darcek

Problem with taming

So first taming takes ton of time even after ive trained efficiency 3..

only thing I was able to tame is some chickens and a cow..

Now this game has no door frames,cant place doors,aka you cant protect an area you cant protect your tames!

They just stand outside waiting to be pawned by your occasional predator passing by..

The bola taming mechanics is even worst..

First need to lower the tame health to like 10%.. now I tried that with a bull.. what about elephant or tiger? god.. there`s no way to protect yourself and you need to kill the tame in self defense...

I did manage to get one bull down with bola..almost died in process..then got killed by a passing by 260 level Alpha cow rofl...

I tried again..the bull was down but..it keept attacking you! 

I tried to crouch down to feed it nothing happened and no message feed or something was just press E to remove Bola..yea right!

So I killed the poor bastard...

Comeon Devs..you need pointers?

You got ARK.. perfect example of how taming should be done..lets change this a bit so will be playable..

Edited by darcek

Now this game has no door frames,cant place doors,aka you cant protect an area you cant protect your tames!

The thing I found out is that while placing the walls you can actually press T to cycle through wall, door frames, and window frames. Same goes for ceilings & trap door frames. Hope this helps.

Dar,

Roughly how long did it take in comparison to Ark?

Lack of...feedback, and movement of critters driving me nuts.

20 minutes wasted trying to 'follow' and tame a lvl 1 monkey...  
    10 or so following a lvl 9 chicken, only apparently for the server to flake out

didnt really time it.

Chicken took like 15 min a levl 1-4.chicken are like dodos in ark where you can get such dodos in like 1-4 min

7 hours ago, darcek said:

Now this game has no door frames,cant place doors,aka you cant protect an area you cant protect your tames!

They just stand outside waiting to be pawned by your occasional predator passing by..

First need to lower the tame health to like 10%.. now I tried that with a bull.. what about elephant or tiger? god.. there`s no way to protect yourself and you need to kill the tame in self defense...

I did manage to get one bull down with bola..almost died in process..then got killed by a passing by 260 level Alpha cow rofl...

I tried to crouch down to feed it nothing happened and no message feed or something was just press E to remove Bola..yea right!

You got ARK.. perfect example of how taming should be done..lets change this a bit so will be playable..

Could you enlight me and tell me how to craft the bola? I couldnt find it...

38 minutes ago, Firuan said:

Could you enlight me and tell me how to craft the bola? I couldnt find it...

Build a tannery.

Its under ranged weapons folder.

Don't bother trying to tame Bola things. It is broken. We built a Ark style ( dino gate) trap. Pulled a lion into it. You have to approach the downed creature from the backside to get the feed option. It wanted Prime Meat. WE gave it, was fine.. Bola timer went down so I tried to re-apply the bola, no dice. The bola doesn't let you re-apply it. It eats 1-2 times bola timer wears down and animal stands up. We tried knockiung it down again to see if taming progress stays, it doesn't. 

5 minutes ago, Kloric said:

Don't bother trying to tame Bola things. It is broken. We built a Ark style ( dino gate) trap. Pulled a lion into it. You have to approach the downed creature from the backside to get the feed option. It wanted Prime Meat. WE gave it, was fine.. Bola timer went down so I tried to re-apply the bola, no dice. The bola doesn't let you re-apply it. It eats 1-2 times bola timer wears down and animal stands up. We tried knockiung it down again to see if taming progress stays, it doesn't. 

That sounds awesome..

Hope they fix it soon.

8 hours ago, Kloric said:

Yeah that's total BS. You didn't do it right. I've tamed 4 wolves and 2 bulls which were all Bola tames. Please don't spread false knowledge on the forums. For a Bola tame you have to trap it then get it low on health and Bola it. Then feed it with the item it requires everytime you can. Then once it gets unbolad you damage and Bola it again. It'll then require you to feed it again over and over. The only downside to this is as he said they will attack you while you try and feed them. To get around it feed from back of head or just out of attack range. 

12 hours ago, SlobKing said:

Yeah that's total BS. You didn't do it right. I've tamed 4 wolves and 2 bulls which were all Bola tames. Please don't spread false knowledge on the forums. For a Bola tame you have to trap it then get it low on health and Bola it. Then feed it with the item it requires everytime you can. Then once it gets unbolad you damage and Bola it again. It'll then require you to feed it again over and over. The only downside to this is as he said they will attack you while you try and feed them. To get around it feed from back of head or just out of attack range. 

Jumping on someone for sharing their experiences with the game and what they have observed and calling it bullshit when you wasn't there isn't false information it is sharing experience, please learn how to communicate with others. A example of this would have been saying. something like.....  ' I have tamed 4 wolves and 2 bulls which were Bola tames, maybe you were doing it wrong or tried before they did a fix that allows it. This is how I did it myself  ( insert how you did it here).  In any case we tried what he says when it fell back down the tame was at 0% progress again, we repeated it like 6 times, being how game is new there IS a chance we didn't do something right /shrug but that is what we saw. 

2 hours ago, Kloric said:

Jumping on someone for sharing their experiences with the game and what they have observed and calling it bullshit when you wasn't there isn't false information it is sharing experience, please learn how to communicate with others. A example of this would have been saying. something like.....  ' I have tamed 4 wolves and 2 bulls which were Bola tames, maybe you were doing it wrong or tried before they did a fix that allows it. This is how I did it myself  ( insert how you did it here).  In any case we tried what he says when it fell back down the tame was at 0% progress again, we repeated it like 6 times, being how game is new there IS a chance we didn't do something right /shrug but that is what we saw. 

So there hasn't been any fixes deployed for it and it's worked the same since the start. The problem with it is you only have 50 seconds between feeding before it loses it's taming. So if you knock it down and feed it a bunch when it escapes Bola you must immediately Bola it again. If you wait beyond the 50 second timer you lose your taming progress and it'll show 0 again.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:27 AM, darcek said:

So wanted to respond here as we just tamed our first wolf.

Firstly, you can create a taming pet with gates and walls.  That is what we did.  we built 2 stone gates with doors on them, ran a wolf in there and had walls with windows in them.  For the windows you press T as you are placing a wall and you can cycle through different wall types. 

Then we built a stair on the outside of the taming pet and a ceiling out over the side of it so we could stand on it.  So not sure why you can't protect yourself.  Make out of stone and you'll be fine.

The way bola taming works is you have to get the create down health wise to a low level so you can tame it.  Then once you bola it at low health it "knocks out" and a bola timer starts which shows you how long it will be before it wakes up.  So what you do is you feed it until you get close to the bola timer ending, then go back on the ramp and you have to work it down to low health again and then re-bola it.  Work it down to low health with bow and arrow taking non head shots.

I will agree that Ark had a way better taming system then what i see here.  I do see what they are trying to accomplish but there should be a way to "tie down" the tame or something like that instead of having to chase it all over hells half acre to bola it if you don't have a taming pen or are somewhere that you can not build one.

2 hours ago, Phantomstrk said:

The way bola taming works is you have to get the create down health wise to a low level so you can tame it.  Then once you bola it at low health it "knocks out" and a bola timer starts which shows you how long it will be before it wakes up.  So what you do is you feed it until you get close to the bola timer ending, then go back on the ramp and you have to work it down to low health again and then re-bola it.  Work it down to low health with bow and arrow taking non head shots.

As yoiu read in this thread..maybe you missed it someone wrote:

You have to approach the downed creature from the backside to get the feed option. It wanted Prime Meat. WE gave it, was fine.. Bola timer went down so I tried to re-apply the bola, no dice. The bola doesn't let you re-apply it. It eats 1-2 times bola timer wears down and animal stands up. We tried knockiung it down again to see if taming progress stays, it doesn't. 

Sounds pretty broken to me,then again maybe your wolf was low level.Im not sure as I havnt tried yet,thankfully on my islands no wolves,just tigers and crocks,so might try on tiger,if ill learn anything new ill post here.