Olthoi

They Increase And Change SOTD Again?

Last night, got ganged after spawning into a new zone,  Im just in a sloop.  Managed to turn around and go back through the zone, followed me.  Sank.  Now today, just sailing over one island with a zone in between, 20 minutes sail, SOTD all over the place.  And not only that, it seemed like each time I adjusted my direction to get the wind a new one would spawn ahead.  Not to mention they are closer to land again. They "tune" them?  Because this stinks.

• Like 6

We've seen this too. Not only are they over spawning and clustering, they're back to being hyper aggressive and engaging from a much longer range. My unarmed sloop was chased and attacked this morning by a SoD I didn't even go near. It destroyed my bed, killed me, and I imagine my sloop is probably gone by now. 

Edited by Warspectre

i have noticed that too, it's ... really dangerous to sail actually ... and i have the impression that the dev dont read us ! 

It should be dangerous.....sometimes.  But for somebody like me, who is enjoying the crafting/exploring part of the game, it just makes me want to stay on land.  Which I don't want to do.  Currently I'm trapped one island/zone away and I haven't had the wind all day.  No way I'm going to attempt to sail back without the wind.

• Like 1

I thought the demon ship population seemed really thick today. Went from B10, to B9 to A9 and back to b10 and probably came acroos 20+. I didnt notice any agro range change though, we were in a brig and some got extremely close without agroing

Yeah, they are definitely worse, I've run into plenty of SOTD before but now there a many more and they seem faster. For the first time I had a ship sunk by them today, couldn't outrun it, or maneuver around it - a sloop with speed sails is no match for them anymore, doesn't stand a chance when they are so numerous and avoiding one just aggro's another and you can't outrun them anyway. Seems pointless even going out there if even some amount of skill makes no difference.

Edited by FruitBatCat

1 minute ago, FruitBatCat said:

Yeah, they are definitely worse, I've run into plenty of SOTD before but now there a many more and they seem faster. For the first time I had a ship sunk by them today, couldn't outrun it, or maneuver it - a sloop with speed sails is no match for them anymore, doesn't stand a chance when they are so numerous and avoiding one just aggro's another and you can't outrun them anyway. Seems pointless even going out there if even some amount of skill makes no difference.

Exactly my experience.  Started last night.

Just now, FruitBatCat said:

Sloops don't have cannons.

Sloops can have cannons, just elevate your deck with some wood and put them on top?

1 minute ago, Olivar said:

maybe shoot em? Takes roughly 20 cannon balls only to get one down.

Thats one aspect of game play, some people are in sloops with no guns.  Outrunning then is as viable as an option as fighting.  But that seems to be not possible anymore.

Just now, Olivar said:

Sloops can have cannons, just elevate your deck with some wood and put them on top?

I dont want to fight, if I wanted to fight id bring out a boat that can fight.  It should be (and was) perfectly viable to make a ship fast and designed to evade and outrun.  That seems to have been changed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olthoi said:

Thats one aspect of game play, some people are in sloops with no guns.  Outrunning then is as viable as an option as fighting.  But that seems to be not possible anymore.

You need to almost physically slap them from a sloop before they aggro you though, unless this got changed again?
Haven't used my sloop for a while now since I got my Brigantine, and they're more a nuisance to me at this point.
Although even schooners can hold their own pretty well.

But I agree, sloop is probably best to just ignore them and go full speed.
If the aggro mechanics didn't change they should be ignoring you.

Just now, Olthoi said:

Yeah, my tactic up until today has been to maneuver around them and then outrun them given the opportunity. I had one aggro one from behind me and altho the wind was in my favor, all was looking good, it still sunk me. They seem faster.

Most people leaving freeports are in sloops. They don't have the skills yet to even make fur gear let alone build a cannon.

27 minutes ago, Olivar said:

You need to almost physically slap them from a sloop before they aggro you though, unless this got changed again?
Haven't used my sloop for a while now since I got my Brigantine, and they're more a nuisance to me at this point.
Although even schooners can hold their own pretty well.

But I agree, sloop is probably best to just ignore them and go full speed.
If the aggro mechanics didn't change they should be ignoring you.

The aggro mechanics have definitely changed, because I used to be able to sail my sloop within their cannon range and they wouldn't take a shot, much closer and they might take a few half hearted shots that may or may not hit and then leave off, but not this morning. I wasn't even in cannon range when it aggrod and chased me down. Believe me, this is new and unwanted behavior. 

They also seem faster because my twin speed sail sloop couldn't get away, which was never an issue before. 

Why are people using sloops? Upgrade to schooner and see your troubles wash away. More speed, more Def ( I think), more dmg, i'm saying this as a solo player. It took time to make, but it's so worth, when you kill your first one, you start to realise their capabilities and they're not much to fear. Killed my first lvl 10 and anything below that seem trivial and gains no attention, either zip past or blow them away.

But yeah, there a lot of them, my concern is, where the merchant ships at? I feel it would make sense seeing more merchants than SotD.

Edited by Herasea

18 hours ago, Herasea said:

Why are people using sloops? Upgrade to schooner and see your troubles wash away. More speed, more Def ( I think), more dmg, i'm saying this as a solo player. It took time to make, but it's so worth, when you kill your first one, you start to realise their capabilities and they're not much to fear. Killed my first lvl 10 and anything below that seem trivial and gains no attention, either zip past or blow them away.

But yeah, there a lot of them, my concern is, where the merchant ships at? I feel it would make sense seeing more merchants than SotD.

Because I didn't want to take the company Schooner for what should have been a simple resource run between 2 islands in the same grid that aren't even all that far apart. But that's just me. Thankfully I hadn't picked up the resources yet, but even if I had I should have been able to outrun a SoD easily with the wind at my back and 2 speed sails, and the SoD shouldn't have aggro'd me in the first place. 

As far as everyone else that's using a sloop, there are lots of reasons. Every ship in the game should be viable or else why bother having them in the game in the first place? Victim blaming isn't exactly helpful. 

I actually spent 30 min yesterday looking for some to fight in our zone... ended up going to neighboring zones to find SotD to sink.   

Yes they spawn more,

other day 1 medium SOTD spawned right front of me, ill stop, SOTD dont move, i turn right SOTD turns right. i outsail that medium SOTD and another spawns left of me i go straight line ahead again third medium SOTD spawns, this goes on 6 medium SOTD until 7th medium SOTD spawns right front of me, and it was red. Then i decide turn left and go between 2 of medium SOTD, was able to outsail them.

Ill quess that sloop you could not have able to outsail medium SOTD.

Maby next patch we start seeing tiny SOTD.

We're you all perhaps in golden age ruin zones. If you didn't notice or hadn't been to one before, spawns were always much higher in these regions 

On 1/20/2019 at 9:00 AM, Olthoi said:

Last night, got ganged after spawning into a new zone,  Im just in a sloop.  Managed to turn around and go back through the zone, followed me.  Sank.  Now today, just sailing over one island with a zone in between, 20 minutes sail, SOTD all over the place.  And not only that, it seemed like each time I adjusted my direction to get the wind a new one would spawn ahead.  Not to mention they are closer to land again. They "tune" them?  Because this stinks.

Nobody likes getting ganged. I would definitely not want to get ganged 👎