Sign in to follow this  
Taiphoz

Stop offline raiding with an invuln timer.

There will be a handfull of people who actually love going round and raiding people while they are offline so I expect a bunch of them to show up in this post, however I suspect that the bulk of players enjoying the game at the moment have not been offline raided and wiped out. those that have end up quitting like so many people have, I think the game can handle losing a few of those players but its getting a bit ridiculous now.

My Suggestion is fairly straight forward, first of all each Company and the players within should have a single claim flag, a company of 10 players should get 10 claim flags and each player is responsible for placing their own claim flag to expand their companies reach and hold over an area, this solves the issue we have now with 2 guys locking down an entire island making it look like the whole place is busy and claimed when in reality its just 2 dudes, with this system they can still claim land but now it would be proportional to their companies size.

Secondly the company leader should also have a Base flag as well as his normal claim flag, the Base flag will function differently from the usual claim flag, it will be a structure that can be placed anywhere on the map, once placed it will be at stage 0 it will have a decent HP pool, players and companies will then be able to open its UI like the drydocks, and inside this they will see upgrades for their company flag, stage 1 which would cost x resources of y type would increase the base flags base HP and slightly increase it's radius of influence.

With a base flag in place any base objects within its radius would gain a buff to all of their HP pools, this buff will increase per Base Flag increase, and the buff should start at 10* and go up from there, the key factor is that the Base flag's buff only activates 10 minutes after the last player in the company goes offline, and will continue to buff the area for 12 hours, after 12 hours the base flag will begin to consume gold to maintain its buff, if a hostile player attacks the base flag within the 10 minutes before the buf is activated then the timer is reset, this will allow a pvp player to continue to attack and raid the base at normal unbuffed levels.

This Mechanic will encourage players to raid online because raiding offline will be incredibly hard, and it will reward players with good Intel on the enemy, like having a spy watching for the last player to go offline so they can attempt to stall the base flag timer.

Also to note that this wont stop people offlining ships with the smaller radius of the base flag most people are going to have their base and as much actual land protected as possible so they have more protected build space, so I dont think this will stop people from sinking ships offline, I also dont think most people worry too much about losing a ship at least not as badly as they fear losing their base.

your title say offline raid protection then you go ranting about limiting flag claims and then tag on the proven offline protection in ark 

stop with the claim flags limiting

all the hype is over now...

there are tons of claims to take over , the issue now is too many logged out sleepers are contesting the areas , this needs to be sorted then u will find there is a fuck ton of land available 

Edited by UDO

Even this would be extremely exploitable so I doubt this would ever happen. People could just have a company strictly for holding the base and rebuilding when enough supplies have been acquired that is only vulnerable for 20 minutes out of each day while they have another company that uses that base.

4 minutes ago, Pindrought said:

Even this would be extremely exploitable so I doubt this would ever happen. People could just have a company strictly for holding the base and rebuilding when enough supplies have been acquired that is only vulnerable for 20 minutes out of each day while they have another company that uses that base.

You clearly didn't read or understand what I said, in your scenario a raider would simply raid the base while that 1 guy was online or wait 5 minutes after he goes offline to raid, or are you suggesting that he be perma logged in in which case the base does not get the buff at all and then gets raided regardless ?

Regardless you can easily solve this by making sure that only the company who owns the base flag can build within its range just like normal claim flags.

If you have a specific exploitable method in mind feel free to share it, no first draft of an idea will be perfect it will require iteration, but unless you see something glaring that I missed I think its a good start.

1 minute ago, Taiphoz said:

You clearly didn't read or understand what I said, in your scenario a raider would simply raid the base while that 1 guy was online or wait 5 minutes after he goes offline to raid, or are you suggesting that he be perma logged in in which case the base does not get the buff at all and then gets raided regardless ?

Regardless you can easily solve this by making sure that only the company who owns the base flag can build within its range just like normal claim flags.

If you have a specific exploitable method in mind feel free to share it, no first draft of an idea will be perfect it will require iteration, but unless you see something glaring that I missed I think its a good start.

You must not have understood what I said.

You have two "companies."

Company A.

Company B.

Company A has 1 player in it that builds the base.

Player in Company A logs in twice a day and logs off immediately at 12 hour intervals. This will leave the base with 10* foritfications for 23hr 40 mins of each day.

Company B has all of the real players.

Company B is allied with company A and uses their building with pin codes to take advantage of 10* health boost.

Understand now?

Company B does not have to be able to directly build on Company A's claim. They can have pill boxes on their claim just for respawns and use company A's base for storaging/crafting/storing tames/etc since it has improved fortifications.

NO to invulnerability timers.... just NO NO NO NO.

If you cant defend your stuff then you dont need your stuff.  I am not on 24/7 but my company is.   Yes we have lost ships, buildings, and countless hours of work... but that is the nature of the game.   

17 minutes ago, Hodo said:

If you cant defend your stuff then you dont need your stuff.  I am not on 24/7 but my company is.   Yes we have lost ships, buildings, and countless hours of work... but that is the nature of the game.    

So what you're saying is that you spend your time in game raiding offline players and companies? Got it. 

11 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

So what you're saying is that you spend your time in game raiding offline players and companies? Got it. 

LOL you sir have the max power of assumptions... fact is I dont have time to go out raiding when I am online during the week.  And I only show up if there is an ACTUAL fight.  Not just killing NPCs and sinking ships in a harbor.   

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

Any gameplay mechanic that punishes people for logging out is a bad gameplay mechanic and thats exactly what offline raiding does, it also forces players into mega blob companies just so they can gain that extra coverage through the day or night when they themselves are in bed asleep, its a terrible system and one that needs to be worked on, it was shit in rust, its shit in ark and its shit in atlas.

We need a system that can protect player bases at the very least for a period of time that lets them sleep and does not force them into mega companies, and does not force them to have members stay awake 24/7 or take night shifts in the game their supposed to be having fun in just to make sure they don't get offline raided.

Dude they can't even get Wolf respawns right, what hope would they have with a vulnerability timer, what you are only safe from attack 25 seconds out of 24 hours because that is their mentatility.

Just now, Taiphoz said:

Any gameplay mechanic that punishes people for logging out is a bad gameplay mechanic and thats exactly what offline raiding does, it also forces players into mega blob companies just so they can gain that extra coverage through the day or night when they themselves are in bed asleep, its a terrible system and one that needs to be worked on, it was shit in rust, its shit in ark and its shit in atlas.

We need a system that can protect player bases at the very least for a period of time that lets them sleep and does not force them into mega companies, and does not force them to have members stay awake 24/7 or take night shifts in the game their supposed to be having fun in just to make sure they don't get offline raided.

No offense but in REAL sandbox MMOs you need to work with larger groups to survive.  The days of the one man nation are dead.  You want to make a massive Disney castle, then be prepared to defend it.   If you cant devote the time to defend it then you need to make friends who will help.  If you cant do that then you dont need to build it.  

It is like saving up 500k USD and buying a massive house, with every last cent of it, then complaining about the utility costs and the taxes on that house....  Well if you couldnt afford it dont get it.  

We have to remember this is a video game. Even with a company with 10-15 people not everyone is going to be on because thats just the nature of having responsibilities . A sandbox game isn't about punishing everyone unless the game creator intended that.  

We should have some form of offline protection for our items be its a window of time we set that cost say a certain amount of gold per hour or something along those lines. We shouldn't have to risk say 15-20 hours of work or resource gathering to lose it when we have to head to work. A video game should be entertainment not another job.

There is a form of offline protection with the ability to hire NPCs, arm them, put armor on them, and place them in gun emplacements and tell them what to shoot and what not to shoot.  

Nothing is perfect, but it is offline protection.

39 minutes ago, Hodo said:

No offense but in REAL sandbox MMOs you need to work with larger groups to survive

Aaah i see the no true scotchman fallacy right there.

So Eve is not a REAL sandbox MMO, neither is Ultima Online and many other fake sandboxes in gaming history.

Just now, LaiTash said:

Aaah i see the no true scotchman fallacy right there.

So Eve is not a REAL sandbox MMO, neither is Ultima Online and many other fake sandboxes in gaming history.

Eve is not a real sandbox... it is sandbox light.  UO was the first sandbox, and thus had some issues, but you could lose everything while offline pre-tramel.

Wurm Online.. someone could break into your stuff if they wanted to....

Even Mortal Online someone could destroy your stuff while you were offline, and that was a crap development team.

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Eve is not a real sandbox... it is sandbox light.  UO was the first sandbox, and thus had some issues, but you could lose everything while offline pre-tramel.

Wurm Online.. someone could break into your stuff if they wanted to....

Even Mortal Online someone could destroy your stuff while you were offline, and that was a crap development team.

Please don't try to reinvent the term. 

However don't you worry OP, even with offline protection they'll just glitch into yourbase and take you down with aimbots while outnumbering you 15 to 1. So ORP wouldn't help you really.