TheSzerdi

Ironside Ships

With the buff to wooden structures is everyone covering their ships with wood walls and roof pieces now? 

new-ironsides-h58743.jpg

Meh, personally I couldn't stand the ugliness, but with this much buff I might suck it up and armor my ships.

I cruisin' with my fully armored brig blastin' high lvl damned dudes barely taking plank damage. They go trough sometimes tho but nothing serious. All in all its not about ugliness or beauty but effectiveness. 40 levels in two days and now my ship xp bar won't move anymore so I guess it's max level. I'll test it more tomorrow 

1 minute ago, Lukas1987 said:

I cruisin' with my fully armored brig blastin' high lvl damned dudes barely taking plank damage. They go trough sometimes tho but nothing serious. All in all its not about ugliness or beauty but effectiveness. 40 levels in two days and now my ship xp bar won't move anymore so I guess it's max level. I'll test it more tomorrow 

Any tips on how to make the armor (wood) go down to the water line? Any videos? I'd like to try out a build like this. Iv'e seen builds with roof or ramps on the top deck, but not down to the water line.

Hmmm I'm on the phone now. I'll try to explain easiest way. Place a wood wall 1 foundation away from plank. Place 1 wood ceiling on top of wall so it lines up with a plank below. Now you can start placing wooden ramps all the way to the bottom. Rest of the armor is your imagination. But if you place too much you gonna get structure limit and kinda heavy so be warned to compensate for something. I can show you my ship when I come on pc tomorrow 

44 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Meh, personally I couldn't stand the ugliness, but with this much buff I might suck it up and armor my ships.

Yes, the armor is ugly, did not say that used it... + played on pve, who cares about max efficiency there... Also the walls in general look horrible anyway, they connect to those wooden ceilings we place inside the deck which means there is alot of space between them and planks or they clip inside eachother, the worst is back and front, our schooner have a massive gap at the back between wall and back plank, those things look radiculously ugly no matter the armor anyway.

I am interested in soloing level 60 SODs on PvE, so pictures of an effective armored ship are appreciated.

Didn't think about the change like that. Yeah looks like the ugly turtleship meta will get worse now.

2 minutes ago, Zheo said:

Nothing changed about the wood walls on ships in the patch.

I think you may have caught something in how the update was worded that I didn't notice until now:

- Wood Land Structure has been buffed to provide better resistance to siege weapon types by 40%.
- Wood Land Structures have been buffed to provide better defence against all non-explosive/siege damage types by 50%.

It clearly states Land Structure made of wood, so we have to assume a wood wall on a boat is the same as always. Too bad. I haven't made stone yet, but assume it would be too heavy to armor a boat with.

10 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I think you may have caught something in how the update was worded that I didn't notice until now:

- Wood Land Structure has been buffed to provide better resistance to siege weapon types by 40%.
- Wood Land Structures have been buffed to provide better defence against all non-explosive/siege damage types by 50%.

It clearly states Land Structure made of wood, so we have to assume a wood wall on a boat is the same as always. Too bad. I haven't made stone yet, but assume it would be too heavy to armor a boat with.

@Zheo

The only non-land wood structures are planks. I would be willing to bet the walls / ceilings / roofs on ships still count as "land" structures. Haven't tested damage though.

I have some useless legendary stone and wood ceiling tiles BP, and tried to place stone on a ship; you get the error, "you cannot place stone structures on a ship."

19 hours ago, TheSzerdi said:

With the buff to wooden structures is everyone covering their ships with wood walls and roof pieces now? 

new-ironsides-h58743.jpg

Now?  LOL been doing that for a while now.

My crew made one awhile back, we play on PvE so it’s more for fun than ship to ship combat, although it does work against SOD pretty well. 

71E472E8-1991-42B6-B18E-CFAFAEF8C210.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Humcitysav said:

My crew made one awhile back, we play on PvE so it’s more for fun than ship to ship combat, although it does work against SOD pretty well. 

71E472E8-1991-42B6-B18E-CFAFAEF8C210.jpeg

Simply screenshot it, unless sending photos from phone by making a photo of that phone with photo on screen.

As for ship, looks rather cool, however SoDs and players usualy aim/hit planks or nearby ship making those armors kinda useless. Not sure why anyone bothers with inside armor, only armor that matters is side armor on planks.

18 minutes ago, Dragonchampion said:

Didn't you guys watch the stream? Ironside planks and decks are going to be added in the Late February Patch.

Yeah, that will be cool, like being a tank in games.

56 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Simply screenshot it, unless sending photos from phone by making a photo of that phone with photo on screen.

As for ship, looks rather cool, however SoDs and players usualy aim/hit planks or nearby ship making those armors kinda useless. Not sure why anyone bothers with inside armor, only armor that matters is side armor on planks.

Yeah, that will be cool, like being a tank in games.

You can actually get those roof panels down over the planks of the ship, so they cover your sides.  In calm seas your armor will come down to the waterline of the ship.  

15 hours ago, wildbill said:

I haven't made stone yet, but assume it would be too heavy to armor a boat with.

It wont let you place stone parts on ships.