Sign in to follow this  
Kamikazie

Suggestion: Fix for buildings, land claims and taxes

Problem:
1) People are building mega fortresses with 1000's of base parts that lag the server and cause load in lag when you get in visual range. 
2) People spam claims everywhere in areas they do not want/need just so they can have it
3) Raid mechanics require you to take each individual flag at up to 4 hours per flag. 10x flags mean 40 hours to take. I understand you can do multiple simultaneously, but nakeds will spawn and reset any claim you are not on. They can sail back on a raft and reset it if all the beds are destroyed.
4) Buildings are time-consuming to repair and it can be hard to find the damaged parts unless they are heavily damaged.

Solution:
New structure called Company Headquarters.
The Company Headquarters will replace the tax center in such a way that taxes go in and upkeep comes out. The idea is that each flag costs a scaling amount such that it makes the claim sizes be linked to the number of members in the company by having them have to farm and fill the center with the materials requested. The materials needed are a % of the things built in the zone. The building will also after one hour of no PvP begin passively repairing structures. This solves the 5000 block fortress that the 3 man group built because they can not afford the upkeep. It solves the spam of large gates because people will need to keep inserting alloy and large quantities of stone. 

The building is expensive, most islands do not have everything so to ask for the materials in the tax center on any claim is a bad idea. Pick an arbitrary number like 3 claims do not require the building but any more do.

If the building runs out of materials or is destroyed all repairs stop immediately and all claim flags are dropped after 12 hours at a rate of 1 per hour until there are 5 flags remaining. The destruction of the building leaves wreckage like a boat where the attacker can loot the building but the defender can repair it and it continues to act as the focal point for the decay of flags... furthest away first after 12 hours at 1 per hour.

Attackers can siege the building which will put it into rubble status. The rubble will light on fire for a determined amount of time which is +/- 2 hours of a chosen time (at least 24 hours) and after that time can be repaired by either team. If the attackers take the building, everything will flip to the attackers. If the defenders defend it and repair it, the timer is reset buildings begin to repair and their claims are safe. This is in addition to the claim flag system but guarantees the one claim someone chooses to safeguard cannot be offlined. 

This makes it so that there are two ways to remove someone, spam claim flags and take all but one headquartered claim than fight for the building or just go for the building. If you do the claims first you can build a FOB and have access to things like mortars to shell the base and defenders. If you have the numbers, go right for the building.

I've used the word building a few times but let's talk about the reality of what it should be... It should be like 150-200k hp. Something that random roaming PvPers will ignore and require a deliberate attack.

• Like 1

You know the artistic minecraft carebears wont like this suggestion at all.  But I like it, that is all that matters to me.

The only solution for that is to make all buildings to be one premade object like shipyard, bank, lighthouse and remove floors/walls etc

Edited by Nuka

49 minutes ago, Nuka said:

The only solution for that is to make all buildings to be one premade object like shipyard, bank, lighthouse and remove floors/walls etc

Humm, maybe optimizing the code instead?

Occlusion culling would be amazing. I see they use streaming textures with LOD but I feel the occlusion could be better. They do really well with the graphics overall compared to most games with free placement and ocean coding. You don't realize how much goes into culling the ocean out of a boat that could be a strain on alot of stuff.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hodo said:

You know the artistic minecraft carebears wont like care about this suggestion at all because since it wouldn’t be implimented on pve, it wouldn’t affect them.  But I like it, that is all that matters to me.

Fixed.

Sounds like a great idea btw.

• Like 1