Sign in to follow this  
sand man

Devs, please add offline Single player option

On 1/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, wildbill said:

You can't actually run a server on your machine an log into it. The game does not allow login from the same subnet, so in other words, no LAN mode.

You can rent a server, but that is beyond the technical abilities of many players, because that is just step one of many things you need to do before you have your own server functioning (one of the things is that you need to make the map using a tool provided by Grapeshot).

Ya, but have you or your 8 year old actually tried to set on up? There are reasons everyone is not doing this.

u set up the dedicated serv on your own pc , or are u not reading the many replies in this thread to explain this, three are now tools available to make this easy for everyone with half a brain or less ....

u then connect to it though the normal atlas launcher selecting unnofficial server , find the server you set up and play ..

11 minutes ago, 3sixtyy said:

Yes but in single player can have all map just for ur self and build where u want and noone destroy ur hardwork. In rented server u must pay again to play the same game

omg read the replies in this thread , u dont need to rent anything ...

Edited by UDO

Which is why you download the server files and run them yourself. Same way you can run your own dedicated ark server from your machine. No renting of servers necessary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapier2012 said:

Which is why you download the server files and run them yourself. Same way you can run your own dedicated ark server from your machine. No renting of servers necessary

But do you need LAN to run it ??

14 hours ago, UDO said:

u set up the dedicated serv on your own pc , or are u not reading the many replies in this thread to explain this, three are now tools available to make this easy for everyone with half a brain or less ....

u then connect to it though the normal atlas launcher selecting unnofficial server , find the server you set up and play ..

omg read the replies in this thread , u dont need to rent anything ...

Thanks for explaining this. I read the guys post that made the post about the 15 x 15 grid tool, but I swear, he did not make it clear how it solved some of the local server problems.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:56 PM, wildbill said:

You can't actually run a server on your machine an log into it. The game does not allow login from the same subnet, so in other words, no LAN mode.

You can rent a server, but that is beyond the technical abilities of many players, because that is just step one of many things you need to do before you have your own server functioning (one of the things is that you need to make the map using a tool provided by Grapeshot).

Ya, but have you or your 8 year old actually tried to set on up? There are reasons everyone is not doing this.

I currently have a 3X3 server running on the same subnet.  I haven't tried using the same computer as I'm gaming on but I have multiple computer on my local network. I'm currently using this as a testing server to get my all my configs set up while I wait for the Linux release to actually work on modern version of Linux.

With players leaving this game because of all the Griefing, and modded servers being tricky to work at best surely its time to add an offline option so people can build and explore in peace,,, Come on Devs, do the right thing.

1 hour ago, sand man said:

With players leaving this game because of all the Griefing, and modded servers being tricky to work at best surely its time to add an offline option so people can build and explore in peace,,, Come on Devs, do the right thing.

There are unofficials that are not modded and you can already setup a unofficial that has the entire map.  These unofficials are not terrible or tricky to work with I've hopped on quite a few, setup my own and helped setup a cluster.  Not all the settings are out yet and we are clearly missing some INI information that will be valuable to have once released but lets not act like you can't toss up a 1x1 or a 3x3 or whatever with default setting and play the game.  That option just comes with paying some money to get the servers running and most everything will be taken care of for you by the service provider.

Also let's not try to make this a question of morals, this isn't a right or wrong thing.  It's a feature that this early on in the EA development they've decided not to setup and they have not told us their plans so it's entirely possible that once the MMO side of things is working a bit better they go down the path of working on a single player mode, if that is what they want that is. 

There are plenty of online only mmo games and plenty of single player only games.  

14 hours ago, Vaenix said:

There are unofficials that are not modded and you can already setup a unofficial that has the entire map.  These unofficials are not terrible or tricky to work with I've hopped on quite a few, setup my own and helped setup a cluster.  Not all the settings are out yet and we are clearly missing some INI information that will be valuable to have once released but lets not act like you can't toss up a 1x1 or a 3x3 or whatever with default setting and play the game.  That option just comes with paying some money to get the servers running and most everything will be taken care of for you by the service provider.

Also let's not try to make this a question of morals, this isn't a right or wrong thing.  It's a feature that this early on in the EA development they've decided not to setup and they have not told us their plans so it's entirely possible that once the MMO side of things is working a bit better they go down the path of working on a single player mode, if that is what they want that is. 

There are plenty of online only mmo games and plenty of single player only games.  

Thanks but how much would it cost to do all this ?

2 hours ago, sand man said:

Thanks but how much would it cost to do all this ?

Setting it up yourself with the alpha program?  Free provided your PC can handle it.

Renting servers depends on how big you want to go. 

G-portal has pre made maps you can use and a 10 slot is about 10 dollars.  They even have an all biomes map for one grid.

I use one as a test server for my ship designs etc.  The interface is point and click and it takes maybe  5 minutes to be up and running. 

Not an ad.  People were just talking about renting a server being hard.   It's not at all unless you are wanting to buld it from scratch but that is a choice. 

People having to rent servers to get away from griefers, cheators and Toxic players, come on Devs give us an offline option because your roadmap plans for solos and small groups will not work, just like Ark.

2 minutes ago, sand man said:

People having to rent servers to get away from griefers, cheators and Toxic players, come on Devs give us an offline option because your roadmap plans for solos and small groups will not work, just like Ark.

Or run it locally, the map editor comes with premade maps.

Just now, arzosah said:

Or run it locally, the map editor comes with premade maps.

But thats not a game though,,,,you cant play on it ??? im confused.

Or you could embrace that it’s a multiplayer experience at its core? Play PvE if you dont want your stuff destroyed...

1 minute ago, sand man said:

But thats not a game though,,,,you cant play on it ??? im confused.

No the map editor isn't a game, it's used to created the map grids for the game.  there are several guides on how to get a server running on windows, and the server files are free.

Running a local server is all ARK did for their solo mode, it just did all the work for you.

2 minutes ago, Endo Fett said:

Or you could embrace that it’s a multiplayer experience at its core? Play PvE if you dont want your stuff destroyed...

PVE is just as bad in this game, im too old in the tooth for that.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:05 AM, sand man said:

So many people are put off from buying your game because it MP only, with all of the Griefing, Toxic players and all your stuff being destroyed when your offline, its a major putt off. A single player option would allow players to build bases, ships and have NPCs as your crew, then sail out to explore and fight AI without all of the MP hassel. A game like this , i would pay £60 all day long as would many others ! Devs please give me feedback on this subject because there are many people that would love this option in game. Thankyou.

This is an EA game much like a Beta its not fully released, your best bet is to make a private server that you and your friends can play on in the future. As there is no single player option. I am a single player most of the time and you can do so on official but follow the rules of logging in every 2 days or something to refresh your stuff otherwise this isnt the game for you. 

1 minute ago, Luxfere said:

This is an EA game much like a Beta its not fully released, your best bet is to make a private server that you and your friends can play on in the future. As there is no single player option. I am a single player most of the time and you can do so on official but follow the rules of logging in every 2 days or something to refresh your stuff otherwise this isnt the game for you. 

Makeing a server the hard part, i will look into it more though because renting is overpriced.

6 minutes ago, sand man said:

PVE is just as bad in this game, im too old in the tooth for that.

Its not actually, been in the same location since day 1, haven’t even lost a ship to griefers.

Edited by Endo Fett

2 minutes ago, sand man said:

Makeing a server the hard part, i will look into it more though because renting is overpriced.

Not really renting you gotta take in account for server processor hd space ram network bandwidth etc. 

10 minutes ago, Luxfere said:

Not really renting you gotta take in account for server processor hd space ram network bandwidth etc. 

Depends on how you rent the server, if you're renting the physical server/VM then yes, but if you're going through a company like g-portal than all of that is determined based on how many people you're allowed and how big the server is.

In general renting servers people dont seem to every take into account everything it takes even for vm servers 

On 1/30/2019 at 4:03 AM, Archsenex said:

G-portal has pre made maps you can use and a 10 slot is about 10 dollars.  They even have an all biomes map for one grid.

I use one as a test server for my ship designs etc.  The interface is point and click and it takes maybe  5 minutes to be up and running. 

Not an ad.  People were just talking about renting a server being hard.   It's not at all unless you are wanting to buld it from scratch but that is a choice. 

Ah, didn't know they now have a pre made map. I looked into this a few weeks ago, didn't want to go to all the trouble to make my own map and also then it would kind of ruin the fun of exploring it.

The 10 or 11 dollars a month is not that much if you can set all the settings exactly as you want them and completely control who gets to play on it and have the fun of having your own server.

I might look into to doing this again. Might just try this for one month to see how I like it 🙂

the map editor comes with couple small maps and the entire map.   It has not been updated with the latest lawless change but if you join ASC discord you can get the update, or download the mod dev kit which is updated.    If you have room left on your PC you do not even need a dedicated server, ASC lets you have 1-9 grids open  - the entire point was running it on average hardware even alongside your game.  Your  only issue will be dealing with IP/router/ISP - ASC does not document that part as that is not any different than any  other game.  He just  tells you what the ports he is using in the batch files he generates.   So yes it is not as easy as ARK SP as you need to set it up and fiddle with it, but it does in fact work.   Why devs released mod kit without making setup pushbutton as in ARK is beyond me because you need a private server if you are going to mod.