Rogue

Cliff bases - Height restriction.

I have found loads of unclaimed land on top of cliffs.  You can build structures on the mountains fine.  However though your able to build cliff platforms at any height.  You cannot actually build on the platforms, due to height restrictions.  Your unable to connect the platform to the floor.  When reading the description.  Platform are classed as foundations.  So why can't I build from the platform?

1 hour ago, Rogue said:

I have found loads of unclaimed land on top of cliffs.  You can build structures on the mountains fine.  However though your able to build cliff platforms at any height.  You cannot actually build on the platforms, due to height restrictions.  Your unable to connect the platform to the floor.  When reading the description.  Platform are classed as foundations.  So why can't I build from the platform?

I encountered this same phenomena. I am guessing based on this restriction plus the fact that the tops of spires are as nearly as I can find always covered with undulating brush that can’t be cleared and would therefore be irritating if you tried to build there, that the devs don’t want people to build up high despite making it theoretically possible. What I have discovered is that if you build platforms up the side of a spire, it isn’t until you get near the top that you can’t build on them due to the height restriction. However, lower is almost always inside someone else’s claim, so I really don’t know what the devs intentions are with these areas.

The ray trace to determine a buildable location is straight down to nearest terrain (not nearest foundation).

If part of your cliff platform, foundation, or structure is more than 65 building units above terrain, you can't build on those parts. That seems really high, but there are lots of islands with 100+ high mesas and overhangs.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:32 PM, Sleepinator2000 said:

The ray trace to determine a buildable location is straight down to nearest terrain (not nearest foundation).

If part of your cliff platform, foundation, or structure is more than 65 building units above terrain, you can't build on those parts. That seems really high, but there are lots of islands with 100+ high mesas and overhangs.

Finding this out was one of my earliest disappointments with Atlas. Huge mesas you can’t build on....yaaaaaaaay.

I'm sure they didn't think about that. It's not because the devs don't want you to build up there. They just don't think as this far and choosed the easy way. It's not the first thread about that issue. I think rewriting the code is a too big challenge, just for building up on the mesas. That's why they never changed it and surely never will.

Maybe you can hope for a mod.

I am sure that rendering a contiguous building taller or wider than the render range puts a serious strain on their implementation of the engine, so it probably wasn't an oversight.