Implicitlee

Stone Crafting Materials REALLY

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Its okay I dont have coral either and I live in a temperate zone.. I looked.. I have Jute, and pearls... 

I got... 

Ya know, even if I had coral I'd still be willing to slap a diving rig on the lil sloop and go harvesting.  Even that would be a change from beating on rocks and trees and I'd still have to spend a lot of points to compensate for the freezing cold waters.  Even then, I MIGHT be more understanding about this change even though the metal requirements would also severely slow down any building projects.  But it would be doable.

The only reason I have not uninstalled as a result of this patch is because 95% of my base is complete and the next planned expansion can easily be wood as it would be inside stone walls.  That doesn't negate the fact that this was a stupid idea.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

1 minute ago, Spiritwind said:

idk man, our group knows to honeycomb bases, but 90% of the bases we have raided have been pretty large but we only needed to blow one or two walls down to have access to their entire base.  Blowing two walls down before the change maybe took 10 minutes for our group of 5 to farm.  Most the bases we raided had been in the works for days.  Even prior to the change, raiding bases were already too easy in our opinion.  Now it'll be a breeze, and if this isn't reverted, we've already decided we are either going to leave, or we will do nothing but raid.  No more farming for us either way it'd seem, now much easier to just do nothing but build a sloop right of the bat, throw a single cannon on it, and hit the shores looking for beach bases.  

To give you an idea, about 2 weeks ago we got wiped out (all our ships sunk and all our bases hit) by a chinese group in our zone that had 20 people.  We cut our loses, built a sloop, didn't bother with weapons or armor, smacked a cannon on it with some cannon balls, and 30 minutes later we hit the sea, went to their base, sunk their entire fleet (a bunch of sloops, 3 schooners, 2 brigs, and a galleon if I remember right).  Then knocked their walls down, raided them, and right when we jumped on our ship with the last load of their resources, they finally made it back to their base and chased up for quite a while before one of our guys jumped off and distracted them so we could gain distance.  We went home, repaired our base, stashed everything away, came back, sunk their last ship while they were repairing, sailed off once again, and that was the last we ever saw of that group.  Was stupidly easy to grind up enough (30 minutes) to destroy weeks of progress their 20 man group made, let alone for them to do the same to us with our little 5 man group.  The only difference between us and them is we kept going after getting wiped out, they didn't.  This is the 3rd large chinese group we've been raided by, and the 3rd chinese group we wiped off Atlas within 24 hours of having been raided.

sounds like your just angry about getting wiped so you are exacting revenge on every group you see, honestly the change needs to be reverted, they need to introduce a stronger building material, and they need to stop upping costs of simple building parts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I got... 

I am sorry you are in a bad spot... resources should be spread out.  I REALLY dont like the metal requirement or the change as a whole myself.  But hell it is testing.

Edited by Hodo

4 minutes ago, xenobiaa said:

sounds like your just angry about getting wiped so you are exacting revenge on every group you see, honestly the change needs to be reverted, they need to introduce a stronger building material, and they need to stop upping costs of simple building parts.

We aren't angry at all.  Like I said, it was stupidly easy to grind up to raid them.  We haven't been raided in about 2 weeks now.  It'll probably change with this update, but hasn't happened yet.  My point was, before making stone more expensive and less effective, it was already pretty easy to raid.  I'm saying with this change, it makes it more feasible to be nomadic and raid everyone you see than it is to bunker down or have a base of operations.  

If there is one thing that'll make people rage, its waking up every morning to find your ships sunk, your base raided, and your tames killed.  This update seems to be pointed at making this a common occurrence, which will just make the server population plummet at crazy levels, until there is nothing but massive alliances and the little guys are gone.

Edited by Spiritwind
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spiritwind said:

We aren't angry at all.  Like I said, it was stupidly easy to grind up to raid them.  We haven't been raided in about 2 weeks now.  It'll probably change with this update, but hasn't happened yet.  My point was, before making stone more expensive and less effective, it was already pretty easy to raid.  I'm saying with this change, it makes it more feasible to be nomadic and raid everyone you see than it is to bunker down or have a base of operations.  

it was already pretty well balanced, and that sounds like this update really only benefits one style of play. so idk, like i keep saying they need to fix it and roll back the change, its dogshit and i dont want to go to war with clans over fucking tree sap.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I am sorry you are in a bad spot... resources should be spread out.  I REALLY dont like the metal requirement or the change as a whole myself.  But hell it is testing.

You shouldn't need to test this to know that putting the only effective defensive structure type behind a resource found on 40% of the islands in the game is a bad idea. 

While simultaneously making it three to four times faster to farm the explosives to break the base then the base itself. 

Edited by Ellentro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Not reverted yet? :classic_laugh: Then my half built stone cliff base, metal cliff base, paste cliff base, was it stone? 🤔 will have to wait as this worker is on strike. :skull:

think the devs would notice if everyone logged off in protest for a few hours?

I agree completely on the rollback for sap costs, on everything but maybe the stone gates.  But even then, we quit building them after the increase alloy cost.  That alone made them pretty much useless to spam.  Now they've done the same with stone building parts, so they will be pretty useless.

As for damage being balanced, I'd say not at all.  They need to lower the damage cannons do to stone, but maybe keep the increased explosive damage, or maybe even increase it.  Explosives are harder to craft than cannon balls, and cannons and cannon balls are just too easy to farm massive amounts of.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spiritwind said:

I agree completely on the rollback for sap costs, on everything but maybe the stone gates.  But even then, we quit building them after the increase alloy cost.  That alone made them pretty much useless to spam.  Now they've done the same with stone building parts, so they will be pretty useless.

As for damage being balanced, I'd say not at all.  They need to lower the damage cannons do to stone, but maybe keep the increased explosive damage, or maybe even increase it.  Explosives are harder to craft than cannon balls, and cannons and cannon balls are just too easy to farm massive amounts of.  

shhh they might increase the cost of cannonballs to, dont give them any more bad ideas

2 minutes ago, Spiritwind said:

Even explosives are hilariously easy to farm. Artic islands have gems+crystal+metal in abundance. Make 50k paste, grab 50k salt on the way to the artic, boom, 5k barrels or 15-20k grenades in about 6 hours with two people and a weight brig. Thats even while farming under 30% tax the entire time.

The problem is that the devs are making knee jerk reactions to streams they see where streamers aren't really even crafting explosives. They see ZUnit or Toast floundering with no explosives and dying over and over trying to raid people on land and assume that "This is just what raiding looks like", when in reality most of the streamers in this game have no idea how the game is played. 

• Like 1

Stop it with the BS time-sinks. Not only is sap a pain in the balls to get for many of us, you've created an imbalance of power based on geography. Seriously!!! 

Revert this stupid change. I can't spend all of this time gathering resources and not actually playing the damned game!!!!! Sorry to inform you, gathering resources is the bull-shit you have to ENDURE BEFORE YOU CAN HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

Your game is becoming more of the endurance, and less of the fun. Whoever thought of this change needs to be punched in the face for every minute of searching for sap... and that includes all of the hours of sailing to find it, not to mention it will now be A STRATEGY TO DEPRIVE OPPONENTS OF IT!!! At which point it will turn into a war of who can screw who harder by placing pillars everywhere to deprive your enemies of ALL THEIR SPAWNS in retaliation for being thusly deprived.

Who are your game designers? Crack-Heads?

The Material Requirements were borderline abusive as they stood before.... this change just makes me want to do bad things to spite the devs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ellentro said:

Even explosives are hilariously easy to farm. Artic islands have gems+crystal+metal in abundance. Make 50k paste, grab 50k salt on the way to the artic, boom, 5k barrels or 15-20k grenades in about 6 hours with two people and a weight brig. Thats even while farming under 30% tax the entire time.

The problem is that the devs are making knee jerk reactions to streams they see where streamers aren't really even crafting explosives. They see ZUnit or Toast floundering with no explosives and dying over and over trying to raid people on land and assume that "This is just what raiding looks like", when in reality most of the streamers in this game have no idea how the game is played. 

Makes a lot more sense now with some of the recent changes, if they are basing their experience on the game with streamers.  I don't even bother watching streams unless I'm wanting to check out whether I should buy a new game I'm interested in, just because of the reason you said; most streamers don't really have a clue what they are doing, are moreso entertainers than they are gamers.  

The game was already stupidly easy to raid, on sea or land, and this change just makes it worse.  

Didn't know that about explosives, I guess we did quit building any after we saw how little damage they did in raiding.  So our experience of crafting them was when we were just getting started, not when were to the point we are now.   

1 minute ago, xenobiaa said:

lets brainstorm ideas to get the devs attention. This needs to be addressed.

Just keep posting shit on reddit and the forums. If enough people get upset they will actually change something. If not enough people get upset, they don't care. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

When a player that has a giant base loads in on a server, you absolutely notice the lag. Structures do affect lag but it is more of a once off rather then a constant lag unless the base is really large in which case it is both. Having a lot of ships around also add considerable lag.

Giant bases are not (or rather, should not be) causing server lag. They might cause FPS lag on your specific computer, but that is another issue in itself regarding this game's optimization.

Rubber banding/server lag are being caused by ai/tames/npcs primarily.

Edited by Pindrought
  • Like 1

Then the only way to fix this, if they think stone is too strong, is to DESTROY EVERY STONE BASE!!!!!

Annihilate every stone base with explosives and force a roll-back when everyone bitches.

Keep doing it and keep forcing roll-backs until they get the message

Edited by Mortavius

5 minutes ago, Mortavius said:

Your game is becoming more of the endurance, and less of the fun. 

At first when reading the patch notes, our group thought this change was probably to subsidize the massive amounts of buildings on islands, leading to either a wipe needed or some drastic optimizations to prevent server and client lag.  Then we realized they made thatch cheaper, and wood stronger, kind of blowing that idea out, as people are going to start spamming thatch and wood instead of stone.  Means the only reason they did this change is either to force people to be more nomadic and not really having a single base but many or none, or to just make the grind much more heavy.  

10 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

They would definitely notice, but unfortunately that's never a possibility.

Don't say that.  The EVE Online community got together a number of years ago and had the first case of MMO in-game rioting to protest proposed microtransactions.  I know, I was part of those riots.

https://www.pcgamer.com/eve-online-players-protest-against-monocle-pricesmicrotransactions-lasers-involved/

CCP who makes EVE capitulated and even changed an in-game monument to commemorate those riots.

"This was once a memorial to the winners of a riddle contest sponsored by late entrepreneur Ruevo Aram. After standing proud for half a decade, it was destroyed in late YC113 by capsuleers who were staging a mass uprising against an intolerable status quo of intergalactic affairs. Today, the ruins of this once-great work of art stand as a testament to the fact that change is the universe's only constant."

Edited by Jean Lafitte

4 minutes ago, Spiritwind said:

Didn't know that about explosives, I guess we did quit building any after we saw how little damage they did in raiding.  So our experience of crafting them was when we were just getting started, not when were to the point we are now.   

10 Barrels used to cave out a 3x3x3 area of stone. Pre-patch. Now it's like 3-4 barrels. Barrels can be fired from Bears. We can farm 1k Barrels an hour (Or so on average) with two people. Bases need to defend at least one direction, and at most 5 directions, meaning that if I can break 1 wall, the defender *should* be able to craft 5 walls for the same time investment. As it stands, I can craft more explosives to raid then a defender can feasibly craft defenses to stop it. 

The defense vs offense balance of this game just got utterly kicked in the nuts. It needed some attention, but this wasn't a nerf bat, hammer or even gun. This was a nerf nuke that means it's hilariously easy to raid to the point of utter stupidity. 

Edited by Ellentro
  • Like 2

I'm already nomadic. I finally found a spot in a lawless territory for my own... a place NO ONE ELSE WANTS.... because I have to import ALL of my building materials.....

And now I get to deal with this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mortavius said:

I'm already nomadic. I finally found a spot in a lawless territory for my own... a place NO ONE ELSE WANTS.... because I have to import ALL of my building materials.....

And now I get to deal with this.

And the second your base looks juicy, I can drop 3 barrels on it, which take me literally 2 minutes to farm, blow a 3x3 hole in your base and loot everything. 

• Like 3