uaf

Chinese sinking our galleon right now

You can sink anything as a solo person. The issue is both good and bad. When I salvaged a wrecked galleon I could walk around, abeit slowly, with like 40000 weight. Enough to sink any ship despite level or upgrades.

You can get same weight by stacking up tools and go crazy harvesting.

I don´t get how they managed to fix a "floating on ships" but didn´t see the grappling or ladder issue. If not mistaken the only ship you can´t sink currently is a raft?

This game is at its best on RP PVP servers 😛 100% Whitelisted ones. You get to immerse yourself as Pirates/Navy/Merchants and build towns that look like the trailer and fight wars on even ground and don't have to worry about players exploiting/offlining/griefing.  heh heh heh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herasea said:

What about those who RP on PvE realms?

Really, whats more important? Stop griefing? or satisfying 2% of the PVE Playerbase that wants to Grapple on some ships once or twice per week?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shintai said:

You can sink anything as a solo person. The issue is both good and bad. When I salvaged a wrecked galleon I could walk around, abeit slowly, with like 40000 weight. Enough to sink any ship despite level or upgrades.

You can get same weight by stacking up tools and go crazy harvesting.

I don´t get how they managed to fix a "floating on ships" but didn´t see the grappling or ladder issue. If not mistaken the only ship you can´t sink currently is a raft?

Probably a quick fix. Probably new one in next patch, or not. 

12 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Perhaps you should stop sucking up to the devs and pretending everything they do is perfect.

You need to get your head out of your ass and read the forums. I am NOT one to suck up to the devs. Read my posts and you'll find out I'm just as pissed off and just as vocal and just as critical about what's screwed up as everyone else. The difference between me and you is, I write code and I understand just how difficult it is to prevent unintended ways that the code is used. The code for this game is MILLIONS of lines... do you understand that? MILLIONS of lines and much of that is written by another company who makes the gaming engine. Do you understand that?  That changing that entire gaming engine isn't as easy as you would like to imagine.  If you think it's so damned easy, why don't you go out and download Unreal Engine and write your own game... it's free.

I'm going to say this again and maybe it'll sink into your thick skull. They have attempted one fix already and will most likely attempt more. Just be glad I'm not one of the dev's otherwise I would have already thrown my hands up in the air at your brand of ignorance, looked at the other devs and said, "Well, we made bank.  What's our next project?"

1 minute ago, Anotep said:

Really, whats more important? Stop griefing? or satisfying 2% of the PVE Playerbase that wants to Grapple on some ships once or twice per week?

You would have thought, but literally after the other fix people stormed the forums complaining that can't act as stowaways or view other peoples ships or immersion.

But i concede and think that's a good suggestion, i'm not one to be petty and no admit something. Hopefully they will do this in another update, unless someone else know a reason why not

22 minutes ago, Herasea said:

What about those who RP on PvE realms?

Really? Do you just argue for the sake of it? 😛 RP players not being able to grapple surely is a small price to pay in comparison. 

3 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Really? Do you just argue for the sake of it? 😛 RP players not being able to grapple surely is a small price to pay in comparison. 

Read my above post, admitted it wasn't a bad suggestion. i.e my previous post before that was stupid  

Edited by Herasea

35 minutes ago, DinoRex said:

I really can’t see a pirate game being PVE

If they ever happen to get a grip on the aimbots/hacks and "breaches" of admin passwords im happy to move there.

Just now, Herasea said:

Read my above post, admitted it wasn't a bad suggestion 

That was while i replied, my bad.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

You need to get your head out of your ass and read the forums. I am NOT one to suck up to the devs. Read my posts and you'll find out I'm just as pissed off and just as vocal and just as critical about what's screwed up as everyone else. The difference between me and you is, I write code and I understand just how difficult it is to prevent unintended ways that the code is used. The code for this game is MILLIONS of lines... do you understand that? MILLIONS of lines and much of that is written by another company who makes the gaming engine. Do you understand that?  That changing that entire gaming engine isn't as easy as you would like to imagine.  If you think it's so damned easy, why don't you go out and download Unreal Engine and write your own game... it's free. 

I'm going to say this again and maybe it'll sink into your thick skull. They have attempted one fix already and will most likely attempt more. Just be glad I'm not one of the dev's otherwise I would have already thrown my hands up in the air at your brand of ignorance, looked at the other devs and said, "Well, we made bank.  What's our next project?"

Thats quite the baffling with BS going on there. :classic_blink: The millions in caps really sets it off- do you understand that? MILLIONS

Changing features of the game is easy,  once you know how, and I am assuming they do..

TakeDamage- If they are not in your company  then damage goes to the instigator and their whole group, their dead and all the weight they carried goes away. Start with a little visual damage so they know there is an issue, and after a few seconds disintegrate them. Dont forget to make it in a big enough radius so everyone gets in on the enjoyment. Gibalicious.  If its you and possibly your ally then it works as intended.

Its a bit lame that they allow a person to carry an ungodly amount of weight like they do anyway even when overweight, at the very least that should make them take their own damage as well kinda like eating too much.

So basically everything is already in in game blueprints already so it is not that hard at all. Unintended consequences? Maybe but its just a thought off the top of my head.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Thats quite the baffling with BS going on there. :classic_blink: The millions in caps really sets it off- do you understand that? MILLIONS

Changing features of the game is easy,  once you know how, and I am assuming they do..

TakeDamage- If they are not in your company  then damage goes to the instigator and their whole group, their dead and all the weight they carried goes away. Start with a little visual damage so they know there is an issue, and after a few seconds disintegrate them. Dont forget to make it in a big enough radius so everyone gets in on the enjoyment. Gibalicious.  If its you and possibly your ally then it works as intended.

Its a bit lame that they allow a person to carry an ungodly amount of weight like they do anyway even when overweight, at the very least that should make them take their own damage as well kinda like eating too much.

So basically everything is already in in game blueprints already so it is not that hard at all. Unintended consequences? Maybe but its just a thought off the top of my head.

I totally share your opinion. 

1 hour ago, Jean Lafitte said:

The difference between me and you is, I write code and I understand just how difficult it is to prevent unintended ways that the code is used. The code for this game is MILLIONS of lines... do you understand that? MILLIONS of lines and much of that is written by another company who makes the gaming engine. Do you understand that?  That changing that entire gaming engine isn't as easy as you would like to imagine.  If you think it's so damned easy, why don't you go out and download Unreal Engine and write your own game... it's free.

Fun fact: While I generally don't mention what I do for a living in online discussions I actually have a BS in Software Engineering and work as a programmer for a living. I've even worked as a programmer (and designer) on multiple games, including one built in Unreal 4. Again, I don't generally bring that up but I'm not going to sit here and be lectured to by some kid that's played around in Unreal for a couple hours and thinks they're an expert. To respond to what you said: 

1. I have no idea how many lines of code make up Atlas and neither do you. It could be a million or it could be less depending on a LOT of factors. Unreal is capable of taking care of a lot of things for you and you can make full games without ever writing a single line of C++ code. I'm sure that's not the case here but it does make it hard to know just how many lines of custom C++ code the game contains (the engine source code doesn't count unless its been heavily edited).  

2. Total code means jack shit when it comes to solving a specific issue. Honestly, that line right there is what shows you don't actually know much about software engineering or working on a large project. Software projects, including games, are broken into a bunch of smaller code files. You don't have to pour over millions of lines of code to make changes to specific game systems, you simply edit the code files (and with Unreal, perhaps the BPs) specifically associated with the system(s) you're changing.... which are likely a tiny part of the overall project.

If you've never worked on a large project than sure, it might be intimidating or down right scary to open the project files for something like Atlas. However, when you do it for a living and know what you're looking at its really not. Most of the project is irrelevant to you at any given time.  

3. I'm also not really sure what you're getting at by pointing out the source code for the engine was written by a different company. What does that have to do with this? I suppose its possible they made changes to the source code to make the weight sinking system possible... but I seriously doubt it. I can think of several ways to make such a system in Unreal without ever touching the source. Hell, you could do it in BP if you wanted and never write a single line of C++, although it probably wouldn't be very efficient. 

4. Now one thing you're right on in your last post is that its not always super easy to make changes to an established code base. However for professional developers and a well organized project its not exactly rocket science either and like most things the difficulty in making changes depends on a lot of factors. 

5. While I've never worked on a project with a large active community, it wouldn't bother me to see someone complaining about a game breaking bug that we've failed to address for weeks on end that is causing people significant lost time. I'd know that's on us and there wouldn't be much of an excuse to be made on our part. It would be far more frustrating to see people defending such a failure by spewing a bunch of nonsense. 

Anyway, I don't like irrational debates so I'm done revisiting this discussion with you (post a reply all you want, I won't read it). The bottom line is being a software engineer and at times a designer is actually why this issue is so frustrating to me. If I was working on a game and there was a bug like this it would be top priority. Its an issue that allows PVP on a PVE server. That is the definition of game breaking and should be an all hands on deck high priority issue that gets solved immediately. Its obvious that has not been the case here (plenty of other fixes for smaller issues and content have been added since this was first reported) and the devs should be held to account for that. End of debate.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I actually have a BS in Software Engineering and work as a programmer for a living.

Then I shouldn't have to give you a childish lecture on just how difficult it is to make stable, idiot proof code should I?  Nor should I have to sit here and have your educated ass lecture me about being a fanboy because we both know what we're talking about.

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

If I was working on a game and there was a bug like this it would be top priority. Its an issue that allows PVP on a PVE server. That is the definition of game breaking and should be an all hands on deck high priority issue that gets solved immediately. Its obvious that has not been the case here (plenty of other fixes for smaller issues and content have been added since this was first reported) and the devs should be held to account for that. End of debate.

I didn't disagree with that but you're looking at a dev TEAM, not one individual who knows the entire code base.  Changes to one function could have drastic effects across a lot of other parts of the code and it's not as simple as one guy in one department working on one set of code saying... hummm... I just fix that now.

3 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/what-is-unreal-engine-4

or you want something easier?  Try Unity.

https://unity3d.com/

Come back in 6 months when you have a working knowledge of C# programming and either of these engines and say that again.

Well providing me with a link to UE and Unity shows me how much you know.  I have most likely written a million lines of code for the Unreal Engine all the way back to UT99. Way before the blueprints were around. Thus I said how easy it was. Also why I called you out for baffling with BS. That apparently has not stopped yet.

Also I provided a solution of sorts, how about you? A MILLION I suppose..

59 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

I didn't disagree with that but you're looking at a dev TEAM, not one individual who knows the entire code base.  Changes to one function could have drastic effects across a lot of other parts of the code and it's not as simple as one guy in one department working on one set of code saying... hummm... I just fix that now. 

Actually thats exactly how OOP works. :classic_biggrin:

It's actually very simple, and would fix several issues.

1. In PvE, non-company players do not count against the crew, or weight.  To remain on the ship, you must be given permission by a company Admin.  If no permission is given, you are killed.  The company admins should be able to inspect your weight, before giving you permission to stay on the ship, and you should not be able to add to that weight once on the ship, since there is no way of adding to your weight except what is already on the ship.  If you leave the ship, you can only return if your weight is not higher than when you were allowed to join.  If it is higher, you must get permission again, or dump weight.

2. Animals need to be part of the weight, not crew.  Wild animals should never count against either.  This solves them being used to grief.  Tames of other tribes should be treated the same as people in #1 above.  If not given permission to stay, it will be killed after a set timer.  Basically you start taking small hits to health that cannot be recovered so long as you are on the ship.

Until the Admin of a Company gives permission to be on the ship, other non-company people and tames should not count against the weight.  Neither should ever count against crew.  I shouldn't have to kill NPC crew, to pick up Allied survivors of a ship sinking in battle.  Having to do so, to keep from sinking, is just absurd.

A lot of people don't want this to be ARK with ships, so having to build ugly ARK style monstrosities to keep ships safe while in port, should not be necessary.  ARK was an ugly game on PvP servers.  I and others don't want to see that brought to this game.  This means the Devs have to do a better job of controlling how PvP happens, such that making hideous looking structures is not necessary.

7 hours ago, Stationmonkey said:

Simple suggestion... Fight fire with fire. Grapple onto their ships over encumbered. Whining about it does nothing. If they fix it eventually then yay. But while waiting for it to be fixed.... Well Tit for Tat I say.

So what happens if they get caught grieving after taking your advice? 

Mare you willing to take the blame and take the ban? If not then please don’t be stupid anymore

7 hours ago, Implicitlee said:

lmfao that us such the wrong attitude, lowering yourself to their standards really?

Eyes for an eye and teeth for a tooth!

As a simple solution why don't the devs just remove weight limits on ships for the time being? There, fixed until something better comes along.

Edited by Stabby

3 minutes ago, Stabby said:

Eyes for an eye and teeth for a tooth!

As a simple solution why don't the devs just remove weight limits on ships for the time being? There, fixed until something better comes along.

Eye for an eye is pretty stupid though. Just like in school, the kid that hits back always gets in trouble. Don’t get this guy banned because you don’t like what’s going on. That makes you the problem after that 

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

Eye for an eye is pretty stupid though. Just like in school, the kid that hits back always gets in trouble. Don’t get this guy banned because you don’t like what’s going on. That makes you the problem after that 

The problem is that it's an in game mechanic. If you're capable of doing it, it's intended. That's how I look at things like this. If they wanted it solved they could solve it. Sure, there's no easy fix that will appease everyone, but leaving it in place is the same as saying "it's okay".

As a soldier of 12 years I am of an offensive mindset. If you mess with me I will get you back ten fold. So I said it correct when I said "eyes for an eye and teeth for a tooth".

Edited by Stabby

7 minutes ago, Stabby said:

The problem is that it's an in game mechanic. If you're capable of doing it, it's intended. That's how I look at things like this. If they wanted it solved they could solve it. Sure, there's no easy fix that will appease everyone, but leaving it in place is the same as saying "it's okay".

As a soldier of 12 years I am of an offensive mindset. If you mess with me I will get you back ten fold. So I said it correct when I said "eyes for an eye and teeth for a tooth".

Yeah except you forgot you aren’t in the war zone anymore. This could be a teenager or less that you are telling to knowingly exploit a game which could end up getting them banned as well.

as far as real world goes, you get two eyes for one eye. Less than that and the lesson won’t be learned.

It's up the Devs to deal with this.  If it is against the rules, they need to enforce their rules.  Bans must be issued.  They also need to adequately address their ridiculous game mechanics, such as non-crew counting as crew.  FFS, somebody else's monkey, is not part of your crew...and neither is yours.  It's a fucking monkey...or parrot...or horse...or lion.  It's not a crew member.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that.   The fact that these numbskulls can't see that this negatively affects game play...I mean...you want to take your parrot to sea with you...right?  But the captain of the ship says no...because he won't give up a spot for an NPC cannon shooter, for a friggin parrot on your shoulder.  Yeah...less fun...just what we all wanted.  I know that making games is not easy, but the decisions devs make sometimes, just boggles your mind.