mgsgta3

Atlas=MegaTribe SuperBowl/filler before Ark 2

This is copied from a comment i made in some other post. Decided to post on its own to get thoughts on it.

O
kay heres how I see Atlas currently(which is much different than I saw it before release). It is merely the Super Bowl Of Mega tribes. If you're on official and you're not a mega-tribe, then you're the cleveland browns and the commisioner(grapeshot) doesnt give a damn about you. Sure the patriots stomp all over you with their half inflated balls(though they could do it without exploits, annoyingly they just don't though lol) and theirs no chance for you to even make playoffs but again, comish doesn't give a damn about you.  If you want to be in the playoffs or to have your chance at winning the championship you can either join the patriots, or go play for the XFL or some other amateur league(Unofficial). The second one is what I do and its great, higher rates so less bs, and many unofficials have MASSIVE maps.
I truly dont think grapeshot intends fo rthis to be bigger or as big as Ark. Arks their baby. Ark 2 is for sure going to happen, and waiting too long would be unwise and they know this, guaranteed. So Atlas is..an intermission. The super bowl before the off-season (when Ark 2 begins taking shape). Hell, for all we know they could be half working on Ark 2 and spending the other half their time fiddling with atlas since most content and additions are reskins or things that are not time consuming. What're the Ark level designers doing this whole time? Not working on Atlas, thats for sure since it's Proc-Generated.

Atlas is a progression away from PvE on Ark towards their core PvP audience, which always has been Mega-Tribes and large-scale PvP. The game is not designed with or for solo or small groups. It was designed and sold as a game for larger groups. Of course this game will not be larger then Ark. It has two main deficiencies. One, it does not cater to a wide stretch of communities like Ark did. It does not support mods and unofficials like Ark did. 

On 1/24/2019 at 10:06 AM, Implicitlee said:

Don't knock the Patriots.

Patriots are my favorite team.

I don't give a Flying F about the NFL until they let Kaepernick play again, or he is set for life after he wins the lawsuit  😄

• Like 1

Eh I half ass watch the super bowl every year, thats about it lol No point in watching it this year though, Already know whats gonna happen.

1 minute ago, Hambo said:

I don't give a Flying F about the NFL until they let Kaepernick play again, or he is set for life after he wins the lawsuit  😄

15 minutes ago, Hambo said:

Honestly, football in general is the original RNG game.  I haven't been into a particular team in ages because I had the realization that teams change every season so who are we rooting for? The mascot? The jerseys?  The general manager IF they dont get fired?

Also, politics do not belong in games... Kaepernick should have used a different stage to protest... imho.

Edited by Dorf

On 1/24/2019 at 7:42 PM, Ellentro said:

It was designed and sold as a game for larger groups.

I don't know how it was designed but it was never sold to me as a game for larger groups only.

The idea was "large groups control the land, smaller ones and solo players use that land and pay taxes and everyone's happy". That design is obviously flawed as it doesn't take one simple fact into account - MMO players are jerks and will go to great lenghts just to ruin each others day if you let them do this. There is nothing you as a developer can do to change that mentality. Still the intention was NOT to make a game only for mega companies.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LaiTash said:

I don't know how it was designed but it was never sold to me as a game for larger groups only.

The idea was "large groups control the land, smaller ones and solo players use that land and pay taxes and everyone's happy". That design is obviously flawed as it doesn't take one simple fact into account - MMO players are jerks and will go to great lenghts just to ruin each others day if you let them do this. There is nothing you as a developer can do to change that mentality. Still the intention was NOT to make a game only for mega companies.

I had the same exact impression you did...until the ability point nerfs happened. Its the way i wish atlas was but...You know, you just gave me an idea....What if, your total occupant/citizen population(aka taxable players not in company but under your rule) dictated things like claim/unclaim times? thatd set off a race to make the most accomodating settlements for citizens among megas maybe?(with some more similar-minded incentives) Because if other companies are better accomodated then the peasants will leave.

14 hours ago, Dorf said:

Honestly, football in general is the original RNG game.  I haven't been into a particular team in ages because I had the realization that teams change every season so who are we rooting for? The mascot? The jerseys?  The general manager IF they dont get fired?

Also, politics do not belong in games... Kaepernick should have used a different stage to protest... imho.

RIGHT?! I never understood maintaining one favorite team. I just go with the meta(usually the patriots). I live in Cowboys country and every year they are so hopeful and like "this is the year" and its funny because I know its not but also makes me think "whyyyy do these people hang on? those glory days were 20 years ago" lol.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 9:57 AM, mgsgta3 said:

This is copied from a comment i made in some other post. Decided to post on its own to get thoughts on it.

O
kay heres how I see Atlas currently(which is much different than I saw it before release). It is merely the Super Bowl Of Mega tribes. If you're on official and you're not a mega-tribe, then you're the cleveland browns and the commisioner(grapeshot) doesnt give a damn about you. Sure the patriots stomp all over you with their half inflated balls(though they could do it without exploits, annoyingly they just don't though lol) and theirs no chance for you to even make playoffs but again, comish doesn't give a damn about you.  If you want to be in the playoffs or to have your chance at winning the championship you can either join the patriots, or go play for the XFL or some other amateur league(Unofficial). The second one is what I do and its great, higher rates so less bs, and many unofficials have MASSIVE maps.
I truly dont think grapeshot intends fo rthis to be bigger or as big as Ark. Arks their baby. Ark 2 is for sure going to happen, and waiting too long would be unwise and they know this, guaranteed. So Atlas is..an intermission. The super bowl before the off-season (when Ark 2 begins taking shape). Hell, for all we know they could be half working on Ark 2 and spending the other half their time fiddling with atlas since most content and additions are reskins or things that are not time consuming. What're the Ark level designers doing this whole time? Not working on Atlas, thats for sure since it's Proc-Generated.

Sorry I don’t follow hockey.

• Like 1