier ship that is built with fantastical materials and powered by the Golden Age, Power stones, for all that "reality" is worth. :P NOT that I would approve, I stopped playing when tek came out, but for unofficial severs where we never used it. lol.

8 hours ago, Stationmonkey said:

Uh, many ships have been built from concrete IRL... It's not weight that keeps a ship afloat. its displacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=740YHwMv4Kc 

Yes, they have already gone over that about the concrete and pumas as well. 😛  I don't mind some contraptions, my favorites have been the 1. Grapple 2. Glider 3.climbing picks and zip lines.

Every since they entered their games. Grapple is a must have, for me.  But, I think most of us agree, Ships go down too easy and in too many unintended ways. heh heh. Not saying, make stone ships, though.

Edited by Liatni

Liatni I suggest not loggin in next month.  They already did that the submarine in next major release is steampunk powered by magic.  Presumably that is what the golden zones are there for, harvest zones to fuel the tek tier.

Edited by krazmuze

3 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Actually, most modern sailboats made with concrete are called ferrocement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocement

But you beat me to the punch never the less.

The video I posted (from 1962) refers to a 'new' concrete blend specifically for boats called "Seacrete".  Might be the British term for the same product, I suppose.

I am actually a huge fan of steampunk. lol. I am giving a pass on the sub, again because, fantasy based game. I am a lil nervous about that zeplin contraption, if it will be added but, only because if it is, I hope it is a slow moving, non combatant, passanger only deal.. because, if not, Kinda will draw the attention away from the sailing/ships what is the core of the  gameplay.

1 minute ago, Liatni said:

I am actually a huge fan of steampunk. lol. I am giving a pass on the sub, again because, fantasy based game. I am a lil nervous about that zeplin contraption, if it will be added but, only because if it is, I hope it is a slow moving, non combatant, passanger only deal.. because, if not, Kinda will draw the attention away from the sailing/ships what is the core of the  gameplay.

The Airship may not be planned for the official game... It's a model that was released in the same pack that had a WWI Tank and a WWII Military Flight Training airplane.

If it shows up in-game you might have to thank your Friendly Neighborhood Modder :classic_cool: