Sign in to follow this  
Notorious

Farming SOTD for gold?

So finally made a brig and she rocks 18 cannons full npcs crew 3 on sails and 11k weight packing 600 medium cannon balls and 150 large cannon balls. She is a beast and im happy.  Went large handle large speed and a large weight sail, and love that setup as i can turn and move and get into good position to kill. Loads of repair mtls also.

So I set sail tail take a few out added additional crew as I lvl up. Got tag teamed twice and won but took lots of damage and was super fun. Think i took out 6 or  7 in about 3 hours plus had to do repairs and hunt them down.

So my question is does everyone find the risk for reward is worth it? From what I gather it's just blueprints cause 30 gold is nothing but pays for half my crew for an hour.   I beat lvl 13 green was the largest SOTD so far. Are the red and yellow worth it? What kind of gold ya get cause 30 gold to risk my ship isn't really worth it to me.

Most fun I've had in a game also, the ship battle was epic and drained all of my energy and my crew. We literally went to bed after lol.

The consistent word from collective feedback is that fighting SOTD if you have a decent ship is fun, but rewards wise not worth it. The bp's are the only thing you get that isn't incidental.

We just launched our first ten gun schooner and did the same against a lvl 5.

It was epic!

I think you could turn a profit if you pick your targets accordingly. You'd have to have some high perks in captaincy to keep the cost down.

I'm thinking I wont level up my crew either to keep things cheap.

I thought the same, Built my SOTD killer Brig, Hired my 18 NPC's and went on the hunt.

Then after collecting less gold then I would sailing around in a sloop collecting floatsams, I knew then that my reward for killing SOTD was only the joy of seeing them blow up. Then reality set in knowing I have to farm tons of mats to repair my ship, feed my crew, and afterwards do treasure maps to then pay my crew!

All for a lame ass BP that you need to have 1,000 different mats from all over the game to even craft, let alone repair and also already have learned the skill.

Yes my friend, You soon learn that they are worthless and only a in game annoyance to avoid. The investment to hunt them isn't rewarding and the hassle you have to keep that option open far out weighs the fun in doing it.

EDIT: The EXP is nice for the ships to level up, So placing a make shift cannon platform to quickly level a ship is totally worth it if you don't like waiting on the slower EXP to build up for sailing.

Edited by Naviss

cant have it all, you get good ship part bps and NPCs from SotD. I think whale hunting and maps should be main source as it requires more effort to do.

1 minute ago, Bad News Bear said:

cant have it all, you get good ship part bps and NPCs from SotD. I think whale hunting and maps should be main source as it requires more effort to do.

I don't see the risk in hunting treasure, that's how I get my gold and it's crazy easy and if I can use my bear with swivel cannon it's even more of a joke. Easy money if you ask me. But a ship like a brig fully loaded that can be sunk with all your stuff on it seems like a big risk and should have a better reward.  Some good info above also, thank you all for your imput. Guess I'll use my brig for fun now and then cause that crew cost a lot of gold daily and already takes hours to feed and maintain.  Plus maintain the ship repairs lol like seriously its way more work then going for a treasure map.

what you are asking is a mob that have it all

in here ghost for ship bp and hight lvl npc

floatsam for building bp

treasure map for equipement bp and gold

alfa mob are xp and power resources

and resources are spread out to force people to move around

the more greedy you are more danger will you have (good pirate)

the game is not ment to be easy and is not a solo game eather

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mighty Zarkon said:

I'm thinking I wont level up my crew either to keep things cheap.

Leveling your crew has no effect on their cost.

• Like 1