Sign in to follow this  
MrHeid

How much would it cost to buy

How much would it cost to buy servers to run this game but with less people per server allowed?  Just curious.  Like if you wanted all zones but maybe only 10 players per zone.  

Here is the cost on Nitrado with 16 servers, 10 player limit, and 30 days of game time.

To purchase the hardware, I don't have a clue.

16x Publicserver 10 Slots - 30 Days 208.00 USD

Edited by Maar

3 minutes ago, MrHeid said:

That's to rent I mean to buy

Like I want to own the server 

Well, that depends. You can buy a cheap server for around $500-$700 US.  But there's a lot of unanswered questions.  Like does the code need 1 server per zone or does one server handle multiple zones, etc.  And after that, you'll be looking at the broadband fees to allow all those connections... and the time it would take to maintain all those servers, both hardware and administering them.  You seriously wealthy with nothing better to do with you money?

23 minutes ago, MrHeid said:

That's to rent I mean to buy

Like I want to own the server 

More than a PS4, less than a new car. For more specific information, you would likely need the answers to the questions Jean raised in his post.

RAM gets up to 8 gigs when launching (Ofcourse dependable on the map), so you can do the math if you know the amount of grids you want. 

Edited by Percieval

11 minutes ago, Percieval said:

RAM gets up to 8 gigs when launching (Ofcourse dependable on the map), so you can do the math if you know the amount of grids you want. 

Isn't that just the client?  I would assume the server wouldn't take nearly that much as it doesn't need to load most of the resources.  Does it run on Windows? Because there's 2 gigs gone, or does the server run on a Linux server which is going to be much faster.

Either way, assuming it's 1 server per grid (which I doubt) that's 225 servers.  And then I'm guessing there's gotta be a fast database server somewhere to keep track of all this data and then, there's all the networking hardware.  

I dunno @boomervoncannon , when you said less than a new car, were you thinking Bugatti???

2 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Isn't that just the client?  I would assume the server wouldn't take nearly that much as it doesn't need to load most of the resources.  Does it run on Windows? Because there's 2 gigs gone, or does the server run on a Linux server which is going to be much faster.

Either way, assuming it's 1 server per grid (which I doubt) that's 225 servers.  And then I'm guessing there's gotta be a fast database server somewhere to keep track of all this data and then, there's all the networking hardware.  

I dunno @boomervoncannon , when you said less than a new car, were you thinking Bugatti???

It's actually 1 virtual server, this wouldn't take a full server to run especially since you can technically host a server on your own device.  So you could probably very easily do at minimum a 2x2 on a decent server(4 virtual servers) depending on what the actual ram/cpu usage is.  I've seen some screen caps that have quite a few instances running.

3 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Isn’t that what everyone means when they say new car? To be fair I only drive mine when the Tesla is in the shop (save the planet).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vaenix said:

It's actually 1 virtual server, this wouldn't take a full server to run especially since you can technically host a server on your own device.  So you could probably very easily do at minimum a 2x2 on a decent server(4 virtual servers) depending on what the actual ram/cpu usage is.  I've seen some screen caps that have quite a few instances running.

Ok, so if we assume some relatively cheap servers with each running 8 grids allowing 10 connections each instead of 150, we're still looking at $20,000 ish to run a full map, just the server hardware.  Ok, that's cheaper than a Hyundai.

I'd hate to try to administer all those VM's tho... jeezus.

Edited by Jean Lafitte

Its a shame that people have to pay to play, the Devs should give us single player and then invite a friend.

Just now, sand man said:

Its a shame that people have to pay to play, the Devs should give us single player and then invite a friend.

Well, there was one post somewhere about a guy running a server on his machine where it only loaded up the grid you were active in and it basically allowed you to single player.

5 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Ok, so if we assume some relatively cheap servers with each running 8 grids allowing 10 connections each instead of 150, we're still looking at $20,000 ish to run a full map, just the server hardware.  Ok, that's cheaper than a Hyundai.

Yeah definitely would cost more, it'd be more effective for someone to create a 2x2 grid map or even a 1x1(single grid) that includes the islands from the zones you want to play in, problem is these would both be more resource intensive than spreading them out.  It'd just be cheaper to run.

4 minutes ago, sand man said:

It's super early access, your not paying to play.  You bought the game you can go to official and not have to do the unofficials, you can even go to unofficials that are smaller and paid for by someone else.

If you have a decent pc you can set this up and it will let you and your friends play on the entire map but your gonna have to do some work for it.

Personally I'm looking at moving with a community to a 4x4 to avoid some of the bs while this game develops.

Edited by Vaenix
details.

1 minute ago, Vaenix said:

Yeah definitely would cost more, it'd be more effective for someone to create a 2x2 grid map or even a 1x1(single grid) that includes the islands from the zones you want to play in, problem is these would both be more resource intensive than spreading them out.  It'd just be cheaper to run.

It's super early access, your not paying to play.  You bought the game you can go to official and not have to do the unofficials, you can even go to unofficials that are smaller and paid for by someone else.

If you have a decent pc you can set this up and it will let you and your friends play on the entire map but your gonna have to do some work for it.

Clever guy.

Just now, sand man said:

It is a shame that Early Access, a mechanism that I consider mostly appropriate for small underfunded indie studios to use as a means to give the public a chance to help fund their game that might not otherwise see the light of day, seems increasingly to be used in a dubious manner that I would equate to getting people to pay to be alpha and beta testers.

Given that this is a massively multiplayer game with ingame trading and economy as a stated design goal, I’m not sure I agree that a single player mode is appropriate.

I'm tinkering with that Controller program whenever I get the chance, but when I run it I get a ShooterGame error message.  I'll watch the instructional videos he provided tomorrow, if I get the chance.

I'm playing on a 4x3 PvPvE server and it blows the Official servers out of the water.  Plenty of room, lots of islands and no need to worry if someone is going to steal my Claim flag.  It's also very nice to log in for the first time of the day and see my ships, base and tames just the way I left them - what a difference no griefers makes!  😄

43 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Given that this is a massively multiplayer game with ingame trading and economy as a stated design goal, I’m not sure I agree that a single player mode is appropriate.

You think everybody plays as a team/Company just because the game is "multiplayer"?  All that means is that there are a lot of players, not that I have to work with them.  I like ingame chat and helping the odd passer-by, but that's as far as I want to go regarding player interaction.  I play the game the way I think is appropriate, not the way YOU think is appropriate, and if single player mode was an option I'd be right in there.

41 minutes ago, Coggage said:

[...] if single player mode was an option I'd be right in there.

Again, you have the ability to fire up a 1x1 and play solo.

You cant honestly expect them to officially integrate a Solo Play launch option like ARK  when Atlas is essentially a 15x15 grid of "ARK's." The average user doesn't have a PC capable of hosting 3x3 yet alone 15x15 and if you're thinking "well just make a 1x1 solo button" you're asking them to limit your experience of a sandbox pirate MMO to a single island at worst or a hand full of isles at best. Biomes become an issue, as do Powerstones, as does Taming & Breeding or any region specific mechanic/content like Treasure, Blueprints, Freeports, Fountains, and the Center. There's no reason nor actual need to offer single player in Atlas. That's not to mention the costs/time needed to make it an acceptable experience.

Edited by Nari

12 minutes ago, Nari said:

1)  You cant honestly expect them to officially integrate a Solo Play launch option like ARK  when Atlas is essentially a 15x15 grid of "ARK's."

2)  The average user doesn't have a PC capable of hosting 3x3 yet alone 15x15

1)  I did say IF.

2)  This program CAN do a 15x15 on a PC, loading zones dynamically...

Edited by Coggage

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

It is a shame that Early Access, a mechanism that I consider mostly appropriate for small underfunded indie studios to use as a means to give the public a chance to help fund their game that might not otherwise see the light of day, seems increasingly to be used in a dubious manner that I would equate to getting people to pay to be alpha and beta testers.

You don't have to buy early access games. It's your choice to be "tester" or not. If you don't like it just wait for the finished product and then buy it. It's not devs fault. Nobody is pointing gun at your face and forcing you to buy and play ea game. 🙄

3 hours ago, MacLobuzz said:

You don't have to buy early access games. It's your choice to be "tester" or not. If you don't like it just wait for the finished product and then buy it. It's not devs fault. Nobody is pointing gun at your face and forcing you to buy and play ea game. 🙄

Thanks for pointing out that I have free will. I hadn’t realized.

Now we’ve established that I have free will, let’s go a step further and say maybe I also have the freedom to draw a distinction between being an alpha or beta tester (free), and EA (I paid).

Now let’s go out on a limb and say that maybe with my free will I can recognize that there are actually more possible options than the two you present of either like it or wait for release. Maybe, just maybe, as a tester, I can like some things about it and be critical of others.

Now here’s where it gets really crazy. What if, using both my free will and my ability to offer criticism of things while still enjoying them, I could do really crazy stuff like question whether a company sitting on a large pile of cash from a hit game and that really can’t be considered a small struggling indie studio anymore, should be allowed by steam to use EA to charge people for a 2 year testing phase that for most of this industries existence, has been free?

That would really be something, wouldn’t it?

4 hours ago, Coggage said:

You think everybody plays as a team/Company just because the game is "multiplayer"?  All that means is that there are a lot of players, not that I have to work with them.  I like ingame chat and helping the odd passer-by, but that's as far as I want to go regarding player interaction.  I play the game the way I think is appropriate, not the way YOU think is appropriate, and if single player mode was an option I'd be right in there.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't being clear. I'm not arguing that everyone needs to join a large company, merely that for mechanics like trading and economy to function well, everyone needs to be part of the same game world, or at least the same server system. Single player modes by definition are walled off from this kind of interactivity. You can build a thriving trading and economy system in a game world with nothing BUT solo players, but what you can't do is build those things if all those players are playing in seperate single player modes.