Sign in to follow this  
The_Raging_Lemur

Game Bugging & Lagging Out, Resulting in a Sunk Ship That Shouldn't Have Sunk (Could Be Incorrect)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/367184691

So I was watching a streamer I follow when an incident occured. I don't play the game myself so sorry in advance if I say something that sounds idiotic. I just wish to raise attention to this

Some quick background information quickly. The weather had just transitioned from overcast/sunny to raining as you see throughout the highlight. One other player was present on the ship with him. The ship was level 33, with 18 npc crew members and 3k gold, among other things. The server seemed to be lagging at the time of streaming

While sailing, a water tornado appeared ahead of the ship in front. The streamer and his friend weren't sure if they would have turned out of the way in time so they decided to drop the anchor, stopping the ship in its tracks. The next part is what lead to the downfall of the ship. Despite the ship being in healthy shape, and nowhere near the water tornados, the ship hull started taking huge amounts of damage before being destroyed. The streamer and his friend started doing damage control to save the ship, as they had spare planks in the event of an emergency. While the friend was bailing water to slow down the intake of water, the streamer started to place  down the replacement planks. However, as he tried to do so, the game decided to place the planks in the place of the gun ports on the deck directly above, thus not actually sealing the leaks. The streamer did not realise this until he went to check the hull a second time, which by then it was too late

There were two primary issues that arose, which inevitably lead to the sinking of the ship. The first issue I'll point out is the planks getting placed on the wrong deck of the ship. I don't know if it was due to the server lagging (which I highly suspect is the case), it's a common issue which one needs to be wary of or if it was just a stroke of bad luck.

The second issue, which is the more important part, that kickstarted this downwards spiral is the hull taking damage out of nowhere. The streamer believes the damage was caused by the ship sailing over high ground that one usually can't sail over, but due to the high tide one could, before the tide lowered a bit, lowering the ship into the ground, making it spaz out for a bit and take huge amounts of damage it shouldn't really have. Apologies if this is wrong

What course of action should he take? Contact support? Build a new ship? The streamer himself feels like support wouldn't help out much in this situation

I'm not sure if dropping anchor and stopping dead at full sail is a safe thing to do; it doesn't feel it would be. I've honestly never tried, because intuitively it doesn't seem safe (A real large ship suddenly dropping anchor at full speed ahead will at best snap the anchor chain, at worst, tear the chain through several decks and breach the hull below the waterline), maybe someone else can say if that's a bug or intended and has tried stopping a big ship at full tilt like that.

It may also have been a side effect of the massive swell;  it is possible for high waves to allow a ship to pass over a shallow sand bar, only to be dropped back onto it in the following trough. This bouncing process can cause damage, though usually not too severe if you move back off it in the next wave unless there was rocks below, but dropping anchor may have forced the ship down onto it. The damage numbers we saw were inconsistent with a cyclone being the cause; they usually only do a couple hundred per tick tops.

As for building there can be a degree of desync between item placement server and client side. Usually this can be rectified by picking up and replacing; but obviously that isn't a good option if the misplaced item demolished an existing item you can't easily replace; doubly so if that's a ship hull section. The best you can do is get close and aim clearly when placing stuff to make sure it hits the snap point you think it's hitting and there is no ambiguity. The flicker when placing in the video meant he was wobbling and the server was unsure which snap point he was targeting

Building a new ship is his only recourse; hundreds if not thousands of people have lost their ships due to exploiters, hackers, bugs and other absolute bullshit they could not control or defend against (When they introduced Ships of the Damned, at least half the ships in the game got sunk overnight while people were offline!) and the GM's refuse to get involved or reimburse people their losses. By comparison this ship loss isn't even a clear-cut case of a bug

Edited by RyuujinZERO

I watched the video.  He hit a shallow sandbar, which caused catastrophic damage to his hull.  Unfortunately, this is a hazard of boats; many RL boats in the Caribbean sunk this way.  He should take this as a lesson learned when he makes the next ship.

He had the right idea about having spare hull pieces, but unfortunately, repairing when your ship is already beached is hard to recover.

Edited by Vhalkyrie