The system sucks. It's currently impossible to capture a ship unless it's abandoned. Selling captured ships was the main source of income for pirates. The piracy tree end tier skill sucks too. One minute off the capture timer with a ninety second cool down. The whole system needs to be replaced. 

Alternate system one: 

Each deck of a ship has a capture zone that must be held for X time. You can capture them in any order, but must hold all of them at once for Y time to claim the ship. The zones can be re-captured by the ship owners. 

Alternate system two:

All enemy NPC's and players must be off the ship. Claim flag like the current system, but much shorter timer (30 minutes or less). You must remain on the ship to capture. Enemies stop countdown, but do not revert it until all claimants are off the ship. Anchored ships have an additional separate claim requirement that ends in a minigame to break the anchor before the main claiming process can begin. 

Mini game to destroy the anchor is a cool idea but would require a specific tool which would need lots of mats and one time use only. The idea to take a ship needs to be planned, not one of random happenstance. Would also need to build a replacement anchor for after you have stolen it or you yourself cant anchor.  I would still want a tier system as they kind of have now for after anchor goes down but reduced times. Potentially taking a galleon with a full crew in 30 mins is a bit quick unless it only applies towards ships at sea in combat, that would be a new fun take on how ship combat works. Also like the idea of selling stolen ships but would have to go to a specific island, same as we have free ports.... maybe make one of the islands in the grid a black market district.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the claim system is broken - It is too easy to exploit.

I.E, If I was attacking a ship, and rather than sink it, I boarded it - After Boarding, I managed to kill every last sailor on that boat - NPC's and Characters, I have also removed all beds from the boat - Now, We are currently out to sea, there is no way the guys who had the boat can physically swim to get the boat back, nor can they actually spawn on the boat - So now the ship is mine - But hold on I have to claim it, so I place a claim flag, and woah hold on... 17 hours to claim... are you for real? - I mean 17 hours... There is no one left alive to save the boat... Now thy can throw another boat together, any boat, sail out and get there boat back, so what is the actual point in trying to claim boats? Unless people want to no life this game....

Lets look at it this way, currently when you die, you lose all items on you, yes you can get your stuff back, but you have to contend with the wildlife to get it, and it isn't always guarenteed to get it back, There is nothing stopping you from trying to get it back, but currently you have lost it because you died... Yet with ships, if you die, it is still yours at least if someone tries to capture it, you can have 17 - 24hours to go about your thing, getting the stuff to go get it back, it doesn't even need to be a priority, yet everything else you lose, seems to give you 30 minutes...

I honestly think, if someone has boarded your ship, and wants to claim it, and they have killed everyone and you are out at sea - Then if you lose you lose, If you win you win, The timer shouldbe put to 30 minutes - No more or no less, currently they have a decay system where the further from land you are, the faster your stuff decays, So it wouldn't be too hard to implement this for ship capturingg. The further from land, the quicker it is to capture..

At least then this would open up boarding in PvP which currently isnt a thing as it is easier and quicker to just sink the boat and loot it, why try to capture somethign thats going to take a persistent 17 - 24hours to capture? Why is it even a thing?

• Like 2

@R4GN4R

Yep, in its current implementation it is impossible to capture a ship unless they let you. Anchored ships do need some type of enhanced mechanic though. It would be too easy to offline capture ships and then use them to bombard the previous owner's base. 

• Like 1

I suggest the last pirate skill to allow you to sail any boat not in anchor at half speed. The owner can still see the boat on the map and the long capture times still stand. 

That or just buff the pirate skill so you dont activate it just always decreases capture time while on a ship. Also make it so you can log off on an enemy ship and continue capturing,