Sign in to follow this  
dallen5773

Map creation

I'm considering giving map creation a go and I was wondering if the seamless grid system requires an ocean/sky border around the grid to allow for transfer like this. I'm wanting to build an Earth inspired map that would have multi grid continents. I would like to allow for land to land transfers to link the continents together and am wondering if it's even possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by dallen5773

Well the game identifies by zones and distances.If the maps were joined i suppose you would have to simply create it as ONE zone.Sooner or later you would have to separate zones by yeah a zone lol.

Water zones,land zones .The thing that baffle me is i know the Unreal engine can assert zones via invisible separation but not having worked within the engine for over 15 years,i can't remember what would happen right at that 1 pixel spot you have an invisible texture mesh.I don't even know how much you can manipulate the maps/zone structures.We used to get every tool we needed,even a SIMPLE zone tool to create the zone properties and all the lighting properties as well.

Perhaps that blue curtain we see crossing zones is exactly what i am talking about,that 1 pixel thick invisible line but they simply use a visible texture and have the mesh as non solid to pass through it.

I would assume the water physics is part of the issues and why they did the game this way because i would have assumed the invisible texture to separate zones allowing a smooth procedural transfer between zones,similar to entering a water zone or distance/temp changes.Like we don't stop and phase into water,we simply walk in and notice no lag like we do crossing maps.Perhaps the lag with ships is the sheer volume that has to be drawn,all the objects on the ship when compared to a simple player walking into the water is les to draw.

SO for example a 1x2048 sheet with texture set as invisible  and non solid 1 pixel wide would separate areas to create a new zone.That way you could move  right across a zone and not even know it was there.So in that sense you could create a large land mass connecting to each other.So because i have been out of the loop so long or there are some restrictions i don't know about,i would think it is possible but having seen the actual grid program,i don't see a whole lot of good user friendly options  there lol.

Edited by zubov56

So imo yes it should be possible but perhaps not with tools we are given right now.Like i am 99.9% itis possible to what you are asking,create a large area of connected land.

Example,even though i have not touched the engine in many years,i could spark up the unreal engine and for 100% certain i could create a large mass of lan and still have separated zones with different zone properties within each.So i have no doubt at all,the engine would be even better by now,like MUCH better and easier to do something like this.it just has to be done in some format this program would recognize what you are doing.

Edited by zubov56

While technically possible, it wouldn't work to a satisfactory degree.

Each grid cell is a separate server instance. If you put an island "on the border" between two cells, it would only show up in one of them, and a large part of it would be inaccessible beyond the cell border.

You could circumvent that by placing the island on each side, but such an island wouldn't serve much utility since it would technically be two separate island of identical shape. Its intended two parts would exist in separate server instances.

Issue number three is how border travel goes. You leave a cell at the very edge, but you are deposited some distance away from it, so you'd have to offset the islands to compensate for that. Also ships traveling across water cells spawn at water level, but with islands, there's a risk of spawning in underground.