Louis Blackblood

Bear breeding in the Tundra

So yesterday I finally got around to breeding. I did it a lot in ark and thought that maybe I would try it here. Bears being the obvious choice as we had 2 perfect tame 30's itching to get it on. I spent the 4 hour gestation making sure I had everything ready to go once the little balls of fur were shat out in our tames pen. I spent almost 6 hours with them making sure they weren't too cold/hot with campfires and penguins. They hit around 20% and I figured I could get at least 3 hours of sleep before work. I go to sleep with 4 fires still blazing next to them and hope for the best. I wake up and log on to find that both of them froze to death and my penguins glitched through the foundation. It sucks wasting so much time for something to not even have a chance. Oh well, I will try again.

Devs, if I could make a suggestion to breeding, make it to where once they hit juvenile that they get a fortitude buff so when the temps swing a little too high/low they don't die. I would love to no life this game but cant because I have to adult 😞

20190124002623_1.jpg

Edited by Louis Blackblood
Reupload of pic
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Louis Blackblood said:

So yesterday I finally got around to breeding. I did it a lot in ark and thought that maybe I would try it here. Bears being the obvious choice as we had 2 perfect tame 30's itching to get it on. I spent the 4 hour gestation making sure I had everything ready to go once the little balls of fur were shat out in our tames pen. I spent almost 6 hours with them making sure they weren't too cold/hot with campfires and penguins. They hit around 20% and I figured I could get at least 3 hours of sleep before work. I go to sleep with 4 fires still blazing next to them and hope for the best. I wake up and log on to find that both of them froze to death and my penguins glitched through the foundation. It sucks wasting so much time for something to not even have a chance. Oh well, I will try again.

Devs, if I could make a suggestion to breeding, make it to where once they hit juvenile that they get a fortitude buff so when the temps swing a little too high/low they don't die. I would love to no life this game but cant because I have to adult 😞

From reading other posts I've got bad news for you.  Penguins don't seem to affect tames.  That being said if you want to increase the insulation your gonna need some other things(and quite frankly I don't think it's worth it).  

Campfires are extremely inefficient for providing insulation.  Replace campfires with Grills or with Torches on wall hooks or use both.  They help increase the insulation a lot more. 

That being said, I still have no clue if any of that affects tames  the same as it does players right now because spending hours and hours monitoring the temperature during heatwave/cold waves is just not something I'm willing to do without having some way of maintaining things a bit better.

• Like 1

I have no problems trying things out while I have down time. Losing a baby at gen 1 isn't a huge deal so I can play around a bit trying different things to find something that works. But honestly I couldn't imagine trying to stay logged in the entire maturation or even leaving them with someone else in the company. A small change could mean the  difference between being able to breed and not. 

You need 2 or 3 players babysitting the small furball about 30 hours non-stop or it will just die. if you get alpha version it's worth the effort yeah, for normal bear - not really.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Sharana said:

You need 2 or 3 players babysitting the small furball about 30 hours non-stop or it will just die. if you get alpha version it's worth the effort yeah, for normal bear - not really.

Is this claiming we can tame alphas?  If so I'm gonna need a bigger pen and more beer for this shit.  

4 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

Is this claiming we can tame alphas?  If so I'm gonna need a bigger pen and more beer for this shit.  

Taming no. But if you are lucky your baby might be alpha.

pa4n3cduidc21.png

mt62w6ouidc21.png

Edited by Sharana
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sharana said:

That can't be intended lol.. but that's fucking awesome.

16 minutes ago, Sharana said:

pa4n3cduidc21.png

mt62w6ouidc21.png

Next time someone bitches TAMING UP QQ BUFF BEASTMASTERS we can fwd them to this.

31 minutes ago, Linix Blue said:

Is this real life? or Unofficial life?

It's official, not rl lol 😄 But that's either bug (which would be shame as it's obviously not worth it to care about animal non-stop for about 30 hours for simple ones you can just tame much faster) or really rare stuff. 

Edited by Sharana

12 minutes ago, Sharana said:

It's official, not rl lol 😄 But that's either bug (which would be shame as it's obviously not worth it to care about animal non-stop for about 30 hours for simple ones you can just tame much faster) or really rare stuff. 

Well, grats for sure. Hopefully its intended, would be really rewarding for the 30 hours then xD

While it's awesome you can get an alpha out of this, what's not awesome is I can't and wouldn't spend a 30-hour marathon playing this game to make that happen, even if it was 100% guaranteed to get me an alpha.  Which it isn't. And considering how glitchy this game is and how easy it is to lose your tames, to spend all that time only to have it disappear because "reasons" is so not worth it on any level. 

So OP, I sympathize, but the devs aren't listening to the players anymore if they ever were. They especially aren't listening to tamers. It's great if some of you can enjoy a system like this, but I'd almost rather use a melon baller on my own eyeballs than even give it a shot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sharana said:

pa4n3cduidc21.png

mt62w6ouidc21.png

My question is how many babies did it take you to get an alpha varient? and how good is it at full maturity and full imprint?

3 hours ago, Sharana said:

pa4n3cduidc21.png

mt62w6ouidc21.png

Next patchnotes are guaranteed to have "babies can no longer be alpha"

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, strawman said:

Next patchnotes are guaranteed to have "babies can no longer be alpha"

Probably gonna be more than one patch but your not wrong this is gonna get patched and their probably gonna kill all the babies that had the alpha buff that did survive.   

@Sharana Better use that thing while you can to get as much fiber/thatch as you can.

Dont bother with pumping your time to get alpha, you will lose your pet in some bug/glitch anyway.

I have lost 7 pets so far (lions/bears) - ALL died becouse of some kind of bugs (mostly related to boats). Not a single one from alpha or some pve encounter.

1 hour ago, Wolcu said:

Dont bother with pumping your time to get alpha, you will lose your pet in some bug/glitch anyway.

I have lost 7 pets so far (lions/bears) - ALL died becouse of some kind of bugs (mostly related to boats). Not a single one from alpha or some pve encounter.

Ive lost a few tames. Mostly getting clipped into an alpha and not being able to run when on my lower level bears. The patch making pets take 50% reduced damage made it to where I can fight alphas no problem though. Ive only lost 2 pets to a boat so I cant really complain

5 hours ago, Sharana said:

pa4n3cduidc21.png

mt62w6ouidc21.png

This makes me want to figure out a better way to breed them and not lose them when I want to sleep for a whole 3 hours haha pretty crazy.

I still think the devs should look into breeding. Im sure its not very high up on the priority list of things that should be fixed/tweaked.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, Sharana said:

pa4n3cduidc21.png

mt62w6ouidc21.png

Sharana, are these your photos and a bear you personally bred and if not, where did you acquire the photos?  Difficult to believe that this is an 'official' game mechanic as the slim chance of getting an alpha and the overwhelming advantage those with alpha bear cannons would have over those without seems almost game breaking. Just curious as to the actual credibility of the posted photos and details surrounding where the photos came from and on what world server. 

Edited by Itsme

47 minutes ago, Itsme said:

Sharana, are these your photos and a bear you personally bred and if not, where did you acquire the photos?  Difficult to believe that this is an 'official' game mechanic as the slim chance of getting an alpha and the overwhelming advantage those with alpha bear cannons would have over those without seems almost game breaking. Just curious as to the actual credibility of the posted photos and details surrounding where the photos came from and on what world server. 

Photo is from reddit - NA PVE. But that's not the only alpha bear, just 1st time someone posted screenshot. Also people did experiments on private servers. About 2% chance it looks like for the baby to be alpha.

42 minutes ago, Sharana said:

Photo is from reddit - NA PVE. But that's not the only alpha bear, just 1st time someone posted screenshot. Also people did experiments on private servers. About 2% chance it looks like for the baby to be alpha.

I am still wondering if this is intended... if so then it would certainly make beastmastery and breeding a viable option.  I suspect, however, that this is not intended as the devs have already stated a few times that they dont want this game to be about taming.  It seems they would prefer swarms of naked savages shooting fire arrows into terrible AI NPCs that cant figure out they are stuck in terrain.

42 minutes ago, Bastian Auryn said:

I am still wondering if this is intended... if so then it would certainly make beastmastery and breeding a viable option.  I suspect, however, that this is not intended as the devs have already stated a few times that they dont want this game to be about taming. 

Breeding is not really taming, different activities. Easy to tame, really hard to breed as the non stop care requires more then 1 person unless someone wants to end up in hospital.

As far as balance goes - there is damn dragon and they will add the cyclops, fire elementals and the rest of the bullshit. Player owned alpha is like nothing compared to that. Yes it's permanent, but it also dies a lot easier then the other mentioned super creatures and is pain in the ass to grow.

Edited by Sharana

1 hour ago, Sharana said:

Thanks for replying. I found the thread and this makes a bit more sense to me. A very random chance for an alpha offspring in PVE would not be that huge of a deal whereas a slight chance for an alpha offspring in PVP could greatly offset the balance and would be just another asinine decision toward game suicide by the developers. Would love to hear an official response from a GM or Dev as to whether an alpha offspring in breeding is a possibility on PVP servers though..... 

Edited by Itsme