Final Vegeta

Suicide Prevention - Fixing the Vitamins

I have yet to meet a fellow sailor that eats and maintains their vitamins to survive. The vitamins are a great idea and keep the game in it's "realistic" standpoint but right now it is really really broken. Most players don't see the benefit of keeping their vitamins full and just run till death. Why bother eating when you can just respawn with full stats? We all know that the vitamin system could be great and here is how. 

Vitamin A :"Vitamin A has multiple functions: it is important for growth and development, for the maintenance of the immune system and good vision." Therefore, I suggest that Vitamin A will affect the Melee Stat. 

Vitamin B : "B vitamins are a class of water-soluble vitamins that play important roles in cell metabolism." Therefore, Vitamin B should affect the Stamina Stat.

Vitamin C : "Vitamin C is an essential nutrient involved in the repair of tissue and the enzymatic production of certain neurotransmitters." Therefore, Vitamin C should affect the Health Stat.

Vitamin D : "Vitamin D has a significant role in calcium homeostasis and metabolism." Aka, bone strength. Therefore, Vitamin D should affect the Weight Stat. 

The level of the vitamin should affect your stats either positive, negative, or neutral. Each stat above should be affected individually by the vitamins that they correspond to. I also believe you should not die from vitamin deficiency and no adverse effects should come from a vitamin being at 100%.

• Greater or Equal to 75% = 10% Buff
  • 25% to 75% = No Buff
  • Less then or equal to 25% = -10% De-buff

This will cause players to use certain foods for certain tasks and make the cooking skill, farming, and gathering consumables essential. Do you want to gather resources to build a galleon? Might want to stock up on Vitamin D and B based foods! Do you want to go explore the Golden age ruins or find the fountain of youth? Might want to get those Vitamin A and C heavy foods. 

Overall I think this simple solution would fix the problem most people are having in this game surrounding the survival part of it. This will drive the player base to strive to stay alive and not get the de-buffs, work towards the buffs, and benefit the unused skills in the game.

Let me know what you guys think! This is the best I can come up with and if anyone has any suggestions please post them so the devs can stop the chaos of constant death runs.

vitamin-b-you.jpg.705bb0214963aa5f218eb102dffec441.jpg

Edited by Final Vegeta
  • Like 1

Hi, now you've met one.

Have you seen/felt the benefits of Equilibrium? The buff received for balancing vitamins for 30min. It provides Fortitude, Regen, Melee dmg, Speed, and 20% XP. It alone is incentive not to kys.

• Like 2

Just now, Nari said:

Hi, now you've met one.

Have you seen/felt the benefits of Equilibrium? The buff received for balancing vitamins for 30min. It provides Fortitude, Regen, Melee dmg, Speed, and 20% XP. It alone is incentive not to kys.

Yeah it's great! It just seems it's not worth the constant farming and cooking to keep it at that level but that's only my experience. Sadly, if I want to get the buff again I just end up killing my character to refresh all my stats.

6 minutes ago, Final Vegeta said:

Yeah it's great! It just seems it's not worth the constant farming and cooking to keep it at that level but that's only my experience. Sadly, if I want to get the buff again I just end up killing my character to refresh all my stats.

Cooking really isnt valuable enough in its current state to supplement micromanaging vitamins. I wish it was but I can sustain EQ off basic meats/berries/veggies. Math may vary with different stats like stam and rejuvenation but I find that 5 of each berry or veggie for each piece of meat keeps it stable for hours on end. Provided I dont walk face first into an alpha or the servers are redeployed.

Edited by Nari
  • Like 2

Just now, Nari said:

Cooking really isnt valuable enough in its current state to supplement micromanaging vitamins. I wish it was but I can sustain EQ off basic meats/berries/veggies. Math may vary with different stats like stam and rejuvenation but I find that 5 of each berry/veggie for 1 of each meat keeps it stable for hours on end. Provided I dont walk face first into an alpha or the servers are redeployed.

Yeah that's the reason I was suggesting taking away the death mechanic for vitamins and the over vitamin effects to help this a bit. I hate that when I try to eat it ends up causing me pain because I have too much of one vitamin. I could sustain it the same way you are it just takes a lot of extra effort instead of me swimming into the bottom of the ocean and drowning myself. I love what they did with vitamin equilibrium but they still need more because most people that I've met anyways are still not utilizing it because of the effort it takes to maintain it. 

Just now, Final Vegeta said:

[...] I could sustain it the same way you are it just takes a lot of extra effort instead of me swimming into the bottom of the ocean and drowning myself.

Might I suggest the training dummy or dancing. If you're not exerting yourself enough to consume food (drain stam) then yes sustain is an issue particularly when sailing. Using either solution is a pretty effortless fix 😉

1 minute ago, Nari said:

Might I suggest the training dummy or dancing. If you're not exerting yourself enough to consume food (drain stam) then yes sustain is an issue particularly when sailing. Using either solution is a pretty effortless fix 😉

Only problem I've seen with that is even with constant running and farming resources it still seems super imbalanced with vitamins to hunger ratio. If I constantly farm resources and try to balance the vitamins I will sometimes overeat and other times I will eat too many vitamins and get the blurrs. 

If you're having trouble with over eating, drink milk or get the basic cooking recipes and drink some berry tea.

I think the OP has a very good suggestion, and if nothing else, is a great starting point that would be better than the system we have now. Unlike Ark, it is just too easy to die and re-spawn when you are always operating off of a nearby ship or base instead of flying around on a bird with no place to spawn. I will usually make an attempt to maintain my vitamins, but with how fast the food spoils and the heat waves, it is just far too easy to die and re-spawn with fresh stats.

• Like 1

Just now, ViperGuyMike said:

I think the OP has a very good suggestion, and if nothing else, is a great starting point that would be better than the system we have now. Unlike Ark, it is just too easy to die and re-spawn when you are always operating off of a nearby ship or base instead of flying around on a bird with no place to spawn. I will usually make an attempt to maintain my vitamins, but with how fast the food spoils and the heat waves, it is just far too easy to die and re-spawn with fresh stats.

I have the opposite issue, I live in the tundra so my food stat goes super quick then I overdose on vitamins mostly. Much easier to die and respawn to get the boost back. 

6 minutes ago, Final Vegeta said:

I have the opposite issue, I live in the tundra so my food stat goes super quick then I overdose on vitamins mostly. Much easier to die and respawn to get the boost back. 

Weird so do i, live in the tundra i mean. I'm curious to know what quantities of which foods you consume. And in this specific case suggest you try Basic Recipies: Monarch Cake and Bubbles 'n Squeak. Just need to get some salt and sap and grow the rest.

Edited by Nari

Just now, Nari said:

Weird so do i, live in the tundra i mean. I'm curious to know what quantities of which foods you consume. And in this specific case suggest you try Basic Recipies: Monarch Cake and Bubbles 'n Squeak. Just need to farm up some salt and sap.

Yeah I just see it as a waste of time to go and travel so far for salt to craft the recipies. I went on one voyage and got about 5k salt and started cooking and preserving with it but with me and my company trying to use it the stuff went surprisingly fast. I just find it more efficient to do respawn then to try to make the voyage to get the salt to make the food to stay alive. I even get a bunch of cooking materials from taxes but the time it takes doesn't add up for me. Easier to punch a rock lol. 

Just now, Final Vegeta said:

Yeah I just see it as a waste of time to go and travel so far for salt to craft the recipies. I went on one voyage and got about 5k salt and started cooking and preserving with it but with me and my company trying to use it the stuff went surprisingly fast. I just find it more efficient to do respawn then to try to make the voyage to get the salt to make the food to stay alive. I even get a bunch of cooking materials from taxes but the time it takes doesn't add up for me. Easier to punch a rock lol. 

What grid are you in? I go to desert biomes (E/W) for salt instead of south. Beaches are littered with pure flake and pink salt rocks.

The foodsystem need a complete rework.

Till you've got your base set up it's impossible to maintain your food and vitamines.  Even after you need to invest valuable skillpoint in cooking to accomplish it. As solo Player unthinkable.

I once skilled the vitamin depletion skill to the fullest. Ended up dieing cause all my vitamins were almost at max, but I needed to eat. Other way around you sometimes need vitamin but can't eat, cause you're full. You can exploit that a bit, by constantly draining your stamina, but that shouldn't be the solution.

One solution would be vitamin pills that doesn't fill your hunger and food without vitamin or a complete rebalance of the system

If I am about to go kill alphas or do a bunch of gathering on stuff I will get xp from I tend to try and get the buff since leveling has really slowed for me. If I am busy building or doing stuff where I won't get much or any xp I don't tend to take care of maintaining my vitamins for the buff but I still don't intentionally kill myself. Where I am I have a cow for vitamin D, plenty of meat for B and tons of plants for A and C. Very little effort involved in maintaining. The thing I find annoying is that the vitamins can degrade faster than your hunger if you aren't busy doing tons of gathering etc which can lead you you being unable to eat to increase your vitamins. I also hope at some point they add some food options which actually let you eat 1 item to maintain equilibrium while also getting a huge chunk of hunger. Eating 50 berries and 50 herbs to match the same amount of food and vitamins as a few pieces of meat doesn't really make sense to me.

Edited by Thor Ragnarock

This buff is stupid.

You get hurt at too high a vitamin count and too low a vitamin count.

You also lose vitamins more quickly if they're high (I've noticed at least), so 75+ would require gorging yourself all the time.

The equilibrium buff is fine, maybe make it persist map zones and log out log in so it's REALLY worth managing but other then that.

All they really need to do is fix one thing:

GREATLY reduce vitamine loss. The rate is ridiculous, to the point you have to fucking over eat in order to keep them up! Even with all the perks to reduce vitamin loss, it's still way too fast. If they fix this, vitamins aren't an issue anymore.

43 minutes ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

If I am about to go kill alphas or do a bunch of gathering on stuff I will get xp from I tend to try and get the buff since leveling has really slowed for me. If I am busy building or doing stuff where I won't get much or any xp I don't tend to take care of maintaining my vitamins for the buff but I still don't intentionally kill myself. Where I am I have a cow for vitamin D, plenty of meat for B and tons of plants for A and C. Very little effort involved in maintaining. The thing I find annoying is that the vitamins can degrade faster than your hunger if you aren't busy doing tons of gathering etc which can lead you you being unable to eat to increase your vitamins. I also hope at some point they add some food options which actually let you eat 1 item to maintain equilibrium while also getting a huge chunk of hunger. Eating 50 berries and 50 herbs to match the same amount of food and vitamins as a few pieces of meat doesn't really make sense to me.

Different things give different amounts of vitamins.

Cooked Prime Meat give about 10-15 vitamin B.

Cooked Prime Fish Meat give about 10-15 Vitamin D.

Potatoes, Peppers, give about 5-10 Vitamin A.

Strawberries give 1 vitamin C each.  I believe Limes give 5-10 Vitamin C each.

So you can actually gain a LOT of vitamins off of VERY little food.   I actually have to watch my eating habits sometimes, especially if I am sailing long distances.  Because my vitamins will drop faster than my hunger, which makes it VERY hard for me to keep them up.

As long as I keep them above 50 each I am usually good for about 4 hours.

The OP suggestion is already in the game with that general idea of equilibrium buff and full/drained vitamin penalty that ultimately lead to death, making it more complicated to get bonus/debuffed is not going to make more people use the system.   When the existing carrot is not being used, then it is time for the stick.  It is actually very easy to balance vitamins now, especially once you get preservatives and can keep handy everything you need.    At release it was not a balanced system and I died all the time, but now with much smaller penalty zone and much wider EQ zone, and no more excess drain of vitamins at sea I have never had a vitamin death.    The only thing killing me now is rogue temperatures and mobs.  

Take the overeating perks and vitamin drain perks and it becomes absolutely trivial.    The only issue with it is that you do have to overeat to balance, but that is because you are being inactive and a signal you need to be doing physical activitiy that drains your stamina so it drains your food (go swimming, punch a dummy, run laps, etc)

If the buff is not enough for people to do it then maybe death causing them to age faster leading quicker to age debuff.   But the carrot of EQ bonus should be worth pursuing more than a death stick.  The only reason people die now is because it is easier to get vitamins refreshed and get back to EQ than actually having to eat, as long as there is no death penalty that will always happen no matter how simple/complex the EQ balancing code is.  SImply make it so your new body does not get refreshed vitamins will force people into actually using the system and realizing it is not as bad as it originally was.

As it is now, you would have to be pretty damn lazy to be saying you cannot afford to keep a stack for days of vitamins on your person or in a bag/larder when it is so damn easy to get these stacks.  Even as a noob rock puncher it is incredibly easy and fast to get more stacks than you need,especially since you can gatherby hand  on the run, although you get way more if you get out your sickle and take a second to clear bushes..   Pretty much every mob drops more than you need even with spoilage. The only issue is sailing before you get salt means lots of beach landings on your journey to restock, but plenty of freeports around for a safe restock.

I would however say cooking recipes are not worth the effort, you only need cooking to get to salt bags.   Until cooking recipes is greater than the sum of its parts, there is no point.  Cooking seems more like ARK of being hidden stat foods that quickly decay so you do not run around OP that is rather ignorant about the vitamin system.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 5:14 AM, Final Vegeta said:

I have yet to meet a fellow sailor that eats and maintains their vitamins to survive. The vitamins are a great idea and keep the game in it's "realistic" standpoint but right now it is really really broken. Most players don't see the benefit of keeping their vitamins full and just run till death. Why bother eating when you can just respawn with full stats? We all know that the vitamin system could be great and here is how. 

Vitamin A :"Vitamin A has multiple functions: it is important for growth and development, for the maintenance of the immune system and good vision." Therefore, I suggest that Vitamin A will affect the Melee Stat. 

Vitamin B : "B vitamins are a class of water-soluble vitamins that play important roles in cell metabolism." Therefore, Vitamin B should affect the Stamina Stat.

Vitamin C : "Vitamin C is an essential nutrient involved in the repair of tissue and the enzymatic production of certain neurotransmitters." Therefore, Vitamin C should affect the Health Stat.

Vitamin D : "Vitamin D has a significant role in calcium homeostasis and metabolism." Aka, bone strength. Therefore, Vitamin D should affect the Weight Stat. 

The level of the vitamin should affect your stats either positive, negative, or neutral. Each stat above should be affected individually by the vitamins that they correspond to. I also believe you should not die from vitamin deficiency and no adverse effects should come from a vitamin being at 100%.

• Greater or Equal to 75% = 10% Buff
  • 25% to 75% = No Buff
  • Less then or equal to 25% = -10% De-buff

This will cause players to use certain foods for certain tasks and make the cooking skill, farming, and gathering consumables essential. Do you want to gather resources to build a galleon? Might want to stock up on Vitamin D and B based foods! Do you want to go explore the Golden age ruins or find the fountain of youth? Might want to get those Vitamin A and C heavy foods. 

Overall I think this simple solution would fix the problem most people are having in this game surrounding the survival part of it. This will drive the player base to strive to stay alive and not get the de-buffs, work towards the buffs, and benefit the unused skills in the game.

Let me know what you guys think! This is the best I can come up with and if anyone has any suggestions please post them so the devs can stop the chaos of constant death runs.

vitamin-b-you.jpg.705bb0214963aa5f218eb102dffec441.jpg

I appreciate you trying to be helpful but the vitamins are just another item on a list of FAILS, I do try and maintain my vitamins to the point of equilibrium , yet nearly every time I get to the point of vitamin deficiency while still on 3/4 full stomach, so its easier to just suicide than muck around