Sign in to follow this  
Anotep

Will there be a Whipe in the future?

Hey Guys,

did any of the Devs mention a whipe at any point in the future of this Game?

To the best of my knowledge wipes have not been mentioned and I have followed Atlas news reasonably closely even prior to EA release. It would be reasonable to assume a wipe at official launch but that is according to the devs at least two years down the road. Other wipes prior to release are obviously possible, but I'm not aware of discussion either way on their part. Jat has taken primary responsiblity for communicating with the playerbase, so I would keep an eye on his posts going forward.

I agree with Boomer.  However, I believe and hope that they will wipe once they are confident all the major exploits are plugged.

Who knows tho.  This dev team seems to have thier own plan for this game and are sticking with it come hell or high water.  So theirs no predicting with them.

Might be at the launch of the game, when there’s a good claiming system in the game and everything fixed, like others said. 

ARK was never wiped, some new servers added. I can easily see Atlas with no wipe as well and no new servers either.

Ark was never wiped, but instead they left the original servers as 'Legacy Servers' and took away all GM support from them. You couldn't transfer from them to any other server, except for other Legacy Servers, and once the playerbase suffered enough attrition due to glitches happening - stuck in the mesh, constant falling, etc - then they wiped the servers and took away the Legacy designation.

I would be in favor of periodic wipes during EA say around every six months or so. The key would be to give substantial advance warning of wipes in order to minimize drama.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shintai said:

ARK was never wiped, some new servers added. I can easily see Atlas with no wipe as well and no new servers either.

I really doubt this. 1 Atlas server is so expensive since its 225 actual servers. Ark legacy servers, the completely unmoderated EA servers, are slowing being culled. This culling really cannot happen with Atlas. But who knows maybe the cash shop will be successful to support the servers. 

I can see a youth item added, it would probably make the devs lots of money.

I would assume multiple wipes before release.  The Devs said in the livestream that the claims system is going to be rewritten from the ground up.  Removing the old and installing the new seems likely to make a wipe desirable.

A map change may cause a wipe. but if it only affected one grid maybe not.

Basically it depends on which game systems are being changed and if the changes can be seamlessly implemented.

8 minutes ago, Hambo said:

The Devs said in the livestream that the claims system is going to be rewritten from the ground up. 

I really hope PvP and PvE get appropriate game mechanics in the rewrite.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, Dorf said:

I agree with Boomer.  However, I believe and hope that they will wipe once they are confident all the major exploits are plugged.

Who knows tho.  This dev team seems to have thier own plan for this game and are sticking with it come hell or high water.  So theirs no predicting with them.

They have a plan?  😄

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

EVERYONE YELLING ABOUT EARLY ACCESS SHOULD SUPPORT A MONTHLY WIPE!!! 

Its only EA so what do you have to lose

Monthly wipe would really help balance the game as both minor and major things change.

12 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

EVERYONE YELLING ABOUT EARLY ACCESS SHOULD SUPPORT A MONTHLY WIPE!!! 

Its only EA so what do you have to lose

Quite frankly if I were leading the development of a game like Atlas, that's exactly what I'd do. It'd give the devs a little more breathing room with game breaking issues and major changes would be less of an issue since you wouldn't have to worry about causing problems with the existing server data. Want to make a huge change the claim system that would be disruptive to current claims? No problem... save it for a wipe (btw, if they're never wiping the servers don't expect a significantly different claim system. Ever.). 

Of course you'd have a huge player retention issues if you did that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Of course you'd have a huge player retention issues if you did that. 

Planned wipes would help get new player and returning players back. There is more to player retention than forcing your players to keep logging in just to hold on to land claim.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:24 AM, Anotep said:

Hey Guys,

did any of the Devs mention a whipe at any point in the future of this Game?

On 1/22/2019 at 7:35 AM, boomervoncannon said:

To the best of my knowledge wipes have not been mentioned and I have followed Atlas news reasonably closely even prior to EA release. It would be reasonable to assume a wipe at official launch but that is according to the devs at least two years down the road. Other wipes prior to release are obviously possible, but I'm not aware of discussion either way on their part. Jat has taken primary responsiblity for communicating with the playerbase, so I would keep an eye on his posts going forward.

To both. No there will not be a wipe unless it is accidental or at least an emergency. Even two years down the road. As far as ark goes(yeah jeremy is still the boss) jeremy wanted to do an official wipe but after the other devs(not players) begged him not to, he decided to not wipe. I will expect the same here. There most definitely should be a wipe but it will not happen. 

By the time this game gets to full release it will be hurting for people so bad they won’t be able to afford getting rid of 2 years of players progress.

quick solution would be regular wipes(it is EA after all right fan boys? 😂)

anyways, fanboys like using EA as an excuse, wait till a wipe does come. They will be the most butt hurt of the bunch

1 minute ago, Lynx said:

Planned wipes would help get new player and returning players back. There is more to player retention than forcing your players to keep logging in just to hold on to land claim.

It would hit I am more waiting till it fails, I am cool with them making bad decisions 

5 hours ago, Lynx said:

I really hope PvP and PvE get appropriate game mechanics in the rewrite.

I hope this also, but I do so with the knowledge that dev teams on every game with both pve and pvp game modes that I'm aware of, have been loathe to code those modes significantly different to a great degree. I think the underlying philosophy is to keep the two as similar as possible from a coding and design perspective in order to avoid complexifying ongoing development more than necessary. This isn't just the Wildshot™ devs, this is every dev team for every game I'm aware of.