Neolord

STOP HATING ON ATLAS!!!

Dear Pathfinder's

A message to those hating on Atlas, Ya'll need to chill out. So what if it's ARK copied & pasted the Creators of Atlas can do whatever they Like, THE OWN BOTH GAMES DAMNIT. Yeah so Atlas is buggy and glitches all the time but to be honest wasn't ARK Survival Evolved the same when it first released for Early Access 4 - 5 Years ago and just look at it now. Atlas is Exactly like ARK was all those years ago, Broken. Heck I bet in a few years every single person who hated on Atlas when it first released will eat their words and completely regret downing the game. Tbh at least it's better than Sea Of Thieves but that is my personal opinion. Anyway just give the game a chance to prove it's worth something as it literally just released. You can't honesty expect Wildcard to have 100% Fixed Every, Single, Bug in the span of a few weeks, right? I mean no offence to the company but you don't really have the best track record when it comes to deadlines. Look all I'm trying to say is actually give the game a chance, I Am.

• Like 6

Great game. When I’m done basebuilding I’m going to have tons of fun in naval pve/pvp.

fighting SODs is like mini chess games on water. Love it

• Like 2

The problem is that you are beating dead horses.  Most of the people enjoying it dont come here much.  The people here are here mostly to vent and you telling them to suck it up is just salt in a wound.

Personally I'm mostly enjoying it but at the same time I see why people are complaining.  Consider this... if people dont complain what will the devs think?  Its because of us testers pushing back that some necessary bugs are fixed.  It's up to the devs to weed thru the legit complaints to fix things that are necessary and also to stick to thier original plan for the game.

I guess what I'm saying is that your complaining about complainers is actually the least helpful thing for a game.  These forums and the complainers are necessary.

We are Early Access participants... aka Alpha testers.  You expect testers to just shut up and play?   Silly advice in my opinion.

Edited by Dorf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm genuinely enjoying the game for the most part, though I'll enjoy it more once they fix the issues with Linux servers so I can get my private server up.

4 hours ago, Dorf said:

The problem is that you are beating dead horses.  Most of the people enjoying it dont come here much.  The people here are here mostly to vent and you telling them to suck it up is just salt in a wound.

Personally I'm mostly enjoying it but at the same time I see why people are complaining.  Consider this... if people dont complain what will the devs think?  Its because of us testers pushing back that some necessary bugs are fixed.  It's up to the devs to weed thru the legit complaints to fix things that are necessary and also to stick to thier original plan for the game.

I guess what I'm saying is that your complaining about complainers is actually the least helpful thing for a game.  These forums and the complainers are necessary.

We are Early Access participants... aka Alpha testers.  You expect testers to just shut up and play?   Silly advice in my opinion.

It's also up to the players to submit "official" bug reports AND proof, if possible.  If an issue isn't in the tracking system it won't be prioritized to be fixed.

Devs are under no obligation to cruise the forums, which is a monumental waste of time that could be better used doing something else, like developing.

I can personally spend all day here because I am nearly retired AND disabled... Got nothing better to do.

Edited by Hambo

1 minute ago, Hambo said:

It's also up to the players to submit "official" bug reports AND proof, if possible.  If an issue isn't in the tracking system it won't be prioritized to be fixed.

Agreed.  But they also check the forums so posting in both areas isn't a bad idea 🙂

2 minutes ago, Dorf said:

Agreed.  But they also check the forums so posting in both areas isn't a bad idea 🙂

As someone who has worked in a ticket based service industry (IT) take it from me... You can't bill time against a forum post, or in my old situation, a verbal request.  There needs to be a ticket. :classic_cool:

I doubt the devs work on a billable ticket based system.  I'm pretty sure they are just working 🙂  I too worked in a ticket based it dept 😉

Edited by Dorf

7 hours ago, Hambo said:

Devs are under no obligation to cruise the forums, which is a monumental waste of time that could be better used doing something else, like developing.

I can personally spend all day here because I am nearly retired AND disabled... Got nothing better to do.

That is one way, but making a post on the forums, stating what happened is also legit feedback, because it allows others to chime in and state that it has happened to them also.  And not everyone had the foresight to have Shadowplay running, or take a screenshot.  Sometimes the bug smacks you in the face when you were not expecting it, and by the time you figured out what happened, it's too late to get proof.

Plus, not everything is a bug that requires a ticket.  Some are "features" that need to not be features.  For instance, the out of control predators, and Alphas...that wasn't a bug...that was a silly Dev decision, and they needed to be called on it.  I do not know if they fixed it or not, as I am playing on a 5x5 unofficial PvP that seems to be well run...Booty Bay.  I do not know if the more sane numbers of predators, and Alphas, is their doing, or the Devs.  I suppose I could go play on official again, to see what is going on there.

They just removed one of the main means people use to deal with alphas while leaving them untouched.

9 minutes ago, Senkoau said:

They just removed one of the main means people use to deal with alphas while leaving them untouched.

How so?

One way you guys can deal with them is to create traps near where you do most of your work.  3x3 is enough...one or two walls high...we used one wall...and ramps all around.  Put several campfires inside, and keep them burning.  You see an Alpha...kite it into the trap, and watch it burn.  You can get XP by shooting arrows, or bullets at it, and a well timed shot gets the kill, so even more XP.   Don't need the XP?  Just let the fires do the work.   Stone works best...wood you will need to repair often.

Which is fine if your working somewhere consistently like your base (I actually have several set up there) or are high enough level to have specced into wood/stone (not everyone has) but if you're just visiting an isle to look for whether it has a new type (straw, jute, fronds) you can't exactly carry a full pen plus fires and wood for when you run into an alpha especially if it's a resource like gems or crystal or stone that are heavy. Before if you survived the initial attack you could scramble up high and either kill/drive it off now best you can hope for is to kite it away with regular feedings of your body. Passive ones aren't so bad if you take a little care but aggressive ones like snakes, tigers, crocks can make an area a no go area till they despawn or you waste time trying to build a short term pen for them. Which doesn't even address the issue of multiple alphas which happens a lot or them ignoring you to attack your base as has happened to me even with normal animals like a wolf I killed while it completely ignored my filling it with arrows so it could eat my water barrel instead.

Edited by Senkoau

3 minutes ago, Senkoau said:

Which is fine if your working somewhere consistently like your base (I actually have several set up there) but if you're just visiting an isle to look for whether it has a new type (straw, jute, fronds) you can't exactly carry a full pen plus fires and wood for when you run into an alpha especially if it's a resource like gems or crystal or stone that are heavy. Before if you survived the initial attack you could scramble up high and either kill/drive it off now best you can hope for is to kite it away with regular feedings of your body. Passive ones aren't so bad if you take a little care but aggressive ones like snakes, tigers, crocks can make an area a no go area till they despawn or you waste time trying to build a shirt for them.

This is why I like unofficial.  Our server owner has toned this nonsense down.  It makes the game much more enjoyable.  We do have an occasional Alpha make it's way into our area, but not that often, and he also toned down the number of predators overall.  Before he did this, I saw so many Crocs on the beach of a tropical island, that it was foolish to even think of landing there.  Now, beaches often only have one or two Crocs in an area.  You can easily make it to shore, if you are of a mind to.   Seriously, I don't understand why you people put yourselves through the idiocy that is Official.  Why?  Ego?  You think you won't be respected for playing on unofficial?  You think it only counts if it's on official?  Who cares?  Play the game for enjoyment, and forget about the rest of the BS.  Leaderboards are for people who have nothing good going on in their life, and need validation.

In one of the Navy Squadrons I was in, VF-2, now VFA-2, Bounty Hunters, the Squadron Motto was, "If you aren't having fun, you aren't doing it right."  Makes even more sense when applied to gaming.

I was going to say LTP if you can't deal with Alphas, but that already derailed the thread so I'll just agree with the OP... the game is great, we're having a ball. It's the best $25 I've spent in a long time.

Z

Why would you want it to be impossible to die in a survival game, no Alpha's and you are living in care bear land, if there is zero risk it will just become boring, just do scouts on your combat animal before you start farming and deal with any threats, you might lose a tame every now and then but this just adds suspense.

So far I have lost 2 elephants and I'm on my 3rd at the moment, both to Alpha's and both times I was being Lazy and didn't scout first, its annoying when you live so far from their spawn area too but without that risk it would become boring fast.

I'm enjoying the game too and was well worth the amount spent on it, I'm looking forward to the content they are planning and they do seem to be listening but we just have to accept some changes/fixes take time, its what we signed up to with EA after all.

With a few exceptions, no one is hating on the game. People are just getting frustrated with the lack of communication around, well, damn near anything. Fixes for exploits, fixes for severe balance issues, the majority of the 'fixes' being half-assed implementations like the boat-skating issue that just bring about more issues, or fire arrows being nerfed into absolute uselessness.

We are Early Access players, essentially Alpha testers. our feedback is to be expected, and it would be nice if it was at least acknowledged. We're the people who say Hey guys, this is broke, or this isn't working as intended, or this mechanic makes no sense as implemented. Its a whole helluva lot easier to implement a lot of fixes to basic stuff early on, than 6-12 months farther into development, when there are other systems that are implemented on top of broken systems and everything needs a complete overhaul.

People need to stop getting so defensive over anyone bringing up things that need to be fixed. Very few people post just to bitch and whine, they want to bring issues to the dev's attention. Some of them huge issues, some of them minor issues, but imo, any issue that can be fixed now is better in the long run.

The issue with the lack of dev communication is whats causing the multiple posts about the same issues, over and over. No one sees that any of the previous 30 posts on the topic have ever been acknowledged, so they decided to post another thread about it, because maybe -this- will be the one that gets a response. Hell, with the elephant weight reduction on wood, it took 1 guy talking to one of the devs on discord, to find out both -why- it was happening, and for them to offer a suggestion for the across the board carry weight buff. Everyone won, after a dozen posts in 20 minutes complaining about the nerf. Communication saves time, and a whole lot of anger.

The real thing that has me annoyed is when people call ATLAS "ARK Of Thieves" Just because it has Assets from ARK Survival Evolved and Looks like Sea Of Thieves that's just like calling Dark & Light "ARK & Light".

20 hours ago, Zhoutai said:

Why would you want it to be impossible to die in a survival game, no Alpha's and you are living in care bear land, if there is zero risk it will just become boring, just do scouts on your combat animal before you start farming and deal with any threats, you might lose a tame every now and then but this just adds suspense.

So far I have lost 2 elephants and I'm on my 3rd at the moment, both to Alpha's and both times I was being Lazy and didn't scout first, its annoying when you live so far from their spawn area too but without that risk it would become boring fast.

Dumb.  Really dumb.  On an island we were playing on, you have a lot of mountains and valleys.  A large island.  You had to travel a fair distance to get to fiber, for instance, and many other resources.  The fiber was in the junction where 4 valleys met.  Even if you scouted ahead, before taking your bear there, the Alphas and other predators would show up very quickly.  Wolves, lions, and Snakes, both Alpha, and not, would show up, and do so quickly.  They are fast, and cover a lot of territory, fast, cover a lot of ground, and they ignore other creatures once they spot you.  We had a claim on this area, so we built a trap with small gates, spread apart enough for a person to slip between the gates.  We could hide a bear in there if an Alpha came into sight.  But you didn't always have warnings, as the terrain is not flat.  To be safe, you needed a lookout higher up to spot the alpha, or group of predators, giving you time to get into the trap with the bear.  Fine for us.  But what about others, who did not own this land?  What if they are just passing through, from another island, trying to get different resources for the blueprints?  You can scout ahead, but Alphas can be on you very quickly.  They don't sit in one spot waiting for you to happen upon you. They move from one kill to the next, and kill quickly, and thus cover a lot of territory.  We would often see something like a level 50 or 60 wolf in an area, then go get what we needed to tame it, and when we got back to that area, the wolf is nowhere to be seen.  So you look for it, and find it a very long way from that area.

This simply shows that this game cannot be a one size fits all type of game.  Sure, if we were a company of 500 people, we could send 50 people on the fiber run, with 50 bears.  We would be done fast, and in a position to deal with any Alphas that came along, and do so very easily.  A Company of 25 people, with ten online at the time...they are going to find it very frustrating.  Most of those people aren't going to be forced into large companies.  They will find a game that they and their friends can play together, and find success in.  Simple as that.  If they don't find a way to offer a challenge to big companies, while also allowing small companies to succeed, this game will end up with a niche following of a dozen Mega Companies.

What you will also find is that the majority of gamers are not hardcore games, and so they are NOT looking for every single aspect of the game to be a hardcore experience.  Make everything hardcore, and you will again, cause the game to be a niche game.  Most people have an hour or two to game each night, and they want to feel like they made some progress on most nights.  Luckily, I play on an unofficial, and the owner toned down the predators, and Alphas.  Before this was done, I can assure you that I was about to leave the game.  I actually recognized the unhealthy stress I was experiencing at that fiber site.  I was literally feeling something similar to PTSD from so many trips to that location, because the predators were constant, and many of them were Alphas.  I spent more time trying to recover my tools, armor and weapons, than I spent actually gathering the fiber.  I have watched what happens in many "survival" games...such as 7 Days to Die, ARK, Atlas, DayZ, Rust, The Forest...and what you find is that most players don't actually like the survival aspect of the game.  Why do I say that?  because eventually, the unofficial servers dwarf the official servers, and the first things people do is make modifications to tone down the survival aspect.  What you find is that people are OK with things being a struggle at first, but they want to be able to work past those.  Take cold for instance.  People want to eventually be able to create fur armor that keeps them warm, to the point that the cold is no longer an issue to them.  Food...water...etc...  Yeah, in the beginning they want it to be a struggle, but they want to be able to work up to a point that they can relax on that stuff.  What I find is that they expect to struggle, be able to work past that...advance, and then move on to something adventurous.  They don't want to be fighting hunger and thirst 24/7/365 for the life of the game.  If that's all the game offers...an endless string of chores that have to be constantly done to keep your character alive, so that it can do more chores...the game loses appeal to them.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

18 hours ago, Neolord said:

The real thing that has me annoyed is when people call ATLAS "ARK Of Thieves" Just because it has Assets from ARK Survival Evolved and Looks like Sea Of Thieves that's just like calling Dark & Light "ARK & Light".

I think the reason they do that is because most people assumed, given the trailer, that it was very different from ARK.  And, it is just low hanging fruit for them to point at to vent their real frustrations, which if they express, cause others to try to shame them.  People did this with Mass Effect Andromeda.  The animations were only one small aspect of what had them angered, as fans, but it was easy to point to the animations as the primary cause.  The real cause of their anger actually had very little to do with the animations.  The proof?  The animations were fixed fairly quickly, but the anger continued.  The real reason was mostly because of SJW.  That, and a shift away from a good story being the focus, an more emphasis on combat.  The dialogue was pathetic as was the story.  Mass Effect made sense.  You learn in the opening scene why Shepard is going to be the hero of the story. They say it all..."he's the best we've got."  MEA?  The whole premise was BS.  First, you have a pathfinder, but you are late to the party, so no paths to find.  But the position is supposed to be the key to the survival of the colony.  But it's just one man?  Baloney.  It would have been a fairly good sized group of people to do that, with protocols.  Like 25 people, two groups of 12 with a CO.  And only one leader ashore at a time.  Instead, we have an unproven person taking over the job because it was their dad's job.  I mean, seriously?  That is just the tip of the iceberg on how bad that effort was.  It was bad to the core, but to hear people talk in the beginning, you would think it was all about the animations.

Same here...you have to look deeper at what has people upset.  I think you will find that people, by and large, weren't really looking for a grindy survival game as much as they were looking for an adventure game.  Sailing ships and Pirates evoke an image of adventure, not grindy survival, but the game does everything it can to keep you off the water.  For instance, fighting an endless and constant streams predators that quickly stop enhancing your experience, and cause you to feel frustrated.  Especially considering how little resources you can carry.  In short, they want to build a ship and get on the water, and seek out adventure, not have to battle so many lions and wolves and snakes.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:25 AM, Neolord said:

Dear Pathfinder's

A message to those hating on Atlas, Ya'll need to chill out. So what if it's ARK copied & pasted the Creators of Atlas can do whatever they Like, THE OWN BOTH GAMES DAMNIT. Yeah so Atlas is buggy and glitches all the time but to be honest wasn't ARK Survival Evolved the same when it first released for Early Access 4 - 5 Years ago and just look at it now. Atlas is Exactly like ARK was all those years ago, Broken. Heck I bet in a few years every single person who hated on Atlas when it first released will eat their words and completely regret downing the game. Tbh at least it's better than Sea Of Thieves but that is my personal opinion. Anyway just give the game a chance to prove it's worth something as it literally just released. You can't honesty expect Wildcard to have 100% Fixed Every, Single, Bug in the span of a few weeks, right? I mean no offence to the company but you don't really have the best track record when it comes to deadlines. Look all I'm trying to say is actually give the game a chance, I Am.

Snail games bought out ark. Snail games owns ark. So technically they are copying what another company owns.

people  don’t hate atlas, they hate how the dev company conducts themselves. Very justified in any circumstance 

Edited by Realist

On 1/23/2019 at 10:47 AM, Dorf said:

I like the game and find parts frustration as fuck enough to complain. What's your point?

10 minutes ago, gadefence said:

I like the game and find parts frustration as fuck enough to complain. What's your point?

You quoted my points...

Reading comprehension is a worthy skill to acquire.

I actually said complainers are necessary.  Complaining about complaining is silly.  Learn to read.  Sheeesh

Edited by Dorf
  • Like 1

Im enjoying this Game .

Playing very hours/day . Enjoying PvP , commerce. 

The Game is the best idea I found in a mmo

• Like 1

I love the game. I mostly lose stuff due to my own stupidity. I suspect this game will continue and will be massive in the future.

• Like 1

An example: WC changet the weight of the animals. Something went wrong and for not 24h u was able to carry more weights, than an elephant. 

During these ~24h, so many people left the game and hatet around like bosses in several threats. 

So, these impatient peoples, full of hate and stupidity - will u miss em or are we glad to sail around with an amount of dumb kiddies less who claim to hate around? 

If u ask me: I can imagine, there are better neighbors than them 😉

Jm2c