Sign in to follow this  
Archsenex

Cargo Dinghy

Is there any chance we can get a dinghy for moving cargo?  Right now, the only way to move stuff from land bases to sea and vice versa is to carry it by hand, a trip at a time.  This motivates people to park their giant ship as close as humanly possible to land, weaving through the million shipyards to try and not have a 3 minute swim to your boat (dodging sharks the whole time).

Could we get a cargo moving dinghy-style ship that we can load up with a reasonable amount of cargo, move to our ship, and then retract into the dinghy launch?  That would allow us to bulk move stuff on or off the ship and park further out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Honestly.. I was kinda surprised teh dinghy had absolutely no cargo space when I built it. Actual docks woul eb awesome too, or the ability to convert your shipyards into docks.

The more I have to be the fleet supply for my company, the more I REALLY wish my company mates could just load up a pair of heavy dinghy's (possibly using Bears or other heavy mover mounts), I retract them onto the ship, get them where they're going, and then drop them for unloading.  15 trips up and down off the ship to load and unload is a giant PITA.

Edited by Archsenex

On 1/22/2019 at 8:04 PM, Archsenex said:

Is there any chance we can get a dinghy for moving cargo?  Right now, the only way to move stuff from land bases to sea and vice versa is to carry it by hand, a trip at a time.  This motivates people to park their giant ship as close as humanly possible to land, weaving through the million shipyards to try and not have a 3 minute swim to your boat (dodging sharks the whole time).

Could we get a cargo moving dinghy-style ship that we can load up with a reasonable amount of cargo, move to our ship, and then retract into the dinghy launch?  That would allow us to bulk move stuff on or off the ship and park further out.

I think it is a good idea.

Bumping in the Hope of getting more people on board with this one.  Every time I load materials (which is becoming quite frequent as we now need 5 or 6 variants to upgrade our stuff) I think how great it would be if we didn't have to take it on and off the ship 500 weight at a time.

It would be GREAT to be able to ride a bear or elephant from our base to a Cargo Dinghy/Raft with 5000 carry weight (that can park right on the shore), unload the animal directly into the Dinghy/Raft, retract it onto the galleon, sail to the next point, and reverse.  Wouldn't even bother unloading it while in transit.

Not only that, but we wouldn't need to litter the landscape with these awkward docks and loading platforms that are still only partial solutions (and tough to do well in lawless as well).

1. At shore/pier, Hauler mount handler pops item stacks from mount inventory into dinghy. 
  2. Person in dinghy picks up packages. This method allows a person to carry massive weight beyond their weight capacity. 
  3. Row dinghy to ship
  4. Load dinghy onto ship. 
  5. Slow walk from dinghy to storage chests on deck and unload. If necessary, move from temp storage on deck to storage below decks while underway.
  6. Reverse process at destination.
Edited by Grendalsh

We have NPCs, if they could be commanded to unload the ship, that would be very cool 🙂

Not holding my breath that they will add more functionality to the NPCs, so ya, like everyone else, either give us the ability to make decent docks or some method of transporting stuff from the ship to the base.

I'm guessing a modder will fix this, but it won't help those who run without mods. A mod that includes a special storage box that allows direct transfer of contents to another nearby storage box would solve the unloading problem.

One way I deal with this is move the stuff to a tame with decent weight, the ride the tame to shore and transfer its inventory to storage on shore. Still can take several trips and lots of transfer operations.

It does seem like the galleon at least should hold something more than a bunch of row boats. A larger ship to shore boat would sure be nice for the galleon.

I like this idea,  would like to be able to add a dinghy do to a pier to lift it up, so could have storage chests next to pier's dinghy dock  for quick unloading.  the players on land can from it from there while you get next load.

I do that with sloops now, but a dinghy would be easier to handle.

Edited by José Gaspar

The Submarine used to be able to hold 4k and do this.... but it got nerfed, so I doubt they'll oblige. Makes scavenging ships a pain in the ass, too.