Sign in to follow this  
J4dez

solo player

1 minute ago, LaiTash said:

There are many ways to prevent this, and many other games handle this quite well. Logout timers, safe zones, etc. The rules we have now discourage sailing and exploration and don't really improve PvP aspect of the game. Less people sailing - less naval PvP. Don't see how it's good for the game.

Logout timers never solved anything.   It just delays it.  

I dont know how many times after I had been part a big push to take a base we would have to deal with logged out characters logging in just to grief us in our newly captured base.  

Or returning to a game to find all of my stuff is gone AND I am trapped in someone else's base.

I'm thinking unofficial servers are going to be very popular for PVP when someone comes up with an offline protection mod.

It could be as simple as making a ship that is anchored invulnerable as long as no one is logged in and active on it.

This should prevent the player quickly logging out to avoid battle, since they would also need to be near shore to anchor and sea battles don't usually occur near shore.

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Logout timers never solved anything.   It just delays it.  

I dont know how many times after I had been part a big push to take a base we would have to deal with logged out characters logging in just to grief us in our newly captured base.  

Or returning to a game to find all of my stuff is gone AND I am trapped in someone else's base.

We're talking about ships, bases are kind of fine as they are now (even tho staying awake till 6AM just because some zerg tribe decides it would be nice to take over your island while you're probably asleep sucks).

There already is offline protection for ships... they are called AI defenders and proper planning.

I have sailed by some AMAZING defenses... some of which actually shot at me.   

As for a zerg company attacking you at 6AM your time.. well unfortunately the world is round and 6AM for you isnt 6AM for someone else.  Even when I worked nights I would be online when no one else was... I would attack when people werent commonly around.  Got to know a lot EU and AUS players because of that.   And further to my point if a big company decides they want your base, there isnt anything you can do even IF you are online... goes back to my old saying.. "The Army of one is great till the army of two or more show up."

10 minutes ago, Hodo said:

There already is offline protection for ships... they are called AI defenders and proper planning.

What can AI defenders do when i'm not even at the base? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, just looking for a way to be able to leave the home base for a few days and still be able to eat, work, and sleep.

Edited by LaiTash

11 minutes ago, Hodo said:

As for a zerg company attacking you at 6AM your time.. well unfortunately the world is round and 6AM for you isnt 6AM for someone else.  Even when I worked nights I would be online when no one else was... I would attack when people werent commonly around.  Got to know a lot EU and AUS players because of that.   And further to my point if a big company decides they want your base, there isnt anything you can do even IF you are online... goes back to my old saying.. "The Army of one is great till the army of two or more show up."

Well first of all we have NA and EU servers already which partially solves the timezones problem. And yes you can defend against a big tribe, at least that's what my experience was. So as i said bases and even ships at well-protected forts are sort of fine for small tribes at least (must suck terribly for solo players tho - but that's why we must be able to have mobile bases).

Edited by LaiTash

14 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

What can AI defenders do when i'm not even at the base? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, just looking for a way to be able to leave the home base for a few days and still be able to eat, work, and sleep.

We have AI defenders in gun towers, they will fire on ships not of your company (hostile ships).  And they are VERY accurate.  If you have swivel guns, they will fire on people on foot, again.. stupid accurate.    You just have to place them on the gun you want them to man, and give them commands on what you want them to target and how far they should target out to.  

You can also have them stand around and if you give them melee weapons they will attack people with those... poorly mind you but they will do it.   You need to have a food lodder to keep them fed, and have some kind of food in there.  Also you need to have a ship resources box so they can get paid from it, with coin in there.

13 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Well first of all we have NA and EU servers already which partially solves the timezones problem. And yes you can defend against a big tribe, at least that's what my experience was. So as i said bases and even ships at well-protected forts are sort of fine for small tribes at least (must suck terribly for solo players tho - but that's why we must be able to have mobile bases).

I play on the EU server and I am a NA player, I am there with about a dozen other NA players in my company alone.  We are there because we played other games together and learned that working with other timezone players makes for a better overall gaming experience.   It is a lot more fun when you login and find out the late shift has defeated an attack and is working to get you all ready to counter attack.   

25 minutes ago, Hodo said:

We have AI defenders in gun towers, they will fire on ships not of your company (hostile ships).  And they are VERY accurate.  If you have swivel guns, they will fire on people on foot, again.. stupid accurate.    You just have to place them on the gun you want them to man, and give them commands on what you want them to target and how far they should target out to. 

Once again i'm not talking about ships at home bases where you can have gun towers and ship pens. 

9 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Once again i'm not talking about ships at home bases where you can have gun towers and ship pens. 

AI respond the same way on a ship as they do on land.  If you have them on guns and they are set to aggressive they will shoot ANY person or ship that comes close.  But again you have to build your ship with that in mind.

I have a Schooner built for defending against borders and it can do quite well at that.. unless someone decides to just shoot it with cannons from a distance.  

8 hours ago, Hodo said:

AI respond the same way on a ship as they do on land.  If you have them on guns and they are set to aggressive they will shoot ANY person or ship that comes close.  But again you have to build your ship with that in mind.

Ships are too fragile to effectively defend themselves with no player present. There's only so many cannons you can place on ships in only so many configurations. Setting AI to agressive mode will only provoke those who wanted to just pass by. You can't maneuver, you can't repair, can't replace planks, can't do anything. Even if there are no blind spots an AI-only controlled ship is an extremely easy target.  I wouldn't rely on that.

5 hours ago, LaiTash said:

Ships are too fragile to effectively defend themselves with no player present. There's only so many cannons you can place on ships in only so many configurations. Setting AI to agressive mode will only provoke those who wanted to just pass by. You can't maneuver, you can't repair, can't replace planks, can't do anything. Even if there are no blind spots an AI-only controlled ship is an extremely easy target.  I wouldn't rely on that.

Nothing is ever 100%, even if you have people online.   Just a fact of life.    It just takes effort, and practice.  Yes you may lose things, and you will lose ships, but hey that is the nature of the game.  Not like they are THAT hard to replace.  

On 1/23/2019 at 7:31 AM, Teach said:

Build a couple of layers of stone walls around your shipyard.

Yeah, good luck even trying this solo with todays changes if you do not live on a Sap/metal island...

- Stone Structures crafting costs have been increased by adding metal cost, and changing fiber requirement to organic paste, which requires both fiber and sap to craft

55 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Nothing is ever 100%, even if you have people online.   Just a fact of life.    It just takes effort, and practice.  Yes you may lose things, and you will lose ships, but hey that is the nature of the game.  Not like they are THAT hard to replace.  

Yes but you're GUARANTEED to loose a ship this way, unless you're sailing something people won't bother sinking.

10 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Yes but you're GUARANTEED to loose a ship this way, unless you're sailing something people won't bother sinking.

It's a game, and they are pixels.  You can replace them easily.  

On 1/23/2019 at 1:04 AM, J4dez said:

As I am mainly solo and building decent ship (schooner) is a feat itself right now my main issue is that how can I protect it after I need to log out and go to sleep? Certainly I can't dock it in freeports and all my schooners tend to sink while I am sleeping...is solo playing so dead? should I just move on to other games?

this game is not really for solo play you can do it on PVE servers but on PVP servers forget it not going to be able to. And as a solo player building a stone structure even a small one will be a real challange since they added mats to it that is in a high amount and can be very hard to get. (i.e. expensive) Also with the nerfing of stone and the huge buff to siege weapons Stone is not much better to wood the only benefit now seams to be that animals can not damage stone.

31 minutes ago, Hodo said:

It's a game, and they are pixels.  You can replace them easily.  

Yes but it means i can't sail long distances in the end. Because the voyage ends whenever i need to sleep.

3 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Yes but it means i can't sail long distances in the end. Because the voyage ends whenever i need to sleep.

I know it sucks for casual players, like myself, but that is the nature of games like this.

I was once a VERY hardcore sandbox gamer who could and would spend 20+ hours in a game at a time.  But now I am lucky if I can spend 3 hours at a time online any given day.

Furthest I have sailed has been 2 tiles in any one direction and back.   I would love to go further see more but I dont have the time.  Not with maintaining the base, the ships, my crew, and dealing with real life.