wildbill

When can we have our base on a ship?

I know I came to this game thinking maybe I could build a ship, put all the essentials on it and just sail around owning no land and having no other base (PVE only of course).

Before the game was released, this was a common topic. I don't see anyone discuss this now. The reality is the game is a version of ARK with ships and other stuff added to it.

I would still love to see this option for PVE players (can't imagine any PVP player would want to see their base sink to the bottom of the sea).

Do we have to wait for a mod to play this way on unofficial servers?

The way I envision this, you start from scratch, collect the resources, and then build the ship. There would be shipyards at the freeports, no need to build your own (you'd need land for that, and we are not going to be a landowner in this version of the game). You launch your boat and head out to explore the map endlessly, taking your base everywhere you go. You could anchor it somewhere if you like, fast travel to the freeport and make another one. I can imagine having several scattered about the map, all safely anchored when not in use.

All the parts of the boat could be made at the shipyard, which I suppose you would rent for the time it takes to make the ship. No need for extra crafting benches (I was a bit surprised when I made my first boat that it wasn't all crafted at the shipyard).

This is the life of a real pirate. A real pirate doesn't need a home on the land. That is for the landlubbers 🙂

Any ship larger than sloop can fit all crafting stations. Just need a dock until you get the ship built, then you can live on it. I would recommend a brigantine for solo / duo / trio. Galleon for any larger group. I would love to play this way, but it just isn't feasible. You need a safe harbor to log out at. 

9 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Any ship larger than sloop can fit all crafting stations. Just need a dock until you get the ship built, then you can live on it. I would recommend a brigantine for solo / duo / trio. Galleon for any larger group. I would love to play this way, but it just isn't feasible. You need a safe harbor to log out at. 

You can live off of a Schooner.  It is just cramped... depends on how you build it though.

11 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

I think a safe harbor is just one of the many problem you would have. 

I'll list a few that I know:

1) You or your tames on server restarts would occasionally fall through the bottom of the boat and drown.

2) You or your tames would get stuck in the side of the ship or some part of it. Dismantling a ship that is floating to free the tame, a bit hazardous.

3) The weight of your base on the ship. Would be too much I think. It isn't like you have a storage locker someplace (like you might in real life).

4) Many things in a base (tames and some crafting stations) require a height of more than one wall, but the ships are designed to only have that height on the top deck.

If anyone has actually played the game with nothing but a ship(s) and no base on land, please feel free to comment on how that has been working for you.

Edited by wildbill

@wildbill The weight would be the biggest issue. Tames die constantly no matter what you do. Getting stuck happens anyway. Just die and respawn. The two high stations can be placed below deck on all ships except sloop. In some cases you may have to place the station, then deck above, due to clipping. 

3 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

@wildbill The weight would be the biggest issue. Tames die constantly no matter what you do. Getting stuck happens anyway. Just die and respawn. The two high stations can be placed below deck on all ships except sloop. In some cases you may have to place the station, then deck above, due to clipping. 

Thanks. This is the kind of information I need. I really want to try this, but I'm going to wait a bit to see if they can resolve some of the issues first. I can't imagine any outcome at this point other than making me want to quit out of frustration if I tried this right now.

Well i'd certainly prefer my mobile base sink rather than my land base wiped. Especially with that stone nerf.

One thing we don't have currently, is retractable ramps (like a draw bridge) for a ship. I'd like some way to get on the ship other than the ladders. 

My wife has a heck of a time with the ladders.

I am constantly getting tames stuck in the deck when I load them using the radial menu. I've also lost one that way (I think it teleported through the map when it collided with something).

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

Thanks. This is the kind of information I need. I really want to try this, but I'm going to wait a bit to see if they can resolve some of the issues first. I can't imagine any outcome at this point other than making me want to quit out of frustration if I tried this right now.

If you can find someone that will provide a safe harbor you could absolutely play this way. I have a max level brigantine with all crafting stations, fully NPC manned, 25 crew capacity, four beds, and 20000 max weight. 

• Like 1