Sign in to follow this  
Retarded Bird

Quickest boat/sail setup?

Been researching online for the ship that has potentially the quickest speed and I keep reading about sloops and schooners.  Of the two has anyone confirmed which is actually quicker and with what sail setup?  I wan't to make a boat or boats that are setup for scouting and quick exploring.    Was thinking Schooner with 1 large speed sail and 1 medium or small handling(depending on the weight, cant remember the max setup for schooner) or 1 more speed sail. 

Any thoughts on this?

Fastest for me so far is the schooner with large speed sail.  I use a small handling with it as well.  You could do large speed and small speed for Max speed though

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrHeid said:

Fastest for me so far is the schooner with large speed sail.  I use a small handling with it as well.  You could do large speed and small speed for Max speed though

This is exactly the setup I use. The large speed sail provides most of the speed, so I just add a small handling for use in docking maneuvers. 

If you can use more large than smaller, that seems to always be the fastest choice. For instance, I will make my Brigantine with 3 Large Speed sails, instead of some combination that might include medium or small sails. I've had this once before, it is I think faster than the Schooner with a large speed sail.

58 minutes ago, MrHeid said:

same setup i use as that extra bit using handling as well with bad wind is probably faster than having large and small sails , 

the large and small might be faster with good wind but i find the small handling and large speed perfectly good for my need , planty of speed and manouvering for those tricky situations

Edited by UDO

I tested schooner 1 large+small speed vs 3large speed brig in 1 zone.
Brigantine 20% faster 🙂

• Like 1

just my uneducated thoughts, and never sailed a galleon, but of my 3 ships I feel like my 3 speed sail brig is by far the fastest followed closely by the large+small speed sail schooner which I went to a large speed+small handling. The sloop feels so slow to me.