Sovereign Snow

freeport Delay The Freeport Accelerated Ship Decay

• Player Shops
  • NPC Crewmates
  • Cosmetics
  • New Players
  • Meet/Hire Player Crewmates
  • Resources

All of the above are reasons why the Accelerated Ship Decay should be delayed in Freeport Regions. From the moment you enter a Freeport Region, your ship begins to take a percent amount of damage every 10 or so minutes. My Brig was at full HP on all planks before entering the Freeport Region. By the time I made it to the Freeport island and anchored, my Brig had taken 400 points of damage on ALL hull planks. If players are going to be going to Freeport regions more often to buy and sell items and Player Shops, buy cosmetics for their ships, hire crew members and meet new players... they should not be forced to leave the Freeport region ASAP. The accelerated ship decay should START roughly an hour or two after entering a Freeport Region.

That being said... 

I understand why there is Accelerated Ship Decay in Freeport Regions. This is to reduce lag and reduce clutter in these Freeport Regions. Players should not be clogging the place up with ships and campfires and bodies lying around everywhere, like we saw on Day 1. But if we are to be visiting Freeport towns more often because of the new content coming, like player shops... we should not be immediately penalized for entering these regions.

Alternatively... @Argh!

• Pay mooring fees to anchor in a Freeport... an hourly (gold) rate allows for (an amount of time) in the Freeport. If you need to stay overnight due to unforeseen circumstance you will not return to a scuttled ship as long as you either prepay the "Dock Purser" or have the funds in a resource box on your ship -- Also limit this to any ship above the Ramshackle Sloop...
Edited by Sovereign Snow
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I think a ship should be treated like a claim type entity. As long as an ACTIVE owner is within a certain circumference it delays damage up to maybe 30 mins or so just to take in consideration  of a disconnect or something.

• Like 4

Agree. I tend to avoid freeports right now like the plegue just to not deal with extra damage. 

I get why it's a thing, they don't want people using the freeports as a safe place to store their ships. But the fast rate of decay also makes it hard on new players.
The fact that if you die in a freeport, you lose everything, you have no body to recover items makes it very rough, and makes you want to get a raft (or a sloop now) asap to get storage to hold what you gather. But you end up wasting so much time and resources repairing that darn thing that you end up taking longer to get what you need to be prepped to leave.

I say the decay should be there, but it should be rapidly slowed down so long as the player is IN said freeport. If they log out, THEN start the rapid decay. The decay isn't so bad that if you got DCed you wont be down that much health by the time you get back. 

This way players that are there, active, want to buy stuff, don't have to be in a mad dash rush to get what they want and get out of town fast. It also gives new players some breathing room to gather up extra supplies to survive the open waters with out wasting most of what they get repairing their starter ship. 

I already saw a galleon roll in and players making a mad dash to buy crew and get out asap, to the point they miscounted and bought too many and nearly sunk their ship by over crewing it. They had to leave a small batch behind as they left. Cue the fun when the abandoned crew turned hostile due to no food/payment. 

Edited by Taiine
  • Like 2

Another option would be to pay mooring fees to anchor in a Freeport... this does not preclude having a delay on the timer.

an hourly (gold) rate allows for (an amount of time) in the Freeport. 
If you need to stay overnight due to unforeseen circumstance you will not return to a scuttled ship as long as you either prepay the "Dock Purser" or have the funds in a resource box on your ship -- Also limit this to any ship above the Ramshackle Sloop...

these days this is a pretty much non-issue, as the Freeports are mostly empty.
This definitely needs addressed before the merchant updates are put in place.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Argh! said:

Another option would be to pay mooring fees to anchor in a Freeport... this does not preclude having a delay on the timer.

an hourly (gold) rate allows for (an amount of time) in the Freeport. 
If you need to stay overnight due to unforeseen circumstance you will not return to a scuttled ship as long as you either prepay the "Dock Purser" or have the funds in a resource box on your ship -- Also limit this to any ship above the Ramshackle Sloop...

these days this is a pretty much non-issue, as the Freeports are mostly empty.
This definitely needs addressed before the merchant updates are put in place.

This would be nice, but also make it very costly and vary based on ship size to also help avoid people who have a lot of coin to spare from taking advantage of freeports. 

This payment thing, + only have the rapid decay if you're not actively logged in (because the decay starts as soon as your in the zone, not just parked at a freeport) would be a good fix. 

• Like 1

Couple reasons why people visiting Freeport.

1. Is to farm materials

2. To make sloop and travel somewhere

3. New players

4. Planning add the Player shop

When they are going to add shops so we are going to see more players in Freeport. I don't how server are going able to handle this? Why players can't do  Player Shops in their land. It would be more diversity islands, unique building and other interesting things to see.

Edited by Robotukas
  • Like 1

I lost a newly built galleon due to the freeport decay. Obviously I did not know about "freeport decay" because players are not warned clearly about it. And to be clear .... I left the galleon in a freeport zone because I was forced to do so. I planned to leave the next day ... but no.

However I fully agree with the idea. I thought about the mooring fee too 👍

• Like 1

once shops become a thing it may take players awhile to make it to the city if they become crowded, they need to ease up on the decay, maybe after 2 hours.  Pubs, and other businesses might come into play for players from other sectors to hang out, the decay would feel like a punishment to a point.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:48 AM, Sovereign Snow said:

Alternatively... @Argh!

• Pay mooring fees to anchor in a Freeport... an hourly (gold) rate allows for (an amount of time) in the Freeport. If you need to stay overnight due to unforeseen circumstance you will not return to a scuttled ship as long as you either prepay the "Dock Purser" or have the funds in a resource box on your ship -- Also limit this to any ship above the Ramshackle Sloop...

I love this idea, I really want to be able to leave a ship somewhere safe.. if it costs me a ton, so be it! I can treasure hunt for the gold, no problem at all!

On 1/29/2019 at 2:52 AM, Cpt Al3storm said:

I lost a newly built galleon due to the freeport decay. Obviously I did not know about "freeport decay" because players are not warned clearly about it. And to be clear .... I left the galleon in a freeport zone because I was forced to do so. I planned to leave the next day ... but no.

However I fully agree with the idea. I thought about the mooring fee too 👍

Ouch -- a Galleon!! We lost our first fully outfitted sloop to the same thing. Went to Freeport to get crew, and had to log out for the night because of an update... No warning (of any kind), just woke up in Freeport with nothing. A Galleon's gotta hurt... 😐

• Sad 1

A mooring fee is something I could agree with but make it decently expensive and bases on ship type. The reasons for the high decay aren't just to deal with ship spam, it's also to discourage players ducking PVP by leaving their ships in a freeport.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

A mooring fee is something I could agree with but make it decently expensive and bases on ship type. The reasons for the high decay aren't just to deal with ship spam, it's also to discourage players ducking PVP by leaving their ships in a freeport.

An interesting consideration @Bullet Force -- I have mostly played PVE where this is not an issue. Ultimately each game mode may need its own set of rules (PVP vs PVE).

One of the reason I don't like PVP is that there is no respite. Especially in games like this (Rust, Ark, Atlas). for many of us, real life often intercedes, and it would be nice to know that you can safely hole up for a period of time while the storm passes.

It sounds like there might be an argument for a "Safe Harbor" concept in this game; whether it's Freeport, or player owned -- There are legitimate reasons to duck out of PVP. To your point, It shouldn't become an exploit...

<personal preference> I think narrowly escaping death on a PVP server by making a run for safety is part of the thrill. Given how big the overall map is, the idea of escaping to a Freeport or player run "Safe Harbor" naturally makes areas further from these more dangerous, and prone to piracy. it's never fun to just get steamrolled by a superior force with no place to hide, but it is fun to gear-up, party up, and run through a known "danger zone" when it's your idea.

Interesting point and worth discussion! 💭

In the end this game is attempting to be an MMO, and there are certain tropes that improve the quality of life and longevity of a player base. One of those, is building mechanics that allow people to have a life outside the game. Without a diverse and thriving player base, this game is dead in the water...  Ark and Rust lost a good portion of the non-hardcore players to this very problem. This is something WoW got right, and the game is still going 15 years later. (FYI I'm not comparing this game to WoW, just using them as a model of how to engender a strong community)

Thoughts?

• Like 1

or better yet make dedicated starting zones and different zones for selling/trading.... some nice ones some black market pirate styled ones

• Like 1

Damaging your ship to get you the hell out of there is fine, (smooth sailing!). Because, if you have a crew you are paying them GOLD to upkeep the ship. It should be database storage whereas you pay to log off, if you get logged off for 20 minutes or so your 'ship/STUFF', you pay to retrieve your ship/stuff. 

Script example

The player goes offline but but stores ship and all within go with.

(schooner) fmcrew; mcrew; elephant; cow; monkeysUncle; chicken; ect; ect,

(chest) gold1400; wood12000; metal831, 

(foodbag) tomato1023; hamberger; milk; loadedpizzaforDevs; ect; ect,

If say a player or ALL players leave ship filled with items disconnected whether voluntarily or not, the company pays to retrieve stored items above via bank or some ship box somewhere or can pay total gold for a max of 120 hours =FIVE DAYS. This would allow for the retrieval of payment to be satisfied, argh!

I am confident they'll do something like this. It is prerelease so they have a lot of things to address. Sure they'll move this one across there deck and not leave it for swobbing argh!

Edited by Jay8454

i like the idea to mooring fees. But limit it no more that 24 hrs per week. This would then stop people permanently living in freeports.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, Sovereign Snow said:

Alternatively... @Argh!

I very do like this idea. Me and my friends were talking about this idea many times since pretty much every two weeks i gather all the trasure maps and i prepare for us one huge trip which usually takes over 12hrs... and since I´m the Captain on these trips i usually end up anchoring in some freeport because we really need to get some sleep from time to time and with fully loaded ship it takes a "while" (4-6hrs) just to get back home. And i really would love pay some gold so that we may stay anchored before we wake up. Please that idea is briliant and i look forward if this will be applied in the game.

• Like 1

a simple fix would to only damage offline players....  so people dont park there who are not doing work....

if u are there and online u shouldnt be punished for it

• Like 1

Just make “flags” on people that are pvp.

in other words if you engage in PvP in your ship you are flagged for a specified amount of time.  That way if they try to hide in a Freeport they become an open target.

Bounty hunting would take on a whole new meaning!

Just here to bump it up, even a short trip to get crew for my Galleon at a Freeport cost me hundreds of materials in repair, simply for being here.