xenobiaa

Stone cost controversy poll.

Poll on the new stone structure controversy.  

321 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the new change to stone structure cost?

• It needs to be changed back to what the cost originally was!
    • I dont really care, the cost doesn't affect me at all.
    • I think its fine the way it is.

4 hours ago, AtlasRyan said:

The metal and paste cost is too high imo. I’m ok with them requiring metal and paste but damn that’s a lot of metal and paste per wall. 

Yeah I actually think the paste is sorta smart since why would you ever use fiber? in a stone wall? It's good If they can make sap more readily available for people. but the metal makes no sense. It's not like its a modern concrete wall with rebar in it. Only the gates/doors should really need metal for the locks and hinges.

There have been stone walls that use nothing but stone. Most people think of common masonry and cement technologies.... but back then, there were plenty of stone buildings made without mortars or plasters..... and definitely without wood and thatch.

No, these are just arbitrary changes made "just because."

I f they are adding additional resources to make the stone, they should also make the needed resourced more readily available. This game is already a heavy grind, and it is getting to the point of not even wanting to log in and play anymore. Might just go back to ARK...

• Like 1

9 out of 10 people want it back the way it was.  That's a settled topic.  Only question is, will the Devs listen?  I don't think the Devs and most players are in alignment on what they want the game to be.  I think the Devs are looking for the game to be super grindy...every last aspect of the game a life and death struggle.  I don't think that's what most people were looking for when the came to this game.  For them, the game can be fun, but only on unofficial, with mods and rates/settings adjustments.  The problem this game is going to have with that is that unlike with ARK, people think they are going to end up with a lesser experience, because the Official map is so large, but the unofficial maps are so much smaller.  I have talked to many who did not realize that you can play on a 5x5 like we are.  But even then, some think that is going to cause the game to feel like something less.  I would ask...once you find a home island, just how often do you actually travel more than a few grids away?  And if you do travel that far...why?  Likely because there was something there that you needed...but if it were closer, would you have traveled as far?  Likely not.   I assure you that a 5x5 feels quite large.

Hopefully,  the mod community really shows up in force for this game, and makes some actual game content to go with the game.  Maybe some adventures, quests, etc..

• Like 1

I remember someone in the dev team saying that they intended to favor defenders in pvp, that's not how you do it. It's crazy cheap to open any base now and insanely expensive to build.

They don't listen.

There was a poll on the age mechanic where there was a landslide for it to be removed, and they just completely ignored it.

They don't care about the game you want, they just want to make the game they want, no matter the cost.

Maybe if the DEVS could at least explain their actions on this, and how this is going to benefit the game in the long term. As this step can only benefit MEGA Tribes who have the vast number of farmers available. Everyone else, especially those of us who work for a living, and are limited to a few hours a night, are now condemned to a life of constant farming just to make a small base. Where is the fun for us in all this.
Its bad enough that I cant have defenses for my base like spiked walls, traps etc, but now I cant even build the base.

Edited by Critor
  • Like 1

My guess is the new crab gets metal, with it's ability to leap very high it should be a great way to climb up and hit nodes that are on the higher peaks in some islands.  The submarine gets Coral (under the water you can dive for it now and E it with your hands) which is a 1 to 3 coral to Org paste convert.  Sort of premature on the pull to make more expensive stone but the huge builds are lagging the servers already so I can't blame them.

Edited by Elric Melnibone

The problem is the Organic paste. If u live in the cold areas u are already in need of paste as u use it for fur armor.. lots of it to be honest. U cant even farm the Sap down there. So please fix this. Make it cost 100 metal i dont care, just dont make it cost Organic paste as there is no sap in the cold areas.. 

• Like 2

Make another tier of buildings...something really expensive that should be saved for "vaults", something the cheating chinese can send their naked 30 minions at with hatchets

another Option make two types regular stone as it is now with the weaker and pull the paste and metal from it, add Reinforced Stone (another tier) and add in the paste and metal and this stone takes much less damage from cannons etc... makes it better vs the wood which makes zero sense because a cannon ball would scatter wood, stone should be much stronger then wood any day of the weak, devs DIFF need to rethink this because the logic does not make any sense at all. Rather then nerf and make stuff cost more, give us more options versions. Could even do this to wood - Reinforced Wood, regular Ship planks - reinforced planks this would be a good alter to what was introduced into the game and i figure most would justify the cost IF it was reinforced and had better stats on it and abilities etc.... food for thought?

I didn't vote. i sort of feel like (for the critter resistance stone offers) maybe it should use some metal. the paste is annoying because of geography. I kind of understand why they made the change. But primarily i feel:

it requires WAY too much organic paste and too much metal. if the stone walls took like 5 paste that's one thing, but 32 is way too much for a substance not available in most places.

I play PVE so i don't factor the PVP cannons-breaking-stone part of it.

I've just been playing the game and taking whatever the patches shoot at me. Not even reading the patch notes most of the time. Logged on to do some building in the polar region... so you know why I'm here. I made an account just to vote on this poll. Who knows maybe I'll be active here to make sure my voice is heard on their horrible ideas like this one.

It doesn't affect me personally all that much because I play PvE, but if my brethren in PvP are upset about it I stand with them.

44 minutes ago, Murreth said:

It doesn't affect me personally all that much because I play PvE, but if my brethren in PvP are upset about it I stand with them.

I don't see how. I play PvE and it definitely affects me and my crew. Alpha creatures can and will destroy wood. Stone they cannot. And yet, stone is now almost impossible to make if you don't have metal reasonably close, same with sugars.

Edited by LoneSilverWolf
Clarification
  • Like 1

To all the streamers..... stream about this patch and why no one should waste their time and money on this game. The only way they will change it, is if they are hit directly in the pocket book when every google and youtube search result tells people DO NOT BUY!!!!

Then and ONLY THEN will the company pay attention. That's what I am doing now.

• Like 3

In fact, if nothing is done in a couple of days, I am going to start contacting investors and gaming news outlets.... 

The way I see it right now is that stone structures are the metal tier from ARK. Stone structures should be very expensive as they are now AS LONG AS they are strong enough to justify the cost. Currently, they are not strong enough in PvP. The only things that should be able to damage stone structures are war tames (maybe rhino and upcoming crab?) and explosives. Explosives can include grenades, canister shot, spike shot, mortar shot and any future type of exploding cannonball. If you are strong enough to have a base made of stone in it should take preparation and planning to raid, even when defenders are offline just like metal (and later, Tek) bases were in ARK. 

I play Atlas on PvE official servers and have my base in a very hostile area complete with lions, wolves, cobras, rattlesnakes, crocs, and vultures. Our base is built on pillars just off the island and constantly gets attacked by cobras and crocs. Getting attacked is a large portion of the fun. Repelling those attacks and repairing before things go totally wrong is an exciting way to break up the normal grind associated with this game. The entire base is made of wood, in large part because of the changes that were made to the cost of stone structures. I do not feel cheated out of a stone fortress but I do feel really bad for the people on PvP servers were offline raiding can easily happen with a couple of pickaxes. Stone vs metal pickaxe should be 1 damage per hit and stone should be buffed to have 100,000 HP and take increased damage from explosives vs conventional ammo. Blowing a hole in a wall with 2 dozen grenades to steal some stuff, I like. Broadsiding someone's beach fortress once with a galleon and reducing it to rubble, I don't like (unless they were using my proposed explosive shells instead of standard cannonballs.) Also, to be clear, explosive rounds are already more expensive than standard rounds in regards to the canister shot vs grapeshot in the swivel gun but to have what I am suggesting work, the price of explosive ammo would need to jump significantly. Having the cost per shot in metal, fire gel, and blasting powder increase would significantly help with this. 

Currently, the cost vs benefit of stone vs wood just isn't there. Large amounts of rebalancing as I suggest here are going to need to be considered for the long term health of the game. Increasing the cost without also increasing the benefit to appeal as an "end game" base building material has alienated parts of the community. Sure, but it is important to remember that the game is in early access and things like this can be fixed to improve the long term health of the community. 

PS: Just wanted to say that I copied this from another thread I replied to about stone structures costing too much. This is my response, not someone else's in case that isn't clear. I thought that putting this idea in front of as many people as possible could help with the idea I am proposing. 

What the devs did doesn't make sense but could easily be changed to make a ton more sense as the game goes forward. Simple changes could change community opinion of stone structures from "expensive" to "investment".

Edited by Dazlarus
Why the ef did that triple post?!

1 hour ago, LoneSilverWolf said:

I don't see how. I play PvE and it definitely affects me and my crew. Alpha creatures can and will destroy wood. Stone they cannot. And yet, stone is now almost impossible to make if you don't have metal reasonably close, same with sugars.

CJVA0gK.png

Yes because we really want to sail for hours to reach the nearest island that offers us any kind of sap option just to create the paste needed to make stone structures.   Then sail back for hours to get home, only to have to turn around and sail back again for more sap.

Let alone go for metal, with how much it weighs we can only bring back so much.

Bad enough we already lost three ships due to zoning into a grid and running smack into ships of the damned that started pelting us before we even fully loaded in.

Edited by Taiine

A half arsed reduction was not enough, put it back to how it was before simple as that. It's supposed to be a sailing game not fucking Farmville.

I wish there was a way to divide the game into two categories.  One for pvp and one for pve.

I DO NOT want a repeat of ARK, so I was happy with the stone structures being very hard to destroy.  I do not want to protect bases.  I want to fight in ships...at sea.  This game may not be for me because it seems the Devs want the fighting on land, over bases.

I understand there are too many bases....big bases.  That can be fixed with structure limits...for companies.  That also helps deal with the Megas.  Every person on a Mega doesn't need a big base.  Megas don't need a base on every island.  Megas would have to manage their people, and their structures.  Ships, and structures on ships should not count against the structure limit.  If they become a problem for lag, make a separate structure limit for them also.  Would add some strategy into the game, instead of who has the most people to farm, in order to build the most monstrous bases, and ships with the most cannons and walls on them.

Biggest problem with this thread is assuming the devs even know where these forums are