Implicitlee

Stone Crafting Materials REALLY

6 hours ago, Spiritwind said:

We still haven't touched building since this update.  Pretty much worthless now.  Better off just living with what you can fit in your inventory. 

Not a bad idea, i was thinking about the same. A troll proll sloop is build quickly in a freeport.

Just sail to next island, get alloys/one large cannon, oil jars and flame arrows and go for fun.

If you are sunk, well, just repeat😂

We have been doing pretty  much that nonstop since the update.  Just building a sloop, throwing a couple cannons on the back, and sinking the bigger alliances ships.  We still haven't been raided, but once we do, we'll just live off a shipyard.  We did just try and get sap.  Have been at it for 5 hours now.  Pretty much reaffirming that building is no longer feasible for us...  Still over an hour to sail back home, so it'll be 6 hours just for a load of sap, which won't build all that much.

Ever since the stone wall change, metal nodes on our islands have been gone. People even harvesting stone for metal now. 

Forget trying to shoot some SODs, that metal is too precious now.

10 minutes ago, Shintai said:

Ever since the stone wall change, metal nodes on our islands have been gone. People even harvesting stone for metal now. 

Forget trying to shoot some SODs, that metal is too precious now.

We have a lot of metal on ours, so no problem there.  Our island does not have sap, though the southern one does.  Only problem is the southern has about 8 sap trees, so if you can even find any, you have to fight.  Have to sail about 4 grids to get to a decent sap spot, and even that is a risk.  Oh well, already lost a couple of our group members because of this update.  They decided to wait a year or two for the developers to find that balance before trying again.  They are getting tired of the slow trend towards more grinding and less fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Senkoau said:

I think the people who raised the issue have mostly given up and left the game.

Oh not entirely, we still log back on to check the patch notes and return to this thread to see a single dev response and watch every player in the game walk away lol

• Like 1

А мне нравиться, то что создали некую сложность создания каменных блоков.  Теперь меньше будут выстраивать громадные сооружения, возможно совмещать с деревянными блоками в мало значимых местах. Вообщем более экономно застраивать территории.

Чем сложней игра, тем больше отсев игроков, которые ради прикола топят, убивают и т.д. ради забавы. Остаются те, кому не страшны изменения добавляющие некую сложность в игре.

The issue is the more it can be destroyed too easily. 40 Mins to farm a base but it takes 10 Mins for someone to farm the mats to destroy that base. Too unbalanced 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2019 at 7:25 PM, Implicitlee said:

Sadly I think if they were going to rollback the change they would have done it by now, so it looks like the game is perma ruined

I don't agree, I would think that they have been monitoring how players have dealt with the changes over the 2x weekend. Well... at least that is what I am hoping, as 2x allows them to test the costs twice as fast as at normal rates, so my guess is that they might still change it. It has only been a few days after all.

Spected out of stone.. because it really is kind of pointless at this point.  Wood is cheaper, and WAY easier to build and honestly you can layer the crap out of it.  Sure it can be burnt but if you put enough layers they wont be able to burn through all of them.

1 hour ago, kampfer91 said:

And remember , more buildings mean more lag and longer rendering time , also may result in low FPS .

Buildings don’t lag servers nearly as badly as 1000 NPCs on puckles...

And people are going to build BIGGER, because they have to layer.

The update made no f**king sense. If they can’t handle the BASIC af building system, then perhaps they shouldn’t have released snother game on the same f**king limited engine as their last one.

Lazy, incompetent, directionless, incommunicative, unproffesional developers.

Edited by Endo Fett
  • Like 1

I am fine with metal being part of the stone construction... just not nearly as much as it is now.  I am fine with organic paste being part of it... again nowhere near what is needed now.  But both is just stupid.  

Haven’t played since this patch came out. As others have said, the trade off is unbalanced now. If it takes 5 hours to build a base and 20 min destroy it completely HOW IS THAT BALANCED. If you want to nerf the gates that’s fine with me but the stone structures were fine as they were. 

On 1/25/2019 at 8:54 PM, Jean Lafitte said:

They mostly likely did do this to get you off land more. The problem I have with it is they turned everyone in the center of the map into kings and queens, sitting on mounds of sap and metal and those of us in the tundra became their bastard step child.   WE are going to be forced to sail and they are going to sit on their ass and watch the tax bank overflow. 

Oh wait... they did give us cotton a while back. I forgot.  I spend 30 minutes on 2x harvest with a bear and I get 5k fiber.  But 2 grids south, I farmed fiber with the same bear for 30 minutes and got 100k and that's paying a 30% tax.  So, it's was more like a, 'oh, you want fiber... har, har... here, you now have fiber.'

And I bet you thought this game was a grind last week, eh?

Thanks for the idea but I don't have that much paste.

It doesn’t waste anything extra. The extra ceiling and foundation are picked up so you can reuse them on the next one.

My grid is just about dead now.  Only 14 players...  I'd say the drop count after this update is pretty noticeable.  On the good side, without so many players running around, I no longer lag like I use to.

I'm my company's primary land-construction engineer. I've built the overwhelming majority of our base and its surroundings, which is essentially a tiny blip of a sandbar that's now an island fortress with guard towers and defensive batteries, a protected artificial harbor, and our zone's only functional lighthouse. (I like to build things, so if a game has a building mechanic I'm usually elbows-deep in it pretty quickly.)

I was prepping for a decently big second build - a megapen for our company's large animals - when the stone change came through. I have a chest sitting there with 100 stone floors, 100 stone walls, 100 stone roofs, large and small gates, a bunch of wood and thatch components for temporary structures during the build, etc. etc. etc. Probably about twenty tons of building materials. (When I prep for a build, I fab 100 pieces at a time of each type and I farm the material up independently of the rest of the company so I don't negatively impact other players' efforts at galleon builds, etc. I'll fab up thousands of parts and then throw down a build session like nobody's business. I am a building machine.)

I just don't feel like logging in now. It's like there's no longer a reason for playing. I literally haven't logged into the game for more than about an hour since and that was strictly to make sure my new video card was set up properly. Prior to that I was about 160 hours deep. And it's not just me: fellow company mates that are IRL friends say the chat in our grid square has almost gone dark and the daily player count is down by over half.

it's like someone stopped the winds and the sails have all gone limp. The sea is still now, quiet, but not a peaceful quiet. It's the quiet of desolation. Of abandonment.

• Like 1

Nice to see this topic still has people's interest, but, I still do not see anything happening about it, I DO NOT see any feedback from the developers one way or another, almost as if the people who pay for the game and the people who play the game DO NOT matter.

Edited by Implicitlee

20 hours ago, totrider said:

I don't agree, I would think that they have been monitoring how players have dealt with the changes over the 2x weekend. Well... at least that is what I am hoping, as 2x allows them to test the costs twice as fast as at normal rates, so my guess is that they might still change it. It has only been a few days after all.

Except you cant compared the data gathered from a double harvest weekend with regular play, as the psycological factor of having to farm twice as long for the same stuff is HUGE, resulting in people simply not bothring once the grind reaches a certain treshhold, and that is a point we are WAY beyond for the stone buildings atm.

And since stone buildings are mandatory on PvP, people are leaving in droves.

Back before the nerf getting wiped was annoying as cumbersome, since you had to deal with finding a new island and get into a new political landscape, after the change however, there is NO way to rebuild, as you have to rebuild in wood because the amount of sap and metal needed to settle back down somewhere is so large thats its simply impossible to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zlax said:

Except you cant compared the data gathered from a double harvest weekend with regular play, as the psycological factor of having to farm twice as long for the same stuff is HUGE, resulting in people simply not bothring once the grind reaches a certain treshhold, and that is a point we are WAY beyond for the stone buildings atm.

And since stone buildings are mandatory on PvP, people are leaving in droves.

Back before the nerf getting wiped was annoying as cumbersome, since you had to deal with finding a new island and get into a new political landscape, after the change however, there is NO way to rebuild, as you have to rebuild in wood because the amount of sap and metal needed to settle back down somewhere is so large thats its simply impossible to do.

Exactly why I am stating what I am. If they see that people stop caring about stone after the 2x weekend, then they will see that they might want to lower the cost, but not necessarily remove e.g. organic paste outright if people did in fact build enough stone stuff during 2x. If they continue to see that people will continue to mainly build stone during the weekend, then I hope that they do something about it. After all, 2x is just a way of accelerating normal gameplay, and sure, it has a psychological effect too as many players seem to understand it as a "once in a lifetime" kinda thing almost, not a weekly weekend event acting almost like a catchup mechanic to provide those who can only play during the weekend an opportunity to also experience the official servers.

This is all pure speculation of course.

I have been trying to try and see why they did this change in the first place, and I have noticed something that might be relevant.

It seems like a good amount of islands in the game barely have any of the original 3 components (wood/thatch, stone, fiber). But instead, they might have good amount of another combination, say, (sap, stone, metal). Maybe the metal and organic paste was added in order to make it more fair for islands with less of the original components, but instead have stuff like sap or metal. Still, I don't think I would go so far and say that it is currently fair at all, as I have yet to see any cold areas with sap or organic paste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, totrider said:

Exactly why I am stating what I am. If they see that people stop caring about stone after the 2x weekend, then they will see that they might want to lower the cost, but not necessarily remove e.g. organic paste outright if people did in fact build enough stone stuff during 2x. If they continue to see that people will continue to mainly build stone during the weekend, then I hope that they do something about it. After all, 2x is just a way of accelerating normal gameplay, and sure, it has a psychological effect too as many players seem to understand it as a "once in a lifetime" kinda thing almost, not a weekly weekend event acting almost like a catchup mechanic to provide those who can only play during the weekend an opportunity to also experience the official servers.

This is all pure speculation of course.

I have been trying to try and see why they did this change in the first place, and I have noticed something that might be relevant.

It seems like a good amount of islands in the game barely have any of the original 3 components (wood/thatch, stone, fiber). But instead, they might have good amount of another combination, say, (sap, stone, metal). Maybe the metal and organic paste was added in order to make it more fair for islands with less of the original components, but instead have stuff like sap or metal. Still, I don't think I would go so far and say that it is currently fair at all, as I have yet to see any cold areas with sap or organic paste.

My biggiest problem isnt so much that established companies need to go further to improve their bases, the problem is that currently if you get wiped somewhere, there is zero chance to get back in the game because of the horrible prices on stone now.
What they should have done instead, is to only nerf the damage resistance of the current stone and then have added another tier of stone, maybe even something that cant be used as walls in bases but rather as big fortress walls (and remove the current huge gate and remake it to fit into the fortress style) so that you could use this to build fortified walls around your base and then use the nerfed stone (with old cost) to build the actual houses inside it. Would be both alot more visually pleasing and easier for companies to reestablish themselves.

8 hours ago, Implicitlee said:

Nice to see this topic still has people's interest, but, I still do not see anything happening about it, I DO NOT see any feedback from the developers one way or another, almost as if the people who pay for the game and the people who play the game DO NOT matter.

Maybe we should open this as bug report.

1 hour ago, neoloid said:

Maybe we should open this as bug report.

Yes maybe if we could get the 22000 people who play to all send one.

Hopefully the latest log's hinting about a stone crafting requirement reduction.