Sign in to follow this  
Cantore

[Piratey chef speaks out] - Where's me ice box blueprint?! (THE ICE BOX IDEA)

Hi devs,

I'm looking for something that would have existed in that time period, and that's the "Ice Box". Normally, it would be a cellar of sorts, but I'm looking for a rather large container to 'freeze' our food, so that the Company chef doesn't return to a big tub of NOTHING. Currently, if you ask around, most people just die, rather than cook the food. After all, who can gather all the ingredients to make them, when they spoil so quickly that farming is essentially pointless as well! You've made a great idea, but no way to make it come to life. With the Ice Box, you can make the cook have a purpose... to cook.

Also, given the ingredients needed, perhaps you should consider re-vamping food to something like this:
Basic Recipes = 2 vitamin bars affected

Intermediate = 3 vitamin bars affected

Advanced = all 4 vitamin bars affected

Unthinkable Delicacy = all 4 vitamins bars affected, a buff on vitamin depreciation, a health bonus, and a speed bonus.

Like my idea? --> hit the like button 🙂

• Like 4

cook/make the food then place in preserving bag with preserving salts and it will last for days and days. 

That's the issue Dilbert - the INGREDIENTS to make the food doesn't last. If I have my guys collect it while I'm not on, it pretty much disappears before I get on. I can see the preserving bags for a ship journey. I'm asking for an Ice Box for my base - not the ship. I guess I could have specified that further though. (And yes, I do realize you can use the preserving bags inside the house, but they are INTENDED for long voyages on ships).

I should also mention that I think that the Ice Box should be unlocked with Advanced Recipes... or somewhere around that spot in the cooking tree.

8 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

Pretty sure they are intended for all food preservation on the boat and in the house.

You could be right. But, it's just an idea that I believe SHOULD be in the game because it would allow the cooks to actually have time to cook the food before it spoils. There are TONS of islands that don't have 'salt' as a resource. Heck all 8 servers around me don't have it. So, having bags that require a ton of it isn't practical, and Ice Box's/Ice Cellars ARE realistic to that genre and time period. So, why not?

8 minutes ago, Cantore said:

You could be right. But, it's just an idea that I believe SHOULD be in the game because it would allow the cooks to actually have time to cook the food before it spoils. There are TONS of islands that don't have 'salt' as a resource. Heck all 8 servers around me don't have it. So, having bags that require a ton of it isn't practical, and Ice Box's/Ice Cellars ARE realistic to that genre and time period. So, why not?

That's the point... you gotta sail to get salt or trade for it.

Cellars were great for storing wine but salt was the only food preservation option in the time period and why most people didn't eat much pork that wasn't salted because there was no other viable way to preserve it.

I'm pretty sure we'd all have to sail up to the north or down to the south for ice anyways just as we do for salt now.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:21 AM, MindOfMadness said:

Cellars were great for storing wine but salt was the only food preservation option in the time period and why most people didn't eat much pork that wasn't salted because there was no other viable way to preserve it.

I'm pretty sure we'd all have to sail up to the north or down to the south for ice anyways just as we do for salt now.

Good, some players don't live ANYWHERE NEAR salt, but they have lots of ice. Why penalize players for living farther away from salt? If you want to use the salty bags, so be it. But I'd like to use ice, so be it. 🙂

Edited by Cantore

2 hours ago, Cantore said:

Good, some players don't live ANYWHERE NEAR salt, but they have lots of ice. Why penalize players for living farther away from salt? If you want to use the salty bags, so be it. But I'd like to use ice, so be it. 🙂

I'd agree completely with using ice for food preservation but it should have an accelerated decay rate outside of the arctic regions.

Edited by MindOfMadness

7 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

I'd agree completely with using ice for food preservation but it should have an accelerated decay rate outside of the arctic regions.

If ice is fuel, then yes, it should melt faster in warmer climates, but not have any effect on the food inside, so long as it's got ice inside. The same would go for salt. Eventually, it disappears with use, and you have to get more. That said, I think ice should make things last longer than salt, since we have far more servers in and around the tundra areas, and it would give those having to suffer through the Tundra climates something favorable! Currently there's little-to-no favorability in the Tundra. If you lose your stuff, you often freeze before you can run back naked and get it. And, living in a house currently provides little insulation value without 3-4 fires going all around you.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, MindOfMadness said:

actually you just dig for it with a shovel on any beach. I think they patched the preserving bags - but yeh a turnip would last like 1 minute max in a preserving bag.

j