Sign in to follow this  
nosscar

Let's have some respect. And family friendly

I have been on a few official servers where profanity was auto censored, but this forum is as bad as steam.

Why do posters feel the need to f every word or post.

Please tighten up and have a swear filter.

I sometime have my grandchildren here, I cannot dare read these forums due to so much  foul Language.

I understand they have issues, but please keep the kiddies in check.

I am 62 , and in my day, everyone had respect, the devs are doing there job, if you worked in a shop or cafe, would you serve someone swearing at you, no.

Stop behaving like spoilt brats.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

The difference is that cursing is as normal of a function in society as saying the word "and". It's common and most people aren't bothered by it.
I will agree there should be a choice for people who are easily bothered/offended by such language to turn on a filter, however, i doubt it will be soon, or if even ever.

But get ready for "freedom of speech" retaliation to your opinion.

Yea, I am expecting the usual troll childish behavior, where has the standards of decency dropped to.

2 minutes ago, FruitBatCat said:

I agree with you tbh Nosscar but if you read this official statement from Jat, released just before launch, you'll see that the devs themselves set the tone:-

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dkJefViWIn3_QckCL_xS11dmBxuzUszr-yCRukat8CI/edit

Yea,, and the devs should be setting examples.

I think with the cursing, they lose credibility with their elders, but somehow feel they've gained credibility with their peers.  In fact, losing credibility with their elders is likely just added gravy.

There was recently a thread titled "where the hell is something or other."  I remember thinking the "hell" was completely unnecessary and superfluous.  Oddly enough, you open it up and the post itself is perfectly normal.  So, why the grandstanding and posturing in the title?  Beats me.

I would say, though, that I wouldn't expect a family friendly atmosphere in a game that features public executions (hanging, guillotine) and caging of other players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nosscar said:

I have been on a few official servers where profanity was auto censored, but this forum is as bad as steam.

I sometime have my grandchildren here, I cannot dare read these forums due to so much  foul Language.

I am 62 , and in my day, everyone had respect, the devs are doing there job, if you worked in a shop or cafe, would you serve someone swearing at you, no.

If you think using cuss words is disrespectful you need to re-evaluate your thought process.  A cuss word is just a word.... words are used to convey emotions, and thoughts.  The playerbase has every right to be frustrated and use their words... regardless of what you think. 

Pro-Tip don't have your grandchildren on the internet... they bound to see something you don't want them to see.

With all due respect.. hiding children from bad language is a silly mistake. 

They will find it on the internet wherever they go, you can’t censor the internet unfortunately. You just need to teach them what’s good and bad. 

Hiding them from something that physically can’t hurt them will hurt them in the future. 

2 hours ago, nosscar said:

Even though some people use curse words a little too much I agree. The only lesson that wildcard has learned is their forums.

the reason there is more freedom is is because the ark forums were total nazi Germany, and the mods censored anybody  that disagreed with them, let alone say anything bad about ark.

so even though I get where you are coming from, this is a lot better than how the ark forums were. It was truly pathetic to be honest 

That's a great way to end a comment in which you're demanding everyone else change their behavior to conform to what YOU think is "right". Pretty fucking funny if you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe the player base would show some respect, when the player base feels like the devs even slightly respect them.

Just like the devs couldn't care less about us, we couldn't care less where your grandchildren read some swear words, lets be honest, they've probably already seen them before online or heard their parents say them.

For the record, you have literally no right to ask us to calm it down, when YOU are the one who brought your grandchildren onto forums for a MMO Pirate game that has PUBLIC EXECUTIONS. Maybe you should rethink your thought process before asking others to do it. You brought them to this circus,, now you need to either sit them down or walk them out, it is not our job to cater to your grand kids, its your job to keep therm away from such things.

Would you take your grandchildren to a bar on a Friday night and complain about all the drunks shouting and swearing? because that is what you have essentially done. Honestly, it is laughable.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP's sensibility... It's the first such post I've seen here and it may lead to some consideration for other readers, but probably not 😄.  I don't mind the swearing myself since some people just don't know any other way to emphasize their point.

What gets my dander up (just dander... no hair up there anymore :classic_cool:) Is the whole degradation of the game, the Devs and other players using this language.  That just leads to hostility.

• Like 1

On behalf of over-60's everywhere let me apologise for the "grandad" attitude aimed at everyone in general.  Some people can't wait to turn into their grandparents, and in the process forget they were ever young themselves.  😄  I can see his point, but honestly, calling people "spoilt brats" is hilarious.  I can just picture the frown and the wagging finger!

• Like 1

I agree with you 100%. I'm 46 with 3 young children that love to watch me play and I cant alt tab to come here because of the lack of a filter.   At least in game I can turn off the chat box to filter people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dorf said:

I agree with you 100%. I'm 46 with 3 young children that love to watch me play and I cant alt tab to come here because of the lack of a filter.   At least in game I can turn off the chat box to filter people.

Again, It is not our job to change our behavior because your kids might be watching, it is your job to take them away from such behavior.

2 minutes ago, Faicorf said:

Again, It is not our job to change our behavior because your kids might be watching, it is your job to take them away from such behavior.

So you lack any respect for others... gotcha.  I personally dont swear in public or public forums because I'm mature and respect others spaces.

But hey that's how I was taught.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dorf said:

So you lack any respect for others... gotcha.  I personally dont swear in public or public forums because I'm mature and respect others spaces.

Because using Homer Simpson for your avatar just screams maturity.

No I have respect for many people, I just don't respect parents that bring their kids onto the internet, and expect everyone else to cater to their poor parenting choice of bringing theior kids along to an unfiltered forum. If you do not want your kids to see such words, do your job as a god damn parent and keep them away from it.

2 minutes ago, Dorf said:

Sorry dude but its your job as a parent to keep your kids away from content you don't want them to experience. Its not our job to censor ourselves because you're in denial about the world your kids live in. Don't like your kids seeing what gets said on the forums? Don't visit the forums when your kids are watching. Its that simple.

1 minute ago, Dorf said:

No see it doesn't work that way. You're not respecting others when you tell them to change their behavior to satisfy your belief in what is mature and respectful. 

4 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Sorry dude but its your job as a parent to keep your kids away from content you don't want them to experience. Its not our job to censor ourselves because you're in denial about the world your kids live in. Don't like your kids seeing what gets said on the forums? Don't visit the forums when your kids are watching. Its that simple.

No see it doesn't work that way. You're not respecting others when you tell them to change their behavior to satisfy your belief in what is mature and respectful. 

If you read my post you'd see all I want is a filter to use.  I'm not asking anyone to stop swearing and being immature or vulgar.  Just like I turn off the chat in game... I dont asking anyone to change thier behavior.  I just want the tool that's on my forums.

6 minutes ago, Faicorf said:

No I have respect for many people, I just don't respect parents that bring their kids onto the internet, and expect everyone else to cater to their poor parenting choice of bringing theior kids along to an unfiltered forum. If you do not want your kids to see such words, do your job as a god damn parent and keep them away from it.

Trust me my kids NEVER read a single swear word around me... or even hear one.  Judge all you want but you totally misread and misunderstood my entire comment.

If you read my post you'd see all I want is a filter to use.  I'm not asking anyone to stop swearing and being immature or vulgar.  Just like I turn off the chat in game... I dont asking anyone to change thier behavior.  I just want the tool that's on my forums.

• Like 1

No one is asking anyone to change, they are asking for a system to change a tiny and easily added option for those people who don't want to see it, so that they have the ability to remove it from their screens.

While I agree it *is* a parents job to dictate what their children are and are not allowed to see (when at home, because lets be real once they leave the house kids at school say worse stuff than you see on these forums) It's also their right to enable a feature to disable seeing things they don't deem appropriate. 

Edited by Asanna

2 minutes ago, Dorf said:

If you read my post you'd see all I want is a filter to use.  I'm not asking anyone to stop swearing and being immature or vulgar.  Just like I turn off the chat in game... I dont asking anyone to change their behavior.  I just want the tool that's on my forums.

Trust me my kids NEVER read a single swear word around me... or even hear one.  Judge all you want but you totally misread and misunderstood my entire comment.

If you read my post you'd see all I want is a filter to use.  I'm not asking anyone to stop swearing and being immature or vulgar.  Just like I turn off the chat in game... I dont asking anyone to change their behavior.  I just want the tool that's on my forums.

Then until said filter is available, shut up complaining. This is a community for a PIRATE GAME, don't like that you can't filter it? then leave until you can..

4 minutes ago, Dorf said:

Ok and that's fair. Its not an issue to me but that's a reasonable request if its really that big of an issue for you. I just took issue with the idea that its disrespectful to curse in public or on a public forum because its really not, so long as you're not directing said curses at someone. 

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

Ok and that's fair. Its not an issue to me but that's a reasonable request if its really that big of an issue for you. I just took issue with the idea that its disrespectful to curse in public or on a public forum because its really not, so long as you're not directing said curses at someone. 

but isn't it the disrespectful nature of the word that categorizes it as a "curse" word?  Otherwise how do you differentiate a curse word from one that isn't a curse word, you farming potato.

Another possibility is to add users making posts that offend you to your "ignored" list...  You may not get any useful posts after that but what you DO see won't offend you.