Sign in to follow this  
J4dez

solo player

As I am mainly solo and building decent ship (schooner) is a feat itself right now my main issue is that how can I protect it after I need to log out and go to sleep? Certainly I can't dock it in freeports and all my schooners tend to sink while I am sleeping...is solo playing so dead? should I just move on to other games?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, J4dez said:

As I am mainly solo and building decent ship (schooner) is a feat itself right now my main issue is that how can I protect it after I need to log out and go to sleep? Certainly I can't dock it in freeports and all my schooners tend to sink while I am sleeping...is solo playing so dead? should I just move on to other games?

You’re going to have a hard time on official pvp yes. Can’t say more, you can try to dock it somewhere safe but yeah, where is safe. 

27 minutes ago, J4dez said:

Build a couple of layers of stone walls around your shipyard.

Edited by Teach

1 hour ago, J4dez said:

The short answer is yes. Which makes me sad.

I was able to clock up hundreds of happy solo hours in Ark and other survival games. Beyond even the grind for resources being tough, the game regularily fucks you with Alpha animals, storms, Ships of the Dammed, 'Severly overweight Mandarin speaking gentlemen' (on PvE) etc that mean a constant churn of your tamed animals and built ships.

Add to that the fact that if you leave your base unattended to go actually sailing... some bastards can show up and steal your base... even on PvE. If you managed to snag a tiny corner of an island at launch, you can't leave the area for longer than the claim flag time. If you managed to claim two or more flags... you'll be back to 1 (the one you logged off in and are now sleeping in) next time you log in.

Factor the above in along with the fact that you NEED mutiple resources from other grids, for taming and crafting of blueprints etc...

It's a shit-show my friend. If you don't quit the game or join a large company... then Best of luck!

• Like 1

ARK is more solo friendly than Atlas, my metal rafts had a good survivability till Wildcard brought the stupid raft eating whales to troll even the last solo player away.

In ATLAS you can keep your ship in a freeport if 8 hours of sleep are sufficient for you. If not..byebye ship.

If you anchor your ship in front of your base : byebye ship

- free choice between grappling hook overweight exploiters, galleon broadside, land based cannons and tear jars/fire arrows

If you keep your ship somewhere in the ocean : byebye ship

- troll LOLOL Galleon passing by sinking you in one broadside. Why ? Because they can, just for fun

if you build a garage from large Stone gates for your ship :byebye ship

- a) grappling hook trolls climb above-> tear jar, fire arrow, game over

-b) lazy rich mega tribes dont want to climb, so a few boradsides till the gate is crushed...-> game over

In all cases you start as tree puncher in a freeport again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J4dez said:

Here is a fact...

They do not want solo or small group on this game so you answered your own question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talono said:

ARK is more solo friendly than Atlas, my metal rafts had a good survivability till Wildcard brought the stupid raft eating whales to troll even the last solo player away.

In ATLAS you can keep your ship in a freeport if 8 hours of sleep are sufficient for you. If not..byebye ship.

- free choice between grappling hook overweight exploiters, galleon broadside, land based cannons and tear jars/fire arrows

- troll LOLOL Galleon passing by sinking you in one broadside. Why ? Because they can, just for fun

-b) lazy rich mega tribes dont want to climb, so a few boradsides till the gate is crushed...-> game over

And there you have it! Grapeshot cast a very small net for the players they want and in the end thats a lot of money they will not be getting. Bad business 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talono said:

Beautifully summed up.  It's just so sad, really.  A Pirate game where nobody can leave their ship unattended for 30 seconds.

11 hours ago, J4dez said:

Like other have said, the official MMO servers are not for solo players. Most solo players play on unofficial servers, so yes, the game does support solo players, but just not on the official servers.

12 hours ago, J4dez said:

It is possible. but not going to be easy, and you will replace your ship pretty regularly. 

As much as many of the solo players hate me saying this, but why not join a company, and just make it clear to them you are a mostly solo player not looking to deal with the BS of a lot of the mega companies?

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

It is possible. but not going to be easy, and you will replace your ship pretty regularly. 

As much as many of the solo players hate me saying this, but why not join a company, and just make it clear to them you are a mostly solo player not looking to deal with the BS of a lot of the mega companies?

Yeah I was just cocidering that so now I need to find that decent company that let's me do such thing

17 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Because even companies can be griefed off a server...

Because you can be banned for the actions of one member of your company...

But most importantly, because everything belongs to the company. Even if you do convince them to let you play solo in a company, nothing is yours.

15 minutes ago, J4dez said:

Yeah I was just cocidering that so now I need to find that decent company that let's me do such thing

What server are you on?  I know for me and my small group we actually were attacked by the group we joined.. had some fun joking with them while we were fighting.  And actually decided that joining them would be better for both sides.  They are mostly EU players and we are mostly American (North and South).   

6 minutes ago, Hodo said:

What server are you on?  I know for me and my small group we actually were attacked by the group we joined.. had some fun joking with them while we were fighting.  And actually decided that joining them would be better for both sides.  They are mostly EU players and we are mostly American (North and South).   

I (we) are in eu server

2 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Because even companies can be griefed off a server...

Because you can be banned for the actions of one member of your company...

But most importantly, because everything belongs to the company. Even if you do convince them to let you play solo in a company, nothing is yours.

As for getting griefed off of the server.  That can happen no matter what sized company you are in.  If you let the little things get to you, then you shouldnt be online in a game like this.   As CCP says in Eve Online, HTFU.

As for the idiot who got his whole company banned, there is more to that story than is let on I am sure.

11 minutes ago, J4dez said:

I (we) are in eu server

Best advice to go around and ask in local when you are in an area.  You may be surprised, there are quite a few companies that are looking for new members and willing to take in people.   Like I said about my company.  

I'm not even a solo player. I have a brig full of guns. It's sitting in my hangar waiting for enemies to come. I don't play a lot (because, job) so i can't sail for more than 1-2 servers a day and then i have to go back to the only place where my ship is relatively safe. Needless to say i'm not excited. I'd love to have some offline ship protection so that i could leave the stupid hangar for a few days and just explore the game world.

This is extremely disappointing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

I'm not even a solo player. I have a brig full of guns. It's sitting in my hangar waiting for enemies to come. I don't play a lot (because, job) so i can't sail for more than 1-2 servers a day and then i have to go back to the only place where my ship is relatively safe. Needless to say i'm not excited. I'd love to have some offline ship protection so that i could leave the stupid hangar for a few days and just explore the game world.

This is extremely disappointing.

Fully agree with that as i am a casual solo player as well. Perfect solution would be to set freeports and lawless full PVE. Dont know how you protect your brig during the night, i tried the sleep-just-8-hours in freeport solution... my boss wont like that.

Edited by Talono

I play solo, but on the NA PvE server(s).  I have no issues with grieving.  I only struggle with claiming land, which I am hoping passes once the person I am going to take land from, dies.  He's not logged in for about 3 weeks now.  It seems he played hardcore for the first week and then quit.

If getting smoked by others when offline is an issue, then maybe you need to play on the PvE servers?

3 minutes ago, Tobekan said:

I play solo, but on the NA PvE server(s).  I have no issues with grieving.  I only struggle with claiming land, which I am hoping passes once the person I am going to take land from, dies.  He's not logged in for about 3 weeks now.  It seems he played hardcore for the first week and then quit.

If getting smoked by others when offline is an issue, then maybe you need to play on the PvE servers?

Yeh, PVE would be an idea.

12 hours ago, Talono said:

This is a total side note but I always found that the motorboats are fast enough on open water that Leeds got one hit in, then you outran them. If on a private server where you could tweak the correct ini setting, I made boats with enough turrets to kill them fast.

9 minutes ago, Tobekan said:

Well i'm on PvP server because i like PvP. PvP as in proper sea battles, with cannons shooting and all. It adds a certain risk to sailing, piracy and all. I just don't see why sinking ships while people are offline is considered PvP.

28 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Well i'm on PvP server because i like PvP. PvP as in proper sea battles, with cannons shooting and all. It adds a certain risk to sailing, piracy and all. I just don't see why sinking ships while people are offline is considered PvP.

I make fun of some of my company mates that go out and sink offline ships and call it PVP.   I call it easy kills, not PVP.   I stumbled across an offline player in a Ramshackle sloop last night, I decided to take a look at what he had, took some things I wanted, then sunk his ship...   I could have just left him but I figured I would teach him a lesson.. dont go offline in the center of the ocean.   

But I have been in a fair share of PVP fights with awake and fully capable defenders, and it has been fun both win and loss.   

18 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I could have just left him but I figured I would teach him a lesson.. dont go offline in the center of the ocean.   

Well that's the problem, you can't go offline basically anywhere but your base. That is if you have one.

That guy probably thought that middle of nowhere is the safest place to be.

20 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

Well that's the problem, you can't go offline basically anywhere but your base. That is if you have one.

That guy probably thought that middle of nowhere is the safest place to be.

You shouldnt be able to.  I actually like that.  It always drove me nuts in other games where people would magically vanish in an open field because they logged out or pulled the plug to keep from dying in a fight.   

This way you CANT do that.

13 minutes ago, Hodo said:

You shouldnt be able to.  I actually like that.  It always drove me nuts in other games where people would magically vanish in an open field because they logged out or pulled the plug to keep from dying in a fight.   

There are many ways to prevent this, and many other games handle this quite well. Logout timers, safe zones, etc. The rules we have now discourage sailing and exploration (which i believe was meant to be the main focus of the game) and don't really improve PvP aspect of the game. Less people sailing - less naval PvP. Don't see how it's good for the game.

Edited by LaiTash