Sign in to follow this  
zomgwee

Why are gold coins so heavy?

Yes, I know, "gold is heavy". Like many people in the modern age, I don't have any real world experience with carrying around gold coins. But the extreme weight of gold coins (one thousand coins weigh 400 pounds??) made me start to wonder... Were gold coins really this heavy? So I looked them up.

The British sovereign weighed around 8 grams. One thousand sovereigns would weigh approximately 17.6 pounds.

The Spanish doubloon weighed around 7 grams. One thousand doubloons would weigh about 15.4 pounds.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that the gold coins we're digging up and trading in game are actually the size of dinner plates. We're dealing in giant gold, people. This is why the colossi are so angry, all of the time. We took their gold.

3 minutes ago, IsilithTehroth said:

These coins are gold covered lead, not the same thing as what you are describing.

Sigh ... go learn some physics boy!

1 minute ago, Jozzie McTowel said:

Sigh ... go learn some physics boy!

This is a fantasy pirate video game. I suggest you learn the affects of physics via a noose.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, IsilithTehroth said:

This is a fantasy pirate video game. I suggest you learn the affects of physics via a noose.

I suggest you go talk with the guy who bakes bread in penguins 😄

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, TheFailingPierat said:

its not the gold thats heavy its the diffrent dimension inside the coins that holds little gnomes that steal your boots when your offline

So that's why my ship has 1/2 a tank of gas need to stop paying my crew.

Some people just can't handle the math involved in Unit Conversion Calculation.  I play another EA game, space related... You would be astounded at the amount of stuff I can craft there with 1 g. of metal. 😄☕👍

Edited by Hambo

25 minutes ago, Jozzie McTowel said:

I suggest you go talk with the guy who bakes bread in penguins 😄

I literally just read that post, and this made me laugh so freaking hard. You got me man. You got me.

• Thanks 1

the purpose of a currency is so its easy to carry around and pay for a cart of stones with a few coins and not pay for a cart of stones with another cart of stones that are yellow.

4 minutes ago, Linea said:

the purpose of a currency is so its easy to carry around and pay for a cart of stones with a few coins and not pay for a cart of stones with another cart of stones that are yellow.

You all want easy mode. The gold should costs resources to get from chests and should require Galleons/bear carts where 10 coins reaches maximum weight,

1 hour ago, IsilithTehroth said:

These coins are gold covered lead, not the same thing as what you are describing.

Gold covered lead would actually be LIGHTER. By about 50%.

2 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Gold covered lead would actually be LIGHTER. By about 50%.

Do you guys even read the lore they said the it isn't pure gold on the loading screen that it is another material. Geeze complain about game mechanics, having to play the game to enjoy it and now the game's lore.

The gold does weigh to much. A group of mine went on an exploration for Treasure Hunting and 14,803 gold weighs 5912.2 kg. My concern for this is we are half way across the map from our home island and this was only a couple of treasure maps (16+ Quality). It took almost 4 hours to sail in a straight line to get to the first one and in 1 hour of hunting treasure our 20,000 Brig is almost overflowing and slow. 

Why is these coins so heavy when it takes so much for the cost of crew, cosmetics and even way more in the coming patches with Player Owned shops? This needs to be adjusted. 

Gold coins weigh a lot to impart the literal weight of money. It is a method by which to prevent you carrying tons and tons of coin around. From a realistic standpoint you aren't likely the be hauling 1k gold coins around. Since they chose a weight system for personal inventory instead of a limited slot system, it allows control on how much you can carry. Thus forcing you to think about what you carry to treasure hunt with.

18 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Gold coins weigh a lot to impart the literal weight of money. It is a method by which to prevent you carrying tons and tons of coin around. From a realistic standpoint you aren't likely the be hauling 1k gold coins around. Since they chose a weight system for personal inventory instead of a limited slot system, it allows control on how much you can carry. Thus forcing you to think about what you carry to treasure hunt with.

This make no sense, since you can carry lots off itens, stones/wood for example. Why you can carry alone the huge sails for the bigger ships then? Carrying a lot off floors/walls/roofs/etc... But no, for coins you need a bulldozer because they are the size off a house.