Sign in to follow this  
totrider

Severe lag when using map+compass, treasure maps or getting the sextant buff

Description of issue:

Since I started playing the game, anytime I press M to look at my map and compass, my frame-rate will drop from ~40 Fps down to ~15. If the game is already running at lower Fps, the effects gets even worse. Furthermore, the lag also appears when I look at treasure maps or when I get the sextant buff. I have asked around within our company, and I am not the only one experiencing this issues, so something needs to be fixed asap. as it is making these utilities a hazard and chore to use. Sometimes, we have noticed that the Fps drop persists even after you stop looking at your handheld map, which can then be fixed by re-opening the map and closing it again.

The severity of the Fps drop seems to vary, so some of our people simply didn't notice that they lost ~10 Fps whenever they looked at a map (going from ~50 to ~40). My guess is that the drop is also tied to how your settings are set up, as well as your hardware. This case, I think I remember him saying that he was playing entirely without shadows.

Repro:

open world map, treasure map or apply sextant buff

EDIT: I have attached a dxdiag since i will be upgrading my system soon. Though i am certain this is a game programming caused bug.
EDIT 2: I have just installed my new hardware and did a quick test. Sure enough, my performance is a lot better, but taking out the compass still drops my fps from ~60 to around ~30 when looking out at the ocean.

DxDiag.txt

DxDiag2.txt

Edited by totrider

I have new findings. If i switch to the ATLAS tab while holding e.g. the world map or a treasure map. The lag goes away. If i unequip and re-equip the world map or a treasure map, the lag returns.