Sign in to follow this  
Wh33ls

Tames killed by alpha snake inside double walled stone base

As title says. All tames were inside a full stone base with all stone floors and double walls 2 foundations apart. Snake spawned inside base and killed all tames. But, I'm glad snakes don't get stuck on bamboo anymore, or walls. 

Atlas tame kill 1.jpg

Edited by Wh33ls
Spelling
  • Like 3

Indy, NEVER criticize a person by the name of "Gothic Dentist", you could be eating soft stuff.

It sucks and happened to us in a few short hours.

It used to happen on ships by the crocks but they have turned them down and ships are seemingly safe now. R.I.P. chickens, Agnes and Gertrude.

On land we learned by our elephant Dumbo to elevate everything, Dumbo IV is doing great.

Dogfood, our horse was a casualty within our discoveries too, sadly he became food for a wolf (we won't use Dogfood name anymore!). Replaced with female Checkyourpants.

Agnes II and Gertrude II, are making great vitamin A. Well, maybe not Gerty so much, we found shes a he.

They are working on it slowly though take extra measures and go up 2 to be safe, maybe build a foundation on ground level then go up.

It is crazy!

• Haha 3

We've thought about elevating our pen. But, that brings up other issues such as tames clipping into and through the floors on server restarts. Gets expensive having to replace floor tiles just to get a tame moving again. 

• Like 2

Cobra's were fine, but now they're phasing through our stone wall perimeter and almost through the stone wall to our barn.  Almost lost all our tames to bullshit.

They definitely need to get tweeted again. 

• Like 2

So far, knock wood, our stacked foundation walls are holding back the giant snakes.  the floors are also 2+ foundations thick and still have animals drop through,   We have noticed, that rattlesnakes, giant snakes and seagulls can get though open doors,  We do not have a gate, but use elevator to get pets in the pen, and ramp to get them out. 

We're storing most of our animals off shore on ships. Been working fine for a few weeks. 🙂

I had to move my base and build on the WATER for these reasons. After I did, I've had NO issues with any of my tames getting killed. You build 1 foundation higher than the water line, and you're good to go. You're going to hate the sheer number of foundations, but if you want to cut down the resource cost a bit, you may want to do stone floors for the first 2 exterior layers of your base (prevents having to repair damaged foundations as a result of the stupid animal hit box extensions. The rest can be filled in with wood or even thatch if you dare. 

Once the foundation is done, you can get fun with it, and do multi-tier peers/docks etc. If you want a SAFE base, this is the best way. The BONUS is that you ALSO free up your beach for resource gathering and extra gold tax from those that are doing the treasure hunts. 🙂 

See example in my photo:

|    STONE   |    STONE   |    WOOD    |

Base.jpg

Edited by Cantore

Well, we had an alpha wolf eating our stuff THROUGH a wall last night, it killed my buddy whilst he used a smithy.  In the end, we were in our building, and wolfy head was sticking through destroying everything it could get it's phased teeth into.  So standing just out of reach, we both piked the idiot to death, through the wall.

Two sides to a knife I guess.

Would absolutely suck for tames to be killed like this though..   Wild animals should not SPAWN anywhere near structures though.

• Like 2

Snakes do clip through walls and right into bases not sure why I guess it's too do with them being long and floppy eventually the game think they are inside 

Somthings up with the cobra alphas we had one spawn inside the base and killt all our tames on groundfloor aswel as a tannery and mortar en pestle happend last night

On 1/26/2019 at 4:23 PM, Wh33ls said:

We've thought about elevating our pen. But, that brings up other issues such as tames clipping into and through the floors on server restarts. Gets expensive having to replace floor tiles just to get a tame moving again. 

I think I've solved this problem, If you build a floor underneath it seems to stop stuff clipping through. 

So If I sleep on a floor that's supported by columns etc, I wake up on the ground underneath, likewise animals tend to drop through. But If I place another layer of ceiling tiles (another story) and sleep up there I'm fine, same with the pets.

1 hour ago, Strategos said:

I think I've solved this problem, If you build a floor underneath it seems to stop stuff clipping through. 

So If I sleep on a floor that's supported by columns etc, I wake up on the ground underneath, likewise animals tend to drop through. But If I place another layer of ceiling tiles (another story) and sleep up there I'm fine, same with the pets.

Sounds like a hack-bodge rather than the real solution from devs  😉

1 hour ago, Vorxius said:

Sounds like a hack-bodge rather than the real solution from devs  😉

Sounds like help for someone having the problem till the devs fix it.

8 hours ago, uli said:

Snakes do clip through walls and right into bases not sure why I guess it's too do with them being long and floppy eventually the game think they are inside 

If they can't figure out how to make collision detection work on snake meshes maybe they should take them out of the game. Just a thought. I'd rather have something not done at all then done wrong, but that's just me. 

7 hours ago, draco said:

Somthings up with the cobra alphas we had one spawn inside the base and killt all our tames on groundfloor aswel as a tannery and mortar en pestle happend last night

Yeah, one of their damn patches Friday I think it was broke cobras and essentially made them both super magic wall hacking assholes and, (even though I didn't think it was possible), even more aggressive. Which makes the alpha version officially the bs king of player griefing. 

• Like 2

Keep your barn on the water so you will have fewer problems. Benefits, you will have more resources next to you, animals can't spawn on the water (but it can spawn inside your base or barn). And always keep your animals away from the wall by 2 foundations. Also, elephant and rhinos falling from the stone ceiling, You need to have a foundation for them.

Edited by Robotukas

Just to add to this, I logged in today and went to take the elephant out, realised it is not there. I'm running around trying to find it to see if it wandered off. Nowhere to be seen so I checked the log and it said "your elephant was killed by a cobra" they are all in a secure area yet a cobra can kill tames? Come on, sort this out. You want us to test the game for you well here is a major flaw for us all, please fix it. 

Edited by DannyUK
  • Like 1

I've not personally had the clipping problem yet but when the treasure maps first came out we lost massive amounts of barn animals(cows/chickens) to the AoD that spawned in because people would climb our walls or get super close and just use the map to grief us.  We've kept quite a few bears/wolves/tigers in the walls on neutral since usually following something that is on passive.  Doesn't solve the issue but it definitely helps mitigate it for awhile for those having the issue, at least until it gets fixed(if it does).

had this happen to with an elephant we just tamed, damn thin was under our foundation attacking it, got the notification while we were out to sea.

• Like 1

Here we are in May and this is still happening. Last night I fast traveled to a base in a temperate clime and my pig and horse were fighting a cobra and had just killed two more. They were in a pen created using stone fencing, so I saw that the cobras were able to go right through the fence. While gathering more metal to try to improve the enclosure to include foundations, an Alpha Cobra came and killed my pig and then my horse before I could get a shot off. After killing my horse, it started coming for me. I got onto the second floor of my workshop and it could get a head through the lower wall but not to the second floor, so I would run from window to window shooting it.

Bottom line - fencing is worthless against cobras, so I am not sure what value fencing really has.

Animals will keep respawning in your house, there are designated areas where animals respawn , we have a Npc in a respawn area for rattlesnake. An there is always a rattlesnake hitting the puckle.  I used to have a bridge made over pillars 5 walls high over ground and there was an area of the large bridge tunnel that spawned lions. They just respawn from the sky and fall over your buildings or go inside of your buildings when you made your house over that area. Pillars can help you to avoid cobra's getting inside from outside, but not much if you build in a respawn. I used to have a house where lions and alpha snakes respawned, they even killed NPCs inside the building or destroyed Smithys and storagea trying to kill a NPC.  Build your house in other place.

Edited by Emanuel a

Build on pillars to prevent cobras from eating your animals. Since I've did this I haven't lost a single animal to cobras.

In the last days I saw different animals spawn in our houses or cages. Yesterday I went to one of my brigs and had to kill the cobra on the deck first. Really interesting....

Always keep your tames (most of them) on neutral when parked at home.

15 hours ago, ALLAN said:

Build on pillars to prevent cobras from eating your animals. Since I've did this I haven't lost a single animal to cobras.

Yup, I build on stilts over water. Never had a tame die since. Also has the added benefit of not affecting resources. Only ramps to doors. 

3 hours ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

Yup, I build on stilts over water. Never had a tame die since. Also has the added benefit of not affecting resources. Only ramps to doors. 

Cobras can move up ramps, btw.  We have a large holding pen, behind double large gate entrance, dual elevators to keep farming tames on top. 

Crew member built a "tavern" to store extra NPCs with a sloped roof.  The edge of the roof came close to a small hill next to the tavern. The bastid cobras were able to move onto and up the roof to get to our tames, 4 walls above.