Sign in to follow this  
Lukas1987

Structure limit on galleon..again ;)

I have great ideas to make my galleon looks fine but for such a big ship its dissapointment that i reach structure limit where 80% or more of ship is empty.I already demolished 2 of my gallon interior projects just to start something new,smaller and compact but even then i cant finish half of a deck. And there is like 4-5?

I dont know how this would affect pvp but if structure limit is removed and everything you put on ship is counted towards ship weight would be great deal.This would be fantastic feature for some roleplay on pve. 

Im getting kinda tired as this is my passion about this game and thinking about let it go for a while until they do something about that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The weight of structures is counted to the ship already. Also belive the limit is bcs the performance sucks ass on both ends and rendering such full galleon would be like a crash bomb for some ppl. However yes, can understand that being unable to fill that floating base might be irritating.

I miss my Raft castle in ARK. I just wanna build and have fun doing it. It's 99% of the reason I'm playing Atlas.

I know it already count towards ship weight,just did mentioned correctly. You might be right about render bomb but if our pc's are able to render 200 ships in FoY areas then a single galleon wouldn't be much of an issue

16 minutes ago, Lukas1987 said:

I know it already count towards ship weight,just did mentioned correctly. You might be right about render bomb but if our pc's are able to render 200 ships in FoY areas then a single galleon wouldn't be much of an issue

We're not talking about a single galleon though unless you're playing on a private server by yourself. 

When considering performance impacts you have to look at the worst case scenario. Sure, for you sitting there by yourself somewhere decorating a galleon the structure limit could probably be a lot higher and not cause issues. However, what happens if 20 galleons with higher structure limits meet in battle or anchor by each other in a free port? Not to mention that eventually the game world is going to be filled with Galleons... reasonable limits to how many structures/items each one has on it are needed. 

2 hours ago, Nightstrasza said:

The weight of structures is counted to the ship already. Also belive the limit is bcs the performance sucks ass on both ends and rendering such full galleon would be like a crash bomb for some ppl. However yes, can understand that being unable to fill that floating base might be irritating.

Modders will fix this.  The problem here is the Devs.  Why are there no 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 ceilings?  Why no walls that are 2 or 3 or 4 walls wide, and some walls that are 2x2 and 3x3?  Even in ARK, they at least had walls that were 4 high and 12 high, but they should have taken that concept a lot further.  It would have saved a lot of hassles for a lot of people.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

The problem is in short I guess, that the galleon is actually too big in terms of what the game as such can handle.

I couldn't believe the limit on the Gally. I felt the Brig was fair, You could easily filly the decks to a point, While having a somewhat creative limit on the top deck. However the Gally is just emptiness. I had to redesign mine 3 times, Just to fit on the important parts, and have enough drops left to make it look like there is more then a flat deck. lol

My big problem is the fact you need SO MANY ceilings just to fill in the huge holes within the decks. That alone uses up I'd bet 20% - 30% of your drops right there. Another issue is weight as well. I strongly feel that the Brig and Gally even more is to limited on carry limit. These ships are large, and can barely carry anything weight wise.

Yes, I know their weight got buffed 40%. But geez, These ships should definitely carry a good 50k before levels.

So much of this game is based around lame pvp. So I get it. But dang I wish PVE was it's own balance. That was always the downfall in Ark, and one major reason it killed the game for me. Balanced dino's would be nerfed into the ground cause PVP players had to use them for a exploit out of their intended roles. So PVE got hit too. 

Anyway, I'm just rambling, Point is - I feel like weight on the brig and Gally (More So) need's to go up another big amount. And the Gally's drop limit increased as well. My lower floor is completely empty. Not because I didn't have plans but because I had no more drops!

I really don't know how people using the Gally with max gun ports and cannon's, along with more on the top deck could even move since the crazy weight punishment if you even do use more then 40% of your ships overall weight lol. That's another issue I dislike. Even with the limit we have now, You could no way use 50% of it unless you want to crawl through the water. So dumb.

• Like 1

I cant see the issue with weight on the Brig. If weight gets increased further there it will be a complete no brainer over the Schooner. Specially as weight dictates speed.

3 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Modders will fix this.  The problem here is the Devs.  Why are there no 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 ceilings?  Why no walls that are 2 or 3 or 4 walls wide, and some walls that are 2x2 and 3x3?  Even in ARK, they at least had walls that were 4 high and 12 high, but they should have taken that concept a lot further.  It would have saved a lot of hassles for a lot of people.

This is realy neccessary! Today, I ran into a beautyful habor... but it was loaded und build up brick by brick. The engine cant handel all these single objects and tht is the reason for that horrobile server performance. Also players need to understand, that their oversized bases (often with no real function or usecases) is killing the server performance. 

btw: The components you mentioned in Ark are from a mod. Only the gates and trapdoors are original and larger.

26 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

This is realy neccessary! Today, I ran into a beautyful habor... but it was loaded und build up brick by brick. The engine cant handel all these single objects and tht is the reason for that horrobile server performance. Also players need to understand, that their oversized bases (often with no real function or usecases) is killing the server performance. 

btw: The components you mentioned in Ark are from a mod. Only the gates and trapdoors are original and larger.

We don't even have the base components in Atlas.
Where are our Trapdoors? Kind of crucial when making a base, or transport ship for your animals.

Also what's with the not being able to place an elevator on a ship? Galleon's are huge, yet you cannot put an elevator on the ship to move animals down and up.
That you can't put a Gate on a ship I am willing to accept, as a ship loaded with gates on the side would be able to soak insane amounts of damage.
But the lack of trapdoors.........

Right now we have a Galleon fitted to allow elephants and the likes to be moved downstairs.
And this thing has huge gaping holes on the decks, cause you need like 3x4 open space to move these animals down a deck.
Might as well place a giant sign saying "aim here for max damage" when sailing with this thing.

We really need trapdoors and elevators on ships like a Galleon.

Ähm... The decks are only one tile height even on a galleon. I would never try to put any larger Pet inside a ship. My pets remain on the upper deck, so i can get them with ease from my ship on in place on it. I do not know why I should take the animals inside the galleone or any other ship. If it is a battleship, pets do not make sense there and should not be there.

Well dev kit is out and..... its a massive clusterfuck in how they are doing it.... So Instead of allow creative they PUT EVERY FUCKING POSSIBILIY instance Mesh socket joint ... Let that sink in they have over 20k socket instances from the get go.   That just insane.   So good luck to modder that want to add new mesh because For every new mesh you have to add another 20k or less instance mesh placement.   

This isnt even smart to do this... This is hell waiting for something to break.  

On 1/23/2019 at 4:11 AM, MaxPower said:

We're not talking about a single galleon though unless you're playing on a private server by yourself. 

When considering performance impacts you have to look at the worst case scenario. Sure, for you sitting there by yourself somewhere decorating a galleon the structure limit could probably be a lot higher and not cause issues. However, what happens if 20 galleons with higher structure limits meet in battle or anchor by each other in a free port? Not to mention that eventually the game world is going to be filled with Galleons... reasonable limits to how many structures/items each one has on it are needed. 

Since when do you optimize a game for extreme cases? Even if you would further lower the structure limit on galleons you could argue "but what when 200 galleons show up..". The game should be optimized in a way that annoys the least amout of people and right now the limit having an impact on the players creativity at designing their ship is a far bigger and more often occuring issue then the rare case of too many galleons being in one place. The most common reason why players pick a galleon over a brigantine is because they rather want an allround ship that can act as a mobile base that has enough room for the members aswell as storage for ressources and animals like cows or sheep, especially on pve servers.

The very least what should happen is that certain structures that most ships are expected to have such as canons or rope ladders/sails steering wheels do not count into the structure limit but have their own seperate one.  The decks on a galleon should look alive and filled with all kinds of decorations and stuff and not look like empy airfields with canons on them just to please some fps requirements of oversized pvp streamer companies that gather 50 galleons in a single place.

Edited by Yare Yare

On 1/22/2019 at 8:40 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Even in ARK, they at least had walls that were 4 high and 12 high, but they should have taken that concept a lot further.

Those were mods not vanilla. But they've already hired the S+ author and are slowly integrating some of its functionality. They could use those pieces here in atlas for sure. Reduce draw calls and such.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:23 AM, Tezcatlipoca said:

That's not necessarily the reason for the part limit. A factor sure but not a bottleneck. Occlusion is a thing. Part of the issue is PvP, well cannons, the fact that they are considered a part means there HAS to be limit. Separating the two would allow for an increased structure limit with little effect on PvP.

Edited by Nari

Today i decided to fuck everything and do a simple top deck decoration,mind you simple,only necessities and im  very close to limit while bottom decks doesnt even have proper wooden ceilings to fill the deck holes,not to mention ladders and 0 cannons. So top deck is meh-meh but below is void,completely empty. Pretty much lol at this point. Hope it will be better in the future.

Same issue here. Structure limit on the galleon is far too low. I have 6 large sails, 4 dinghy docks and 2 diving docks, there are walls for each deck to close them off, and railings, and of course doors. Nothing else but cannons and smithy, basic stuff. 2 ammo crates, food larder... Compared to my Brig, its bare bones. It says structure limit reached. I cant even have rooms or place any lockers down, and I even removed a locker that was already placed, and couldnt put another one down (i only wanted to move it). To the people talking about leveling it for accomidations or weight, this does nothing to the build limit. This is a totally different issue. It's not something you can change in a private server as of yet either, its core programming per "platform" (otherwise known as a ship). Even the modders are having trouble figuring it out.

The galleon needs its build limit greatly increased. We cant even use the bottom deck. If you place walls to close off the top decks, and youre already like 75% maxed out on your total limit, meaning you get rooms down stairs but have to leave giant openings on the deck edges to get the build limit to do it, or vise versa. Cant have both. Because of how mine is behaving, it seems to be buggy as well. For example, I can place anything I want on the brig even though its absoltuly full, with 4 story castle and jam packed decks under it that you can barely walk in, but if I place the wall hook for a light, it says structure limit reached... Just the wall hook? How does that make sense? On the galleon, despite leveling up, it seems the build limit has actually decreased at some point during the last 2 days, because not only can I not build anymore, but I've removed a bunch of stuff (thinking i could get it to allow me to do SOMETHING if I deleted enough, and now I can't place it down again, leaving me with a hack job of a galleon.

Devs please look into this.

i just ran into this last night. What is this hodunk limit hard coded even for private servers that should get to decide these things for themselves? i understand on official but we pay quite a bit to be able to do what we want on private servers. So i was very excited to get my galleon built and set up how i want and sail off into the sunset and...i can only finish the top deck? you have got to be kidding me. And i can't even change the settings like you could in ark? Substantially reduced my enthusiasm for playing/paying

• Like 1

Yeah,Jat explained why they dont want to do that. Something like "people will come up with ridiculous things" among other things

I doesnt matter anyway. I've lost interest for now but will keep an eye and watch the progress from distance.

Edited by Lukas1987