Sherah

People dragging SotD to base to kill ships

Logged off last night just after midnight after going to get some new crew for our new ships only to log on this morning to having not 1, not 2 but all 5 of our ships (3 brigs, 1 schooner, 1 sloop) completely destroyed and looted from people bringing in SotD to attack our boats.

Sweet Jebus, if I wanted flipping PVP, I would have went to a damn PVP server, but instead my small guild (3 of us) and I get to deal with toxic ass hats who get their jollies off of griefing others.  It's not like we live on a island with resources, it's literally a small rock in the ocean that was given to us by our allies.  This seriously just removes the fun from the game and honestly what can I do to prevent this crap from happening again?  Nothing.  

• Like 1

Sucks this happen to you, but you could build a few towers and add a few npcs's with cannons, might help. I actually been thinking of doing the same thing. And give my offline ships a chance to survive.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Notorious said:

Sucks this happen to you, but you could build a few towers and add a few npcs's with cannons, might help. I actually been thinking of doing the same thing. And give my offline ships a chance to survive.

That's not a bad idea, I might try this myself also. I've been cautious of people doing this from the very beginning, not sure how long it has been going on but I have never had it happen to me yet. I might take action now to at least try and prevent it.

What kind of cannons do you reckon? I've not gone after any SOTD so I'm not sure how hard they are to take down with cannons or how many shots it takes.

Go medium cannons that way npcs can have some type of movement. I have not built one but after reading so many stories it's the only thing I can think of. Also set cannons to ships only, now I'm not sure in Pve how it works, but I'd hope it will target enemy ships only and not other players.

If you want to get serious add large cannons but I think you will be fine with a few mediums. 

@Notorious I was thinking of building some NPC manned swivel guns on the border of my base to deal with the cobras and crocs that populate the island I am living on. How do I set up these towers so that the NPCs get fed/paid and can use ammo? 

On ships, the NPCs eat from the mess table, pay themselves out of the ship resource chest, and retrieve ammo from the ammo crate. I don't understand how this works on land. Is there an invisible circle around them? Do you have to place the food, gold, and cannonballs into their inventories? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I need some defense for my base. BWT I am a PvE player so I am not worried about other players outsmarting the defenses or anything like that. 

I made a tower with cannons, the only problem is npc-s shotting turtles/fishs with cannons even if i set them ship only mode...

29 minutes ago, arcdevil said:

I made a tower with cannons, the only problem is npc-s shotting turtles/fishs with cannons even if i set them ship only mode...

I thought i had the only really stupid crew, nice to know Im not alone. Support group meets tonight, refreshments provided

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazlarus said:

@Notorious I was thinking of building some NPC manned swivel guns on the border of my base to deal with the cobras and crocs that populate the island I am living on. How do I set up these towers so that the NPCs get fed/paid and can use ammo? 

On ships, the NPCs eat from the mess table, pay themselves out of the ship resource chest, and retrieve ammo from the ammo crate. I don't understand how this works on land. Is there an invisible circle around them? Do you have to place the food, gold, and cannonballs into their inventories? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I need some defense for my base. BWT I am a PvE player so I am not worried about other players outsmarting the defenses or anything like that. 

In your tower you would add the ammo crate , ship resource   and same for food as you would on your ship. If I'm correct they should  grab ammo from the nearest ammo crate same for gold and food. I haven't made one yet but someone just did and said that the cannons shoot everything. I'm gonna test it out very soon and see if I can figure out how to set them to not attack everything. Might even be a bug. Cause I saw option for ships only.

I personally hope this works as it can help players sleep at night and one less thing to worry about.And no question is stupid as we are all learning the ways of the game.

• Thanks 1

I will report back here after trying our a tower design if I remember because I have heard about NPC manned mortar towers on PvP and puckle gun pillboxes. I have plenty of access to metal to keep up the pain on my island but was confused on how defense towers work. Hopefully I can do the science and figure this stuff out to clear this all up for the masses of fools like me 😛 

This has just happened to me. A company kited the ship around our island, it got caught in my dock and destroyed my unarmed schooner plus everything around it.

Edit: And also my Sloop now.

Edited by Dambob
Addition

Me too. Lost a bank, half my base, 2 schooners, 2 medium shipyards, and a sloop. 

I built a cannon tower with medium cannons and NPC's on land, but there was no setting (including ships only) I could use to stop them from wasting all the cannon balls on sea bass and turtles. 

I posted in bug reports.  If you search, I'm sure it'll come up and you can up vote it. Hopefully the devs are aware. 

I wouldn't even mind all that much of asshats want to kite SotD into my base of I could at least set up defenses.