uaf

Chinese sinking our galleon right now

What is so damn hard about just not letting anchored ships sink with overweight and instead pin them down? No way to exploit it and faster than the current crappy "fix" that only brought problems. Makes you wonder if any of them even play this game. 

I got sunk in open sea by a Ship Of The Damned as soon as my ship sunk I died, I wasn't left bobbing around I just died, why are these griefers just not dying when the ship sinks?

4 minutes ago, Grongash said:

What is so damn hard about just not letting anchored ships sink with overweight and instead pin them down? No way to exploit it and faster than the current crappy "fix" that only brought problems. Makes you wonder if any of them even play this game. 

i think it's an easier said than done. Also that means they will jump on your ship and log-out, meaning your ship won't be usable anymore. it's better, but still exploitable.

14 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Its "Wildcard" we speak About.... 😛

4 minutes ago, Herasea said:

i think it's an easier said than done. Also that means they will jump on your ship and log-out, meaning your ship won't be usable anymore. it's better, but still exploitable.

You can simply drag logged out Players.....

Edited by Caduryn

4 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Well, I see several problems here.

First, there's the over-crew issue whereby they could essentially sink you just by tossing a gob of passive/nofollow chickens on your ship (wait, did I just give them ideas?)
Second, there's the overweight issue.

Now, if they simply prevented ships at anchor from being made overweight then of course they wouldn't sink.  But what about when you lift anchor?  What was to prevent them from all jumping aboard your ship and sinking it that way?  If they had prevented ships from moving when overweight, what's to prevent them from all boarding your ship and preventing it from moving as a griefing tactic or, as I suggested, just tossing a bunch of chickens on your ship that you can't get rid of and just walking away, causing you to be over crew the minute you lift anchor

What they have to come up with is a method that prevents unintended weight, not added by the company or the owner AND unintended crew being added without allowing a griefing method.  That may not be as easy as it sounds as it creates even more issues. One thing I've done in the past to allow for easier trades is to unlock some boxes on my ship so the trader can easily transfer items without having to toss them on the ground.  How to you allow that to happen without allowing the potential for griefing?

Look, they've already attempted one fix. It's not a complete fix but it has prevented one type of griefing and forced them to switch to others.

I've always said that writing code is easy.  Making it idiot proof is the hard part.  They're learning from their mistakes as we progress and are attempting to fix them.

For now, all we can do is keep making them aware of these methods and hope they fix them quickly as they come up.

7 minutes ago, Grongash said:

My honest guess? The developer that came up with the overweight system thinks its the cleverest thing in the world and doesn't want to touch it. Seriously, there is no other excuse unless their backend systems are such a mess that its extremely complicated to make such a change... which would reflect pretty negatively on the dev teams ability to be honest. 

And its pretty clear they never actually tested the current "fix" for the weight problem. I mean, making it a death sentence to step on a raft by accident yet still allowing non-allied players to grapple your ship and climb your ladders is just horribly sloppy.  

1 minute ago, Herasea said:

The current fix could still be left in place so people aren't able to board your ship in PVE (although it needs to be fixed so you don't get stuck to the damn thing if you accidently step on a raft). Conversely, since they already have the systems in place to detect that other players are on the ship they could add a radial menu option to "expel" players from the ship so if someone does get on, you can kick them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herasea said:

Well.. make it so you can handcuff/cage non company players that logout on your ship and bam.. new feature and profession.

3 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

You can simply drag logged out Players.....

Not enemies in PVE, you can't.

Maybe the group from Thailand?

Pvp, I agree, fight back but, it is PvE, players shouldn't have to "fight back" even if they could "fight back" and most people would rather NOT use exploited mechanics in the game, I know it is hard for some of you to imagine that there is something wrong with cheating at a game, but, it is wrong.

Edited by Liatni

2 minutes ago, Razorwire said:

Not enemies in PVE, you can't.

pretty much, also if they're over weight, which if they allowed will add another exploit which we had before

So again, it's not as easy and straight forward as we would like it too be.

Just now, Herasea said:

pretty much, also if they're over weight, which if they allowed will add another exploit which we had before

So again, it's not as easy and straight forward as we would like it too be.

Make sure you cant hold onto a grapple hook when overcumbered. And another one they abuse would be gone. But hey... We get new "features" like the foy shoved down our throat that no one asked for. Priorities.

1 hour ago, Implicitlee said:

lmfao that us such the wrong attitude, lowering yourself to their standards really?

Absolutely. You're a pirate not a princess... if you wait for the devs you'll keep losing stuff instead of fighting fire with fire.

MAN UP.

Z

2 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Make sure you cant hold onto a grapple hook when overcumbered. And another one they abuse would be gone. But hey... We get new "features" like the foy shoved down our throat that no one asked for. Priorities.

Again, that may not be so easy to fix.  What if they're just 1 under being encumbered?  Do you still allow that grappling hook to work? How about climbing picks?  What about zipline anchors?  At what point do you say those things won't work?  50%?  Well, ok, so it takes twice as many of them.

14 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Well.. make it so you can handcuff/cage non company players that logout on your ship and bam.. new feature and profession.

Ok, so in this scenario they all build cages and put them on your ship.  They then toss chickens in that cage and lock it so you don't have access to it and you... are over crew and can't do jack about it.

I haven't tested this theory but from the way this game works, yea, I should be able to sink ships with chickens.

2 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

First, there's the over-crew issue whereby they could essentially sink you just by tossing a gob of passive/nofollow chickens on your ship (wait, did I just give them ideas?)

Second, there's the overweight issue.

Now, if they simply prevented ships at anchor from being made overweight then of course they wouldn't sink.  But what about when you lift anchor?  What was to prevent them from all jumping aboard your ship and sinking it that way?  If they had prevented ships from moving when overweight, what's to prevent them from all boarding your ship and preventing it from moving as a griefing tactic or, as I suggested, just tossing a bunch of chickens on your ship that you can't get rid of and just walking away, causing you to be over crew the minute you lift anchor

1. It'd be pretty hard to jump on your ship after you start moving. Its takes time to move with a ton of weight on you so its not like you could run and spring your way onto someones ship really quick once they raised anchor. 

2. Same goes with griefers trying to pile a ton of crew on your boat when you lift anchor. Pretty damn sure you'd notice 20 people waiting to jump on your ship... if you decide to raise anchor in that situation, its your own fault. 

3. Yes, if you can board other players ships and they don't move when overweight that could also be exploited. However, I'd much rather have to deal with that than the fucking thing sinking as a result. Not to mention it should be easy to add an "expel" option to "enemy" players and tames that are on your ship so in PVE you can kick players off your board. 

What they have to come up with is a method that prevents unintended weight, not added by the company or the owner AND unintended crew being added without allowing a griefing method.  That may not be as easy as it sounds as it creates even more issues. One thing I've done in the past to allow for easier trades is to unlock some boxes on my ship so the trader can easily transfer items without having to toss them on the ground.  How to you allow that to happen without allowing the potential for griefing?

There is no way to do that. Its impossible to tell the difference between unintended and intended weight in most cases. All weight on the ship has to be calculated otherwise it can be exploited... its just that, while anchored, ships shouldn't sink due to weight and you should be able to remove people from your boat that you don't want there.  

Look, they've already attempted one fix. It's not a complete fix but it has prevented one type of griefing and forced them to switch to others.

I've always said that writing code is easy.  Making it idiot proof is the hard part.  They're learning from their mistakes as we progress and are attempting to fix them.

For now, all we can do is keep making them aware of these methods and hope they fix them quickly as they come up.

You're giving them too much credit while over stating how complex most of these fixes like are. They've been aware of the problem since day one and all they've done is spent a few minutes hacking up a lame ass solution they didn't even bother to test. Plenty of other things have been fixed and added but this issue has received very little attention despite how big of a problem it is. Its not that its super complex, because its not... its that they don't care. This issue impacts solo players, small groups and PVE... none of which the devs really care about. 

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

its that they don't care. 

If they didn't care they wouldn't have bothered with the first attempted fix.  Get a grip.

I mean, I swear that some of you would cheat at Chess out there, I place piece down "check", you reach over and snag a queen off the next table and plop it down, "Check mate, I win, lrn  to play nub."

12 minutes ago, Grongash said:

What if it's more than one person? 5 to 10 people at 50% weight or just enough to grapple? 

3 minutes ago, Jean Lafitte said:

Again, that may not be so easy to fix.  What if they're just 1 under being encumbered?  Do you still allow that grappling hook to work? How about climbing picks?  What about zipline anchors?  At what point do you say those things won't work?  50%?  Well, ok, so it takes twice as many of them.

Grappling hooks/Climbing picks dont have to work on ships you dont own in general in PvE. 

• Like 1

Since nobody is actually doing something against it, why dont you guys band togheter and grief them back? There should be more european players on EU servers then chinese atm. Track them down and grief back. 

Edited by Anotep

2 hours ago, Jean Lafitte said:

If they didn't care they wouldn't have bothered with the first attempted fix.  Get a grip.

It took them weeks of being harassed on twitter and the forums to implement that "fix"... and it was extremely half hearted. Given all the other things that are far less important that have received attention since launch, its pretty obvious this is a low priority issue.  

Perhaps you should stop sucking up to the devs and pretending everything they do is perfect. I enjoy Atlas and will (and have) give them props when deserved but on this issue they have dropped several balls and deserve a lot of criticism. If all youre going to do is give them lip service here, perhaps you should find a different topic to do it in.  

2 hours ago, Anotep said:

Since nobody is actually doing something against it, why dont you guys band togheter and grief them back? There should be more european players on EU servers then chinese atm. Track them down and grief back. 

Just a guess here but it probably has something to do with playing on a PvE server specifically not to be doing battle with other players. If the only solution is to wage open PvP on a PvE server.... things are really broken. 

Edited by MaxPower
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Just a guess here but it probably has something to do with playing on a PvE server specifically not to be doing battle with other players.... 

It should be like this but reality is an asshole sometimes xD

Well then consider this pirate game is Pvp in its truest form (besides the sploits) and consider the PvE and not the true pirate game but, rather a place for many players to enjoy the PvE content of the game. Because, that is what it is there for. What you imagine or not. 😛

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

It took them weeks of being harassed on twitter and the forums to implement that "fix"... and it was extremely half hearted. Given all the other things that are far less important that have received attention since launch, its pretty obvious this is a low priority issue.  

Perhaps you should stop sucking up to the devs and pretending everything they do is perfect. I enjoy Atlas and will (and have) give them props when deserved but on this issue they have dropped several balls and deserve a lot of criticism. If all your going to do is give them lip service here, perhaps you should find a different topic to do it in.  

You said it in your first sentence, they were harassed non-stop to implement something, what did you want them to do? Not do anything to they find a solution?

They tried something to temporally help, was it the best? Not at all, but it was something, anything that would dampen the destruction. The amount of posts now compared to before about losing ships is much lower, so it did help, it's just people are A-holes and will do whatever they can to screw others over. So no, no one is sucking up or saying it's perfect, where did you read that? Hate when people make up BS because they can't be bothered to debate it anymore.

9 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Grappling hooks/Climbing picks dont have to work on ships you dont own in general in PvE. 

What about those who RP on PvE realms?