Sign in to follow this  
Scorpionshawn

SMALL COMPANY SERVERS TO SAVE GAME? YES OR NO?

One of the biggest problem with this game from day 1 was the UNLIMITED LAND CLAIM SYSTEM.

Fact: a company can hold up to 500 people and some do.

Where do all these people base?

Fact: anyone can claim unlimited amount of land.

How many big companies have claims all over the world pushing out any new comers.

Fact: when everyone started this game your mind set was "Build a ship and claim some land"

None of this is happening for a lot of people and the new players may not last one week in this game.

Fact: No server can handle 100 people in one spot

and yet the dev team set the game in motion for 500 player companies to have grand battles.

Fact: Smaller company official servers are badly needed with a cap of 3 land claims per person

Not only would this save a lot of players from leaving but it would make the game friendly and inviting just like your creepy neighbor! :classic_huh:

Edited by Scorpionshawn
  • Like 3

My only suggestion is that land claims should be Tier based:

Tier I == 1 land claim.  Certain tasks must be completed to maintain the claim, like building a simple homestead (hut, farm, water, etc)

Tier 2 == 2 land claims:  Tier 1 requirements plus expansion, like Animal Breeding/Taming and automatic irrigation

Tier 3 == 3 claims:  Tier 1 + Tier 2 requirements, plus additional Tier 3 requirements (???)

etc.

As soon as a claim reverts (in PvE) or is overrun (PvP) the claim flag(s) reappear in player inventory to reuse.

These "Claim Maintenance"  requirements are loosely based on United States Homestead laws... You claim the land but if you don't do anything with it after a certain timeframe "ownership" reverts to the Government.  This would eliminate placing flags "Just to have the most land" as the flags auto-revert if nothing is done on the plot.

If someone wants to be a land-based producer they follow this skill tree... Call it "Land Surveying" for the discussion.  If someone isn't interested in land then they have extra points to put into, say "Seamanship" skill trees.

Edited by Hambo
  • Like 2

Your last fact is opinion.  Kinda lowers the impact imo.

I do agree that they need to rethink something because servers just can't handle what the devs want to do though.  Game needs some hardcore redesign decisions.

MMOs have large scale clashes on special maps with their own servers for this very reason.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kyorin said:

MMOs have large scale clashes on special maps with their own servers for this very reason.  

This is not really an MMO. Just a pirate reskin of Ark with grid map system instead of 1 map repeated.

34 minutes ago, Lynx said:

This is not really an MMO. Just a pirate reskin of Ark with grid map system instead of 1 map repeated.

I'm not disagreeing, they're the ones calling it an MMO and focusing on many players in a persistent shared world though.  

IMO they really didn't think through just how much work an actual MMO is.

Those server fees are going to make them start feeling the bite a few months down the road with the bad word of mouth growing and less incoming players.

Edited by Kyorin
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Kyorin said:

I'm not disagreeing, they're the ones calling it an MMO and focusing on many players in a persistent shared world though.  

IMO they really didn't think through just how much work an actual MMO is.

Those server fees are going to make them start feeling the bite a few months down the road with the bad word of mouth growing and less incoming players.

so agree...been looking for land for 2 weeks now and planted many flags to no avail...they really need to look into this matter soon and not say that it would probably be looked into much later as they have more important things to do! As you say, the rate at which bad reviews are coming in, will put many many potential new players off and the costs of the servers will go up dramatically compared to revenue earned as well as dev costs! 

I think that 3 land claims per person as mentioned above is the way to go~

Said this already, I would love small group servers. But this is more of a question for Nitrado to step up their game. You can’t have the same 15x15 map for small groups only, you will need more islands. Placing more islands and distance in between these islands is what makes the load for hosting servers (if we believe them). I’m not sure if Nitrado will make these servers anytime soon (they’re contract binded). Or WC needs to make a new deal but I don’t think that’s on top of the list right now. 

Edited by Percieval

I would love a server that limited the company size to say 25. 

Even so what this game needs on any server is higher limit on players per square and servers able to handle it. There's so much this game wants to do that can't be done because you can't have a large part of the player base gather in one location. One of these things is fountains of youth. You need at least 500 player capacity on those servers in particular to successfully implement the feature, and should really have that limit or higher on any map, to allow for large scale trade, naval battles, events, etc. And the servers must be able to handle all 500 with virtually no lag whatsoever.

Otherwise, small companies will be the only sensible way to play the game, what is the point of having a large company is nobody outside your compay can fit inside your grid???

30 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Said this already, I would love small group servers. But this is more of a question for Nitrado to step up their game. You can’t have the same 15x15 map for small groups only, you will need more islands. Placing more islands and distance in between these islands is what makes the load for hosting servers (if we believe them). I’m not sure if Nitrado will make these servers anytime soon (they’re contract binded). Or WC needs to make a new deal but I don’t think that’s on top of the list right now. 

Why do people keep telling players to go rent a server or join someone else server. PEOPLE WANT OT PLAY OFFICIAL FIX THE GOD DAMN GAME! Blaming the player is a bad move.

5 minutes ago, Nuka said:

Please ban SCORPIONSHAWN to save the game

So much personal hated! 

9 minutes ago, Scorpionshawn said:

Why do people keep telling players to go rent a server or join someone else server. PEOPLE WANT OT PLAY OFFICIAL FIX THE GOD DAMN GAME! Blaming the player is a bad move.

So much personal hated! 

Same reason why people say FIX THE GOD DAMN GAME!

The game doesn't need fixing it needs balancing. Nothing is broken, except for things like connection issues or thing that don't literally work and loss of ships/pathfinders, but everything else, which majority of people complain about, is a balancing issue. There's plenty of time for balancing.

• Sad 1

Best solution would be to

- make freeports and lawless PVE

- max 3 seperated foundations per player per island

Finished. Small tribes can survive, build galleons and sail out into PVP for thrill and danger

• Like 1