McScurvy

Rollback Wolf Nerf

Wolves damage and hp were never a problem please roll back those nerfs, spawn size and rate was the problem not their stats. If people were having problems its because they don't know what they are doing, don't cave into the cry babies and change every little thing they find hard....ty.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

it wasnt that they were hard it was the fact of how they were attacking.... one time a Lag hit me and all the sudden the normal lvl 1 wolf just did 5 attack in rapid succession.   Keep in mind that Non tamed animal has unlimited stamina so they can attack forever without getting tired.  

• Like 1

yeah but even in that case you wouldn't nerf the wolf, you would fix the lag issue? same thing will happen with every animal if your lagging. or even at the very least they could of just applied it to wild and not tamed, just to keep the weaklings happy 😛 and its not a problem that's with the wolf, that rapid fire is happening on cannons and mounted weapons too, just spam fire after reload you'll see what I mean.

There is no justification in a roleback on wolves other then as far as I can tell to cause mayhem. Wolves were able to withstand multiple headshots and take most people out with a few hits with a quickness.  As of right now there is some measure of peace when gathering resources.  

headshots from what? your fists? 1 carbine shot to the face killed them, 2 pistol shots to the face killed them, fire arrows reks them, have you fought a yeti at all?

Yetis take more head shots and you can out run them if I can recall correctly.  You can’t out run wolves.  One wolf is bad.  A pack of them is an abysmal.  I seen three wolves take out an alpha horse before the wolf nerf.  They still clip into you and so fist might be the only option that I’m aware of.  In the past, they were taking head shots from pistols and bows.  Essentially, two head shots and a body shot would be enough to take out a wolf with a pistol.  The level of the wolf may add some variability to how tough they are.  

Edited by chuck3rd

well my point here was dmg and hp not spawning huge packs all over the place, lions are exactly the same probably worse because they grip you, snakes knock you out fast if there's more then 1, boars charge you against the terrain etc etc.

If your running into packs of wolves then your not watching where your going and if they spawn on you then that's out of your control anyway, the moment I knew I had to leave freeport I built the parts for a simple tower = 1 floor piece, 3 pillars, 2 ladders and 1 ceiling piece and its worked wonders against everything. any tough spot I've found I pop a tower down and its now no longer a problem, just sprint to the tower and climb the ladder.

If your prepared for exploration ie grapple hook, climbing picks and even gliders then evading them isn't as hard as you think. There's loads of creatures that are a pain and the usual way of dealing with them is kite them to where you have a vantage point or even into pens. Failing that you can always kite them out into the water.

The other consideration is how your spec'd as well if your running on 100hp and wearing cloth vs 124hp (approx. 3hp per level) and hide (almost 4x the defence of cloth) there's a difference....

Indeed.  Although I prefer lions grabbing because they don’t zig zag around and it’s quite easy to hit a non moving target.

Assuming the ambitions of this game does not exceed the technology, there is also a cost of discrimination in so far as a bias favoring the hard core player archetypes or any other  style of play.  I suspect a lot of things may be dumbed downed at some point to widen the spectrum of the player base considering there is a cost associated with the development of the game and among other things which is perhaps the crux of the matter.  

The trick is to design and implement content in the game that can satisfy the most amount of people possible without compromising the vision of this game.

All creature litteraly need rework, hitboxes is so friggin weird…. and they lagg, snakes is maybe the most annoying of em all.

Wolfs in my opinion were fine before.  I do agree their spawn rates and aggro range was ridiculous, but they are not hard to kill.  I was attacked by them on the regular.  Use the terrain and their behaviors to defeat them.  A single shot to the head kills them so I really did not have a huge issue with them unless it was multiple wolfs pinning me against something with no escape. 

Oh and if a wolf was in view range.  It was sniped.  Keep them away from your farming areas by regularly killing them. 

Edited by DocHolliday

I think the way the wolves are now is so much better. 

There were several problems with the wolves, and I'm sure the current fix was the easiest way to fix them. It is easy to say they can be dealt with if only, but when you have a base near an area with too many of them, you would think differently. The number of spawns varies widely from place to place from what I've seen and read here.

Also it isn't just that an area can have a few too many wolves, there is also always the chance that when one spawns it will be an alpha wolf, and you aren't going to kill it with just a head shot or too. If your luck is bad, you will lose your tame that took you hours to get. I'm sure more than one player has rage quit after an alpha wolf killed their tames.

They also had way too large of an aggro range, which caused them to run from creature to creature at a high speed killing everything in their wake. This made them hard to see, since they could enter an area very quickly. 

Before the nerf, my small island had almost no wild life other than wolves. If i did see something, it was usually a dead creature. Now there are pigs, monkeys, chickens,, giraffes, horses, and an occasional bear.

I don't see how anyone would think, one dominant species is better than a wide variety of species.

Edited by wildbill

The alpha wolves are alphas, that's the same with most alpha predators, 1 head shot will never kill them, that's a job for the fire arrows or swivel cannon. 

16 hours ago, wildbill said:

I don't see how anyone would think, one dominant species is better than a wide variety of species.

Again with the assumption that I want them to roll back the spawn changes, but I don't, I want them to roll back the hp and dmg that's all.

I'm sure more than one player has rage quit after an alpha wolf killed their tames.

No animals spawn in sealed buildings. Those animal pens that alphas get into are ones with no roofs and sometimes even only 3/4 walls... Hell if your concerned with safety build a pen that has no doors at all and just demolish some of the walls when people are online, replace them when your done with your tames. Walls aren't expensive.

What about those of us who had tamed wolves of high levels that overnight became feeble? Without any option to respect points I might add.

It is easy to say they can be dealt with if only, but when you have a base near an area with too many of them, you would think differently.

I've been there done that, again fire arrows made short work of larger numbers, just get to high ground.

Use K to set a safety camera (Hit K then wheel down on the mouse to set it at a far distance so you can check around corners and over ridges).

Turn up gamma settings in the night to help with visibility.

I'm sure the current fix was the easiest way to fix them

They fixed spawn problems and added the damage and hp nerf on top of it. This is what I feel is excessive.

What I find funny is how if you simply run into the water (plenty of that about) you can use a bow to kill em off easily as they paddle towards you. they wont come out too far so its basically free kills and that was pre-nerf.

13 minutes ago, McScurvy said:

No animals spawn in sealed buildings. Those animal pens that alphas get into are ones with no roofs and sometimes even only 3/4 walls...

That's where you are wrong. They do sometimes spawn inside sealed buildings. Take these images as examples.

One building I found this wolf sticking its head out, it's a wild wolf. Fully sealed building.

Un5EisW.jpg

Then a completely different base, yet also fully sealed building:

szFZDaE.png

A complete view of the structure:

bcoQy8M.png

So yes they do sometimes spawn inside fully sealed buildings, there is no denying that.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:13 PM, McScurvy said:

headshots from what? your fists? 1 carbine shot to the face killed them, 2 pistol shots to the face killed them, fire arrows reks them, have you fought a yeti at all?

The wolves were a monumental problem, im sick of people using their mid-end game experiences to make an excuse for updates or rollbacks. How do you expect anyone even get to that point when wolves are constantly wrecking their shit, couldn't kill them normal stone arrows did fuck all, couldn't outrun them. In the early game, coming across the wolves was almost certain death.

47 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

So yes they do sometimes spawn inside fully sealed buildings, there is no denying that.

None of those images show the full extent of those buildings and in any case if they were sealed, then that's probably an earlier problem with spawning mechanics that has since been fixed because it has never happened to me or anyone I know since dec 26th and what if it was tigers spawning in your building? or crocs? would you ask to nerf them too in regards to dmg and hp? no you would sort the frickin spawns out.

also where's the problem in those images in regards to killing that wolf? its stuck and unable to chase you. You are in fact demonstrating a very easy kill.

This is about damage and health. 

41 minutes ago, Faicorf said:

wolves are constantly wrecking their shit

What are they wrecking? your stone structures? wolves bite through bricks do they? 

We used to use a thatch 3x3 hut and everytime there was wolves, we would have 1 climb on the roof and another to go pull them into range.

If its in your building its even easier to kill. If its outside your building and your on the inside, its easy to kill. If your out in the wild and one finds you then you put your shit away (pick, axe, lollypop whatever) and you find the closest downward slope and jump when it bites, this knocks you forward creating distance use it to get to the water or to a tall rock, crevice whatever you can find to block the wolf. Oh also luring them near to larger passive animals helps like elephants and bears. 

I've stated you can check around corners, over ridges, increase visibility and overall take a more prepared approach. Don't run around blindly strolling into packs of wolves and then complain they are too strong. That's like sailing to a powerstone island at lv12 and saying its too hard.

SPAWN ISSUES ARE SEPERATE TO STATS. IF 100 SNAKES SPAWN ON YOU THEN THEIR DAMAGE IS NO LONGER RELEVANT EVEN WITH 1 DAMAGE YOU WILL BE KILLED FAST.

50 minutes ago, Faicorf said:

im sick of people using their mid-end game experiences to make an excuse for updates or rollbacks. How do you expect anyone even get to that point when wolves are constantly wrecking their shit

well others have managed fine so what does that tell you?

I swear people come to forum to read and write but seem to skip a lot of the reading. points are being thrown here that are 90% to do with spawns, when all I'm asking them to rollback the stats so that every wolf I tame doesn't get ko'd by pidgeons and I don't have to waste all my points into hp in order to counter the nerf.

I mean sure I can just go tame twice the amount of wolves as I had before, but I cant even find a decent level one now and I don't know if its because they lowered the spawning of higher lvl's or if its because they level passively in the wild and are no longer surviving long enough to achieve higher levels.

Just now, McScurvy said:

None of those images show the full extent of those buildings and in any case if they were sealed, then that's probably an earlier problem with spawning mechanics that has since been fixed because it has never happened to me or anyone I know since dec 26th and what if it was tigers spawning in your building? or crocs? would you ask to nerf them too in regards to dmg and hp? no you would sort the frickin spawns out.

also where's the problem in those images in regards to killing that wolf? its stuck and unable to chase you. You are in fact demonstrating a very easy kill.

Ok lets take your points bit by bit and address them...

Just now, McScurvy said:

None of those images show the full extent of those buildings and in any case if they were sealed, then that's probably an earlier problem with spawning mechanics that has since been fixed because it has never happened to me or anyone I know since dec 26th

I know what I see in regards to the buildings in the images, they are fully 100% sealed buildings. If you think I am lieing about it to form a claim of animals spawning inside sealed buildings then there is little point in even attempting to have a conversation with you.

Also the first image I showed you was taken on 11th January 2019 and the second and third image were taken on 10th January 2019 so long time after 26th December. Just because something hasn't happened to you or your friends doesn't mean it doesn't exist. No-one has sunken my ships in PvE, do I claim it doesn't exist? No.

Just now, McScurvy said:

and what if it was tigers spawning in your building? or crocs? would you ask to nerf them too in regards to dmg and hp? no you would sort the frickin spawns out.

I never asked for a nerf of wolves or any other animal. Please show me where in this topic I asked for a nerf? I was responding to your claim that animals do not spawn in sealed buildings.

Just now, McScurvy said:

Why are you changing the subject? Who here was talking about there being a problem killing that wolf? Were we not discussing the fact that animals do sometimes spawn in sealed buildings? Why do you feel the need to change the subject to something that no-one has made any claims of. Also, you clearly don't realise that because the wolf is inside the building, any arrows or other weapons fired at its head from the outside will do nothing but waste ammo. So no, I am not demonstrating a very easy kill, I am demonstrating the fact that animals do sometimes spawn in sealed buildings.

I think this covers all of your points.

5 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Ok lets take your points bit by bit and address them...

clearly didn't do so and didn't read the full sentence before becoming tilted. re read

17 minutes ago, McScurvy said:

and in any case if they were sealed, then that's probably an earlier problem with spawning mechanics that has since been fixed because it has never happened to me or anyone I know since dec 26th

in this sentence do you see "IF THEY WERE SEALED" and "PROBABLY AN EARLIER PROBLEM THAT HAS SINCE BEEN FIXED"

9 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Why are you changing the subject?

if you read the opening post it says damage and health was not a problem it was the spawns. you are further pushing this off topic by saying yeah they do spawn in buildings instead of posting anything relative to damage and health and further proving my point that it was spawn issues not stats. 

11 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Also, you clearly don't realise that because the wolf is inside the building, any arrows or other weapons fired at its head from the outside will do nothing but waste ammo

This is were you punch it to death or use melle weapons, i've done it and it works both from inside (for me it was a case of not finishing the 4th wall) and outside.

17 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Please show me where in this topic I asked for a nerf?

did I say you asked for one? no re-read I said WOULD you ask for a nerf to stats. Meant as a rhetorical question.

Don't take anything here as personal. I don't know you, you don't know me, I cant be sure if you were lying but even in my first response I addressed that in the case that your not lying, then it may be that its been taken care of as to why I or anyone I know hasn't seen it. You just got mad fast and didn't realise what I said.

All that has happened in this topic has been a few people actually addressing the point and others just confirming spawn related issues and alphas for some unknown reason (they fall into a different category all together).

The main focal point of this topic was to say that wolves were never hard to kill and that the stat nerf on top of the spawn fix (which was needed) has resulted in an overkill and to plead for stat rollback NOT the spawns.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, McScurvy said:

What are they wrecking? your stone structures? wolves bite through bricks do they? 

It is a figure of speech, "wrecking their shit" is meaning that the player just gets outright destroyed. It is certain death to aggro a wolf, because even while sprinting away, the wolves constantly bite your ass. I can see how you misunderstood my meaning and that is my fault.