Sign in to follow this  
JTK45

Taking Claims in pve?

My group has wanted to take an area for a while but the way claims work is weird. The company we are trying to take from hasn't had anyone on in over a week now and I can't take their area. It lets me put down my flag and says contested and doesn't give me a declaim timer. I have heard sleepers stop claims so I have picked a spot where no buildings are but they have a bunch of overlapping claims, is that causing a problem?

https://gyazo.com/f675f747c3fddca5d261357383ff27c3

Place the flag close to theirs and then check contesters from their flag. They should appear as 2 yellow crossed swords if they are close by. If you see nothing then it might be the overlap 

Nope, no yellow swords when I place it against theirs. Why is it even possible to make unstealable areas? it's just gonna make it so in a year half the map is unclaimable with inactive groups everywhere.

Yeah the whole claim system in pve is kinda weird. Wanted to claim my neighbours land, Cause he stopped playing 2 weeks ago. But i Can't take it, cause an random player is sleeping in an overlapping area miles away inside a schooner on sea since 3 weeks.

If you place the flag and it immediately says "your claim is being contested" it means that someone is already in the ring of your claim or the ring of the claim you are trying to take.

The trick is, you are not always contesting only one flag, you are often contesting multiple, in particular you are often contesting an overlapping sea claim which has a much much larger radius.

In the scenario you raise above it is likely that the problem is you are contesting the land flag and a sea claim, because of the radius of the sea claim when you ping a flag to show enemy combatants it will not always show the full radius of the sea claim. I guarantee there are sleepers within the radius of one of the flags you are contesting.

How do you get around this? Well, there are plenty of inactive players out there and not all of their land overlaps the structure they are sleeping in. Pay close attention to the border of the claim (the red line) follow it all the way around with your flag up, whilst you are learning, flicking the mouse side to side just a tiny bit will allow you to keep moving forward but check a slightly wider stretch of land, there are often points where claims stop overlapping just a tiny amount and if you aren't moving the flag side to side you wont find it (imagine the action of a metal detector). 

When you do find a spot you can contest, place it down, locate the flag, check the timer on it, small companies claims are ~4hrs, large companies claims are ~30-45mins, companies with a negative flag count only have a 15 minute contest timer.

If the flag says contested, ping the flag, check for where the enemy combatants are, if none are shown when you ping the flag then it is most likely your flag placement is also contesting another overlapping flag which the enemy is sleeping in (sea or land claim). Check the outer limits of the flag which is contestible on the opposite side to where you just placed your flag.. you may find a spot where the land being slept on does not overlap the land you want to claim.

-Darksea Dawgs Chief Surveyor

MISTERMYZIK,

Yeah, your tips are spot on. Problem we are having at the moment in our island is there are some claim griefers here. They currently took 19 claim flags already wiping the island nearly clean. They have no kit, and nothing.

We're trying to get back an old claim next to us, since the people have stolen that claim from us when the claim system wasn't fixed yet. Though the newly arrived claim griefers built a building on the claim we want to take and placed a sleep-contester in there meaning we can't do anything just to troll us (they stated that they wanted to troll us on purpose).

It's pretty annoying, I made a ticket about it and I'm expecting no response. They log on every 4-6hrs to come walk up to us and say "Ha ha, your flag hasn't moved yet" or "Ha ha you're wasting your time, more hours wasted!".

Sleeping bodies who do not belong to a contested claim shouldn't be able to contest it at all imho.

- Cailean Wintermane

I'm in N12 we have a few flags here but there are 3 companies who have the majority of the island Sons of Orion, Straw Hats, and Blue Siren Trading Co. No one from Blue siren has been on in over 2 weeks now. We want to take their claims so we can actually build but all of their flags overlap at least 1/4 the way into other flags and they have buildings every other flag so are you basically telling me without some sort of admin intervention 1/3 of our island will stay useless and taxing us 30% of the majority of the small number of metal nodes here forever. 

The claim system is utterly broken. Forget about taking the claims until they change the way it works. You can essentially via a sleeper or someone just logging in once a while auto defend an entire server tile by overlapping flag protection.

And since they changed the default flag to anyone can build, some islands are now useless with no resources due to foundation spammers and people just desperate for any land.

Edited by Shintai