Sign in to follow this  
Talono

Freeport ship decay rates

Dear pirates,

maybe some experts among you can help me. An anchored ramshackle sloop decays in about 8 hours while anchored in a freeport.

Is this different for a regular sloop with double plank HP (5000 instead of 2500] ?

And does a Schooner or Brigantine last longer than the smaller sloop ?

How about a raft, 8 hours too or does it last longer ?

Is a prolongation of the decay time possible through skills ? (crew repair is not working in freeport zones)

Thanks in advance for your help 😉

Edited by Talono
  • Thanks 1

Is this a official only thing? Cause I left my schooner parked on the shore nearby. It's in an unofficial server. I didnt have time to sail back before going to bed, so logged off on my anchored boat.

I'm stuck at work thinking I just fucked myself.

7 minutes ago, Eversalt said:

Is this a official only thing? Cause I left my schooner parked on the shore nearby. It's in an unofficial server. I didnt have time to sail back before going to bed, so logged off on my anchored boat.

I'm stuck at work thinking I just fucked myself.

It depends on the settings.  Unofficials can vary so much that it is impossible to say whether or not you screwed yourself over by parking it where you did.  On official you 100% would have though.  

2 hours ago, Talono said:

Dear pirates,

maybe some experts among you can help me. An anchored ramshackle sloop decays in about 8 hours while anchored in a freeport.

Is this different for a regular sloop with double plank HP (5000 instead of 2500] ?

And does a Schooner or Brigantine last longer than the smaller sloop ?

How about a raft, 8 hours too or does it last longer ?

Is a prolongation of the decay time possible through skills ? (crew repair is not working in freeport zones)

Thanks in advance for your help 😉

From what I've read, honestly have 100% avoided staying in the freeport regions longer than 30 minutes unless I've absolutely had to even on launch..  bigger ships take more damage and die faster than the smaller ships.  This is even more an issue while anchored, if you have to park there for any reason, do not anchor while you are there, and crew repair works however it is not able to save the ship in the long run as the damage outweighs how fast they repair.

15 minutes ago, Black Iron Tarkus said:

It's so people dont crowd freeports with rafts and sloops. 

Right, but here's where you have to question that logic. They don't want you hanging around freeports but now, they're going to put in trading with the purpose of bringing you TO a freeport.  So which is it, do they or don't they want us in freeports?  Is that insane decay rate going to continue when trading goes live?  If so, it might be pointless to even trade as it would cost you more in resources to repair than you'd make via trading.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Right, but here's where you have to question that logic. They don't want you hanging around freeports but now, they're going to put in trading with the purpose of bringing you TO a freeport.  So which is it, do they or don't they want us in freeports?  Is that insane decay rate going to continue when trading goes live?  If so, it might be pointless to even trade as it would cost you more in resources to repair than you'd make via trading.

Good point.  I guess we shall see how this plays out.

24 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Could see them adding in a cost to allow you to stay in the area like a traders license.  I get why they want to push everyone away though, too many in the one server means horrid performance but with the handling of the fountain of youth I'm not quite sure they really understand that.  

18 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

The simple fix, which I doubt they'll do (because it is simple), would be to put a delay on when the decay starts. I.E. Spend an hour or two in freeport with no decay, but have it start (and accelerate) the longer a ship has stayed. Another option would be to tie decay rate to a ship's proximity to a freeport island and make the dinghy (or a small, rowed "cargo" ship) immune (or less affected).

• Like 3

It's meant to be that way reason is you aren't supposed to be there long. That's why you can only get to level 8, that's why the ramshackle you can buy is SUPER debuffed, and that's why the timer for decay is so harsh. It's essentially the tutorial area.

From the patch notes:
"You can now buy a "Ramshackle Sloop" from the NPC Shipyardsman at Freeports.
The "Ramshackle Sloop" is a pre-built sloop which has permanently lower plank HP, carry weight, and crew limit, but is cheaper and faster to acquire if you want to get into sailing faster."

So because of its debuffs, partnered with the fact freeports are a temporary docking area, not for log outs, it's not really meant to withstand long times.

10 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

The simple fix, which I doubt they'll do (because it is simple)...

I thought of this too and then thought exactly as you did about why it'll never happen.  Great minds...

I think free ports should have a docking fee for anything over an hour or two scaled off the type of boat. That way you could even leave a gallion there over night but it will cost you quite a bit of gold each hour its there. Once the gold runs out, ship starts to decay or poofs.

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

This!  And the obvious answer is to allow you to stay there for a given period of time, with no damage.  Maybe 2 or 3 hours, at which point the damage starts kicking in.  Add a cool down timer that equals the delay timer.  So let's say you are in the Freeport for 2 hours.  When you leave, you can't just re-enter with a fresh timer.  No, the timer begins to reverse when you leave, so if you were in the Freeport for 2 hours, it takes 2 hours for the timer to totally reset.  This prevents gaming the system by having somebody log in every three hours to take the ship out of the area, and then back in.  This would not work as he would have to keep the ship out for 3 hours to reset the timer.  So this system would work really well, even when there are more than one freeport in a grid.  You go in one, do your business, and leave, and while on the way to the next one, your timer refreshes while enroute to the next one.  So if you are in a Freeport for 30 minutes, and it takes 20 to get to the next one, your timer is only at 10 minutes when you enter the next one.  It would serve the intended purpose, and yet still allow people to move about and use Freeports for what they are intended for.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Asanna said:

It's meant to be that way reason is you aren't supposed to be there long. That's why you can only get to level 8, that's why the ramshackle you can buy is SUPER debuffed, and that's why the timer for decay is so harsh. It's essentially the tutorial area.

From the patch notes:
"You can now buy a "Ramshackle Sloop" from the NPC Shipyardsman at Freeports.
The "Ramshackle Sloop" is a pre-built sloop which has permanently lower plank HP, carry weight, and crew limit, but is cheaper and faster to acquire if you want to get into sailing faster."

So because of its debuffs, partnered with the fact freeports are a temporary docking area, not for log outs, it's not really meant to withstand long times.

And yet, Freeports aren't just tutorial areas, not should they be.  It is exciting for a first time player, to log into a Freeport, and see all manner of ships there.  He will instantly think...yeah, this game was a good purchase.

Freeports are also places you do trade, recruit, do some mining and gathering, and also do some treasure hunting.  We went after a very high level treasure that was on top of one of the tall rock pillar formations.  It was not easy, or quick to get up there.  I shouldn't have to do a lot of ship repairs just because we were there for an hour and a half to buy some stuff, gather some stuff, wait for a recruit to show up, and get some treasure.  The obvious fix is what I posted above.  A delay timer, with an equal cool down timer, to prevent gaming the system.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

And yet, Freeports aren't just tutorial areas, not should they be.  It is exciting for a first time player, to log into a Freeport, and see all manner of ships there.  He will instantly think...yeah, this game was a good purchase.

Freeports are also places you do trade, recruit, do some mining and gathering, and also do some treasure hunting.  We went after a very high level treasure that was on top of one of the tall rock pillar formations.  It was not easy, or quick to get up there.  I shouldn't have to do a lot of ship repairs just because we were there for an hour and a half to buy some stuff, gather some stuff, wait for a recruit to show up, and get some treasure.  The obvious fix is what I posted above.  A delay timer, with an equal cool down timer, to prevent gaming the system.

Again, even in your description, those are all trips. Temporary visits to trade, recruit, mine, gather. As far as i know no treasure maps lead to a free port (at least none of the 70 i';ve gotten so far, i could be wrong). However that's why i said "essentially" tutorial area. Everything about a freeport shouts "gtfo and get out on the seas"

3 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

If you're there to trade perhaps they could implement Validated Docking?  (I'll let myself out) 😄

1 hour ago, Captain Paint said:

I think free ports should have a docking fee for anything over an hour or two scaled off the type of boat. That way you could even leave a gallion there over night but it will cost you quite a bit of gold each hour its there. Once the gold runs out, ship starts to decay or poofs.

Impounded, but you can buy it back?

8 minutes ago, Hambo said:

If you're there to trade perhaps they could implement Validated Docking?  (I'll let myself out) 😄

All they need is a delay on the accelerated decay, along with a cool down on that timer, so it can't be games.  It's simple, and this clock has been used in many games, especially for King of the Hill game modes.  You enter the king of the hill zone, and a timer starts to count up.  If you get kicked out, the clock now reverses until you get back into the zone, where it begins counting back up.  It's a very simple thing.  It can be used here.  The timer starts counting up when you enter the zone...the Freeport zone.  You are not unaware that the clock has started...you see the timer start and begin counting.  When you leave, it does not reset to zero...it simply reverses direction.  If you are out of the zone longer than you were in the zone, it will reach zero, and remain there until you re-enter any freeport zone.  Leaving one freeport after letting the clock climb high, and sailing to another close freeport, does not reset the clock.  Any freeport makes the timer climb, from whatever time it is currently at.  This completely eliminates the ability to game the system, but does allow you to visit a Freeport for a short period of time.

1 hour ago, Asanna said:

Again, even in your description, those are all trips. Temporary visits to trade, recruit, mine, gather. As far as i know no treasure maps lead to a free port (at least none of the 70 i';ve gotten so far, i could be wrong). However that's why i said "essentially" tutorial area. Everything about a freeport shouts "gtfo and get out on the seas"

People really don't need an incentive to get out onto the seas.  It's why they came to the game in the first place.  Not being able to advance beyond level 8 is enough incentive, for anyone who needs one.  The decay needs to be there only to keep people from wanting to use it as a safe space.  This can still be accomplished with that delay timer, and yet also open the island up to more fun and useful things.  Also, think of the benefits if you create reasons for the veterans to return.  New players come in contact with them, and get recruited.  New players see big ships come and go, and it excites them.  They see the real possibilities.   Freeports should be places to buy and sell things, and sure, do the occasional treasure hunt on one of the less accessible locations on the island.  Yes, we have done this on unofficial islands.  Necessary there I suppose, because you want to make the most out of every island, but this should be the case on official also.  You want to make the most out of every island.  You aren't going to fight AotD for treasure as a new player, with beginner weapons.  No need to eliminate or reduce the XP for fighting them, even on a Freeport Island.  You can't build at a freeport, and you can't advance beyond level 8 until you leave.  How this is handled in the code may be the problem.  Who is going to stay there when it does nothing for you?  But, it should not restrict a player from doing things there, and that's all in how the code is written.  If you can't build there, so you can't base there, and can't build good ships there, why would anyone want to stay there?  The real issue is using it as a safe space, and that is handled with a timer for the ship, as I have already detailed here.

6 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

The real issue is using it as a safe space, and that is handled with a timer for the ship, as I have already detailed here.

I'm really confused what we're even talking about anymore. We all agree the timer is a good thing, and we all agree it helps push people out, so I guess I"m gonna stop running in circles explaining the same point in different words. 

Good luck out there my dude who lost his ship! Find the closest lawless, and hope for some helpful and amazing people.

2 hours ago, Asanna said:

I'm really confused what we're even talking about anymore. We all agree the timer is a good thing, and we all agree it helps push people out, so I guess I"m gonna stop running in circles explaining the same point in different words. 

Good luck out there my dude who lost his ship! Find the closest lawless, and hope for some helpful and amazing people.

What is confusing about the timer I mentioned?  Not the normal decay timer.  I am talking about a timer that delays the accelerated decay.  So, let's say this timer would delay the accelerated decay for 3 hours.  So you enter the zone that starts the accelerated decay, and you see a clock associated with the ship.  I it is counting up, or down, doesn't matter.  In this case, we can say it starts at 3 hours and starts counting down, like a timer.  You are in port for an hour, so now the timer says 2 hours.  You travel to another Freeport, and it takes you 30 minutes to do so.  The entire time you are making this 30 minute trip, the timer is counting back up towards 3 hours.  But you enter another Freeport after the 30 minute voyage.  The timer is now at 2 hours and 30 minutes.  You are in port there for an hour and 15 minutes, and then leave.  So let's do the math.

In first Freeport for an hour, so timer goes from 3 hours, to 2 hours.
You leave port, and head to another Freeport.  The voyage takes 30 minutes, to when you enter this next Freeport, the timer is at 2 hours and 30 minutes.
You stay for an hour and 15 minutes, so when you leave, this delay timer is at 1 hour and 15 minutes because you used up half the delay timer's time that was left on the clock.  This means that if you were to immediately turn around and re-enter the port, and stayed for more than an hour and 15 minutes, the accelerated decay would not begin.  If, however, you go back to your own port and log off for the night, you would log on the next day and the timer would be at 3 hours.

• Confused 1

Agreed. I thought the same thing, Jack Shadow. I work 10 hours a day and come home and do a resource run. Prior to entering the freeport Region, I have maybe 15 points of damage done to my ship from sailing wear & tear. By the time I make it to the freeport island and anchor, 400 points of damage has been done to my ship over time. I do not sail my Brig in shallow waters. I did not hit anything. There are no ghost ships in freeport regions. So within 45 minutes, 400 damage had been done to my ship.

I think there should be a delay before the decay timer. A timer... for the timer to start, per say. Maybe 2 hours. 2 hours in the freeport zone BEFORE my ship starts taking accelerated damage.

I would love that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

What is confusing about the timer I mentioned?  Not the normal decay timer.  I am talking about a timer that delays the accelerated decay.  So, let's say this timer would delay the accelerated decay for 3 hours.  So you enter the zone that starts the accelerated decay, and you see a clock associated with the ship.  I it is counting up, or down, doesn't matter.  In this case, we can say it starts at 3 hours and starts counting down, like a timer.  You are in port for an hour, so now the timer says 2 hours.  You travel to another Freeport, and it takes you 30 minutes to do so.  The entire time you are making this 30 minute trip, the timer is counting back up towards 3 hours.  But you enter another Freeport after the 30 minute voyage.  The timer is now at 2 hours and 30 minutes.  You are in port there for an hour and 15 minutes, and then leave.  So let's do the math.

In first Freeport for an hour, so timer goes from 3 hours, to 2 hours.
You leave port, and head to another Freeport.  The voyage takes 30 minutes, to when you enter this next Freeport, the timer is at 2 hours and 30 minutes.
You stay for an hour and 15 minutes, so when you leave, this delay timer is at 1 hour and 15 minutes because you used up half the delay timer's time that was left on the clock.  This means that if you were to immediately turn around and re-enter the port, and stayed for more than an hour and 15 minutes, the accelerated decay would not begin.  If, however, you go back to your own port and log off for the night, you would log on the next day and the timer would be at 3 hours.

3grs is far too long , when they add player shops 30-60 mins max then maybe 2 hour decay if u need to be there longer u have to leave the zone for an hour , otherwise the area would be clogged uo with too many payers and ships

there would need to bu huge changes to freeport system before they add player shops

Edited by UDO

6 minutes ago, UDO said:

3grs is far too long , when they add player shops 30-60 mins max then maybe 2 hour decay if u need to be there longer u have to leave the zone for an hour , otherwise the area would be clogged uo with too many payers and ships

there would need to bu huge changes to freeport system before they add player shops

Yet I think that would be the PERFECT reason to add a 2 or 3 hours delay before the decay timer starts... Player shops. The accelerated decay timer should absolutely not be the reason players make their item and gold decisions quickly and leave asap... The accelerated decay timer should ONLY be a reason to not log off and/or stay in the region for too long.

You have to realize that not everybody knows how to sail a ship as fast as possible. Not everybody has a very fast ship. When you get to a freeport you're not sure what you're going to buy or sell, and sailing TO the freeport takes time, depending on wind speed and direction...

The MOMENT you enter the freeport region, your ship starts to take damage. There needs to be a delay. Going to a freeport region is expensive.

They're going to be adding REASONS to be in a Freeport Region... yet there are instant consequences for going to a Freeport Region... it's redundant and ridiculous. Freeport Regions are going to be for buying and selling. Its where you buy Crew. Its where you buy Cosmetics. Its where people start. and Freeport Regions should also be the best place to meet other players and new players. Yet you have to get in and out asap because you might lose your ship if you don't...

Edited by Sovereign Snow
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Asanna said:

It's not a good thing. It discourages exploration and long voyages in a game that was advertised as a sailing game. I remember Jat saying how excited he is about the map size and how you need at least 30 hours to get from one side of it to another and how awesome those voyages will be. I remember they said on livestream they want people have ships as mobile bases also. Well no. Not on a PvP server at least. You can't really dock for several hours anywhere but at your base. 

I think the ships should be protected from decay at freeports for at least 16 hours if you pay gold, but then you can't get protection in that freeport for another 48 hours, maybe even more. This way we'll have means of keeping our ships safe while travelling but it can't really be used to safely store fleets of galleons there as you'll have to move the entire fleet every 16 hours and after some time it will be too far away from your home base.

Edited by LaiTash

5 minutes ago, LaiTash said:

I think the ships should be protected from decay at freeports for at least 16 hours if you pay gold, but then you can't get protection in that freeport for another 48 hours, maybe even more. This way we'll have means of keeping our ships safe while travelling but it can't really be used to safely store fleets of galleons there as you'll have to move the entire fleet every 16 hours and after some time it will be too far away from your home base.

You can try PvE if you wanna your ship be safe.