Bobs

Atlas Quest Setup - reduce number of powerstone quests to unlock boss

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to set up the Atlas quests differently from the template you get with the editor

Currently, I believe you need to set up 9 powerstone quests to unlock the final boss.

Does anyone know of a way to reduce this, for example, to only 4 quests completed it unlocks the final boss?

I only have a 2x3 and don't want to set up all 9 powerstone quests by adding lots of PVE islands to it.

Thanks,

Edited by Bobs
  • Like 1

While it doesn't actually answer your request (which I wouldn't mind knowing), You can totally work a whole mess of islands onto a 2x3. The only limiter on islands-per server is in regards to client's ability to render them - We've got like 60 islands on our grid, about 10 per server. Mind you, we've only got about 5 people we play with, so there's that, size increases a lot with number of players. But even then, we've got custom-made close-together archipelagos and stuff where you can see 5-6 islands all at one time in the distance.

But anyway, even some junky servers can handle massive numbers of islands. Mostly its a client size issue for loading, if your players have terrible machines. (And I'll point out, mines a decade-old original-model low speed I-7 with a like a GTX 760, lmao, and even *I* can handle it, even if I have to run it mid-low settings)

8 Islands out of 60 aint a big deal.

Oh, and unless you want your map to look all squashed, I'd recommend changing the grid to a 3x3 and just not actually filling anything in for whichever row/column you want empty. Atlas seems to try and make the in-game map square and tries to resize the PNG to fit, which causes issues.

Edited by Dread Pirate Ash

5 hours ago, Dread Pirate Ash said:

While it doesn't actually answer your request (which I wouldn't mind knowing), You can totally work a whole mess of islands onto a 2x3. The only limiter on islands-per server is in regards to client's ability to render them - We've got like 60 islands on our grid, about 10 per server. Mind you, we've only got about 5 people we play with, so there's that, size increases a lot with number of players. But even then, we've got custom-made close-together archipelagos and stuff where you can see 5-6 islands all at one time in the distance.

But anyway, even some junky servers can handle massive numbers of islands. Mostly its a client size issue for loading, if your players have terrible machines. (And I'll point out, mines a decade-old original-model low speed I-7 with a like a GTX 760, lmao, and even *I* can handle it, even if I have to run it mid-low settings)

8 Islands out of 60 aint a big deal.

Oh, and unless you want your map to look all squashed, I'd recommend changing the grid to a 3x3 and just not actually filling anything in for whichever row/column you want empty. Atlas seems to try and make the in-game map square and tries to resize the PNG to fit, which causes issues.

Thanks for the reply,

I have set up all 10 quests in my 3x2, it's not too squashed and still room for PVP fun, map image below. In my experience adding too many islands to a grid caused the ram usage to skyrocket and I also know what you mean about the client rendering when so many islands are visible from one spot. I'm going to work with a 3x2 map for now to test, modifying the generated map and file dimensions to suit should be easy.

1833683061_2019-01-2509_40_14-MapImg.jpg@33.3(RGB_8)_.thumb.jpg.fb65914c8c3ff1f25fdb4c102c19d1a1.jpg

Just now, Kero said:

Final boss grid have no wild animals spawn.

Oh that sucks

This is what people told me when i tried to do the same on my 2x3 server, but you can test it, maybe it works.

34 minutes ago, Kero said:

Final boss grid have no wild animals spawn.

Yes, this is what I'm just now discovering. Saw it in a different thread, activated the subregion there, did a wild dino wipe. Been about 15mins and I havent seen a dang thing outside of the water, which is pretty lame.

In our case, since its just friends, I'm thinking we'll schedule boss spawns. Basically, just say 'hey, anyone who wants to fight the boss after they've got the stones, please contact me and schedule a time for me to activate him'.

Won't help everyone, but it'll do for us, I think.

Maybe some skilled guy can make a mod to control the quests in an easy way...

On 1/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, Kero said:

Maybe some skilled guy can make a mod to control the quests in an easy way...

Yeah, without editing all the json etc