Sign in to follow this  
Nox

So, I really want to know - what is technically wrong with you, developers?

Right now, since the information isn't publically availed, the only people who get early alerting on the location of the FOY are people in very big alliances.

The net result of this is that those people rush the location and then by sheer force of numbers are able to overcome or divert the 6-7 level 120 alligator spawns or the 12 level 160 wolf spawns etc.

So now your superfriends alliances can send in enough bodies to distract the 12 fire elementals at 07 (yes, really 12), the 8 crocodiles at c6, the .... 

This is so un-fun, and god awful bad that it makes you as developers look utterly incompetent.   Forgive me if that sounds harsh, but I've been at this for 2 days.  I know people have lucked out and done it, but really I'm supposed to spend hours and hours running naked into this garbage for what?  because you couldn't finish the primary game mechanic which was family so you put in some half baked garbage that is just stupid?

My other option is to live looking like a prune with a perma debuff and not get the buff.  This really does feel like you are forcibly excrementing right down player's throats. 

The fire elementals whose fireballs go through water, the wolves that have an attack range longer than polearms and attack through structures and wall clip, the gorgons that stun you for 25 seconds, the tigers that do 125 damage a hit to wooden structures.

I don't honestly think you could crank out game design this bad if you tried, this is really some gift you have.

Edited by Nox
bad game design
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

And worse the game performance is so utterly shit that the players and effects triggered by this incredibly badly thought out stupidity wrecks your frame rate so you can't open/close, dodge, or get on ladders.

And for what?  What does this accomplish other than demonstrate your poor judgment and lack of creativity?

E3658555A935920788CA68022743C8B6DD58B3F6

Edited by Nox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So far, also going from ark experiences, their idea of challenging game design seems to mostly be spawn a bunch of hyper aggressive powerful mobs and give the players virtually no chance unless they devote their life to the game.

then they take it a step further and kick you while you are down, threatening to delete your character because you don't want to go through all the headaches. The age mechanic is one I am strongly against as a whole, it breaks the whole point of an MMO for me by threatening to strip all progress from you. Currently it just robs your stats, but that's not cool either.  Reward for doing it or not, the fact that it punishes you and is planned to punish you more in the future if you don't want to is counter productive to the games long term playability.

I liked ark, and I like this game more, but some of the design choices are absolutely atrocious or outright cruel to the player.

30 minutes ago, Nox said:

Right now, since the information isn't publically availed, the only people who get early alerting on the location of the FOY are people in very big alliances.

The net result of this is that those people rush the location and then by sheer force of numbers are able to overcome or divert the 6-7 level 120 alligator spawns or the 12 level 160 wolf spawns etc.

So now your superfriends alliances can send in enough bodies to distract the 12 fire elementals at 07 (yes, really 12), the 8 crocodiles at c6, the .... 

This is so un-fun, and god awful bad that it makes you as developers look utterly incompetent.   Forgive me if that sounds harsh, but I've been at this for 2 days.  I know people have lucked out and done it, but really I'm supposed to spend hours and hours running naked into this garbage for what?  because you couldn't finish the primary game mechanic which was family so you put in some half baked garbage that is just stupid?

My other option is to live looking like a prune with a perma debuff and not get the buff.  This really does feel like you are forcibly excrementing right down player's throats. 

The fire elementals whose fireballs go through water, the wolves that have an attack range longer than polearms and attack through structures and wall clip, the gorgons that stun you for 25 seconds, the tigers that do 125 damage a hit to wooden structures.

I don't honestly think you could crank out game design this bad if you tried, this is really some gift you have.

I'd rather they just took age out. I've yet to see anyone tell me what it brings to the game.

It has no place in the game, and they've forcibly crowbarred it as some means of innovation signalling. 

They need to understand you should not innovate for innovations sake, they're losing sight of what their game should be about.

Age should be turned into a character creator slider, and fountain of youth should just be scrapped; or changed into the fountain of knowledge or something, and give people a buff if they optionally want to pursue this absolute trash. 

Don't hold our characters hostage, and force us through the the shittest game development I've ever seen.

Edited by Adfax

Well my post still stands.  God this is so bad.  

Dear developer, whoever decided to put this fountain of youth in a spot and have everyone nakedrush with these hyper mobs should have their hands stapled together and never be allowed near a computer again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The theory that Atlas is a failed project and they're trying to kill it is starting to make more sense to me. FoY seems purpose-built to make players quit. 

And now one of the dudes from one of the superfriends mega-grind tryhard alliances is picking down beds.    Looks like Destiny?    The cartel cannoning down sloops in C6.  

Bravo.  I guess i'm not as antisocial as I thought, it never occurred to me to dick other people over in this already horrible situation but all's fair.

So I ask an open question - 

Did the developers not consider the consequences of making this ffa zone some place you have to travel to, have beds in and have to spawn bind rush to get to the fountain, and that it'd be an ongoing thing?  

Because the natural consequence is that it is a completely stupid shitshow of trying to bob and weave past buffed mobs who can't legit be fought because there are 20 of them, and in the mean time other players are destroying the boats you bring and the beds you spawn on?

You have to ask yourself - did the developers really not consider the consequences of their design?  If they didn't, if they couldn't predict the obvious outcome of this fairly simple design decision then that casts a long and very ugly shadow on this game.  That does align with changes like the recent major nerf to stone, and other questionable moves.

Is there noone on the dev team with enough competence and authority to say "no, don't do that - that'll just be a griefy shit show".  If not, well this game is going nowhere.

1 hour ago, Ichor said:

So far, also going from ark experiences, their idea of challenging game design seems to mostly be spawn a bunch of hyper aggressive powerful mobs and give the players virtually no chance unless they devote their life to the game.

then they take it a step further and kick you while you are down, threatening to delete your character because you don't want to go through all the headaches. The age mechanic is one I am strongly against as a whole, it breaks the whole point of an MMO for me by threatening to strip all progress from you. Currently it just robs your stats, but that's not cool either.  Reward for doing it or not, the fact that it punishes you and is planned to punish you more in the future if you don't want to is counter productive to the games long term playability.

I liked ark, and I like this game more, but some of the design choices are absolutely atrocious or outright cruel to the player.

Once you said you liked this game more than ark I couldn’t take it seriously anymore.

this is the game. Nothing is going to change so your opinion of this game is based on how it is now, not what you want it to be

10 minutes ago, Nox said:

And now one of the dudes from one of the superfriends mega-grind tryhard alliances is picking down beds.    Looks like Destiny?    The cartel cannoning down sloops in C6.  

Bravo.  I guess i'm not as antisocial as I thought, it never occurred to me to dick other people over in this already horrible situation but all's fair.

So I ask an open question - 

Did the developers not consider the consequences of making this ffa zone some place you have to travel to, have beds in and have to spawn bind rush to get to the fountain, and that it'd be an ongoing thing?  

Because the natural consequence is that it is a completely stupid shitshow of trying to bob and weave past buffed mobs who can't legit be fought because there are 20 of them, and in the mean time other players are destroying the boats you bring and the beds you spawn on?

You have to ask yourself - did the developers really not consider the consequences of their design?  If they didn't, if they couldn't predict the obvious outcome of this fairly simple design decision then that casts a long and very ugly shadow on this game.  That does align with changes like the recent major nerf to stone, and other questionable moves.

Is there noone on the dev team with enough competence and authority to say "no, don't do that - that'll just be a griefy shit show".  If not, well this game is going nowhere.

Of course it’s goinf nowhere. It isn’t even a good game, regardless of anything

• Like 1

Instead of ships like this...
39bc305da6ab086bffd20fe139b46c35.jpg
...to fight...

they gave you...
maxresdefault.jpg
...Corporate Luxury Yachts of the Damned.

And make no mistake, this was done because making AI sailing ships that sail and fight based on the wind, was much harder than making turreted cannons on ships that aren't constrained by the wind.

So how much do you expect from them?

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Adfax said:

Don't hold our characters hostage, and force us through the the shittest game development I've ever seen.

This is the really baffling part for me. 

Why, exactly, are we being punished for a game mechanic they have not even implemented yet? If they're not going to turn aging and the debuff off, at least say "Oh hey guys, we're sorry we haven't finished developing this aging/lineage feature yet, here's the Fountain of Youth buff to counteract it until we are finished developing it... " Then put the thing in ONE  location ... and LEAVE IT THERE PLEASE.  At least give players the chance to get to it without hundreds of players cramming into each zone every time it moves and causing massive lag due to hundreds of shipwrecks, players and high-level monsters everywhere. 

Please, developers, TURN OFF the aging mechanic and debuff until you get it working as intended. This FOY thing is just completely broken and a terrible idea. You're sinking your own ship here.

• Like 2

OK Hey developers - please allow me to help you unfuck your game.

Instead of a particle effect at the Worst Place In The Game That Also Has Broken Spawns And Griefers (tm), may I humbly suggest that you do this :

When the player gets the rejuvination quest, they get a seed from the Tree of Life which they have to plant somewhere that a seed is not already planted.  

Where the seeds are planted, it makes a brief double gather location radius buff and a short recovery debuff that just prevents planting in that spot again for a bit.

Easy, peasy, spreads people out and it's net positive.

Now tell me, was that so hard?  It really wasn't.

If you can't handle hard things like that, then please FFS just put the goddamned sparkly pixel in the well at the newbie island and stop trying so god damned hard to fail.

Edited by Nox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nox said:

Get ready for the fan boy white knight kool aid drinkers to come at you. Even though you should be able to point out issues with the game and not suffer back lash from it. I read your post and your not alone on this crap.

1 hour ago, Envie said:

This is the really baffling part for me. 

Why, exactly, are we being punished for a game mechanic they have not even implemented yet? If they're not going to turn aging and the debuff off, at least say "Oh hey guys, we're sorry we haven't finished developing this aging/lineage feature yet, here's the Fountain of Youth buff to counteract it until we are finished developing it... " Then put the thing in ONE  location ... and LEAVE IT THERE PLEASE.  At least give players the chance to get to it without hundreds of players cramming into each zone every time it moves and causing massive lag due to hundreds of shipwrecks, players and high-level monsters everywhere. 

Please, developers, TURN OFF the aging mechanic and debuff until you get it working as intended. This FOY thing is just completely broken and a terrible idea. You're sinking your own ship here.

Or just turn it off entirely.. 

Try to think about what an age mechanic brings to the game.. Just try. It adds nothing to the core of the game, only ruins the look of people's characters, by either having them older or younger than they want them; and forcing us to commit to this annoyance just so we don't have to endlessly reroll over and over.

1. People hate losing their characters they've grown to love

2.People don't like being given a character to customize, only to have elements of that customization to be ripped away by a mechanic that adds nothing to the game.

3.People don't like being forced to do stuff they don't want to do, to maintain something that they've always had.. As someone described.. The age mechanic is just the vitamin mechanic but 100x worse.

Edited by Adfax

6 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Or just turn it off entirely.. 

Try to think about what an age mechanic brings to the game.. Just try. It adds nothing to the core of the game, only ruins the look of people's characters, by either having them older or younger than they want them; and forcing us to commit to this chore just so we don't have to endlessly reroll over and over.

Ok, sure, they could just decide to leave it out entirely - that would be ok too. Very few MMO's have ever tried this particular kind of mechanic. I actually like the idea in theory. I like it far more than the stupid vitamin and temperature balancing act mechanics. I'd rather have aging/dying/lineage than those. 

But the point is, if they're not done with the lineage/family feature, they shouldn't have put aging into Early Access at all - wait until they have it done. But to add insult to injury, they add an even more stupid mechanic (FOY) than the aging debuff in the first place! 

Edited by Envie

8 minutes ago, Envie said:

Ok, sure, they could just decide to leave it out entirely - that would be ok too. Very few MMO's have ever tried this particular kind of mechanic. I actually like the idea in theory. I like it far more than the stupid vitamin and temperature balancing act mechanics. I'd rather have aging/dying/lineage than those. 

But the point is, if they're not done with the lineage/family feature, they shouldn't have put aging into Early Access at all - wait until they have it done. But to add insult to injury, they add an even more stupid mechanic (FOY) than the aging debuff in the first place! 

All it equates to is a bumpmap that progresses over a period of time, that eventually builds to a debuff that forces you to do something you don't want to have to do. Something difficult and annoying; at the threat of losing your character (in the future) and a debuff (currently). 

Edited by Adfax

no one gets forced to do anything.

If u don't like what you are able to play now, u can make a break from and take a look at it later again or stop playing it.

But to cry about the game, bugs, glitches, devs etc is just senseless.

If u building a house in real life and in the first week of construction u go there and fucks up with the construction-company, because there is no roof or green garden yet........? Really? Imagine what they will tell u then 😂

So please don't shoot the devs, they're working day by day. And the game is out since 6...8weeks now as an alpha - a fucking alpha! 

First thinking about what u payed for. 100.- for a finished game after reading 3 years only about it? OR did u payed almost nothing for a huge game with all the possibilities in front of it, to become a masterpiece maybe?

Time will show, what the devs are planning for us. I'm exited to be able to be a part of this journey.

What a naive and refreshing point of view!

I imagine that if you saw someone drive over a line of kindergarten children you would say "At least they're driving!"

Edited by Nox

Just now, Forb Hidden said:

But to cry about the game, bugs, glitches, devs etc is just senseless.

Is your character 90-100 years old with the age stat debuff on it? Have you built ramshackle sloops and gone to the regions where the fountain of youth is located to try and get the debuff removed? If you've done all that and still think it's an ok game mechanic that isn't broken to the point of making people hate the game, then you are a one-man survival game master I guess. 💀

The 2 most important allies to complete this quest are lag and luck. Lag slows down aggroing speed allowing you to simply run past those crocodiles before they aggro you. 

In the cave can you go prone to move below the bats. But even then does it depend on luck. Keep trying until you are lucky and only do this quest at busy hours. Golden realms with a gigantic amount of ships are ideal, those ships buff your lag ally 🙂

No it's even worse than that. I'm ready for the quest next week. So I have to deathrun the foy nearly alone and not covered by 100 other runners. I hope hard, that they will make a change till then. But what else than hope for it can I do? - nothing. So I have to eat that fucking salted candy too. 

Me and a friend tried spawn rushing the O7 FoY without success yesterday.

Conclusion: worst design of game mechanic ever. How they could put this in their game and think "this will be fun for players to do" is something I fail to understand.

we failed after maybe half an hour trying to get past the fire elementals and after the "stone patch" destroyed our plans to build there just really wasn't much heart left to do anything in what could have been a great game.

Dont bother posting suggestions on what we should have done.

We would have figured that out ourselves in time, point is: We didn't have the heart to tackle the challenge since the question "Why bother" was in the back of our heads during the few hours game session last night.

• Like 2

So I managed to get to the foy fairly easily, the lag and tons of people made it easier in a strange way. I'm in a big alliance that always knows where it is and we usually have beds available. With that being said, I think it's a terrible solution. Or at the very least it shouldn't be the only solution. There could be some craftable elixir that would make cooking a little more useful. You could even make it take some rare ingredients so that groups could sail around selling this elixir. Implementing the whole having a kid thing could be another solution. There is apparently supposed to be magic in the future, make some sort of spell that can be cast to make people young again. Personally, I think there should be various ways to deal with the mechanic that can appeal to small companies, large companies, pve'ers and pvp'ers. Until some changes have been made we should just go back to aging not giving us a debuff. I don't mind going to the foy but I can totally see how other people struggle with it and there should be more thought put into this.