Sign in to follow this  
Drogith

Another patch, another breeding mishap... 3 dead bears

Well... it happened again during the rapid fire patching of last night. We developed a way to raise animals in the Tundra region. How to keep the babies warm, how to boost their cold resistance... hell, we even have a way to cool them off during a heat wave, because like my kids in real life... these babies are fussy. So last night, in the middle of a series of patches, with no cold front and torches blazing... we lost 3 baby cubs to hypothermia. Prior to the patch, they were 100% okay, after the patch was a different story.

This has been an exhausting endeavor as people have stayed up through the night trying to keep these guys alive and several other baby bears in the past... We thought we had it this time... and we did... but the update hurt BAD. I know some of the folks in my company want to dive into breeding and learn everything there is to breeding in cold climates, but with the randomness and fickleness of the server and of the cubs...

Devs, this may be a low priority, but can you please look into the breeding numbers? It's kind of depressing after you put in so much work.

Dying baby bears.jpg

hi ! do u mind to share the way to cool them down? i tryed to get water bucket them but didnt worked :c i was able to get 1 baby bear successfully to the end of the breeding but sadly from 2 bears only the lowlevel survived aka lvl 19 the maturation >_< we getting some hard heatwaves on a island that has normaly 15-18°C goes up to 33 ...

1 hour ago, Filala said:

hi ! do u mind to share the way to cool them down? i tryed to get water bucket them but didnt worked :c i was able to get 1 baby bear successfully to the end of the breeding but sadly from 2 bears only the lowlevel survived aka lvl 19 the maturation >_< we getting some hard heatwaves on a island that has normaly 15-18°C goes up to 33 ...

This.

Yeah we lost many baby bears as well but only to too hot temperatures, it seems the older they get the more damage they get from too hot temperatures, and just die in the end around 10-15%
I heard something about using penguins or parrots, but I thought parrots parrots only work on shoulder, but wiki doesnt say if parrots cool down or heat up, also penguins are supposed to only make things warmer? So if you don't mind sharing Drogith, could you tell us please how to cool bears of?

5 hours ago, Aery said:

This.

Yeah we lost many baby bears as well but only to too hot temperatures, it seems the older they get the more damage they get from too hot temperatures, and just die in the end around 10-15%
I heard something about using penguins or parrots, but I thought parrots parrots only work on shoulder, but wiki doesnt say if parrots cool down or heat up, also penguins are supposed to only make things warmer? So if you don't mind sharing Drogith, could you tell us please how to cool bears of?

Parrots give both types of insulation when shoulder mounted. Penguins only give insulation from cold, but also do not require you to grab them (however, the closer to the penguin you are, the more insulation they provide. They provide 0 insulation once you are ~6 ft away.)

From what  I have heard you can bring animals to the water or splash them with buckets of water to cool them off. However, since fires can easily keep them warm and dousing them in water only helps so much - it's far easier to just move to the tundra and breed there, as it doesn't get as hot.

Breeding in this game needs a major overhaul, or at least some number tweaks in the meantime to make it doable.

Edited by Bisbois

10 hours ago, Filala said:

Build your enclosure so that it has access to the ocean, when the bear gets to hot, have it follow you into the water to cool off, then bring it back inside. Alternatively, Use torches for heat instead of a fire. We had a cub light itself up a few weeks ago because it wondered too close to the fire. Torches will not do that and you can turn them on/off as needed for heat/cold.

8 hours ago, Aery said:

This.

Penguins help with cold resistance without heating up the area, so they won't make you cubs overheat and will protect from some of the cold. Their radius is super small though so in the arctic/tundra climates it doesn't really help with cold snaps.

2 hours ago, Bisbois said:

From what  I have heard you can bring animals to the water or splash them with buckets of water to cool them off. However, since fires can easily keep them warm and dousing them in water only helps so much - it's far easier to just move to the tundra and breed there, as it doesn't get as hot.

Yes and no. A heat wave will still kill your cub in the tundra. That's why we added the swimming pool in the breeding pen.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Drogith said:

Well... it happened again during the rapid fire patching of last night. We developed a way to raise animals in the Tundra region. How to keep the babies warm, how to boost their cold resistance... hell, we even have a way to cool them off during a heat wave, because like my kids in real life... these babies are fussy. So last night, in the middle of a series of patches, with no cold front and torches blazing... we lost 3 baby cubs to hypothermia. Prior to the patch, they were 100% okay, after the patch was a different story.

This has been an exhausting endeavor as people have stayed up through the night trying to keep these guys alive and several other baby bears in the past... We thought we had it this time... and we did... but the update hurt BAD. I know some of the folks in my company want to dive into breeding and learn everything there is to breeding in cold climates, but with the randomness and fickleness of the server and of the cubs...

Devs, this may be a low priority, but can you please look into the breeding numbers? It's kind of depressing after you put in so much work.

Dying baby bears.jpg

That sucks man. They actually looked really cool. I always took it hard when my tames died in ark.

makes for a really 💩 story time too.  The 3 dead bears would be way worse the 3 bears. Smh

2 hours ago, Drogith said:

Build your enclosure so that it has access to the ocean, when the bear gets to hot, have it follow you into the water to cool off, then bring it back inside. Alternatively, Use torches for heat instead of a fire. We had a cub light itself up a few weeks ago because it wondered too close to the fire. Torches will not do that and you can turn them on/off as needed for heat/cold. 

hmmn did they patch this in? we tested it a while back with horses, pushed them into Water and evendid try waterbuckets, it didnt cool them off.
we will try this again on the next breed, thanks alot for the info.

Thanks for the tips, but I saw in many youtube video comments that water buckets and dipping them into waterbodies doesnt work anymore, can anyone tell me which is true please? We built our mainbase in temperate, thinking it was perfect for breeding bears, but now it seems we will have to move to tundra, just want to be sure if the water trick really works and has not been patched up. This game is almost unbreed-able >.<

Also can you also please explain more about parrots? It is my understanding atm that they only insulate the player and not a baby animal?

Edited by Aery

I wonder why it is necessary to make the complex system of breeding and taming even worse? Why can not the mechanics be taken over from ARK 1:1? These developers manage to change existing ARK mechanics to make them worse than they already are. They just make shit in the last few weeks ...

5 hours ago, Aery said:

Thanks for the tips, but I saw in many youtube video comments that water buckets and dipping them into waterbodies doesnt work anymore, can anyone tell me which is true please? We built our mainbase in temperate, thinking it was perfect for breeding bears, but now it seems we will have to move to tundra, just want to be sure if the water trick really works and has not been patched up. This game is almost unbreed-able >.<

Also can you also please explain more about parrots? It is my understanding atm that they only insulate the player and not a baby animal?

since one of my breeding survived and i did this 48hour torture with just fireplaces i want to share my experience, maybe someone can find some usefull information in this http://prntscr.com/mc1jbo

TDLR: for cooling down i found out that on a certain level of high, the temprature jumps 5°C down, so if u dont want to leave ur island and it has kinda hotish weather, u have to build a lift /tower far up.  :x On the mountain i was breeding, it was normaly around 6-12°C, meanwhile on ground 16-22°C , on a heatwave the temprature even went up on the mountain to over 20°C, wich was death sentance on one of my cubs :c so i will build a tower on this mountain to have another 5°C less temprature.

PS: i know my english is horrible xD

Edited by Filala
  • Thanks 1

I dont think they are focused on breeding yet.  Its time will come.

People doing it now are trying to get ahead of the game cause they love breeding for high number critters.

9 hours ago, Filala said:

since one of my breeding survived and i did this 48hour torture with just fireplaces i want to share my experience, maybe someone can find some usefull information in this http://prntscr.com/mc1jbo

TDLR: for cooling down i found out that on a certain level of high, the temprature jumps 5°C down, so if u dont want to leave ur island and it has kinda hotish weather, u have to build a lift /tower far up.  :x On the mountain i was breeding, it was normaly around 6-12°C, meanwhile on ground 16-22°C , on a heatwave the temprature even went up on the mountain to over 20°C, wich was death sentance on one of my cubs :c so i will build a tower on this mountain to have another 5°C less temprature.

PS: i know my english is horrible xD

OMG You have given me so much hope now, I had no clue elevation meant temperature changes in atlas, thank you so SO much for this!!!

Drogith i got a quick question about ur cooling in the water method, someone tested yesterday to cool some baby bears at the beach  and it didnt effected them and i tested it aswell once with a baby horse few weeks ago and he still had the palm icon over his head... 

SO the question is: is the water where u use to cool the babys down fresh water?

Aery no problem! hope it will help u 😄

Edited by Filala

5 hours ago, Filala said:

Drogith i got a quick question about ur cooling in the water method, someone tested yesterday to cool some baby bears at the beach  and it didnt effected them and i tested it aswell once with a baby horse few weeks ago and he still had the palm icon over his head... 

SO the question is: is the water where u use to cool the babys down fresh water?

Aery no problem! hope it will help u 😄

I am devastated, I don't know if you trolled me purposely or got wrong info ( that u never tested urself ), but the altitude temperature thing is nonsence. Not a single spot on any of the hundreds of meters of giant pillar cliffs on our island have temperature changes in high altitudes 😡

On 1/25/2019 at 2:18 AM, Drogith said:

Build your enclosure so that it has access to the ocean, when the bear gets to hot, have it follow you into the water to cool off, then bring it back inside.

A couple of weeks ago, this method did not help us save our baby bear. It was +24 degrees, the bear was sitting in the water and did not react to cooling. As a result, he died from overheating right before my eyes :( It turns out that this situation was fixed?

16 hours ago, Aery said:

I am devastated, I don't know if you trolled me purposely or got wrong info ( that u never tested urself ), but the altitude temperature thing is nonsence. Not a single spot on any of the hundreds of meters of giant pillar cliffs on our island have temperature changes in high altitudes 😡

Aery i use this method on my breeding station like i said we got on ground 16+ temprature and on the mountain i had 6+ , will just jump ingame quick to give u some prove screenshots  nr 1 on the edge of the temprature jump  https://prnt.sc/mcqzxg and nr2 after the edge of temprature jump https://prnt.sc/mcr003 fact is that im not trolling and on a certain level the temprature jumps down but keep in mind they constantly patching and im living on an mountain not sure if they made it as an indicator😕

Feels like they changed the temprature calculation, because on different day /temp the jump goes smaller or bigger!

Edited by Filala

1 hour ago, Filala said:

Aery i use this method on my breeding station like i said we got on ground 16+ temprature and on the mountain i had 6+ , will just jump ingame quick to give u some prove screenshots  nr 1 on the edge of the temprature jump  https://prnt.sc/mcqzxg and nr2 after the edge of temprature jump https://prnt.sc/mcr003 fact is that im not trolling and on a certain level the temprature jumps down but keep in mind they constantly patching and im living on an mountain not sure if they made it as an indicator😕

Feels like they changed the temprature calculation, because on different day /temp the jump goes smaller or bigger!

I don't know....me and my tribe climbed hundreds of meters above the ground, we climbed several cliffs on our island, and even the highest one, that where so high, you could see the whole island from them, they were even so high that all the ground bases rendered out and animals on the ground as well, the render distance was probably even 3x fold. No temperature change was visible when we pressed H, we had people on the ground and on the cliff at the same time, seeing exact same temperature with no difference at all...to maybe better understand how high we climbed, we used 4 full climbing pickaxes each to get to the highest parts..we did managed to find godly amounts of pure iron spawns ( which on ground have been destroyed by greedy selfish mega tribes, gating them in, unaccessable to others), but the joke is on us, cause we cant build elevator/ladder at such high altitudes to get the metal down 😕
Anyways this is where breeding ends for us, until the devs make it more managable, they didnt even include breeding/maturing 2x in this event, its like they just don't care about breeders at all...non native animals, and sometimes native always falling through platforms and floors and foundations, even on ships, get eaten by mantas and sharks, and this issue has been reported for weeks and weeks, and devs just don't care, might as well go back to ark or something else for the time being..

Thanks for the screenshots thought, but maybe it only works on freeports ( which cant be built on, and ships decay so fast, u gotta get out of it asap), or mountains that are more natural looking and not giant cliffs sticking out of the ground.

Edited by Aery

25 minutes ago, Aery said:

I don't know....me and my tribe climbed hundreds of meters above the ground, we climbed several cliffs on our island, and even the highest one, that where so high, you could the whole island from them, they were even so high that all the ground bases rendered out and animals on the ground as well, the render distance was probably even 3x fold. No temperature change was visible when we pressed H, we had people on the ground and on the cliff at the same time, seeing exact same temperature with no difference at all...to maybe better understand how high we climbed, we used 4 full climbing pickaxes each to get to the highest parts..we did managed to find godly amounts of pure iron spawns ( which on ground have been destroyed by greedy selfish mega tribes, gating them in, unaccessable to others), but the joke is on us, cause we cant build elevator/ladder at such high altitudes to get the metal down 😕
Anyways this is where breeding ends for us, until the devs make it more managable, they didnt even include breeding/maturing 2x in this event, its like they just don't care about breeders at all...non native animals, and sometimes native always falling through platforms and floors and foundations, even on ships, get eaten by mantas and sharks, and this issue has been reported for weeks and weeks, and devs just don't care, might as well go back to ark or something else for the time being..

Thanks for the screenshots thought, but maybe it only works on freeports ( which cant be built on, and ships decay so fast, u gotta get out of it asap), or mountains that are more natural looking and not giant cliffs sticking out of the ground.

i know ur fustration... feels like they dont care about breeders... btw on my screenshot u can see i am on C4 , there is no freeport on C4 😞 i was happy to find somthing out to have a chance to breed the bears and wanted to share this , didnt tought there is so much difference in each grid, we used like 72 elevator pieces to reach that mountain top >_< (might edit later a screenshot from it if i get a good angle + no defence reveal)

Edited by Filala

We were 64-66% maturation when we lost our cubs to heatwave, last ditch effort to cool was ocean swimming which worked for a short time and their life regen'd but then all hell broke loose and they went from 250+ life to 0 in less then a minute.

Has anyone had any luck breeding bears in the arctic/polar regions? 

They just need to make it so the mom needs to be nearby and there is food available.  Like the mom gives the babies a temp resistance buff.  Like ACs did on ark.  

This whole temperature moderation is seriously stupid.  I wouldn't bother breeding until it's fixed 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 6:14 AM, Lox said:

Has anyone had any luck breeding bears in the arctic/polar regions? 

You cannot currently breed bears in Polar:

All the test information and proof is provided in this reddit post. Tundra is the closest region for bears, and seemingly any other tame Tundra wants.

Tundra: The ideal breeding territory causing disparity with the rest of the world.

Edited by Teach

7 minutes ago, MrHeid said:

They just need to make it so the mom needs to be nearby and there is food available.  Like the mom gives the babies a temp resistance buff.  Like ACs did on ark.  

This whole temperature moderation is seriously stupid.  I wouldn't bother breeding until it's fixed 

Either increase the baby time and make it automatic or scrap breeding entirely. 

Bears are easier because they get increased carry weight as some time goes past.  Have you tried chickens?  IT IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE.