Beylerbeyi

foy Lets hear your ideas about age mechanic - FOY ?

13 minutes ago, darcek said:

I vote to keep foy mechanic as is. What needs to be fixed is the server crushing under large amount of users connected, all the technical bugs giving people with bad internet connection or low settings and also nerf Sod attacking helpless people coming from other zone with gun less ships. 

Server crashing due to too many players on one server can not be "fixed", it´s inherent in the system. The used netcode is not intended for so many players. The only fix is to remove that mechanism cause there is no way making it work. Beside that this FOY thing is utterly useless nonsense and adds nothing to the game.

• Haha 1

I love it.... But instead have bottles that Give out a FoY map.  Quality determine how much in reverse age it can do.   

Another idea i had to make a craftable Brew from FoY... by harvesting FoY water and using it for the company for those that cant be on 24/7.    But seriously Your idea is even better.   I also like to add that when doing FoY map run.   it spawns A gorgon  Plus some Soliders.   

10 minutes ago, Dragoon14th said:

I love it.... But instead have bottles that Give out a FoY map.  Quality determine how much in reverse age it can do.   

Another idea i had to make a craftable Brew from FoY... by harvesting FoY water and using it for the company for those that cant be on 24/7.    But seriously Your idea is even better.   I also like to add that when doing FoY map run.   it spawns A gorgon  Plus some Soliders.   

Age, and the FOY get in the way of the core of the game. You shouldn't want a mechanic in a game that does nothing but make it worse.

Give me a good reason why you want age, and i'll explain how it isn't worth the cost. This game already has half the playerbase of ark after FOY drop. You really should be pushing for them to drop the mechanic.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Age, and the FOY get in the way of the core of the game. You shouldn't want a mechanic in a game that does nothing but make it worse.

Give me a good reason why you want age, and i'll explain how it isn't worth the cost. This game already has half the playerbase of ark after FOY drop. You really should be pushing for them to drop the mechanic.

Here a reason for ya if a player is deem inactive for a long time then the Age will slowly erase his data therefore marking Ship/bases own by him would be much easier to take over.   AS i believe the real reason behind age mechanic.  Is to introduce Player decay rate.  So without a sleeping body being there that mean its get easier to take over old bases and such to allow new player to step in... Omg that like real life lol.  

2 minutes ago, Dragoon14th said:

Here a reason for ya if a player is deem inactive for a long time then the Age will slowly erase his data therefore marking Ship/bases own by him would be much easier to take over.   AS i believe the real reason behind age mechanic.  Is to introduce Player decay rate.  So without a sleeping body being there that mean its get easier to take over old bases and such to allow new player to step in... Omg that like real life lol.  

So why not simply remove the player after a period of time?

Just now, Charles U Farley said:

So why not simply remove the player after a period of time?

Player age is exactly what you just described 

Just now, Dragoon14th said:

Player age is exactly what you just described 

ok, i understand. why should they do it the simple way if there is a complicated and annoying way to do too.

1 minute ago, Charles U Farley said:

ok, i understand. why should they do it the simple way if there is a complicated and annoying way to do too.

Well i dont know... I didnt build the game nor would i build their game using Ark code.   Id would have gone ahead and get Ue4.21 and rebuild the game with better Actor parenting and Actor components... and to use Data table to be used as better data management.  and Less buggy issue.  So basically what happen was that they didnt want to rebuild the game to better suit Atlas Views so they took an existing game and mod it... in hope that it would be more fun then ark.   but really what they have done is screwed themselves over... dont get me wrong the artist that they have are really good.... it just the developer that they are lacking at this point.   They need to have a seperate team of dev to rebuild the game in a different version and then re-tool their Blueprints to better suit their needs.   I gaunteed that the game would run alot better and less laggy,  as well as im sure you all guess it... by using Ue4.21 improved network capability  they can increase pop count on each grid.   

I think you are aware of the fact, that this would have meant to start coding from scratch. There is no such thing as simple retooling when changing the engine. This game just wouldn´t exist cause no one would pay the costs for it.

?  have you used Ue4 ? now for granted i havent done C++ blueprint yet.   but As far as im aware Ue4 makes it extremely easy to do this.   Like for example Let say in your game you have 400 type of monsters but within those monster you have sub group such as Wolves, bear,  demon,  mermaid,  etc.   so you would first figure out that Monster base parent Should have these variable and then you create a child class and then you just work your way through determine that each child should inherit variable and component.  So that As a bear and a wolf would have different Parent but each of those parent 's Parent would be the controller variable and event that all animal should behave.   And with using actor component you can custom code and easily change how blueprint behaves.  Compare Ark dev kit and Conan exile dev kit.    And see how they are structured.  You will see what i mean.   Ive had ALOT of modder who came from modding ark.... Said that Modding CE is ALOT easier to deal with since they have proper Data management and stuff.   And you guess it they use Data table for their items to control from a central source to influence what each item does.   So it takes alot away from Blueprint to blueprint to Data table to load in values on the fly and can change for easier balancing.   

If anyone got the time compare the two... and come back to me with your opinion.   Let me put it this way I can mod CE on this PC as 16 gb of ram is enough.    But with ARk or Atlas i cannot do it there too much Referencing and unused variable that bogs down the system rams.   

I´m on unity, sorry.

I get your point, but this way you will only have it on a new engine but you will poorly benefit from it. And i doubt that this will work with a project this big without messing the classes completely up.

2 hours ago, Tina Toothpick said:

A character should never age because it doesn't add anything interesting to the game.. Literally nothing

Remove age altogether.

I challenge any of you to tell me anything age actually brings to the core of the game; go ahead. You'll soon realize you're asking for a rework on a mechanic that is utterly meaningless, and provides nothing to the game. All it brings is annoyance and ugliness. Why would i want that over just enjoying the game?

Why though?

Actually tell me why you think this brings anything to the game? You're asking for reworks on a mechanic that only makes the game worse in whatever form.

The best place for age is in the character creator.. It doesn't belong in the game.. I can't be bothered to deal with it over and over, and i'll just end up quitting if it is left it. It is a boring pointless hassle.

Brings anything to the game? Every game has absolute useless shit. This is Atlas’ one. I don’t mind it, since for me the FoY was easy. I get people have problems with it, but this was only the first test of hopefully many more. 

• Like 1

they need to re do the classes anyway as they have have too many variables that are not in use on every single one of them for example On animals they have the vitamin ABCD as variables.   And I dont see a damn thing that makes them different from players.   they use hte same set up tamed wild alpha etc.   for each variable that are not in use on a Blueprint just Add more saved data onto the game that doesnt need to be there.  I cant see what in the parent class of those BP to see the blueprint events to see whats going on.  But it depends on how they have it set up.   I know from in Dark n light dev kit I belive they use the same stuff?  I was able to see stuff... and my god they used event tick on everything.... that really bad.... because that mean that Every frame tick it was updating variable and checking variable.   It was strange to be honest.   Id would have changed it from every event tick to Signaling when an action has been done .... im sure you know the... different between Input -> action... And The need to Check every frame (did I press A) boolean -> action

Those are examples that ive seen personally.   And i did a test a couple of times in UE4 and that was Avoid event tick at all cost instead change it to a dispatcher/callable so that input call action instead of Ticking checking input.  Those are just examples also there a really good Video that explains what i mean by Parenting child and actor component.  (://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNjuA6yhO8)  Sorry i dont want to add the forum with youtube vid but basically he goes indepth of how he retooled his game to be remotely easier and accessiable as well as being able to use important component to determine the Blueprint actor actions

• Like 1

Just now, Dragoon14th said:

they need to re do the classes anyway as they have have too many variables that are not in use on every single one of them for example On animals they have the vitamin ABCD as variables.   And I dont see a damn thing that makes them different from players.   they use hte same set up tamed wild alpha etc.   for each variable that are not in use on a Blueprint just Add more saved data onto the game that doesnt need to be there.  I cant see what in the parent class of those BP to see the blueprint events to see whats going on.  But it depends on how they have it set up.   I know from in Dark n light dev kit I belive they use the same stuff?  I was able to see stuff... and my god they used event tick on everything.... that really bad.... because that mean that Every frame tick it was updating variable and checking variable.   It was strange to be honest.   Id would have changed it from every event tick to Signaling when an action has been done .... im sure you know the... different between Input -> action... And The need to Check every frame (did I press A) boolean -> action

Those are examples that ive seen personally.   And i did a test a couple of times in UE4 and that was Avoid event tick at all cost instead change it to a dispatcher/callable so that input call action instead of Ticking checking input.  Those are just examples also there a really good Video that explains what i mean by Parenting child and actor component.  (://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNjuA6yhO8)  Sorry i dont want to add the forum with youtube vid but basically he goes indepth of how he retooled his game to be remotely easier and accessiable as well as being able to use important component to determine the Blueprint actor actions

Please don´t get me wrong DRAGOON14TH. You are absolutely right that there could be a huge performance increase transforming the project. But the amount of time to do it and the problem that a lot of dependencies are useless for Atlas(and a lot would be necessary but a lot of work to do) is too time consuming and cause of that too expensive.

And yes you are right, DnL used a very early ARK build and they got rid of the Problem soon, btw that is a perfect example that there is no simple converting of projects.