Sign in to follow this  
Airhik

ABOUT BREEDING

Ahoy ,

Just see breeding in Atlas is very, very difficult. Too difficult.

Is there an update programed soon to improve breeding. Especially about temperature?

Thx for all

• Confused 1

I don't mind the difficulty of it...the part that gets me is the time sink. I mean if you develop a feature that basically requires you to sit in a stationary spot for a period of time, and then sit in same spot again immediately following to feed infants...that is just insanity at its best. I mean Taming I can understand, there is only one stage and it takes X amount of time. You don't get much downtime in taming and when you do take too much it only reverses the taming process unlike breeding which results in the death of the infant and fighting a CD on breeding again. The gestation period on a bear for instance in 4 hrs and I think its 12 on horses. So if you want to breed a horse you better hope its a day you are off from work and a day you dont expect to do anything else in the game. Its too big a time sink to invest into, especially when the animal will die so easily to an alpha or clipping anyway. Its far more efficient to just tame low level animals and go from there. There needs to be a buffer period in temps to contend with sudden temp extremities and breeding times have got to go down by 300% because they are just way to damn long.

• Like 1

Honestly, there probably isn't gonna be much in the way of development for this feature for awhile.  Even Ark didn't get a lot of polish on it's breeding system until later on in the dev cycles.  Just go tame between level 20 - 30 and call it a day.  Not even sure if anything above that exists outside of the golden age areas, but those are gonna be your best work horses.  Get yourself a horse early on, if you can toss a swivel or a ballista on it and most of your alpha/aggressive mob problems will go away rather quickly, provided you are on it or have an npc ready to fire on it.

15 minutes ago, Migolcow said:

Guessing we'll get a tame that "regulates temperature" or something eventually.

Penguin already provides insulation. you need like 20 in the Tundra cant imagine what you need at the Poles.

I think they buffed babies and forgot to include it in the patch notes or something. We forgot to put fish in the trough and are now down to two level 30 penguins. Our new born bears can handle cold fronts and heatwaves and only need 6-8 fires instead of 32. Going to breed Horses again tomorrow.

Update: After the first 20min of babysitting the baby has basically survived unsupervised since I initially posted this.

Update 2: Filled the inv with meat after update 1 and left it to mature. It is now Juvy and I'm fairly confident in leaving it unattended until imprint. Whatever they did made this feel like ARK unofficial. It is the polar opposite of the previous attempts.

Edited by Nari
  • Thanks 1

This game is doing what Ark did so horribly, a track record Wildcard seems to have is creating games where you literally can’t afford to play anything else if you want to enjoy the game to its fullest. The breeding and taming in this game need to be lowered badly. The raising times along with biome requirements and travel time make this aspect of the game impossible for those that can’t afford the time to play the game CONSTANTLY. The developers need to understand this mechanic will lose them players, and that developers cannot always have everything their way. Concessions need to be made for players of this game or it will die just as official Ark did. The only things keeping games like this alive are unofficial servers and people with nothing better to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just be thankful your company didn't leave all your breeding animals on the beach to get killed by a rattlesnake...

On 1/22/2020 at 8:42 AM, TSO Leviathan said:

This game is doing what Ark did so horribly, a track record Wildcard seems to have is creating games where you literally can’t afford to play anything else if you want to enjoy the game to its fullest. The breeding and taming in this game need to be lowered badly. The raising times along with biome requirements and travel time make this aspect of the game impossible for those that can’t afford the time to play the game CONSTANTLY. The developers need to understand this mechanic will lose them players, and that developers cannot always have everything their way. Concessions need to be made for players of this game or it will die just as official Ark did. The only things keeping games like this alive are unofficial servers and people with nothing better to do.

Taming is not the point of this game. All of the end game content is done with guns and ships. This is your mistake..

• Confused 1

Except when there is more than 5 ships, the game lags so much that you will wish someone used a gun on you.

Guns are useless btw, obviously you're a scrub, that wants pvp with pve and factions

On 1/24/2020 at 10:50 PM, PeglegTheAngry said:

Taming is not the point of this game. All of the end game content is done with guns and ships. This is your mistake..

your statement has nothing to do at all with what he said, you should stop being a prick to players who are only stating their concerns and voicing their opinions

On 1/25/2020 at 3:37 AM, eeeceee said:

Except when there is more than 5 ships, the game lags so much that you will wish someone used a gun on you.

Guns are useless btw, obviously you're a scrub, that wants pvp with pve and factions 

Double order of french cries, extra salt please. You can heat them up in that toaster you call a computer.

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

your statement has nothing to do at all with what he said, you should stop being a prick to players who are only stating their concerns and voicing their opinions

Actually, it does. "Not able to enjoy this game to its fullest." You aren't meant to tame and breed all day. You're meant to do maps and kill SoD, farm gorgons, do the trenches.
Remember: Atlas is not Ark. Atlas is not a reskin of Ark.

I understand imprinted bears or tigers for maps and PvP, imprinted Razortooths for PvP. Literally everything else just needs to be tamed to be useful as possible. Breeding bigger and better giraffes or whatever is for pure pleasure (and a testament to why breeding them shouldn't have been enabled to begin with.)  If you derive your fun from being a dedicated breeder, cool. We need you. But, what I said still stands: breeding is not the focus of this game. If you arent "enjoying this game to the fullest" because you are focusing in breeding; a task with only minimal gains... that's on you; not the devs. 

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

13 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Actually, it does. "Not able to enjoy this game to its fullest." You aren't meant to tame and breed all day. You're meant to do maps and kill SoD, farm gorgons, do the trenches.

Remember: Atlas is not Ark. Atlas is not a reskin of Ark.

I understand imprinted bears or tigers for maps and PvP, imprinted Razortooths for PvP. Literally everything else just needs to be tamed to be useful as possible. Breeding bigger and better giraffes or whatever is for pure pleasure (and a testament to why breeding them shouldn't have been enabled to begin with.)  If you derive your fun from being a dedicated breeder, cool. We need you. But, what I said still stands: breeding is not the focus of this game. If you arent "enjoying this game to the fullest" because you are focusing in breeding; a task with only minimal gains... that's on you; not the devs. 

well thats YOUR opinion, you have no authority whatsoever to decide what the game was designed for, actually is quite arrogant to pretend you do.

• Like 1

As in Ark, breeding is not really difficult, but it is extremely time-consuming.

This leads me directly to the question of whether there is a table somewhere from which you can see the baby's feed consumption? Especially with carnivores I have bad experiences with leaving the babies alone before 10%. But I just don't have the time to take 5 hours a day.

Unfortunately, you really didn't learn anything from Ark at Atlas. A look at the many unofficial servers would have been enough. Almost no server uses the standard settings for breeding. When I think about the fact that you talked about half a year ago that you want to get the players from the land to the sea ... That won't work in any case.

I think the developers first need to be clear about what the player should actually do in this game. We are currently wasting about fifty percent of the time waiting for something.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

well thats YOUR opinion, you have no authority whatsoever to decide what the game was designed for, actually is quite arrogant to pretend you do. 

My words are taken straight from the devs, mate. This isn't Ark. Stop wasting time with breeding unless you are breeding for OP combat tames or income. Considering the devs intend to causalize and lower the amount of breeding and taming it's a futile and temporary endeavor with very little to gain.

This is a game about sailing.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

My words are taken straight from the devs, mate. This isn't Ark. Stop wasting time with breeding unless you are breeding for OP combat tames or income. Considering the devs intend to causalize and lower the amount of breeding and taming it's a futile and temporary endeavor with very little to gain.

Taken straight from the dev's eh! and carries about as much weight nowadays as your rantings do. 

The game might aim to be about sailing, but there is a good deal more to accomplish on land with tames, and that is made easier with good bred ones, be that fighting or farming and for  people to focus on that is just sensible, be that the dev's intent or not.

1 hour ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

your words reflect your personal interpretation of the devs words, all interpretation is biased by the personality of the interpreter hence i could read the same thing and interpret something different, in the end you coont tell someone how to play the game, it they can play it like that and want to play it like that they are entitled to do so.

Hell of a lot of subjective opinion tossed around as objective reality here. Making a game easier is not necessarily an improvement.

59 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

your words reflect your personal interpretation of the devs words, all interpretation is biased by the personality of the interpreter hence i could read the same thing and interpret something different, in the end you coont tell someone how to play the game, it they can play it like that and want to play it like that they are entitled to do so.

All of the actual content of the game is at sea, under the sea, or, requires you cross the sea to get to. If you focus on tinkering with your farm equipment all day you aren't going to have a very good time in this game. That's just how it is. It has nothing to do with me dictating to someone else how to play the game or "interpreting the devs words" get out of here with those mental gymnastics.

How else do you want me to say it? Breeding sucks, it's jive, its not funky fresh, breeding is not cash money, breeding blows chunks.

If you are playing this game to breed animals, you are going to have a bad time. Its a literal full time job to do that, on top of all the other upkeep.

You don't need to breed to enjoy this game to it's fullest. Breeding anything outside of bears, is largely for luxury/convenience. All of the actual content for a solo or PvE player in this game is done with cannons, carbines, and swords. Mind you, I'm an advocate for keeping mounts and tames in game, I like them too. I used to fall into the trap of breeding... not anymore.

So sorry it offends you both that I don't join the circlejerk about all the terrible things the devs do. Also, consider, I'm not really here to convince you, or any of the other people who just come here to complain; it serves people who are trying to enjoy this game to see posts that dissuade them from breeding or doing other un-fun activities that are gonna get nerfed and changed as time goes on.

Seriously, this is a simple thought process:

"I'm not having fun doing X"

"So don't do X"

:skull:

2 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Taken straight from the dev's eh! and carries about as much weight nowadays as your rantings do. 

The game might aim to be about sailing, but there is a good deal more to accomplish on land with tames, and that is made easier with good bred ones, be that fighting or farming and for  people to focus on that is just sensible, be that the dev's intent or not.

It's not really... sensible... its a matter of mildly increased convenience later at the cost of major inconvenience now. (Bears not withstanding)

Trust me... aside from kick ass battle bears (maybe a level capped crow) its NOT worth it when you really think about it. Take it from me, I just worked on a tiger breeding pen with its own HVAC system with levers and everything.

I've done 1000 hours of breeding at least: It's just not worth the set up and grind. Save yourself the boredom and frustration.

See, I think breeding is in a pretty good spot. Ofc you will need some time to figure things out but it's possible to build a breedingstation for many tames where the temperature is always perfect, so you don't need to do something than feeding and farming food. 

Just imprinting is the biggest problem. Is it necessary? Ofc not. Should it be hard? Maybe. Imprinting is something that need to change. Rest of the breeding is fine. 

39 minutes ago, Caine said:

See, I think breeding is in a pretty good spot. Ofc you will need some time to figure things out but it's possible to build a breedingstation for many tames where the temperature is always perfect, so you don't need to do something than feeding and farming food.  

If I had someone else besides myself dedicated to farming meat and salt, I'd be breeding out the wazoo too. But, like I said, Ive come to realize after not doing much of it this season it's not important, and frankly distracting. Its a good side-job or downtime activity to get, as I mentioned: moderate gains. I totally get it for dedicated breeding as a source of income or as part of a war effort.

Again tho: this isn't Ark, it's Atlas lol. Our tames are just farm equipment and disposable fuzzy soldiers, not the name of the game like they are in Ark.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

14 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

If I had someone else besides myself dedicated to farming meat and salt, I'd be breeding out the wazoo too. But, like I said, Ive come to realize after not doing much of it this season it's not important, and frankly distracting. Its a good side-job or downtime activity to get, as I mentioned: moderate gains. I totally get it for dedicated breeding as a source of income or as part of a war effort.

Again tho: this isn't Ark, it's Atlas lol. Our tames are just farm equipment and disposable fuzzy soldiers, not the name of the game like they are in Ark.

It's just like pokémon. People like things like that, me too. It's part of Atlas and I think it's important for most of the people. In PvP they are necessary for land pvp and in PvE for farming and trading. It will always be a big part of the game but I do not disagree that Atlas needs a fix for the sea-feature. Atlas is pretty boring actually when it comes to pirate/sea stuff. The content in its current form is too small. You shouldn't take tames and breeding away from the people but the Devs need to make things more attractive like using your ship or make PvP less pain in the ass and more interesting to do it on sea. 

Edited by Caine

8 minutes ago, Caine said:

It's just like pokémon. People like things like that, me too. It's part of Atlas and I think it's important for most of the people. In PvP they are necessary for land pvp and in PvE for farming and trading. It will always be a big part of the game but I do not disagree that Atlas needs a fix for the sea-feature. Atlas is pretty boring actually when it comes to pirate/sea stuff. The content in its current form is too small. You shouldn't take tames and breeding away from the people but the Devs need to make things more attractive like using your ship or make PvP less pain in the ass and more interesting to do it on sea. 

I feel like tames need to take more of a role like hunter pets in WoW. Still breedable/ridable mind you, but... more permanent, more personal, resurrectable. It would make the need too have hundreds of tames on PvP pointless, make getting wiped sting less, maps would be easier, you could summon them in dungeons.... it would be more in-line with other MMOs.

Its just a good idea all around.

Oh! No need to crowd ships with tames that fall off decks... shit. Its a solution to SOOO many problems.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

6 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

I feel like tames need to take more of a role like hunter pets in WoW. Still breedable/ridable mind you, but... more permanent, more personal, resurrectable. It would make the need too have hundreds of tames on PvP pointless, make getting wiped sting less, maps would be easier, you could summon them in dungeons.... it would be more in-line with other MMOs.

Its just a good idea all around.

Oh! No need to crowd ships with tames that fall off decks... shit. Its a solution to SOOO many problems.

Losing high-tames is frustrating af. To summon and ressurect them through Beastmaster would be nice. So it's pretty worth to breed but also not necessary to breed thousands of tames. But it should've a very high CD to ressurect them.